Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody think that the Ori is wasted potential?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody think that the Ori is wasted potential?

I mean we finally get a glimpse into the universe where the ancients use to reside and instead of digging deep in that, they focus mainly on the Ori; and even then the Ori doesn't seem to be as big as a threat as everybody says since instead of being all-powerful they basically act as a more as a slightly more powerful and religious version of the Gou'ald.

So, anybody else think the Ori is wasted potential?
    Back from the grave.

In my eyes the Ori did represent a major threat. This threat was aimed not only towards the sentient species within the Milky Way, but the Ascended Ancient's as well. When judging the Ori, one must take into account just how they were forced to operate in MW. We're they to move in on the galaxy, using ascended abilities, the War with the Ancients they sought would have happened before they were prepared. To garner further strength, the Ori sent their followers to MW, and waging a proxy war, converted worlds to Origin. It was a patient way to go about their aims.

I would have loved to see an Ancient on Ori battle, but it was not to be.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexanderD View Post
      When judging the Ori, one must take into account just how they were forced to operate in MW. We're they to move in on the galaxy, using ascended abilities, the War with the Ancients they sought would have happened before they were prepared. To garner further strength, the Ori sent their followers to MW, and waging a proxy war, converted worlds to Origin. It was a patient way to go about their aims.
      I understand everything about them but the way they were portrayed didn't make them feel like a major threat; keep in mind that there were even episodes were the Ori were treated as if they were nothing and everybody went about their daily lives not worrying about whether or not the Ori would come and kill them since they are such a massive threat and all.
      Back from the grave.

Comment

A massive part of how the Ori were interpreted stems from the use of human proxies to fight their war. Had they torn through MW in their ascended forms, that perception would have been far different.

Comment

the Ori were a joke. for uber-powerful, extremely old, ascended beings, they were crappy as hell. a galaxy filled with medieval people to worship them and ships that were, well, quite powerful but nothing like you would expect from ascended Beings.

with their kind of power, they could simply make every star in their galaxy have multiple habitable planets. each inhabitable planet could support many billions of humans. they could've had millions of earths.

their ships were similarly disappointing. we've seen a taste of what Ancient (read: mortal non-ascended people) tech can do. it would beat the living crap out of Ori tech. the Ori are a pathetic idea that never should've been introduced.

i much prefer the Lucian Alliance. well, more the alliance of SGU. if Stargate SG1 had actually portrayed those people as having real, working brains, then they would've made a 1000x better enemy than the Ori ever were.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexanderD View Post
            A massive part of how the Ori were interpreted stems from the use of human proxies to fight their war. Had they torn through MW in their ascended forms, that perception would have been far different.
            If they hadn't had the humans and fought it out on the ascended planes, no one but the Ori and the Ancients would have known about them so the whole plot would have been redundant. Also, the Ori apparently needed the humans to become strong enough to defeat the Ancients, which isn't that surprising seeing how Oma Desala doesn't bat an eyelid when ascending a whole planet (Abydos) and all the humans in the MW galaxy that believe in a god of some kind could possibly be 'feeding' the Ancients too.
            Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
            Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
            On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Working...
            X