What happened to Sinclair's girlfriend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happened to Sinclair's girlfriend?

I've reached the end of season 3 and I had to watch the last two episodes of season 1 because at the time I didn't know there was a disc 6. Watching the last two episodes today of season 1 made me realize
    Spoiler:
    there was no follow-up on the ''upcoming'' marriage between Sinclair and his girlfriend even though they asked Garibaldi and Ivanova to be best man and maid of honour.

Did the writers cut her out because he
    Spoiler:
    had to be sent to Mimbari as an ambassador?

Or did I miss an episode explaining a break-up?

Thanks!

PS. This is on a need-to-know basis and I need to know!

Her....adventures post-Season 1 are addressed in the canon novel To Dream in the City of Sorrows, and her ultimate fate is alluded to (though not explicitly answered) in the comic In Valen's Name.

I'll not say just now what those stories are, in case you intend to read them. If not, just say and I'll change my mind
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I see, so it is never thoroughly explained in the show. I had no idea there was Babylon 5 novels, nevertheless thrilled.
      Are they any good?

Comment

Well, I just wrote a massive post for you, and then the ****ing gateworld bug ate it and left nothing. Not even a 'restore autosaved' option. So, nice job fixing that bug, guys.

So, djackson, a rewrite for you that's very very truncated compared to what I'd made up before, because I'm kind of pissed off now and not in the mood to do it over again.

The B5 canon:

2115-2189 -- Psi Corps Trilogy I: Dark Genesis - The Birth of the Psi Corps
        2195-2258 -- Psi Corps Trilogy II: Deadly Relations - Bester Ascendant
        2245-48 -- In the Beginning (main story)
        2256-2257 -- The Shadow Within
        2257 -- The Gathering
        2258 -- Babylon 5 Season 1

2258-2259 -- The Passing of the Techno-mages I: Casting Shadows
        2259 -- Babylon 5 Season 2
        2259 -- The Passing of the Techno-Mages II: Summoning Light
        2259-60 -- To Dream in the City of Sorrows
        2260 -- Babylon 5 Season 3
        2261 -- Babylon 5 Season 4, Thirdspace

2260-2261 -- The Passing of the Techno-Mages III: Invoking Darkness
        2262 -- Babylon 5 Season 5
        2262-2266 -- Legions of Fire I: The Long Night of Centauri Prime
        2263 -- River of Souls
        2265 -- The Legend of the Rangers
        2266 -- A Call to Arms
        2267 -- Crusade

2266-2271 -- Legions of Fire II: Armies of Light and Dark
        2271 -- The Lost Tales: Voices in the Dark
        2271-2278 -- Legions of Fire III: Out of the Darkness
        2277 -- In the Beginning (framing of story)
        2271-2281 -- Psi Corps Trilogy III: Final Reckoning - The Fate of Bester

I would recommend avoiding looking up any of the stories that are later than where you're currently watching. Even the B5 Wikia is quite, quite spoilery and you don't want to ruin anything for yourself.
        Last edited by DigiFluid; 25 February 2012, 11:11 AM.
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Ha ha! I can do even better, and already have!

http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/8...1#post12563685

Comment

Interesting to note as well from a production stand point that Sinclaire's girlfriend was originally going to die in season 2 to basically serve the role as Sheridan's wife later on.
            Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
              Interesting to note as well from a production stand point that Sinclaire's girlfriend was originally going to die in season 2 to basically serve the role as Sheridan's wife later on.
              Interesting, indeed!

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
              Well, I just wrote a massive post for you, and then the ****ing gateworld bug ate it and left nothing. Not even a 'restore autosaved' option. So, nice job fixing that bug, guys.

So, djackson, a rewrite for you that's very very truncated compared to what I'd made up before, because I'm kind of pissed off now and not in the mood to do it over again.

The B5 canon:

2115-2189 -- Psi Corps Trilogy I: Dark Genesis - The Birth of the Psi Corps
              2195-2258 -- Psi Corps Trilogy II: Deadly Relations - Bester Ascendant
              2245-48 -- In the Beginning (main story)
              2256-2257 -- The Shadow Within
              2257 -- The Gathering
              2258 -- Babylon 5 Season 1

2258-2259 -- The Passing of the Techno-mages I: Casting Shadows
              2259 -- Babylon 5 Season 2
              2259 -- The Passing of the Techno-Mages II: Summoning Light
              2259-60 -- To Dream in the City of Sorrows
              2260 -- Babylon 5 Season 3
              2261 -- Babylon 5 Season 4, Thirdspace

2260-2261 -- The Passing of the Techno-Mages III: Invoking Darkness
              2262 -- Babylon 5 Season 5
              2262-2266 -- Legions of Fire I: The Long Night of Centauri Prime
              2263 -- River of Souls
              2265 -- The Legend of the Rangers
              2266 -- A Call to Arms
              2267 -- Crusade

2266-2271 -- Legions of Fire II: Armies of Light and Dark
              2271 -- The Lost Tales: Voices in the Dark
              2271-2278 -- Legions of Fire III: Out of the Darkness
              2277 -- In the Beginning (framing of story)
              2271-2281 -- Psi Corps Trilogy III: Final Reckoning - The Fate of Bester

I would recommend avoiding looking up any of the stories that are later than where you're currently watching. Even the B5 Wikia is quite, quite spoilery and you don't want to ruin anything for yourself.
              I definitely know how it feels to type up a huge long post and have it erased! I feel your pain but I appreciate nonetheless the effort you put into answering my question! Green, green, green!!! Thank you! I will definitely look into them!

Comment

An
                Ha ha! I can do even better, and already have!

http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/8...1#post12563685
                Apparently I've already greened you!

Comment

Thanks

Just c/p-ing it here so that it has a home in a more current thread, plus a few minor tweaks based on more recent information.

The full, screen and page timeline (of things which JMS regards as canon to the universe) flows thus:

Spoiler:
                  2115-89
                  • Dark Genesis (Psi Corps Trilogy novel #1)

• Deadly Relations (Psi Corps Trilogy novel #2)

2256-7
                  • The Shadow Within (novel, but only the Icarus story is considered canon)

• "The Gathering"

• Babylon 5 Season 1

2258-9
                  • Casting Shadows (Passing of the Techno-Mages Trilogy novel #1 -- spans from before B5 1.22 into January 2259)

• In Darkness Find Me (comic)
                  • Babylon 5 2.01-02
                  • Treason (comic)
                  • In Harm's Way (comic)
                  • The Price of Peace (comic)
                  • Babylon 5 2.03-08
                  • Shadows Past and Present (comic arc)
                  • Babylon 5 2.09-22

2259-60
                  • To Dream in the City of Sorrows (novel spanning from Sinclair's departure from B5 to the beginning of 2260)
                  • Summoning Light (Passing of the Techno-Mages Trilogy novel #2, begins concurrent with B5 2.03 and spans until after B5 3.20)

• Babylon 5 Season 3
                  • Invoking Darkness (Passing of the Techno-Mages Trilogy novel #3, begins where book 2 left off and continues till after B5 3.22)

• Babylon 5 4.01-06
                  • In Valen's Name (comic)
                  • Babylon 5 4.07-08
                  • Babylon 5 4.09 (partial, only the first few minutes)
                  • "Thirdspace"
                  • Babylon 5 4.09 (remainder)
                  • Babylon 5 4.10-21

• Babylon 5 5.01-02
                  • Hidden Agendas (short story)
                  • Babylon 5 5.03-19
                  • Shadow of His Thoughts (short story begins 6 days after The Fall of Centauri Prime)
                  • Babylon 5 5.20-21
                  • Genius Loci (short story)

2262-66
                  • The Long Night of Centauri Prime (Centauri Trilogy novel #1, begins after "Shadow of His Thoughts" and continues till just before "Call to Arms"

• "River of Souls"

• The Nautilus Coil (short story)
                  • "The Legend of the Rangers"

2266-73
                  • Armies of Light and Dark (Centauri Trilogy novel #2)

• "A Call to Arms"

• Crusade Season 1 (varying orders possible)
                  • Crusade: To the Ends of the Earth (unfilmed script)
                  • Crusade: Value Judgements (unfilmed script)
                  • Crusade: Tried and True (unfilmed script)
                  • Crusade: War Story (unfilmed script)
                  • Crusade: The Walls of Hell (unfilmed script)
                  • Crusade: Untitled Part 3 of Sword trilogy (unfilmed script)
                  • Crusade: End of the Line (unfilmed script for Season 1 finale)
                  • Crusade: Little Bugs Have Lesser Bugs (unfilmed script)

• True Seeker (short story)

• Final Reckoning (Psi Corps Trilogy novel #3)
                  • The Lost Tales (comic)
                  • "The Lost Tales: Voices in the Dark"

2274-9
                  • Out of the Darkness (Centauri Trilogy novel #3)

• "In the Beginning" (framing of story in this period, and is concurrent with what Sheridan encounters when he travels to the future in Season 3's War Without End)

• Babylon 5 5.22 "Sleeping in Light"

• Space, Time and the Incurable Romantic (short story)

• Babylon 5 4.22 "The Deconstruction of Falling Stars"

NOTE: Whether the unfilmed Crusade scripts are canon or not remains a mystery. I opt to include them in chronological reckonings of the B5verse because JMS wrote them himself.

Again, this is a chronological approach, not necessarily a recommended approach (particularly with regards to 4.22 and 5.22).

Comment

Awesome! Have you read the series yourself? Are they amazing like the show?

Comment

Most of them are good, but for very different reasons.

The bad news first I suppose: what should have been the best of the lot, the Legions of Fire trilogy (and don't look that up till you're finished Season 5 or you'll spoil yourself bad), was actually really sloppy and poorly written. You could see the spots at which it seems JMS identified things he wanted to happen, but the guy doing the writing just did a really lousy job of telling the story that was going on between point A, point B, point C, etc. That, and whoever was editing did a really bad job of keeping track of the dates of the story vs. what you see on-screen. It's not uncommon to see a date in the book and have to think to yourself, 'okay, that's actually a year later than that'.

The third Psi Corps book is decent, but disappointing for reasons altogether different. It's still an entertaining book in its own right, but there are....Corps-related events on the horizon during Season 5, which have already happened in the past as of Crusade and get alluded to; which many many B5 fans wanted to see. The third Psi Corps book, instead of telling that story, skips ahead a number of years to tell a story about what a certain character is doing by then.

But, that's just the bad. There's also really great stuff too!

Casting Shadows, To Dream in the City of Sorrows, and the first two books of the Psi Corps trilogy are fascinating in how they so vividly expand on things that are hinted at on the show, but it's never really able to explore. Casting Shadows tells the story of what really happened to the Icarus and Sheridan's wife, City of Sorrows follows Sinclair from his departure from B5 up to the beginning of Season 3, and the first two Psi Corps books explore the origins of the Corps and how exactly it functions while people like Bester are growing up. Really good stuff.

The Techno-mages trilogy...was a complete shock to me. An extremely pleasant shock. I went into them with the mindset of "well, they were in one B5 episode and one of them popped in from time to time on Crusade--so who cares?" But they really surprised with how damned good they actually were, and the surprising new layer they brought to both the Shadows and the galaxy in general.

Generally the short stories are quite good too; taking little threads of story from here and there throughout the franchise and expanding on them just enough to be interesting, but without overstaying their welcome.

The only things on that list that I haven't read are the unfilmed Crusade scripts. I want to, really badly. But so far they've only appeared in a limited-publishing book that was absurdly expensive, so I haven't been able to get my hands on them =\

Comment

The Techno-mages were always interesting to me, especially when we learn a bit more about them in Crusade. They are probably the closest group to the first ones level of technology and knowledge that are left in the galaxy, even if they are hiding out.

I will have to try and find the novels, very few babylon 5 novels seem to be on sell. I wish there were more novels in B5 universe, but I guest it difficult for authors to get into it considering it was so tightly written and control by JMS

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                          The Techno-mages were always interesting to me, especially when we learn a bit more about them in Crusade. They are probably the closest group to the first ones level of technology and knowledge that are left in the galaxy, even if they are hiding out.

I will have to try and find the novels, very few babylon 5 novels seem to be on sell. I wish there were more novels in B5 universe, but I guest it difficult for authors to get into it considering it was so tightly written and control by JMS
                          After the departure of the First Ones, the three most powerful factions in the galaxy ended up being the Interstellar Alliance, the Drakh, and the Technomages. I'd say more but it'd spoil the Technomage novels. They were easily my favorite B5 novels.
                          sigpic

Comment

Most of them are good, but for very different reasons.

The bad news first I suppose: what should have been the best of the lot, the Legions of Fire trilogy (and don't look that up till you're finished Season 5 or you'll spoil yourself bad), was actually really sloppy and poorly written. You could see the spots at which it seems JMS identified things he wanted to happen, but the guy doing the writing just did a really lousy job of telling the story that was going on between point A, point B, point C, etc. That, and whoever was editing did a really bad job of keeping track of the dates of the story vs. what you see on-screen. It's not uncommon to see a date in the book and have to think to yourself, 'okay, that's actually a year later than that'.

The third Psi Corps book is decent, but disappointing for reasons altogether different. It's still an entertaining book in its own right, but there are....Corps-related events on the horizon during Season 5, which have already happened in the past as of Crusade and get alluded to; which many many B5 fans wanted to see. The third Psi Corps book, instead of telling that story, skips ahead a number of years to tell a story about what a certain character is doing by then.

But, that's just the bad. There's also really great stuff too!

Casting Shadows, To Dream in the City of Sorrows, and the first two books of the Psi Corps trilogy are fascinating in how they so vividly expand on things that are hinted at on the show, but it's never really able to explore. Casting Shadows tells the story of what really happened to the Icarus and Sheridan's wife, City of Sorrows follows Sinclair from his departure from B5 up to the beginning of Season 3, and the first two Psi Corps books explore the origins of the Corps and how exactly it functions while people like Bester are growing up. Really good stuff.

The Techno-mages trilogy...was a complete shock to me. An extremely pleasant shock. I went into them with the mindset of "well, they were in one B5 episode and one of them popped in from time to time on Crusade--so who cares?" But they really surprised with how damned good they actually were, and the surprising new layer they brought to both the Shadows and the galaxy in general.

Generally the short stories are quite good too; taking little threads of story from here and there throughout the franchise and expanding on them just enough to be interesting, but without overstaying their welcome.

The only things on that list that I haven't read are the unfilmed Crusade scripts. I want to, really badly. But so far they've only appeared in a limited-publishing book that was absurdly expensive, so I haven't been able to get my hands on them =\
                            Very late in responding but thank you for the detailled recommendations!!! I'll surely check them out after I've done the serie (which should be soon!)

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
                              After the departure of the First Ones, the three most powerful factions in the galaxy ended up being the Interstellar Alliance, the Drakh, and the Technomages. I'd say more but it'd spoil the Technomage novels. They were easily my favorite B5 novels.
                              Thanks for the recommendations!

Comment

Working...
                              X