PDA

View Full Version : Out of curiosity, what makes this show so good?

Gen. Chris
February 23rd, 2012, 06:54 PM
It seems, from what I have heard, that this show has a small but loyal fanbase, and that Fox has been taking care of it for a while. Can't help but wonder what makes the show so good, so I decided, why not ask the fans...

So what makes this show so good?

DigiFluid
February 23rd, 2012, 06:59 PM
It seems, from what I have heard, that this show has a small but loyal fanbase, and that Fox has been taking care of it for a while. Can't help but wonder what makes the show so good, so I decided, why not ask the fans...

Well, you heard at least partially wrong. FOX appears to be doing everything in their power to kill Fringe.

Anyway it's something rather unique. The characters are great and incredibly likeable, it's well shot, obviously high production quality, the acting is great, and maybe most important--the showrunners are doing a phenomenal job of spooling out answers to mysteries and even more mysterious questions. It's a show where you frequently feel like you know what's going on, and then a reveal comes along that makes you go 'ohhhhh', and you find yourself thinking back on how you didn't think of that before. And then you wonder what else you don't know :D

Gen. Chris
February 23rd, 2012, 07:01 PM
Hm...My mistake then. But if they really wanted it gone why not pull the plug?

DigiFluid
February 23rd, 2012, 07:08 PM
Last year they moved it into the Friday Night Death Slot. It held its ratings--barely, so there was no cause to cancel it.

This year they're whining that it's losing money...without bothering to mention that a) THEY PUT IT IN THE FRIDAY NIGHT DEATH SLOT; or b) that their scheduling of the show since its return for Season 4 has been erratic at best.

They premiered this season in late September, aired four episodes....and then disappeared from the schedule for 3 weeks for the damned baseball finals. Then they aired three more...before taking another two months break (mid-Nov till mid-Jan). Since January they'll have aired seven consecutive weeks as of tomorrow night which seems like a real credit, until you look at the schedule and see they've removed it again for another month (after tomorrow, Feb 24, it doesn't return till Mar 23).

J-Whitt Remastered
February 23rd, 2012, 07:48 PM
Well, you heard at least partially wrong. FOX appears to be doing everything in their power to kill Fringe.

Anyway it's something rather unique. The characters are great and incredibly likeable, it's well shot, obviously high production quality, the acting is great, and maybe most important--the showrunners are doing a phenomenal job of spooling out answers to mysteries and even more mysterious questions. It's a show where you frequently feel like you know what's going on, and then a reveal comes along that makes you go 'ohhhhh', and you find yourself thinking back on how you didn't think of that before. And then you wonder what else you don't know :D

Digi has it right. It's a unique, well acted show that actually gives some answers to some of the mysteries that are so vital to the show. I agree that Fox seems to be trying to bury the show and forget about it.

Tanith0709
February 24th, 2012, 02:21 PM
Like most of J. J. Abram's work it's just an amazing story with a wonderful, likeable cast.

The show has good elements of sci-fi, mystery and humour. Also like that it make you think, ask questions, compels you to keep watching in order to find out answers (A little like Lost in that respect).

ZRFTS
February 24th, 2012, 09:45 PM
It's J.J. Abrams, he puts a certain kind of magic into shows that makes them appealing. Even though he doesn't produce the shows, trace elements remain; elements such as the characters, the moments, the acting, the mystery, the world; I've come to treat Fringe characters like my characters and I would be antsy if I missed them for just one second. Same goes for Lost.

the fifth man
February 25th, 2012, 07:53 PM
Like most of J. J. Abram's work it's just an amazing story with a wonderful, likeable cast.

The show has good elements of sci-fi, mystery and humour. Also like that it make you think, ask questions, compels you to keep watching in order to find out answers (A little like Lost in that respect).

I totally agree with your post. Couldn't have said it any better myself.

LtColCarter
May 9th, 2012, 09:43 AM
It's J.J. Abrams, he puts a certain kind of magic into shows that makes them appealing. Even though he doesn't produce the shows, trace elements remain; elements such as the characters, the moments, the acting, the mystery, the world; I've come to treat Fringe characters like my characters and I would be antsy if I missed them for just one second. Same goes for Lost.

I concur! :D

TheRandomOne
May 9th, 2012, 09:49 AM
Mantis duh

LtColCarter
May 9th, 2012, 01:19 PM
Mantis duh

Mantis?

TheRandomOne
May 9th, 2012, 01:46 PM
Mantis?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoyJoafvysc

the fifth man
May 9th, 2012, 05:50 PM
Mantis duh

That was a pretty funny scene. Made me smile.:)

fumblesmcstupid
May 11th, 2012, 06:07 PM
The reason I like Fringe is because of the characters/actors.

Jasika is such an amazing actress and I love how much she gives to Astrid. Astrid is small part, but I always watch for her.

Anna is just as amazing. She holds her own and I believe in Olivia because of her.

John is so wonderful as Walter and his reality/insanity just shines through and is enjoyable and weird at the same time.

Joshua he plays Peter with all his heart and i love his portrayal of him.

Lance is a stern Broyals and his acting is great in every universe we see him in.

Blair is so devious as Nina and you question her every move.

LtColCarter
May 11th, 2012, 08:46 PM
The reason I like Fringe is because of the characters/actors.

Jasika is such an amazing actress and I love how much she gives to Astrid. Astrid is small part, but I always watch for her.

Anna is just as amazing. She holds her own and I believe in Olivia because of her.

John is so wonderful as Walter and his reality/insanity just shines through and is enjoyable and weird at the same time.

Joshua he plays Peter with all his heart and i love his portrayal of him.

Lance is a stern Broyals and his acting is great in every universe we see him in.

Blair is so devious as Nina and you question her every move.

Very good breakdown!

LT. COL. John Sheppard
May 11th, 2012, 08:58 PM
The friday night death slot?

LtColCarter
May 14th, 2012, 07:50 AM
The friday night death slot?

Yeah...I don't call it that either. But some people think that when shows aren't doing well...they're moved to Friday night so they can "die."

DigiFluid
May 14th, 2012, 03:36 PM
It's not "some people," it's well-known and -understood television terminology in use since around the 60s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friday_night_death_slot

LtColCarter
May 15th, 2012, 08:49 AM
It's not "some people," it's well-known and -understood television terminology in use since around the 60s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friday_night_death_slot

For me...its "some people," since I'd never heard Friday night referred to as a "death slot" until this year actually.

DigiFluid
May 15th, 2012, 10:06 AM
That makes about as much sense as "some people say there was this show called Star Trek" :p

LtColCarter
May 15th, 2012, 11:35 AM
That makes about as much sense as "some people say there was this show called Star Trek" :p

Ok...let me simplify it. Until this year (TV viewing season) I'd never heard the terminology "Friday Night Death Slot." In addition, you sited a wiki website. I don't give credibility to those sites because anyone can edit a wiki and post what they please.

DigiFluid
May 16th, 2012, 05:08 AM
It's an article that's about a page long, with 21 citations. And has been common TV parlance for many, many years....

LtColCarter
May 16th, 2012, 09:01 AM
*bows down* excuse me if I have better things to do than keep up with "common TV parlance."

Don Pantaloons
September 23rd, 2012, 04:27 PM

The characters (Walter in particular, who is one of my favorite characters ever), the writing, the acting. Pretty much everything. :)

the fifth man
September 23rd, 2012, 05:48 PM
The characters (Walter in particular, who is one of my favorite characters ever), the writing, the acting. Pretty much everything. :)

No arguing with that.:)

LtColCarter
September 29th, 2012, 06:36 PM

Very well said! :D

Gen. Chris
January 3rd, 2013, 01:47 PM
Well, turns out Fringe is on Amazon Prime...So it looks like I might check it out soon. The list of sci-fi shows is becoming more and more sparse since I started on my quest of watching a bunch.

Wulfmann
September 23rd, 2013, 06:06 PM
It starts quickly grabbing your interest.
It advances into a series of curiosities that make you want to continue until it springs a theme that pretty much hooks you into looking forward to what and how it will progress and as it does it it throws curves that surprise you with a "Wow, didn't expect that"

I am nearing the end of season 3 now and watch two episodes each night and look forward to my evening TV time (I watch no other programing but a couple hours via DVD each night)

Wulfmann

linux geek
November 13th, 2013, 02:45 PM
thanks for this was wondering the same have season 1 ready to watch but never got round to it think I will give this a go