Fate of Goa'uld Symbs after defeat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fate of Goa'uld Symbs after defeat?

I guess the goa'uld were considered defeated only after Baal was killed. If so, what would be the fate of all the symbiotes on the home planet and elsewhere? Isn't it likely they would find a way to find hosts somewhere and start the process all over again?
    Weren't there still symbiotes all over the galaxy?

Originally posted by Dave2 View Post
    I guess the goa'uld were considered defeated only after Baal was killed. If so, what would be the fate of all the symbiotes on the home planet and elsewhere? Isn't it likely they would find a way to find hosts somewhere and start the process all over again?
    The Goa'uld were allowed to flourish because they had no one to oppose them. That's simply not the case anymore.

Could they theoretically come back? Yes, a bit. But never to the same degree as before
    sigpic

Comment

A resurgence of the Goa'uld to a small degree is a certainty. Establishing uncontested domain over the galaxy is unlikely at best. The Tauri, Jaffa, and Lucian Alliance would pose a large stumbling block to any such aspiration.

Comment

Not to mention that the Jaffa could simply rip out immature symbiotes, kill them and use tretonin to survive.
        Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
        Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
        On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
          Not to mention that the Jaffa could simply rip out immature symbiotes, kill them and use tretonin to survive.
          That is another contributing argument supporting my position. Good point Fems!

Comment

I am not sure I understand why goa'uld system lords could not be reconstituted by new goa'uld taking hosts. Who controlled all the goa'uld infrastructure in the galaxy?
            Weren't there fresh mature goa'uld in the wild just waiting to take over?
            And then there were holdovers like Kinsey who could easily transfer to new hosts.I suppose it could be a subject for fan fiction.

Originally posted by AlexanderD View Post
            That is another contributing argument supporting my position. Good point Fems!

Comment

The Goa'uld infrastructure fell into the hands of the Free Jaffa Nation, Lucian Alliance, Earth to a lesser extent, and the Tok'ra to an even lesser extent. Yes, wild Goa'uld could take hosts. Would they have the genetic memory of Goa'uld symbiotes bred by Queens within the System Lords? Unsure. Kinsey? What season of SG-1 are you on?

Any Goa'uld resurgence would be forced to take the guise on an infiltration. Lacking a fleet, resources, troops, and a general secure base of operations, they would have no chance at a head to head power grab.

Comment

If you haven't seen all ten seasons, that would explain much.

Comment

Meaning that the only incentive for goa'uld to take hosts is acquisition of power, so that if this were not available then the mature symbiotes would remain swimming around especially since no new queens were spawning and no Jaffa were available.

I am not sure I understand why goa'uld system lords could not be reconstituted by new goa'uld taking hosts. Who controlled all the goa'uld infrastructure in the galaxy?
                  Weren't there fresh mature goa'uld in the wild just waiting to take over?
                  And then there were holdovers like Kinsey who could easily transfer to new hosts.I suppose it could be a subject for fan fiction.

Comment

Without new queens the goa'uld would go extinct eventually. Are there any queens still around?

It's possible that there might be a wild queen or a few on their native planet still spawning, but they wouldn't have the genetic memories of the system lords.
                    sigpic

Comment

Does that mean that the average adult symbiote swimming around somewhere essentially would have no interest in seeking a host because the chances for acquisition of power are virtually nil? And if so, then that means that the goa'uld did not seek a host merely for enjoying a human existence for its own sake and would not present any danger of any kind.

By contrast, it is possible that priors or soldiers of the now defunct Ori would be interested in maintaining power even without the Ori or even the Orici, simply as an advanced equivalent of the Lucian Alliance.

Originally posted by maneth View Post
                      Without new queens the goa'uld would go extinct eventually. Are there any queens still around?

It's possible that there might be a wild queen or a few on their native planet still spawning, but they wouldn't have the genetic memories of the system lords.

Comment

The Goa'uld are on the run. They are still a threat, but no longer a galactic threat. They were more or less defeated as of "Reckoning, Part 2." The Replicators finished what Earth, the Jaffa rebellion, and the Tok'ra started. Ba'al got away. He wasn't the last Goa'uld, just the last System Lord, the last Goa'uld of any real power. Remember the whole Trust storyline? Even Caldwell on Atlantis was revealed to have a Goa'uld in him. Did the Goa'uld impersonate him or only take over when it needed to? Regardless, they'll always be a threat... they're just not conquerors anymore.

Comment

Then knowing the defeat of their system lords, what might the average goa'uld with a host have done with his life especially since they are able to live for thousands of years??
                          Not to mention all the snakes still swimming around who may or may not still want a host.

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
                          The Goa'uld are on the run. They are still a threat, but no longer a galactic threat. They were more or less defeated as of "Reckoning, Part 2." The Replicators finished what Earth, the Jaffa rebellion, and the Tok'ra started. Ba'al got away. He wasn't the last Goa'uld, just the last System Lord, the last Goa'uld of any real power. Remember the whole Trust storyline? Even Caldwell on Atlantis was revealed to have a Goa'uld in him. Did the Goa'uld impersonate him or only take over when it needed to? Regardless, they'll always be a threat... they're just not conquerors anymore.

Comment

Then knowing the defeat of their system lords, what might the average goa'uld with a host have done with his life especially since they are able to live for thousands of years??
                            Not to mention all the snakes still swimming around who may or may not still want a host.
                            They're only able to live for centuries and longer if they have access to a sarcophagus and that's not something every Goa'uld can get their hands on. From what we've seen it's likely that only the more powerful Goa'uld have one.
                            Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                            Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                            On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

So it sounds like there really wouldn't have been any signfiicant incentive either for the average symbiote to want a host or for one that already has a host to do anything significant beyond perhaps getting rich and having his own servants in his own little unimportant fiefdom.
                              And a tok'ra like Zelmak managed to live a good few hundred years. So I suppose the average symbiote might want to get a host to at least have a fun few hundred years.

Comment

Working...
                              X