I think we've found Atlantis!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think we've found Atlantis!!!!

The Hubble planet has found a new class of planets, that consist of more water than land.... All they need to do now is find an ancient outpost on it!!!
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17117030

Uh... Stargate isn't real...

Comment

It must be, because I found a buried gate outside my house over the weekend
      GetAttachment.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Dazzle foot View Post
        The Hubble planet has found a new class of planets, that consist of more water than land.... All they need to do now is find an ancient outpost on it!!!
        Woo-hoo!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
          Uh... Stargate isn't real...
          Shun the nonbeliever...SHUN!
          sigpic

Comment

The planet is 2.7 times Earth's diameter weighing 7 times as much and it has more water. Well no kidding. What genious does it take to figure out that a bigger planet than ours but similar class has more water? I can only hope that was meant to mean percentage-wise relative to size of planet there is more water.... otherwise it seems like pure conjecture to discuss its composition.

Comment

Originally posted by Dazzle foot View Post
              Sweet... There's always one fantasy that I wanted to do, and that is to live on a world entirely inhabited by water while searching for that one piece of land.
              Back from the grave.

Comment

Originally posted by terminator View Post
                otherwise it seems like pure conjecture to discuss its composition.
                Isn't there an optical technique for identifying the atmospheric content?

Comment

Originally posted by Quizziard View Post
                  Yes, its called astronomical spectroscopy.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexanderD View Post
                    Yes, its called astronomical spectroscopy.
                    Can't we just send a member of the SGC through the Stargate, even in a Jumper, grab a small sample, bring it back and whack it in a slightly more commonplace GCMS?

Comment

Yeah I typed that in a hurry and should have worded it better. I really only meant to continue making fun of the really stupidly obvious statement about it being bigger and having more water. Now of course there could be a planet technically that is bigger with less water but when I read that headline it just comes across like they are making this really bold prediction or announcing a startling fact when statistically if there is a planet nearly 3 times the size of earth that we know has water then even a 3 year old could probably come to the conclusion that it most likely has more water. I was at the time posting on both gateworld and gawker/io9, which promote snark and sarcasm, and should have more deliberately chose words differently for a different audience. My bad. I promise I do have a rudimentary knowledge base of most things biology/chemistry/physics/astronomy through college and/or hobbies. Won't happen again.

Comment

Can't we just send a member of the SGC through the Stargate, even in a Jumper, grab a small sample, bring it back and whack it in a slightly more commonplace GCMS?
                        You could, but the discipline I listed is a unique and incredible capability. This method makes possible an analysis without personnel exposure to other environments.

Comment

Working...
                        X