What if? A sequel trilogy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What if? A sequel trilogy

Never mind us guessing at what EU works it could be, or even factoring in the prequels. It seems that, as far back as during the production of ESB, there was some interesting chatter on ideas for a potential sequel trilogy. A lot of this seems to get lost in the chatter, but damn some of it really is intriguing.

Lifting out of Wookieepedia here--and do remember, when this stuff was dribbling out, the only Star Wars movie was the original. Much of this is from Empire Strikes back was still being referred to as Star Wars II, or else only shortly after RotJ...

The Basics

Based on early statements from Lucasfilm, this set of films would have taken place from approximately 40 years after the events depicted in Return of the Jedi.

The sequel trilogy was to feature Luke Skywalker as a Jedi Master in his sixties, passing on the torch to the next generation of Jedi, the dismantlement of the last remnants of the Empire and the rebuilding of the Galactic Republic. It would also have concerned the re-establishment of the Jedi Order, as foreshadowed by Yoda's line in Return of the Jedi, "Pass on what you have learned." According to a 1983 Time magazine article, its main theme would have been "the necessity for moral choices and the wisdom needed to distinguish right from wrong".

George Lucas mentioned the sequel trilogy in an interview published in Denise Worrell's 1983 book Icons: Intimate Portraits. In the chapter entitled "The Dark Side of George Lucas", Lucas is reported to have only a vague notion of what will happen in the three films of a sequel trilogy. He is quoted as saying "If the first trilogy is social and political and talks about how society evolves, Star Wars is more about personal growth and self realization, and the third deals with moral and philosophical problems. The sequel is about Jedi Knighthood, justice, confrontation, and passing on what you have learned."

Gary Kurtz's recollections

Gary Kurtz, the producer of A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back, recalls that the outline for a sequel trilogy was "very vague", outlining Skywalker's journey to becoming the premiere Jedi Knight in the Obi-Wan Kenobi mold, and his ultimate confrontation with Emperor Palpatine. According to Kurtz, early plans for this trilogy would have included the introduction of Luke's sister (who was not slated to be Princess Leia), and the first appearance of the Emperor, elements that were incorporated into Return of the Jedi once Kurtz and Lucas parted ways after The Empire Strikes Back.

Other reports have revealed that Luke and Leia were not originally going to be related, and that Luke would eventually find his sister sometime in the sequels. Episode VII would have ended with Leia being crowned as queen of the remaining Alderaanians, and originally the Emperor was not to make an appearance until Episode IX.

Gary Kurtz further revealed the original plans for the sequels in 1999 to fans:

Episode VI was not to have a second Death Star, and Han was to be killed off in the final battle against the Empire. Luke was to confront Vader only to go on with life alone.

The third trilogy starting with Episode VII was to deal with Luke's life as a Jedi.

Episode VIII was to deal with Luke's sister (not Leia) coming from another part of the galaxy and Luke was to become a Jedi Master and pass on his training to her.

Episode IX was to feature the appearance of the Emperor and have Luke and his sister confront him on the Imperial Capital Planet of Had Abbadon, possibly bringing about the Return of the Republic and the Jedi Order.

Episodes VII, VIII, and IX would have taken place from approximately 40 ABY to 203 ABY, based on early facts from Lucas.

Protagonist

According to Michael Kaminski's The Secret History of Star Wars, the protagonist of the third trilogy was to have been Luke Skywalker's protege or successor. Just as Obi-Wan Kenobi was to be the protagonist of the Prequel Trilogy and Luke Skywalker was the hero of the Original Trilogy, Luke's student was to be the hero of the final/third trilogy. This is supported by George Lucas's quotes about one of the themes of the sequel trilogy being "passing on what you have learned".

Given the complete absence of any other possibility, it is most likely that this character was to be the 'Other' that Yoda referred to in The Empire Strikes Back. However, George Lucas has also claimed that Yoda's line was merely a dramatic device employed to heighten the threat to Luke - if the audience thought that the Jedi could continue without him, the possibility that Luke might die was not as credible.

It is important to note that at the time The Empire Strikes Back was made, Leia was not intended to be Luke's sister or the 'Other'. This has been corroborated by both Gary Kurtz and Mark Hamill. By the time Return Of The Jedi was being scripted, George Lucas had decided that the story would not continue past Episode VI, and so, had to tie up this loose end. Making Leia both Luke's sister and the Other did so, as well as resolving the love triangle with Han.

Who this 'Other' character was originally intended to be, beyond a plot device, is completely unknown. Although George Lucas has written the line off as a 'cheap trick', it is likely that he was also using it as a convenient set-up for the sequel trilogy.

Other interesting bits

Mark Hamill has said that George Lucas asked him to play Luke as an Obi-Wan type character who passes on the Excalibur to the next young hope in Episode IX, and that the sequels were to feature new characters with Hamill making a cameo in Episode IX. These sequels were to be made around 2011. In a 2004 interview, Hamill said: "You know, when I first did this, it was four trilogies. 12 movies! And out on the desert, any time between setups...lots of free time. And George was talking about this whole thing. I said, 'Why are you starting with IV, V and VI? It's crazy.' [Imitating Lucas grumble,] 'It's the most commercial section of the movie.' He said the first trilogy's darker, more serious. And the impression I got, he said, 'Um, how'd you like to be in Episode IX?' This is 1976. 'When is that going to be?' '2011.' I defy anyone to add 36 years to their lives and not be stunned. Even an eight year old is like, 'No, I'll never be 47.' So I did the math and figured out how old I'd be. I said, 'Well, what do you want me to do?' He said, 'You'll just be like a cameo. You'll be like Obi-Wan handing the lightsaber down to the next new hope." George Lucas has dismissed this as nothing more than an off-hand comment.

Mark Hamill said at a convention in 1998 that George Lucas talked to him about doing one more movie. However, instead of live action it would be a CGI film, and Lucas only wanted the original cast of Hamill, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher and Billy Dee Williams to lend their voices for their roles as an aging Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Princess Leia and Lando Calrissian, passing on the torch of adventure to others. Luke would of course be an Obi-Wan/Yoda-type Jedi Master and the film would be set decades after Return of the Jedi. The film was to be made around 2010. That plan was discarded.

Kind of makes the imagination run--particularly if it were 1970s-80s Lucas doing the filmmaking, instead of 1999-present George Lucas.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

I'd read some similar things...I also found complete synopsis of episodes VII, VIII, and IX. I'll see if I can find 'em again.
    sigpic

Comment

I hope you dont mean the ones on Supershadow.com

N.C

Comment

Originally posted by Nth Chevron View Post
        I hope you dont mean the ones on Supershadow.com

N.C
        No...that wasn't the name of the website...I'll have to do some diging...
        sigpic

Comment

I've always wondered what the third trilogy would be like but I never imagined it would be about handing down the torch. Lucas's ideas are pretty interesting and if he actually done it instead of ending it at Return of the Jedi then things would be different and the series would either be more respected or ridiculed; if included with the prequel trilogy, it would of been 9 films which (despite the prequel saga sucking) would of been really impressive.
          Back from the grave.

Comment

Originally posted by Zombies Rise from the Sea View Post
            I've always wondered what the third trilogy would be like but I never imagined it would be about handing down the torch. Lucas's ideas are pretty interesting and if he actually done it instead of ending it at Return of the Jedi then things would be different and the series would either be more respected or ridiculed; if included with the prequel trilogy, it would of been 9 films which (despite the prequel saga sucking) would of been really impressive.
            If you notice...he took a break between the original 3 movies and the prequels.
            sigpic

Comment

Well today if they were going to do a prequel trilogy they couldn't disregard EU since it is apart of Star Wars canon. I personally would want to see a sequel trilogy where it takes place about 1,000 years after the events of the Battle of Yavin, and there is a new Sith Empire that is rising, and a third Galactic Republic just called The Republic, and the New Jedi Order must deafeat it. The space battles that would result from a Sith Empire-Galactic Republic war would be so epic.
              1 “Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me. 2 In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also. 4 And where I go you know, and the way you know.”
              5 Thomas said to Him, “Lord, we do not know where You are going, and how can we know the way?”
              6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.

John 14:1-6

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
                If you notice...he took a break between the original 3 movies and the prequels.
                I know that, but still.... It would of been impressive had he kept going on instead of taking a break and letting special-effects George Lucas take over.
                Back from the grave.

Comment

It certainly would've been an interesting and unique way of doing things, a movie saga with a new chapter coming out every 3-5 years. You don't see much of that in film--Friday the 13th and James Bond are the only ones I can think of. I wonder if it might've diluted the brand though, and not allowed for the Expanded Universe as we know it to grow.

Still, the bits and pieces of the supposed sequel trilogy as envisioned ca. 1979-83 really intrigue me. Be nice to be able to pop over to an alternate universe where they were made and check them out
                  "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                    It certainly would've been an interesting and unique way of doing things, a movie saga with a new chapter coming out every 3-5 years. You don't see much of that in film--Friday the 13th and James Bond are the only ones I can think of. I wonder if it might've diluted the brand though, and not allowed for the Expanded Universe as we know it to grow.

Still, the bits and pieces of the supposed sequel trilogy as envisioned ca. 1979-83 really intrigue me. Be nice to be able to pop over to an alternate universe where they were made and check them out
                    You forgot Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit, about time the Hobbit was made lol.

Comment

No I didn't, that'll only be 5 movies total

Comment

For the love of God don't ever mention Supershadow; I got a knife what that punk @$$ dude's name on it. Guy had me fooled way back in '03 for almost two years until I inquired of some folks in '04 and early '05 and then his web of lies fell apart, and the moment I called him out on his BS, dude blocked me. The only actuality I know of that concerns Star wars is that George's wife helped him make the series awesome, at least the first two films, by the third one, they had divorced, and it shows. George is still cool though, but never reference that punk SuperShadow again; his midichlorians list be damned!

edit: I remember supershadow a bit earlier than that, a little ways after the release of Phantom Menace, but I didn't follow him until '02 I think.

Comment

Working...
                        X