Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ZPM vs. naquadria planet

blow up ZPM=Blow up solar system
    Blow up naquadria planet=Blow up naquadria planet with shock wake around the surounding area

How is it again that Naquadria planets are more powerful then ZPMs?

ZPM's can provide the entirety of their power in very little time, something which I doubt a naquadria core could do without exploding in the process.

The core would probably also last much longer providing certain amounts of power, as the core is a massive reaction of constantly revolving material and thus powers itself. A ZPM runs out.

Comment

There's never been any episode where they have stated blowing up a ZPM destroys the solar system. It was when Camulus' material when added to the ZPM surface that this would happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Inquisitor View Post
        There's never been any episode where they have stated blowing up a ZPM destroys the solar system. It was when Camulus' material when added to the ZPM surface that this would happen.
        well ya, but what could possibly amplify an explosion that much

Comment

Possibly the harvesting of zero point energy from this space time. Consult the SGA episode Trinity.

Comment

It's pixie dust, I don't think it has a possible explanation behind it.

Comment

blow up ZPM=Blow up solar system
              Blow up naquadria planet=Blow up naquadria planet with shock wake around the surounding area
              uh no. we saw the naquahdriah planet in the process of exploding. really, if such a reaction could blast away the surface in seconds, the explosion would've been far worse than just "the surroundig area"

using calculations based upon naquahdah density and energy the planet at it's lowest energy content would've been a supernova. remember, a naquahdah ASTEROID already is a nova (and it wasn't even pure). the core of a planet made of naquahdriah would be enough to produce a supernova.

Comment

let's say there's a gas that has pixie dust in it, that exist inside a ZPM, and when they start sucking energy from other dimensions, they are not to be released in real space since they'd start sucking energy from the space around us, which would result in a big bomb.

the only way to stop the process is to use them to the point that they become inert which means the ZPM is depleted.

And this pixie dust gas if exposed to any effect, space, extreme heat, whatever, will still try and suck energy from another dimension. Which would result in destroying a solar system, or an area aproximate (10 AU ?)

Comment

let's say there's a gas that has pixie dust in it, that exist inside a ZPM, and when they start sucking energy from other dimensions, they are not to be released in real space since they'd start sucking energy from the space around us, which would result in a big bomb.

the only way to stop the process is to use them to the point that they become inert which means the ZPM is depleted.

And this pixie dust gas if exposed to any effect, space, extreme heat, whatever, will still try and suck energy from another dimension. Which would result in destroying a solar system, or an area aproximate (10 AU ?)

... what?

a ZPM drains energy from space itself. since mr Quantum Physics doesn't like this, the inherent quantum uncertainty goes through the roof and stuff pops into existence that you really don't want to. when there is no more energy to drain, and thus the chaos (entropy) is maximal, the ZPM dies

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                    ... what?

a ZPM drains energy from space itself. since mr Quantum Physics doesn't like this, the inherent quantum uncertainty goes through the roof and stuff pops into existence that you really don't want to. when there is no more energy to drain, and thus the chaos (entropy) is maximal, the ZPM dies
                    Essentially, the gist of what I wrote, pertained to how a ZPM could blow up a solar system, yet suspiciously, remain incapable of dialing Destiny (of course the writers wrote themselves into a booboo, but under these constraints, let us forgo the actuality of their inconsistency, and instead, pay dimes to the potentiality of why things are, as they say).

But what you're saying is, that by knowing the location of a particle, that some how it would cause the particle to go critical? Or is it, that by pulling energy from areas within our space time, that the incoming energies, or bunches of quanta(?) doesn't fair well within our space time, and could have elements of anti-space and anti-time?

Or is it, some form of fusion started within the ZPM continually pulls energy from a selected area of space time within the ZPM, but once released into space, this form of fusion (or pixie dust), attempts to do the same to our space time, but unlike the ZPM's microscopic pocket of space time within it's inner-verse, this pixie dust, or form of fusion (term used liberally, create a more accurate one if you prefer), continually tries to pull this energy type, or form of energy from the entire universe. Perhaps it has something to do with Decoherence, the affect of the micro connecting with the macro and something being lost, or some unknown chain reaction is created at this point, spiraling towards chaos, like a stone of the micro meeting the pond of the macro, and until the ripple mets out it's potential, the wave will continue.

Comment

Originally posted by Coremae View Post
                      But what you're saying is, that by knowing the location of a particle, that some how it would cause the particle to go critical? Or is it, that by pulling energy from areas within our space time, that the incoming energies, or bunches of quanta(?) doesn't fair well within our space time, and could have elements of anti-space and anti-time?
                      The second one does have merit; I mean from what I read in a similar forum thread, the ancients were working on gathering the energy from the universe itself as a means of increasing productions of ZPMs to fight off the Wraith. Now I'm guessing that since the energy is gathered from the Universe and since they might of had a refined way of processing that energy; the ZPM's themselves are delicate to tampering and any sort of major tampering might cause the particles to react in a way that'd destroy the universe. Since we have no idea how these particles work, the size of the explosion is uncertain but the warnings given to us are nothing to laugh about.

I agree, they did write themselves into a corner with the ZPM thing but hey, they know nothing much about the ZPM's them we do; there are thousands of possibilities to how a ZPM might work and how it might destroy the universe if improperly used, all we can do is sit back and imagine those possibilities.
                      Back from the grave.

Comment

Originally posted by Zombies Rise from the Sea View Post
                        The second one does have merit; I mean from what I read in a similar forum thread, the ancients were working on gathering the energy from the universe itself as a means of increasing productions of ZPMs to fight off the Wraith. Now I'm guessing that since the energy is gathered from the Universe and since they might of had a refined way of processing that energy; the ZPM's themselves are delicate to tampering and any sort of major tampering might cause the particles to react in a way that'd destroy the universe. Since we have no idea how these particles work, the size of the explosion is uncertain but the warnings given to us are nothing to laugh about.

I agree, they did write themselves into a corner with the ZPM thing but hey, they know nothing much about the ZPM's them we do; there are thousands of possibilities to how a ZPM might work and how it might destroy the universe if improperly used, all we can do is sit back and imagine those possibilities.
                        To the part I've bolded of your post, no the Ancients weren't going to use Arcturus to make more ZPMs, at least that's how that part of your post reads to me.
                        Arcturus was to be their new uber power source.
                        ZPMs are much less capable than Arcturus was in the amount of power they can generate at a given moment.
                        Arcturus was able to generate 24 times the power of a ZPM and that was a prototype.
                        A ZPM was compared to an alkaline battery by a member of the Atlantis team (I think it was Rodney, but I can't remember for sure), it in itself is a method of harnessing power from an isolated region of subspace, subspace is full of energy in the gateverse, so providing power from the vacume of space to each ZPMs regon of subspace isn't necessary.
                        No one knows why the Ancients isolated regions of subspace to tap power from in ZPMs, especially when we know of at least one craft (the Daedalus in Daedalus Variations) that could directly tap power from subspace, it may have something to do with the speed by which a ZPM can unload it's full power output that it can gather throughout it's lifespan, but we know subspace energy can be harnessed directly from it's source just like Arcturus harnessed it's power directly from the vacume of space.

BTW it's never been stated that a ZPM has the power to destroy the universe, the device in Mckay and Mrs Miller could destroy a universe by tapping power from the real space vacume of other universes and that process would actually cause exotic particles to form within alternate universes, a ZPM simply isn't powerful enough to destroy a universe, an Ancient made device was said to be able to destroy a planet once tainted and plugged into a control chair, but that is far from destroying a universe.

Comment

Originally posted by Zombies Rise from the Sea View Post

By the grace of God man, my entire post vanished into the ether; what a tragedy. All those beautiful words, All those beautiful words! Meh, I'll start over then.

As I was saying before fate dealt me a horrible blow, even though unfortunately brother, I am not going to write that page full of words again, so sad though, it had such promise.

ZPM energy could be NOS in a car, and Naquadria is diesel, and perhaps that's why the ancients didn't use ZPM or warned everyone not to do so.

The writers though encouraged within us a hidden thought that serves the purpose of evolving our gaze and to see the universe in it's entirety rather than what we know of that is localized.

perhaps the ZPMs energy is Zaon; energy that attracts anti particles exotic particles anti time and space particles that could feedback to the wormhole, and knock it out of our space time, or destroy destiny or earth.

Naquadria is Naon energy composed of safer stuff that like diesel is slower, but safer and won't attract anything.

Comment

i think you might mean that backwards, 'cause naquadria is the unstable one, and the ancients used zpms a fair amount

Comment

Originally posted by Todd the prior View Post
                              i think you might mean that backwards, 'cause naquadria is the unstable one, and the ancients used zpms a fair amount
                              There must be a reason why they're not using ZPM's to dial gates over such a great distance that fits within the model established by the writers.

Therefore to fit within the mold crafted by the writers, we could say that yes Naquadria is unstable, but, something even more dangerous is going on when you use Zaon energy (energy type that a ZPM emits) to power a stargate over such a great distance. Maybe the Zaon energy attracts bad particles that could send the wormhole to another universe or could end up causing a feed back that could destroy an area of the galaxy or radiate it with anti particles that could do all sorts of nasty things.

Naquadria is bad for you if you're on the planet, but at least, the Naon energy it emits doesn't attract anything, and would just vaporize the planet and whomever is close to it.

That's my take anyways of why such a thing had to have happened the way they said it had to have.

Comment

Working...
                              X