• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome to Westfield (412)

Visit the Episode GuideFRINGE SEASON FOUR
    WELCOME TO WESTFIELD
    EPISODE NUMBER - 412

Peter, Walter, and Olivia find themselves trapped in a small Vermont town where residents appear to be afflicted by severe schizophrenia with supernatural origins. Meanwhile, Olivia herself experiences memories of her alternate history with Peter.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >
    Last edited by GateWorld; 28 April 2015, 11:41 AM.

The hand had more fingers!

Comment

This was an interesting episode with alot of interesting concepts; the idea of two cities in different realities merging was done well and Peter seemed to be at the top of his game here, plus it did have that classic sci-fi feeling solely missed from today's sci-fi TV.

Overall, this was good; can't wait until next Friday.
      Back from the grave.

Comment

As usual, enjoyed it very much. This is one of many examples of the show's episodes which are one-off on the surface, but also contribute to the series arc in a fantastic way.

I loved the dreary, isolated feel of the town and all the strange stuff happening there. I love what it means for the series story.

And I'm especially fascinated by how Olivia seems to be becoming her Blue Universe self. Looking forward to how that becomes more and more resolved. Will we see more of the same from Walter, since he was also sensing Peter before his return? Have we been seeing it already, all along?
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

freaky episode ha

it seems to me that the two towns merging could propose a few things

firstly, maybe the two towns merging were from alternate timelines, not alternate universes

since I was thinking about how Olivia has sort of merged in a sense with her old self and Walter is more like he used to be like Digi said, he might not even realise it due to his mental condition; seems to be a bleed through effect probably because of Peter

although thinking about Mr Jones and the strange fellow that he is, not sure why he would want to merge universes or timelines, unless maybe he wants to repair all the damage done from crossing over etc

Comment

Originally posted by LanDodger View Post
            Spoiler:
            since I was thinking about how Olivia has sort of merged in a sense with her old self and Walter is more like he used to be like Digi said, he might not even realise it due to his mental condition; seems to be a bleed through effect probably because of Peter
            Well...

Spoiler:

I'm guessing that what we saw in the universe was not another person merging with Olivia but her old self; took some time for it to come into effect but once it did it revealed the Olivia we come to know and love. Of course, this is just a theory. Peter has done some odd things but I don't know if he's able to make somebody remember their entire lives from another universe. Other things would have to be the aftermath of the storm or Olivia's cortexiphan kicking in; those are the only other theories I can think of for why Olivia would start remembering her life in the other timeline.
            Back from the grave.

Comment

I've been wondering since last night if maybe Peter's mere presence is slowly restoring reality to its proper timeline (or at least something close to it).

He spends most of his time with Walter, who is more or less returned to his old self before the timeline changed. Now Olivia dramatically back to how she was, and even the Machine being able to recognize him again--a man who shouldn't even exist in this timeline. As though...his presence is bleeding the original timeline back out into the new one, starting with the things closest to him.

Maybe this is why the other Observers wanted to make sure he was properly erased; because it was necessary to convert the Blue/Red universe into the Orange timeline in order to cause or prevent something in the future. But with September having defied them, the plan is coming undone.

Or this is all just wildly speculative, either way.
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

This was another really good episode. I can't wait to see how things pick up after that kiss.
                sigpic
                MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                "...phu...ah..."
                "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Intersting observation that my fiance brought up while watching this episode...

"What if Nina's injections are meant to keep Olivia from 'relapsing' (for lack of a better word until we know what is happening) back into the original Olivia'. What if Nina thinks she's doing the right thing by keeping up the secret injections to prevent Olivia from becoming schitzophrenic because Olivia didn't 'reset' like everyone else in the timeline and actually remembers the original timeline (for some reason as yet unexplained... most likely Peter when he got in the machine preserved her as well), but Nina (and everyone else's) version of events does not line up with Olivia's memories, hence she is deemed schitzophrenic and Nina gives her injections to suppress these 'tendancies'.

Separately:
                  The other thought that I had is that the "orange verse" is our "blue universe" but the timeline has been changed and that there is no going back. Who says that this "orange verse" is an alternate universe, but not our own (blue universe) that has been altered. If that is the case then there is no going back and Peter has been planted in the timeline and the universe is adapting to him. The original timeline that he remembers only exists in his head and no where else, because by using the machine, he was able to make himself 'outside' of the changes to the universe for a bit and then return.
                  Isnt this simple 'time travel' canon where the time traveller is the only one who can remember the original timeline before he/she goes back and changes things?

Comment

Originally posted by Aussie_86 View Post
                    Spoiler:

The other thought that I had is that the "orange verse" is our "blue universe" but the timeline has been changed and that there is no going back. Who says that this "orange verse" is an alternate universe, but not our own (blue universe) that has been altered. If that is the case then there is no going back and Peter has been planted in the timeline and the universe is adapting to him. The original timeline that he remembers only exists in his head and no where else, because by using the machine, he was able to make himself 'outside' of the changes to the universe for a bit and then return.
                    Isnt this simple 'time travel' canon where the time traveller is the only one who can remember the original timeline before he/she goes back and changes things?
                    That's what I thought but things aren't as simple as they seem.

Spoiler:
                    When the universe did change, their memories seemed to change, their circumstances seemed to change and even their entire personality did change. To suggest that the universe is changing around him is ludicrous because that would mean that all of those people would need to wait for their supposed Memories to return, Memories from a timeline which does not exist. (Reaffirming this is Walter, if the timeline is different then his brain parts have not been removed from his brain; meaning that he's just really really crazy for different reasons.) This relates to the Nina thing because if the timeline has changed permanently then why would she need injections for memory; I'd think that those injections are to suppress the cortexiphan inside of her system for reasons only known to Nina Sharp, I don't know if it was because she was too dangerous or something else but if it was for memory then why?

Keep in mind that the last scene of Season 3 had Olivia forget about Peter before her very eyes, I doubt that she was injected in the changed timeline and I doubt that Nina would work that fast to surpress it, if she did then that would prove that she herself is not affected by the timeline change and that she has some sort of power, something that is still debatable. I still think there is some way to get back to the original timeline since there are more then one worlds, the one he is inhibiting is just one of those worlds with an altered timeline. I'm guessing since the machine works towards him, he can use the machine to get back to his old timeline and the people who know him. If the machine has the ability to create bridges just imagine what Peter could do with it. Just imagine.
                    Back from the grave.

Comment

Spoiler:
                      Is the Time Line's merging really the bad guys doing ? Or could this be the Universe's way of correcting itself due to the Observers messing things up ?

Comment

Originally posted by JackO'Neill View Post
                        Spoiler:
                        Is the Time Line's merging really the bad guys doing ? Or could this be the Universe's way of correcting itself due to the Observers messing things up ?
                        Spoiler:
                        Well... Since there is a consistent electromagnetic field and there are some things that aren't natural (or natural for the impending destruction of the universe.); I doubt that it's the universe doing it, though it could be possible.
                        Back from the grave.

Comment

Excellent episode...Its nice to see Walter getting and and being more like the old Walter. Now, the Olivia thing at the end...whoa! I wonder what's going on there? I like the theories that some of you have thrown out about Peter slowly restoring the Blue universe...
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Zombies Rise from the Sea View Post
                            Spoiler:
                            Well... Since there is a consistent electromagnetic field and there are some things that aren't natural (or natural for the impending destruction of the universe.); I doubt that it's the universe doing it, though it could be possible.
                            At the start of the episode though. Olivia started to remember the other Olivia's time with Peter. This can not entirely be the bad guys doing

Comment

was she remembering or simply dreaming? (I'm sure fantasising sleeping with someone you fancy isn't a male domain exclusive )

I think Peter is have a bleed in effect, in that he's not changing the timeline, history or restoring memories or anything, but rather he's slowly having the same effect on this timeline's inhabitants, as he did on the blue universe inhabitants, maybe Olivia and Walter ddo have residual memories, being the closest to him in the blue universe.

I'm pretty sure I read that they didn't want to use a third universe, too easy cop-out or something.

Comment

Working...
                              X