Is it just me getting older?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it just me getting older?

When I first watched sg1 I never saw what the big deal was with Carter, ok so she wasn't ugly but I didn't get it, hell even when I re-watched a few years back I still didn't see it.
    However now I kinda do get it, maybe its me being a bit older or maybe its knowing that I won't get to see much more of her...
    Weird..

Maybe it is age, maybe it's the way we percieve things I don't know. I first thought Carter looked like Ellen DeGeneres and I had the same problem as you when I first watched but as time went on that perception of her went away as she blossomed into her own character.

She does have a little bit of Ellen in her though.
    Back from the grave.

Comment

I didn't mean the character, I meant as a woman lol,but yeah perception has changed with age..

Comment

Originally posted by Trig View Post
        I didn't mean the character, I meant as a woman lol,but yeah perception has changed with age..
        Oh, in that case you wern't going to get much action anyway. If you wanted Stargate "action", I would travel back in time a couple of days before the pilot of SG-1 aired, subscribe to Showtime, wait until the pilot aired and bam, "action!" (Don't know if they kept that scene in the DVD releases, the creators hated it so much that they had it cut; I think...)
        Back from the grave.

Comment

Well I loved how she wore her hair long in Season 4, and in the seventh season of Stargate Atlantis, but yeah you can definently tell that age has caught up to her by Universe.
          1 “Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me. 2 In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also. 4 And where I go you know, and the way you know.”
          5 Thomas said to Him, “Lord, we do not know where You are going, and how can we know the way?”
          6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.

John 14:1-6

Comment

When I first watched sg1 I never saw what the big deal was with Carter, ok so she wasn't ugly but I didn't get it, hell even when I re-watched a few years back I still didn't see it.
            However now I kinda do get it, maybe its me being a bit older or maybe its knowing that I won't get to see much more of her...
            Weird..
            Okay, are you saying you can't see that Amanada Tapping is a beautiful woman???
            sigpic

http://www.moonsmusings.com/bluemoon/
            http://www.gatefic.com/

My Fiction:

Comment

She also isn't old. People don't remain in their early thirties forever...

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
              Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
              sigpic
              now also appearing on DeviantArt
              Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by LC_ View Post
                Okay, are you saying you can't see that Amanada Tapping is a beautiful woman???
                She wasnt my type, I can see what people see in her but not the character Sam, I prefered Amanda as the woman in Sanctuary (not seen it so dont know her name)...

However this rewatch (3rd rewatch since original airing iirc) I'm seeing a lot more of what I like in her, more so the scenes where shes in civi's and not in uniform..

Was just a thread to see if other people that didnt like characters previously had changed the way they saw that character given the amount of time that has passed etc since the first, second or third time round..

As for AT being a beautiful woman, she certainly looks good, as I dont know her personally I cant comment further than that.

Comment

She wasnt my type, I can see what people see in her but not the character Sam, I prefered Amanda as the woman in Sanctuary (not seen it so dont know her name)...

However this rewatch (3rd rewatch since original airing iirc) I'm seeing a lot more of what I like in her, more so the scenes where shes in civi's and not in uniform..

Was just a thread to see if other people that didnt like characters previously had changed the way they saw that character given the amount of time that has passed etc since the first, second or third time round...

As for AT being a beautiful woman, she certainly looks good, as I dont know her personally I cant comment further than that.
                  So if you prefer the Helen character from Sanctuary but have never seen it then does that mean that you actually prefer brunettes over blonds?...which, you know, is fair enough...I prefer brunettes too...especially men...can't really think of any blond men that I've been attracted to.
                  But I'm not sure what it is about Sam in civvies that would be more appealing than in uniform...preconception about women in uniform being tough and unfeminine?

And for the record, yes I have to say that I wasn't initially taken with Daniel. I came to the show initially for RDA because I'd been a huge MacGyver fan, but it took me until Enterprise no longer held any promise to start watching SG because I really didn't find anything appealing about Kurt Russell's "Jack". I *think* I started watching someplace in S7 or S8, and while RDA was as handsome as ever I initially didn't see the appeal in Daniel. I find classically handsome men the most appealing and to me MS just didn't fit my definition...and still doesn't actually. It took seeing all the episodes from the very start and getting involved in Daniel's backstory for me to find Daniel appealing. Now he's my preferred character...I'd love to have conversations with him. I've come to find the "Jack" character less and less appealing or rather I've become more and more unhappy with the way RDA was playing him except for the few instances we saw Jack in Atlantis and Universe. The "Jack" in S10 and Continuum should have been in a nursing home.
                  sigpic

My Fiction:

Comment

I would not call here HOT at any age, but she is pleasing to the eye and seems joyfull in nature. People into SCIFI tend to think women are hotter then they realy are because of the lack of selection.

Its like the women you work with that looks ok, but turns you on after working with them for a while because of other factors so their hotness score rises.

Comment

...I find talk of characters who were only in their fifties belonging in nursing homes disturbing...

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                      Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
                      sigpic
                      now also appearing on DeviantArt
                      Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

She wasnt my type, I can see what people see in her but not the character Sam, I prefered Amanda as the woman in Sanctuary (not seen it so dont know her name)....
                        So you are apparently talking about the "type" of woman you would be attracted to? Can't you just acknowledge she's a beautiful woman regardless of whether you're attracted to her? And fyi she's Helen Magnus in "Sanctuary".

Originally posted by LC_
                        The "Jack" in S10 and Continuum should have been in a nursing home.
                        Excuse me! Jack is approx. 60 in "Continuum"; RDA is 62 (as of the other day). Are you seriously saying somebody his age should be in a nursing home? Have you looked around at the older than 62 aged people these days who are sooooo not ready for a nursing home? If not, then you're looking in the wrong place.

Just out of curiosity...how old are you?

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                          Excuse me! Jack is approx. 60 in "Continuum"; RDA is 62 (as of the other day). Are you seriously saying somebody his age should be in a nursing home? Have you looked around at the older than 62 aged people these days who are sooooo not ready for a nursing home? If not, then you're looking in the wrong place.

Just out of curiosity...how old are you?
                          How old am I?...why?...oh wait, I get it, you're figuring that I'm a 20something who sees anyone over 40 as being ready to die...well sorry to blow that theory...I'm early 50s...my siblings are the same age as RDA/Jack...so no, I'm not generalizing that anyone in that age range should be in a nursing home...and I'm DEFINITELY NOT implying that RDA belongs in one...or that Jack truly belongs in one...just that there were times(and I'd only be able to give concrete examples if I went back to the transcripts) when the way RDA was playing Jack made him sound like he wasn't completely dwelling in his reality...and yes I know it's because of RDA's penchant for ad-libbing, but having Jack make comments that didn't fit into his reality made him sound like he was on the edge of dementia...and that actually really annoyed me because overall I really respected the Jack we had in early SG1, Atlantis and Universe.
                          sigpic

My Fiction:

Comment

People make weird comments under stress and from lack of sleep, things you find when people are under fire, confined in a cell, tortured, and worried about fellow soldiers and love interests.

You might also be confusing RDA's phoning his lines in because he is tired of playing the same character and wants out as being the character Jacks state of mind in the show.

Comment

Has anyone seen some of the sigs that some users here have made featuring AT? She looks pretty damn good in some of those.

Comment

Working...
                              X