Comparing the Aschen and the Vulcans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comparing the Aschen and the Vulcans

I'm wondering if anyone's thought about the fact that Stargate SG-1's Aschen and Star Trek's Vulcans both act so rationally to the point that they seem to be generally acting 'unemotionally' all the time. Of course, the Aschen consider themselves amoral while the Vulcans act at least somewhat 'ethically' and consider themselves to be ethical.
    If you're interested in reading my longest fanfic story, which is an action/adventure story involving the elusive Furlings (as well as if you want to read the others), please click the link below.
    [URL="http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6888222/1/Tauri_Furling_First_Contact_and_Alliance[/URL]

RIP Sep 2010 to beloved gateworld.net member and forum contributor Weedle, very skilled soldier with military special operations, a wonderful human being, and a friend to so many on gateworld. May we keep his memory close.

They are very similar in my eyes as well. If you recall, the Vulcans interfered a number of times to prevent the development of Warp drive on Earth. That makes Vulcan ethics somewhat questionable in my eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexanderD View Post
      They are very similar in my eyes as well. If you recall, the Vulcans interfered a number of times to prevent the development of Warp drive on Earth. That makes Vulcan ethics somewhat questionable in my eyes.
      Mmm, assuming we're going by a lot of what we saw on Enterprise, I'd say that the Vulcans weren't so much holding the fledgling Starfleet back as they were not helping at all. The Aschen on the other hand seemed to hand over advanced technology (or at least promise it) pretty readily. All to the ultimate destruction of the targeted civilization, of course.

The Vulcans were just wary that Earth would fall into the same trap as their planet had, pre-Surak of course. It was to Earth's benefit... and annoyance, unfortunately.

Eugh. I still shudder when I think back to 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by CMWriter View Post
        Mmm, assuming we're going by a lot of what we saw on Enterprise, I'd say that the Vulcans weren't so much holding the fledgling Starfleet back as they were not helping at all. The Aschen on the other hand seemed to hand over advanced technology (or at least promise it) pretty readily. All to the ultimate destruction of the targeted civilization, of course.

The Vulcans were just wary that Earth would fall into the same trap as their planet had, pre-Surak of course. It was to Earth's benefit... and annoyance, unfortunately.

Eugh. I still shudder when I think back to 2010.

Very good points.

Comment

There's no comparison. The Aschen wanted to take over Earth and essentially enslave the small population that would have remained after their sterility program wiped out the ability of most people to procreate. When did the Vulcans ever embrace something like that?

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
          Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
          sigpic
          now also appearing on DeviantArt
          Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

No comparison at all. The only vague similarity is that we never saw the Aschen show their emotions much, but that doesn't necessarily signify much.
            sigpic

Comment

I think it's the ears that make all the difference....

Deeds xx
              sigpic
              Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
              MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

i don't really the connection. sure neither really show emotions, but neither do the tollen's.

if any race would be compared i'd compare the jaffa to klingons.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by blueray View Post
                  i don't really the connection. sure neither really show emotions, but neither do the tollen's.

if any race would be compared i'd compare the jaffa to klingons.
                  Not to get terribly off-topic, but I thought of that many times.
                  When I first showed my parents SG-1 the first thing my dad said about Teal'c is that he reminded him of Worf. But in a way they're kind of like the Jem'Hadar in that they were literally bred as slaves to serve their false gods and are both dependent on something the other race gives them... Ketracel White for the Jem'Hadar; the symbiotes (or Tretonin, in a sense) for the Jaffa.

/ramble, ramble

Comment

Working...
                  X