Double Worlds in Same Universe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Double Worlds in Same Universe?

One story line that would have been extremely interesting is the existence of a double Earth within the same or another galaxy and universe as ours, i.e. SG1 goes to a planet that may be a carbon copy or similar to our own and find themselves in a double SGC with all the implications involved. I guess it would be inspired by a mirror universe based on the Mirror device and even Ripple Effect, but in this case the second planet (called Earth or Terra or something similar) is not a parallel universe at all but simply a replica that developed in our own reality.

A duplicate Earth without a parallel universe? Not gonna happen. However, a planet who's development compares to Earth complete with their own version of the SGC? That, I can see happening.

Comment

i think it would have been interesting if they had a character from a different reality. like when carson was brought back, instead of having him be a clone have him be a carson from a different reality where he was never rescued. then they could have him still have some knowledge on michael's labs.

as for another earth, i don't see that happening.
      sigpic

Comment

The odds of the double idea happening are astronomical. While its true that if you let a monkey bang away at a typewriter for thousands of years eventually a copy of Macbeth will be the result, the odds are vastly compounded by a number of factors. First, you're overlooking the fact that the Milky Way was under the control and observation of the System Lords. Yes, I know one can argue that Earth succeeded in such a climate, but our planet was abandoned by the Goa'uld long ago. Hoping for mirroring ideals, technological levels, and political climate is a stretch in the extreme.

Comment

Are you on some kind of secret mission to see how many posts you can bang out in a week or something? Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
            A duplicate Earth without a parallel universe? Not gonna happen.
            It is actually an idea in theoretical physics that our entire observable universe, us included, is infinitely duplicated elsewhere in the universe as an inevitable consequence of our standard cosmological and quantum models.

Within the Milky Way, or anywhere reachable even with Stargateverse technology, though - no chance.

Comment

Yes, Oma Desala asked me to clarify many different things in the world of the non-ascended. But the secret is out. Please make sure Anubis and the Ori don't find out from Kalek.

Originally posted by Dazzle foot View Post
              Are you on some kind of secret mission to see how many posts you can bang out in a week or something? Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Naonak View Post
                It is actually an idea in theoretical physics that our entire observable universe, us included, is infinitely duplicated elsewhere in the universe as an inevitable consequence of our standard cosmological and quantum models.

Within the Milky Way, or anywhere reachable even with Stargateverse technology, though - no chance.
                I would love to see an article detailing that. No, I'm not being facetious. I really would. Got a link?

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
                sigpic
                now also appearing on DeviantArt
                Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
                  I would love to see an article detailing that. No, I'm not being facetious. I really would. Got a link?
                  There's this from Scientific American. It's the Level I multiverse section.

Essentially, if you think of the observable universe as a finite "bubble", then within an infinite universe there's an infinite number of these bubbles. There's only a finite (astronomically huge, but finite) number of ways the matter within these bubbles could have been initially arranged, so eventually they'd start to repeat and you get identical bubbles.

Comment

Essentially, if you think of the observable universe as a finite "bubble", then within an infinite universe there's an infinite number of these bubbles. There's only a finite (astronomically huge, but finite) number of ways the matter within these bubbles could have been initially arranged, so eventually they'd start to repeat and you get identical bubbles.
                    The way the OP sounded I thought he meant a planet just like Earth, or a developed Earth in our same reality. I have no definite clue what any of the above meant but it sounds like crossing into another universe where things happened exactly the same as they did here with no differences, but it sounds like the OP means the same copy of one planet (Earth) in our universe

Comment

I'll have to read it when I get a bit more time, but it seems to me that the issue here is in the definition of "universe". I'm under the impression that the universe is actually finite, although the multiverse that contains it may well be infinite. Without having read the article yet, it seems to me that this isn't talking about multiple copies within a single universe, but rather, simply another way of talking about multiple universes within that multiverse, no? In that case, sure, you could have copies of the same world, people, etc. in more than one universe, but that isn't the same as having them in the same universe.

Also, the limit to the number of ways matter might have been arranged in the beginning of individual universes makes sense, but doesn't take into account the number of ways it might then move around after the beginning, and even if it arrives in a configuration identical to that in another universe eventually, if it arrived there by a different path in Universe A than in Universe B, the Joe Schmoe living in A will have a different set of experiences and memories than the Joe Schmoe in B has, making them at least somewhat different people... assuming they both exist at all.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                      Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic
                      Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

I'll have to read it when I get a bit more time, but it seems to me that the issue here is in the definition of "universe". I'm under the impression that the universe is actually finite, although the multiverse that contains it may well be infinite. Without having read the article yet, it seems to me that this isn't talking about multiple copies within a single universe, but rather, simply another way of talking about multiple universes within that multiverse, no? In that case, sure, you could have copies of the same world, people, etc. in more than one universe, but that isn't the same as having them in the same universe.
                        No, the idea is that they're in this universe, just really far away. 10^1028 metres I think it is.

Comment

I understand that's the idea; I was just that I don't see why there should be copies of the same world, people, etc. in a single universe.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                          Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

I understand that's the idea; I was just that I don't see why there should be copies of the same world, people, etc. in a single universe.
                            I agree. The odds of two planets evolving in the same exact way with the same exact people and same exact personalities in the same single universe just seems astronomical, if at all. Even if two planets did evolve in the same way in this manner, the chances are too slim that the other SG team would have people with the same names as the people in ours, or that they would even call the Stargate the Stargate or refer to themselves as an SG team.

Comment

i thought the theory was their is infinite numbers of us in alternate realities not in the same universe?

Comment

Working...
                              X