ring transporters in pegasus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ring transporters in pegasus

the ancients created the rings right so why are there none in Pegasus the as me and a mate call it the 'ancients trash can' they left 25,000 tonne of ancient tech behind so why no rings?
    sigpic
    Ohhhhhhhh WHAM BAM THANK YOU MA'AM

Ring transporters provide 2 major functions. 1- transport people above/below ground and 2- as evidenced by go'a'uld ships (since they had copied/stolen them) transport people to and from surface of a planet from ships. Architecture changed so that city ships like Atlantis and other copies were all self-contained and had the elevator-like matter transporter to move within the city. Puddle jumper ships easily replaced the rings need to/from orbit. It's the same as asking why there are no puddle jumpers in milky way. It's a new show so it must be differentiated stylistically is the real answer but in-show lets just say the rings malfunctioned and melted an ancient so they went with more reliable puddle jumper transportation. But no ancient ships used rings I believe only the go'a'uld and since there were none of them in Pegasus there is your answer. Ancients left milky way and decided they preferred puddle jumpers.

Comment

There could very well be Ring Transporters in the Pegasus Galaxy, however the biggest majority of them in the Milky Way are there because of the Goa'uld. While the Ancients would have used them, it was really the Goa'uld scavenging technology and using them as a primary means of transport that causes them to be so common.

The Wraith didn't need to use them, so they aren't commonly available on other worlds.

sigpic

Comment

Rings could be old tech. In the time between the Ancient's occupation of the Milky Way and later colonization of Pegasus, surely new tech was developed to replace the rings. Evidence of a ring like device was one of the systems that allowed for the Sodan to remain hidden.

Comment

Originally posted by terminator View Post
          Ring transporters provide 2 major functions. 1- transport people above/below ground and 2- as evidenced by go'a'uld ships (since they had copied/stolen them) transport people to and from surface of a planet from ships. Architecture changed so that city ships like Atlantis and other copies were all self-contained and had the elevator-like matter transporter to move within the city. Puddle jumper ships easily replaced the rings need to/from orbit. It's the same as asking why there are no puddle jumpers in milky way. It's a new show so it must be differentiated stylistically is the real answer but in-show lets just say the rings malfunctioned and melted an ancient so they went with more reliable puddle jumper transportation. But no ancient ships used rings I believe only the go'a'uld and since there were none of them in Pegasus there is your answer. Ancients left milky way and decided they preferred puddle jumpers.
          there is one PJ in the milky way SG-1 found in season8 the time travel one
          sigpic

Comment

It was brought from Pegasus.

Comment

Originally posted by terminator View Post
              It was brought from Pegasus.
              That's an assumption. If you recall the SGA episode Before I Sleep, you'll remember Janus taking his research with him as he evacuated Atlantis. I find it more likely that he rebuilt the device upon return to the Milky Way.

Comment

Yes I realize that. Gateworld ep description even states that they are in milky way but that's an easy way out when it comes to somebody writing up a brief summary and occasionally those aren't completely accurate. Atlantis originated in milky way, this much is stated. But then the ancients spread out in Pegasus multiplying in numbers, likely expanding and furthering scientific knowledge. One of the primary uses for the puddle jumper seems to be for travel to space gates. Since there are none in milky way (that we have seen) then the evidence we have suggests that they were developed after Atlantis left for Pegasus. So sure it's possible that one was rebuilt absolutely. Also possible my reasoning is sound. We don't really have proof conclusively. The reason i just stated it as factual is because the statement I was responding to seemed mostly like a "so there!" type of response, just to tell me why my original argument was flawed, know what I mean? I don't think there is any 100% reliable source on that one. Honestly the fact that it was a time travel one makes it a very convenient plot device down the road in Mobeius so it probably just got really convenient to throw that in there as an afterthought. But it's not entirely impossible that it was flown through Antarctic gate from Pegasus and left on earth. And then again you may be correct. I just feel personally like only one of them rather than several indicates one brought from elsewhere but yes that's an opinion deduced from other facts.
                Last edited by terminator; 13 January 2012, 05:52 PM.

Comment

If you recall the opening of Rising, a puddle jumper is seen flying towards Atlantis before the city lifts off and departs Earth. That tells us that they we're developed previous to the arrival of Atlantis in the Pegasus galaxy.

Comment

No I didn't remember that. If that's the case then I'll concede the point.

There's a lot of ambiguity/inconsistencies in the writers timelines. I think it would have been far more believable to use 50,000 or 500,000 years ago rather than 50 million for the age of the Antarctic gate. It seems like the thing should have been buried a heck of a lot deeper than it was for that amount of time. Same goes for what you just said. Atlantis was here, apparently with puddle jumpers, yet not much evidence of them exists anywhere. No space gates, no shiny ancient tech in milky way (like tower in Pegasus or the aurora, etc). In the Milky way the only ancient evidence is rings and piles of rubble for the most part.
                    Last edited by terminator; 13 January 2012, 06:56 PM.

Comment

The depth of the burial would depend on whether it was buried on bedrock (in which case you're talking back to glaciation - c.34 million years) or within the ice itself ("any" age ago).

As for the original query: the matter transport elevators seem much more high tech than ring transporters to me, therefore don't seem needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Quizziard View Post
                        The depth of the burial would depend on whether it was buried on bedrock (in which case you're talking back to glaciation - c.34 million years) or within the ice itself ("any" age ago).

As for the original query: the matter transport elevators seem much more high tech than ring transporters to me, therefore don't seem needed.
                        right but the ancients wouldn't have put matter transport elevators on every planet with a stargate
                        sigpic

Comment

The transport booths like those on Atlantis are so far only to be found on city ships. Being that they serve an entirely different function than a gate, I fail to see what you're basing your assumption on.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexanderD View Post
                            The transport booths like those on Atlantis are so far only to be found on city ships. Being that they serve an entirely different function than a gate, I fail to see what you're basing your assumption on.
                            some ancient research lab kinnda like Nirritis in the milky way
                            sigpic

Comment

Your assumption is based on what supporting facts?

Comment

Working...
                              X