The Cylons should have been annahilated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Cylons should have been annahilated

Don't get me wrong, normally I'd be the very first person to jump up and tell you how outrageous it would be to exterminate an entire people for revenge. That's the unique horror of genocide, after all. Such a pervasive loss of life is exactly as great an atrocity no matter who it is inflicted upon.

But that's in the real world, with humans in real life. Cylons are fictional aliens that aren't like humans. I don't mean that like they don't matter because they aren't real or that they are machines and therefore inherently less valuable than human life. But Cylons function as organisms and as a society in ways that don't exist in real life.

There may be millions of individuals, but given what we seemed to be told about Cylon society, it seems to me it's fair to say there's still only 7 of them. Leoben said at one point that every Cylon ever has always voted with their model, implying that with very rare exceptions they all make the same decisions. Essentially, millions of Cylons are really all the same people. And all of them seemed to be on exactly the same page when it came to exterminated the 12 Colonies. Hence, every last one of them is guilty. So I feel like it's fair to say without hyperbole that they are a race of murderers.

I know villains are supposed to be the guys that you root against, but Battlestar Galactica seemed to be so successful at creating truly unlikable villains that I found it rather astonishing that the show seemed to have the gall to try to get us to sympathize with them by the end. I had no respect for them at all. The endless parade of unspeakable deeds they perpetrated was one thing, but what sealed it for me was the fact that they weren't fun to watch. They were just annoying. Now that worked brilliantly if they wanted me to hate them see them get comeuppance, but if not, then whatever they were trying failed spectacularly.

Lots of truly evil characters are a lot of fun to watch, especially from Sci-fi fantasy shows. In my case I often found I was kind of rooting for them in spite of myself. The Cylons were a rare example of a villain I just wanted to see die. They were just so preachy and pretentious, made all the more insufferable by the fact that they were essentially monsters lecturing humans on it's sins. And half the time so much of what they said sounded like nonsensical psychobabble anyway. It was made all the more ironic when the debacle on New Caprica seemed to reveal that they are also all idiots who have no idea what they are doing and have an almost comical inability to understand humanity. I'll admit that I haven't seen The Plan yet, but I seriously doubt it will make me understand what their ridiculous aimless agenda was.

The fact is that for almost all of the show, with the exception of Athena, there was not a single remotely sympathetic Cylon character at all. Boomer started off as one but she might as well have been a completely different character when she first showed up on New Caprica. If they intended to imply that there were actually more good "normal" Cylons out in their population, they failed. I saw no reason not to think that every last one of them was a genocidal murderous rapist. If they were humans, I would be able to safely assume that. But they aren't, and there's only 7 of them.

I mean for a while in the 3rd and 4th season Caprica Six was the best example they had of a "noble" Cylon. She is a child murderer, so I think it pretty much disqualifies me from seriously liking her for good.

When they Cylons started their civil war I felt like it was hilarious that the show seemed to expect me to care when really I had no reason. Normally I love villain/villain conflicts but if I hate both sides, I have no investment. I remember actually one of my favorite moments in the entire show was when that one Centurion ominously looked back at The Sixes who were questioning Cavil. I was actually hoping for the Centurions to rebel and kill them all.

In the final season when the Cylons were talking about putting Boomer on trial or really any time any Cylons talked about justice of any kind, I wasn't capable of taking them even the slightest bit seriously. It's like if Hitler, Stalin, Attila the Hun and Ghengis Khan presided over a UN human rights council. Much time was spent in the last several episodes about the fate of the Cylon race and how Ellen and the Sixes and Cavil were all fighting to save them from extinction but I was still waiting for a reason as to why to care. I mean why did they even need the Cylons? What was so significant about Hera to the humans? Apart from her connection to God or whatever it was, what did she signify to them that was so vital to saying them?

As far as I'm concerned, if Helo hadn't stopped the Fleet from eradicating them in Season 3, it would have been a happier ending than the one we got. I didn't mind him doing that at the time. In fact, I actually thought it was an honorable choice. But I still thought every individual member of the Cylon race was evil enough to deserved to die. Athena and the was the only one who wasn't and she was the only one who would have been spared. And the first 4 of the final 5 were on the fleet at the time so they would have survived as well. The only person who would have died who was innocent was Ellen. And A) They didn't know she was a Cylon. B) I was never quite sure why Saul killed her in the first place C) More inncoent people died because they didn't wipe out the Cylons. So really it's hard for me to see what wouldn't have been better if the fleet had followed through with their little exterminatus.

When D'Anna said, "they will never forgive us for what we did to the 12 Colonies" all I could think was "Of course not! What you did was unforgivable!" This isn't like holding all the German population responsible for the Holocaust. This is like if all the German race was actually 90 million immortal copies of Hitler. The other thing was that since Final Five are apparently a completely different race of Cylons, and they created all the others in the first place, why did they need any of them to survive? Why don't they start again with a new non war criminal race of creations.

I know a lot of the characters felt the same way and that was the cause of the rebellion in Season 4 but to me it's really still kind of a bigger deal than the show seemed to make it out to be. And that's despite the fact that they spent a fair amount of time on it anyway. I remember Lee angrily pointed out that the reason the rebellion was so strong was that at the end of the day Tom Zarrek was right. But apart from that and Adama and Roslin being sad that Galactica had become a mixed human/Cylon ship. The plot thread was didn't seem to go anywhere.

That seems all the more ironic considering one of the first things the show said was "Sooner or later, you can't hide from the things that you've done."

Fifty Billion people deserved justice and apparently the perpetrators got away with it in the end.

Spoiler:
    Yes, I know I spelled "Annihilated" wrong
    Last edited by Infinite-Possibilities; 13 May 2012, 08:01 PM.
    "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

i haven't read all of it. way too long.

there is one assumption you make: that they attacked the Colonies for the purpose of annihilating humankind, with the goal of domination.

the Cylons only attacked because they considered the Colonials a massive danger to every living thing. the mission-gone-wrong by Adama (with the Stealthstar) was a catalyst to that.

the Cylons are far more calculative and logical than the Colonials. for example they had no trouble admitting they were wrong for trying to use the Colonies for themselves, and made a peace deal in no time. they are capable of completely changing their strategy.

if anything, murdering every cylon would be justifying their very deed of attacking the colony.

Comment

So I guess you missed out on that whole "all this has happened before, and will happen again" thing.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

What has that got to do with what I said? I as talking about this generation of Cylons.
        "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

I think you failed to differentiate the organic cylons from the in-organic cylons.

An just because they all look the same they are clearly not and can choose to take there own paths in life, cylon society did not really allow for that, thanks to Cevil manipulations, that does not mean they could not have evolve there society into a society where each individual make up there own minds if given enough time.

As for the metal cylons they were even more mysterious than the organics but clearly controlled by the organics, but by the end of the series they clearly decided to leave humans in peace and that when they had free will, so wiping them all out would have been wrong.

The mythology and really the story behind all forms of cylons, the angels, and the colonies was a convoluted mess by the end of the show, with virtually nothing truly explained, it difficult to come to conclusions.

But I never felt sympathy for any of the characters Cylon or other wise, to be honest they should all have been wiped out by the blackhole and ended God game permanently.

Comment

I have to agree to a point...Despite late in the show alliance switches, they all started on the same side, with of course the exceptions of the ones who truly had no idea they were Cylons.

The human race (not including the ones discovered at the end) was reduced from a population of 50 billion down to ~50,000, which was later reduced to ~38,000. That initial loss corresponds to just 0.000001% of the human population surviving the initial attack. That is a genocide. Genocide without even a chance to respond. A war that is started by a nuclear attack rather than ended by one isn't a method of preservation for the Cylons, as far as I'm concerned.

This is all just my opinion, of course.
            sigpic

Comment

Humans are like cockroaches, from 38K we will flood the galaxy again in a few hundred years. We went from pretty much small groups of nomads to 8Billion in 10K years only 200 of which we had any real technology to speak of and the colonists are not cave dwellers.

If you look at our history countries like Germany and Japan that started wars of extermination were never completely wiped out by the victors. If either of those two countries had started out with nukes and the ability to send them where they wanted instead of millions billions of people would have died. Just because the people of a country support their country in a time of war doesn't mean they agree with what is being done.

Anything that can think on its own is not a machine. Doesn't matter if you are made of metal or flesh. I can see humans evolving into beings that can have new bodies somewhere down the road (either mechanical like a ceylon or organic like asguards doesn't matter).

As it is human kind will destroy itself way before some asteroid or alien society comes along to do it for us.

Comment

Originally posted by unknown_k View Post
                If you look at our history countries like Germany and Japan that started wars of extermination were never completely wiped out by the victors. If either of those two countries had started out with nukes and the ability to send them where they wanted instead of millions billions of people would have died. Just because the people of a country support their country in a time of war doesn't mean they agree with what is being done.
                Yeah, and those countries have populations greater than 7. All different models of Cylons seemed to agree with the act of genocide, in fact as I recall they seem to make decisions by all voting and all Cylons invariably voted with their models. So unlike human nations, all of them share responsibility. as I said, this isn't like Germany in World War 2. This is like if the 7 leading members of the Nazi party were the only Germans in existence and copies made up the entire populace.

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
                  Yeah, and those countries have populations greater than 7. All different models of Cylons seemed to agree with the act of genocide, in fact as I recall they seem to make decisions by all voting and all Cylons invariably voted with their models. So unlike human nations, all of them share responsibility. as I said, this isn't like Germany in World War 2. This is like if the 7 leading members of the Nazi party were the only Germans in existence and copies made up the entire populace.
                  This would hold any water if Hitler could LITERALLY reprogram their minds.
                  "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

What has that got to do with what I said? I as talking about this generation of Cylons.
                    Which is pretty much the most wrong-headed, narrow-minded, missing-the-point position you could possibly take.

I don't know how you could have missed that one of the most important plot tenets was CYCLICAL HISTORY. That this KEEPS HAPPENING if we keep doing the SAME THING again and again. By breaking the cycle, the pattern of genocide ends. That was the entire point of how the show ended.

Comment

I know that history repeated itself. But I never saw any actual causality between the actions of one generation to the other. The new generation of Cylons decided to wipe out humanity (twice) on their own. Previous generations of humans never did what I was suggesting.

Besides, the same thing happened again anyway. I fail to see how the Cylons merging with humanity somehow stopped the cycle when modern day humans have no knowledge of them.

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

I know that history repeated itself. But I never saw any actual causality between the actions of one generation to the other. The new generation of Cylons decided to wipe out humanity (twice) on their own. Previous generations of humans never did what I was suggesting.

Besides, the same thing happened again anyway. I fail to see how the Cylons merging with humanity somehow stopped the cycle when modern day humans have no knowledge of them.
                        This is what made the series ending so idiotic. Ultimately what enable the cycle to happen was not human nature, it was not directed by some super being. It was the simple fact humans and cylons kept on forgetting there past mistakes, kept on forgetting there history or having it wiped from there memories. No cross breeding or saviour is going to prevent that, unless the knowledge is preserve genetically somehow but considering we seem to be going down the same path as the colonies we can presume it is not.

But them turning there backs on technology or any plans to preserve the knowledge of the events that took place and there history, they doom themselves to keep repeating the same events until they learn to record there history better.

The only wild card this time is the fact that the metal cylons gained free and flew off into the galaxy and they hated organic machines and organic cylons, if anyone can stop the cycle from repeating it will be the descendents metal cylons. Making the colonists sacrifice useless and not learning the true lesson they needed to learn, which is to write and teach better history lessons.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                          This is what made the series ending so idiotic. Ultimately what enable the cycle to happen was not human nature, it was not directed by some super being. It was the simple fact humans and cylons kept on forgetting there past mistakes, kept on forgetting there history or having it wiped from there memories. No cross breeding or saviour is going to prevent that, unless the knowledge is preserve genetically somehow but considering we seem to be going down the same path as the colonies we can presume it is not.

But them turning there backs on technology or any plans to preserve the knowledge of the events that took place and there history, they doom themselves to keep repeating the same events until they learn to record there history better.

The only wild card this time is the fact that the metal cylons gained free and flew off into the galaxy and they hated organic machines and organic cylons, if anyone can stop the cycle from repeating it will be the descendents metal cylons. Making the colonists sacrifice useless and not learning the true lesson they needed to learn, which is to write and teach better history lessons.

The Metal Cylons evolved themselves and returned in two factions. One bent on the destrution of Humanity known as the Decepticons, the other bent on the preservation of Humanity, known as the Autobots......

Comment

There's the biggest secret of all. I guess the God that the Cylons worshiped was actually Primus.

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

I just got done watching The Plan and I went in wondering if it would change my mind about anything. And I don't think I can say it did. It introduced one more sympathetic Cylon, bringing the grand total up to 2, but that's pretty much all. Essentially the workings of the Cylons were what we already knew. I know Cylons can change, but they are still a culture based on unity. The way the 6 described the voting process implies to me the models are still (virtually) all the same. And after the genocide of the 12 Colonies is was too late as far as I was concerned. The movie still left me with the feeling they deserved nothing but eradication.

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Working...
                              X