This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carter and Cameron sg-1 leader

Why did Cameron get the command of SG-1 over Carter yes there both Lieutenant Colonel's but Cameron was inexperienced and was only a 302 pilot yet Carter was on SG-1 for 8 years before Cameron came along and led it for one so why didn't she get command for season 9&10 after her work on the Bc-304's?
    sigpic
    Ohhhhhhhh WHAM BAM THANK YOU MA'AM

Cause she was getting kept down by the man.

Not really...Cause that's the way tptb wanted it.

In universe, Carter, Daniel, and Teal'c left the team, and Cameron was promised anything he wanted (within reason, of course). When he got to SGC, there was no SG-1 physically besides him. As he brought everyone back into the fold, he became the de-facto leader.

At least that's how I see it. I could be wrong.
    sigpic

Comment

Mitchell said it best himself...he really didn't command anything because Carter was a Lt. Col. at the time...Daniel is a civilian and Teal'c wasn't even from this planet.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LT. COL. John Sheppard View Post
        Why did Cameron get the command of SG-1 over Carter yes there both Lieutenant Colonel's but Cameron was inexperienced and was only a 302 pilot yet Carter was on SG-1 for 8 years before Cameron came along and led it for one so why didn't she get command for season 9&10 after her work on the Bc-304's?
        Long story short, the producers thought Ben Browder would be a better lead than Amanda Tapping.

Comment

Because she left. When she came back, she joined Mitchell's team. They held the same rank, but she wasn't senior to him (that's a bit of a loophole - technically she had served longer 'in rank') and he'd already been assigned command.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LT. COL. John Sheppard View Post

This subject has several other threads and has been discussed to death already.

Cameron was the leader because that's what the producers wanted, and they didn't care whether it made sense.

Comment

...like many other things didn't make sense........ ;-)

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
              This subject has several other threads and has been discussed to death already.

Cameron was the leader because that's what the producers wanted, and they didn't care whether it made sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
                Long story short, the producers thought Ben Browder would be a better lead than Amanda Tapping.
                And they were wrong as the new SG-1 was canceled in 2 seasons, while AT went on to head a great new multi-season sci-fi series "Sanctuary"

Comment

The idea of adding Vala Mal Doran was obviously designed to be a measure against falling ratings. But I think you're right, the new SG1 couldn't make the grade. The first episode was so boring......

Originally posted by siles View Post
                  And they were wrong as the new SG-1 was canceled in 2 seasons, while AT went on to head a great new multi-season sci-fi series "Sanctuary"

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2 View Post
                    The idea of adding Vala Mal Doran was obviously designed to be a measure against falling ratings. But I think you're right, the new SG1 couldn't make the grade. The first episode was so boring......
                    Wrong. Ben Browder and Beau Bridges were intended to be a replacement for RDA. Claudia Black was temporary replacement for Amanda Tapping who was on maternity leave
                    Originally posted by aretood2
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

It could be as simple as Mitchell having more time in rank than Carter. This topic has been done to death though.

Comment

I think there are other contributing factors as well. One, Mitchell is supposed to be a direct replacement for O'neal so he gets the dry humor one-liners, etc. So he swaps out in both character and position. Also, we the viewers are being force-fed this character and told "you need to care about him" by this decision. I think TPTB are under the assumption that we will build a better relationship with this character if we are told "he is important you must respect him" rather than coming in and just being number 2 so-to-speak.

Comment

Where do you come up with the theory that viewers were force fed Mithchell's character, and told that we must respect said new character?

Comment

The scenes introducing Mitchell that are supposedly flashbacks to lost city (new scenes inserted here) place him in such a heroic manner, a bit contrived in my opinion, and he is given so many over-the-top O'neil-like corny lines in the first 3 eps of season 9 that as a loyal viewer over the previous 8 years it's tough to accept him as a replacement for Jack. Personally I eventually warmed up to the character but I think his introduction is just extremely in-your-face. Rather than introducing a new character naturally they literally re-wrote and/or invented a backstory for him. Again, just my opinion, but as a viewer the first thoughts in my head when watching season 9 is that if this character was so important he actually would have appeared in season 7. Yes, I get it, he didn't actually exist then on-screen but its simply a thought I can't pretend isn't there when meeting Mitchell for the first time.

Comment

Originally posted by siles View Post
                              I don't that that is purely Ben's fault...And it would be unfair to say it was. I found him to be a good addition, though I definitely missed O'Neill.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X