Overdoing it with Anubis??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overdoing it with Anubis??

Is it just me, or do others feel the writers were overdoing it with Anubis?
    I was getting pretty bored with the Anubis storyline.
    In fact I was getting a bit bored with the replicators story line. They and he are always destroyed, and then they just come back again.
    I didn't like much the story line with Replicarter and Fifth. I found it a bit boring. Maybe it's just me.

Anubis
    What about Apophis? We saw more of him than we did Anubis. After Apophis was defeated for the last time in "Enemies," there was no longer a central Goa'uld villain. Anubis was brought in as the next big, bad Goa'uld. Apophis was in twenty episodes, Anubis was only in about ten. Personally, he was my favorite Goa'uld villain. I love how he was revealed to be an ascended Goa'uld. By which episode did you feel Anubis had overstayed his welcome?

Replicators
    How could the Replicators be overused? They were barely featured in the show. We first saw them in the Season 3 finale (Nemesis) and Season 4 premiere (Small Victories). We wouldn't see them again until a year later in the fifth season premiere, "Enemies." Later that year, they returned for "Menace," an episode that dealt with both their origin and a means to defeat them. They made a seemingly final appearance in "Unnatural Selection" where they were finally defeated by the Asgard, granted temporarily. It wasn't until the eighth season that the Replicators became a central villain, appearing in five episodes. However, the whole point was to tie up the Goa'uld and the Replicators as villains in the same season. At the time, it was thought to be the final season.

You will see the Replicators just once more, but I won't say when. You'll like the surprise if you don't read spoilers.

Comment

I think it would have been stupid f or the writers to have a big threat like Anubis or the replicators hanging over earth and to not play out the story the replicators weren't an immediate threat to Earth that's why the story line of the replicators was spread out to when the Asgard asked for help but the Anubis story line had to be played all in one big block because he basically said he was coming for Earth.

I find you make too many threads. Maybe it's just me.
      sigpic

Comment

If I have to many threads I apologize. Hopefully it's made up for by my replies on episodes in Seasons 7 and 8 that remain the only latest postings on those episodes. ;-)

Originally posted by JosephGracey View Post
        I think it would have been stupid f or the writers to have a big threat like Anubis or the replicators hanging over earth and to not play out the story the replicators weren't an immediate threat to Earth that's why the story line of the replicators was spread out to when the Asgard asked for help but the Anubis story line had to be played all in one big block because he basically said he was coming for Earth.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2 View Post
          If I have to many threads I apologize. Hopefully it's made up for by my replies on episodes in Seasons 7 and 8 that remain the only latest postings on those episodes. ;-)
          Only because you're watching them if everybody started a thread for every little thing that bugged them as they were watching there would be lot's of silly threads imo.
          sigpic

Comment

You make good points. I don't know. I just got bored of his one-man show by Reckoning. I haven't been too interested in the storyline of the replicators as mechanical bugs with no humanoid interaction or a morale in the story running around all over the place. Personally I also liked Teal'c more when he behaved more as a "foreigner" than as an American with hair. On the other hand I did like to see him in a leadership role in Reckoning coming into his own rather than in the supporting position.
            As far as goa'ulds go, Baal seemed to have potential of being transformed into a good person. I found it rather interesting that O'Neill was able to relate to him despite him having killed O'Neill several times.
            I thought Yu also had potential. I was disappointed that Replicarter killed Yu. I sort of liked him and his first prime.

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
            Anubis
            What about Apophis? We saw more of him than we did Anubis. After Apophis was defeated for the last time in "Enemies," there was no longer a central Goa'uld villain. Anubis was brought in as the next big, bad Goa'uld. Apophis was in twenty episodes, Anubis was only in about ten. Personally, he was my favorite Goa'uld villain. I love how he was revealed to be an ascended Goa'uld. By which episode did you feel Anubis had overstayed his welcome?

Replicators
            How could the Replicators be overused? They were barely featured in the show. We first saw them in the Season 3 finale (Nemesis) and Season 4 premiere (Small Victories). We wouldn't see them again until a year later in the fifth season premiere, "Enemies." Later that year, they returned for "Menace," an episode that dealt with both their origin and a means to defeat them. They made a seemingly final appearance in "Unnatural Selection" where they were finally defeated by the Asgard, granted temporarily. It wasn't until the eighth season that the Replicators became a central villain, appearing in five episodes. However, the whole point was to tie up the Goa'uld and the Replicators as villains in the same season. At the time, it was thought to be the final season.

You will see the Replicators just once more, but I won't say when. You'll like the surprise if you don't read spoilers.

Comment

I thought Yu also had potential. I was disappointed that Replicarter killed Yu. I sort of liked him and his first prime.
              Yu came good in the end i thought even although he was pretty much on the way out.
              sigpic

Comment

You make good points. I don't know. I just got bored of his one-man show by Reckoning.
                Fair enough. Have you finished the eighth season? Are you going to watch Season 9? It's a bit of a restart to the show. Daniel, Carter, and Teal'c are still around; but there's a lot of new characters and totally new villains. The new villains make the Goa'uld look like petty muggers by comparison.

I haven't been too interested in the storyline of the replicators as mechanical bugs with no humanoid interaction or a morale in the story running around all over the place.
                We very rarely see aliens that are truly alien, they're usually portrayed by actors. Consequently, when we see something truly alien, it's a breath of fresh air. I loved the replicators, because they were mechanical bugs, no humanoid interaction (until "Unnatural Selection"), and no morality: they seek to replicate until there is nothing left for them to replicate themselves with. Scary, no? Each replicator episode, I'd tune in, wondering if they'd be defeated this time. Upon repeat viewings, the episodes still hold up, because the writers and directors did a very good job at making them seem so menacing, unrelenting, and in such vast numbers.

Personally I also liked Teal'c more when he behaved more as a "foreigner" than as an American with hair. On the other hand I did like to see him in a leadership role in Reckoning coming into his own rather than in the supporting position.
                Teal'c's shift from foreigner to American-like was simply character evolution. Over the coarse of the series, he blends in with the people of Earth. The same happened to Daniel Jackson. He evolved from a geeky archaeologist who could fight when called to do so into combat-ready archaeologist who's the foremost expert on the ancients. I really liked how each character had a chance to grow and change. Even Jonas Quin who only lasted one season had a lot of growth and change.

As far as goa'ulds go, Baal seemed to have potential of being transformed into a good person. I found it rather interesting that O'Neill was able to relate to him despite him having killed O'Neill several times.
                You'll be seeing more of Ba'al.

"Reckoning" was effectively the downfall of the Goa'uld, so it was inevitable that most of them would be offed by the end of Part 2.

Comment

lol, it's not just you mate!!!

Comment

I'm not a huge fan of the whole ascension-thing, but I did enjoy Anubis as the villain because he was so different from what we'd seen so far of the Goa'uld and because even the SL were afraid of him and started fighting him too.

I loved the replicators and since we didn't have episode summaries when the episodes were shown I had no idea when they'd be popping up until I heard that distinctive sound of replicators moving through the walls! It's enough to make me shudder, especially when you have the sound on quite loudly.

It also seems I'm in the minority when I say I actually liked the evolution of the replicators into human-form replicators. I don't necessarily seem them as replicators too or an extension of them, just more deliciously good bad guys who control the replicators and are quite difficult to get rid of. I enjoyed them being more ruthless when digging for information in someone's mind and the contrast between human and replicator personality. Also thought AT did a wonderful job portraying RepliCarter and I quite liked the two of them together, with RepliCarter basically telling Sam she's a goody two-shoes and if she wasn't so intent on playing by the rules she could be just like her. To me it was a great example of the thin line between young genius and mad (power hungry) scientist.
                    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Sometimes I think I would have liked to see cases of getting to know old goa'uld hosts after extraction, as we do for a few minutes when the symbiote of Apophis dies in the SGC. Something of how the major system lords got to be who they are. Maybe some interaction with the host after extraction or before being taken over, whatever.

Comment

Then SG-1 would have turned into an episode of Intervention.

Comment

Sometimes I think I would have liked to see cases of getting to know old goa'uld hosts after extraction, as we do for a few minutes when the symbiote of Apophis dies in the SGC. Something of how the major system lords got to be who they are. Maybe some interaction with the host after extraction or before being taken over, whatever.
                          Really? How many Goa'uld have been extracted from their host thanks to SG-1? And how many of them were System Lords? Besides, I'm sure the Tok'ra, who do the actual extracting, would have first dibs on the symbiote as well as the host.
                          Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                          Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                          On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

I do too...We should make a section just for Dave's questions...Lol.

Hate to see his questions if he ever watches BSG...
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post
                              I do too...We should make a section just for Dave's questions...Lol.

Hate to see his questions if he ever watches BSG...
                              *headdesk*

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                              Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
                              sigpic
                              now also appearing on DeviantArt
                              Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Working...
                              X