General O'Neill is hands-on at the SGC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General O'Neill is hands-on at the SGC

It was a great aspect of RDA's style or perhaps the writing of the stories that General O'Neill was always hands-on in the episodes where he appeared.
    It stands in stark contrast to General Hammond who was never hands-on or handled a weapon or showed humor. I like O'Neill's style much better.......

I don't really believe O'Neill was more hands on than Hammond, it's just we never really got to see everything Hammond had to do, like the boring briefings with others, picking out the menu (I'd partly expect O'Neill to like that) and the work that needs to be done behind the scenes to keep a base running.

When it was needed, Hammond was ready to go offworld for those under his command, was just as willing to grab and a gun and defend the base, who can really forget YEEE HAAA.

sigpic

Comment

Hammond showed humor often, though it was done in a subtle manner.
      Last edited by AlexanderD; 04 January 2012, 08:29 PM. Reason: Blank

Comment

If Don S. Davis had been the star of the show instead of RDA, we would have seen Hammond being far more "hands-on" than he was.

It makes lots of sense that O'Neill (as a General) would be more "hands-on", simply because RDA was the star of the show.

It's that simple.

And, actually, Hammond did handle weapons on a couple of occasions (even though they were AU's), and got to fly 2d seat in that glider thingy that was piloted by Teal'c in "Into the Fire".

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
          If Don S. Davis had been the star of the show instead of RDA, we would have seen Hammond being far more "hands-on" than he was.

It makes lots of sense that O'Neill (as a General) would be more "hands-on", simply because RDA was the star of the show.

It's that simple.

And, actually, Hammond did handle weapons on a couple of occasions (even though they were AU's), and got to fly 2d seat in that glider thingy that was piloted by Teal'c in "Into the Fire".
          Hammond Prime got to use guns (When Reese's Replicator's took over the base) and he commanded the Prometheus against Anubis, and his actions in Prometheus Unbound are not only the best scenes in the episode, but he's the only reason to watch that epeisode. That mouth to mouth scene was great.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2 View Post
            It was a great aspect of RDA's style or perhaps the writing of the stories that General O'Neill was always hands-on in the episodes where he appeared.
            It stands in stark contrast to General Hammond who was never hands-on or handled a weapon or showed humor. I like O'Neill's style much better.......
            1) You seem to have a bizarre thing for posts idolising characters...

2) If a General is hands on - something has gone wrong. Hammond and Landry were far more realistic.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

It's hard to make a proper comparison based on one season in command. But O'Neill was always going to appear more hands on simply because he was the star. Certainly during s8 there was more focus on the SGC than there'd been in the past, because that was where O'Neill was. I really *headdesked* during s8's Zero Hour - why didn't they have an ep like that for Hammond?

Hammond took up arms when necessary to defend the base - mostly it was in AU's, but the SGC was overtaken by replicators during s4? s5? and he and Carter teamed up. And as has been pointed out, he took command of the Prometheus during Anubis's attack, during which he gave the "at all costs" order (if we/you have to die to complete this mission, then so be it) and "if we go, they go" order.

While at times I would have liked to have seem more Hammond, I think they got the balance about right with him (sans part of s6 when Don was sick so obviously he couldn't be there). With O'Neill/RDA as base commander, it seemed like they altered the storylines to include him.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                Hammond Prime got to use guns (When Reese's Replicator's took over the base) and he commanded the Prometheus against Anubis, and his actions in Prometheus Unbound are not only the best scenes in the episode, but he's the only reason to watch that epeisode. That mouth to mouth scene was great.
                I knew there was at least once where Hammond Prime got to use guns; couldn't recall which one.

I laughed right out loud at that mouth-to-mouth bit in Prometheus Unbound. Reynolds was hilarious.

Plus, Generals don't generally (no pun intended) need to use weapons, except in cases of emergency, since that's what all their subordinates are supposed to do.

Comment

You're right........although RDA went for less on-screen work, he still had top billing, which DSD didn't have. I guess that makes all the diference in the world.

Originally posted by hedwig View Post

It's that simple.

Comment

Gosh, who says I idolize them?? I happen to give credit where credit is due for the artform of acting. What's the big deal?

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                    1) You seem to have a bizarre thing for posts idolising characters...

2) If a General is hands on - something has gone wrong. Hammond and Landry were far more realistic.

Comment

Working...
                    X