The Jedi Knight series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Jedi Knight series

I saw a thread was missing so I added it. So here ya can discuss the Jedi Knight series
    Dark Forces
    Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight
    Jedi Knight "II": Mysteries of the Sith
    Jedi Knight III: Jedi Outcast
    Jedi Knight IV: Jedi Academy

To those who don't know, the series mainly follows the life of Kyle Katarn, a mercenary-turned Jedi Master who has many encounters with the Dark Side. The last game follows his apprentice Jaden Korr, though. I have no favourite game and I've only played the demos of all games besides the first.
    "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

I...hey, you're right!

You've kind of got a screwy way of naming things there...MotS is an expansion for JK, not a numeral in itself. And Outcast was explicitly numbered II, while JA had none at all--presumably because the involvement of Katarn was very minimal.

Anyway, nitpicking aside. Fantastic stuff. Dark Forces was a great entry into the FPS genre for its time, Jedi Knight was a bold first attempt to bring Force use into the FPS arena. MotS was a fun and different sort of story. And Outcast, well hey, Outcast was just phenomenal.

Academy kind of sucked though IMO. The lack of Katarn as the player character was an immediate put-off for me, I didn't care for that at all. The initial story of some plebe having made his own lightsaber was....completely ludicrous, IMO. Jaden Korr was completely uninteresting and Rosh was a petulant little s**t who I couldn't wait to see die.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Ive only played Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast and thought it was a really good game.

Comment

If anyone is interested in trying these games, Steam is currently selling them as part of a discounted bundle (with other games).

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/85...11_packs_616_5

--

I've got Jedi Outcast and Academy, which I liked. I'm not so hard on Academy because I wasn't a big fan of the early FPS games so didn't really get to know Katarn that well.

sigpic

Comment

Well, actually with cheats, the player can easily get Katarn and his lightsaber and abilities. I know very well that MotS is an expansion, but it's a different story so what? My favourite was probably Outcast(demo of course) because it had the best enemies to fight with. The only thing that was missing was Academy's saber selection. And of course the existence of a Dark Side ending(I really like those). Dark Forces II was very good for it's time but since it is old, it was also limited. As was the expansion(orange lightsaber?). And Academy... well. If I had it, I'd probably like it, because it has the Dark Side ending, the saber and character and weapon selection and the fact I can spawn the enemies from Outcast. It's pretty clear why Katarn was minimal in the game, of course.
          "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

The Jedi Knight games are probably the best Star Wars game out there. There is alot of other good ones. But nothing beats being Kyle Katarn! He is the Chuck Norris of the Star Wars universe. Dark Forces and Jedi Outcast are my favorites. I've never played Dark Forces II or its expansion yet. I like Jedi Academy, but that seems to be a more multiplayer focused game(and its multiplayer is awesome) as the single player is kinda lackluster IMO.

Comment

^ They're absolutely right up there. I think JO and KOTOR are in a perpetual battle for best
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Didn't like KOTOR much, but Jedi Outcast is truly wonderful. Unlike Episode I game

Comment

Working...
                X