PDA

View Full Version : Need Scottish sayings for Fic

Major Tyler
January 30th, 2005, 05:02 PM
I'm writing an Atlantis fanfic that includes a few rather involved scenes with Ford and Beckett and I think I need a few more Scottish expressions for Beckett's dialogue.

Right now I have a lot of "bloodys" but that's about it. Would a Scotsman say "prat" or "git," or is that more of an English thing?

Skydiver
January 30th, 2005, 06:43 PM
would he say ******?

Major Tyler
January 30th, 2005, 06:53 PM
would he say ******?Not in my fic! LOL :P

Thessaly
January 31st, 2005, 02:02 AM
You could try the online scots dictionary here: http://www.scots-online.org/dictionary/engscots.htm

A different fandom, but you could try asking at http://www.fictionalley.org/fictionalleypark/forums/ in their brit-picking forum. The people there are friendly and usually very helpful. It's worth searching for older threads in that forum as well- there's lots of stuff on accents around.

sueKay
January 31st, 2005, 02:43 AM
I think Beckett would say 'you're an eejit!' or something...If I have more brainwaves I'll get back to you!

BruTak
February 10th, 2005, 06:53 AM
I think Beckett would say 'you're an eejit!' or something...If I have more brainwaves I'll get back to you!
I was having this very discussion with a couple of friends, just a day or two ago - spooky...

Anyway, some quaint Scottish words and phrases: Numpty - A stupid person of either gender. See also Nyaff, Heid the ba' (Trans: Head the ball), and Balloon.
Ned - Acronym: Non Educated Delinquent. A Scottish Chav.
"Awa an' bile yer heid!" (Trans: Go away and boil you head.) - A polite Scottish way to tell someone to go away.
The Bad Fires - A polite euphamism for Hell.

There are many many more, but most of them aren't fit for polite company, or indeed impressionable young ladies - SueKay, this means you...

Matt G
February 10th, 2005, 08:10 AM
Fitba = football/soccer

Nae goals nae fitba = No goals no football = crappy game of football/soccer ending in a 0-0 draw

Staved = knocked finger back. (Those from Southern Scotland might want to confirm that this isn't an Aberdeen only phrase) Context: "Aye, Rodney was messing around with that ancient device and the force it exerted staved his finger, nae it staved ALL his fingers

dipsofjazz
February 10th, 2005, 08:30 AM
Fitba = football/soccer

Nae goals nae fitba = No goals no football = crappy game of football/soccer ending in a 0-0 draw

Staved = knocked finger back. (Those from Southern Scotland might want to confirm that this isn't an Aberdeen only phrase) Context: "Aye, Rodney was messing around with that ancient device and the force it exerted staved his finger, nae it staved ALL his fingers
Well, I'm from Dundee and live in Edinburgh, and I use staved as well. :D

Albion
February 11th, 2005, 03:52 AM
Well this Scot uses git frequently and has educated several US friends into the habit too. :p

You could always have Beckett threaten to give whoever's bugging him a 'Glasgow kiss'. That's forehead butting to the rest of you. ;) Or another common one heard on the dance floors: "Pick a windae, yer leavin'."

Albion :)

Jeril
February 13th, 2005, 01:37 PM
If he ever has to talk about a kid, he can always use "bairn".

Dinoflo
February 25th, 2005, 02:10 PM
How about "keeping edgey"? Thats only used in Scotland, right?

prion
February 25th, 2005, 04:14 PM
I'm writing an Atlantis fanfic that includes a few rather involved scenes with Ford and Beckett and I think I need a few more Scottish expressions for Beckett's dialogue.

Right now I have a lot of "bloodys" but that's about it. Would a Scotsman say "prat" or "git," or is that more of an English thing?

Ah, just google it! :)

Go to www.google.com, pop in Scottish sayings, and poke around in your results

http://www.visitdunkeld.com/scottish-sayings.htm

http://www.worldofquotes.com/proverb/Scottish/1/

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/euroleader/wedderburn/glossary.htm

http://www.rampantscotland.com/parliamo/blparliamo_insults.htm (for insults)

But Google's the place to go - SCottish terms, scottish dictionary, etc.

Major Tyler
February 25th, 2005, 06:27 PM
How about "keeping edgey?"What does that mean?

Galluslass
February 26th, 2005, 06:45 AM
Och, we use 'Stave' all the time here in Central Scotland.

It might be hard to use these words folks are suggesting in context. Even we don't know why we say some of the things we do, but isn't that the case in any language? Often it's the arrangement of the words. I came across a fic - a well written one, but the Scots content was hysterical in that the phrases the writer was using didn't have any relation to the suject - which can then turn a dramatic scene into something from Red Dwarf.

'Keep the heid!' - Don't lose your temper
'Mind' - remember, as in 'We've no medicine, mind.' or 'Mind, we forgot to take the medicine'.
'Aye, that'll be right' or 'Aye, that'll be shining bright!' (said sarcastically) - no way is that going to happen!
And, my all time fave - 'Yer bum's oot the windae!' - you've no chance, forget it, you're out of luck, etc. :D

These might be regional, but we use them all the time.
'Broon breed' - dead
'Potted heid' - rhyming slang for - deid (dead).
'Taking a hearty' - having a heart attack (that might be chav culture there)
'Jimmy riddle' - rhyming slang for - going for a piddle :D
'Tom Dick' - rhyming slang for - feeling sick.
'Gie's me the boak!' - makes me wretch!

Hah! Funny when you see your own words translated into English - only here for the banter!! :p

Thek
February 26th, 2005, 08:46 AM
Here's a question, how do you write a Scottish accent?

Madeleine
February 26th, 2005, 10:16 AM
Ye dinnae. :p

sueKay
February 26th, 2005, 11:34 AM
I just stumbled accross this thread again, and I instantly thought of an advert that used to be on where I am a lot.

In the advert, there was a guy dressed up as a toilet, and a Ned (Chav to the English, Moron to everyone else) shouted.

Here lavie heed, your gettin' it!

So...you may want to use lavie heed!

I'd suggest going to http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/tv/chewinthefat/index.shtml

Warning - some things here may be construed as offensive!

...but if you're not Scottish...you might not understand it!

sueKay
February 26th, 2005, 11:39 AM

or 'sprog'

Rail'k
February 27th, 2005, 06:13 PM
If it ain't Scottish it's crap

BruTak
March 10th, 2005, 06:55 AM
What does that mean?
Means "To keep a lookout".

Another Scots word for a small child is "wean". Someone told me the other day that "Chav" is Romany for child - weird that...

sueKay
March 10th, 2005, 08:28 AM
Chav - isn't that the English word for Ned?

Ned - idiot...normally a violent, shell suit clad drug addict

astronomicalchick
March 10th, 2005, 08:48 AM
Here's a question, how do you write a Scottish accent?

DO NOT write a Scottish accent, it's bad writing! Just write English. Most of the Scottish speech is in the pacing of the words, ie folk like Beckett speak very fast...

Unless you're writing in the Scots language, and that's awfy difficult ye ken.

astronomicalchick
March 10th, 2005, 08:51 AM
I was having this very discussion with a couple of friends, just a day or two ago - spooky...

Anyway, some quaint Scottish words and phrases: Numpty - A stupid person of either gender. See also Nyaff, Heid the ba' (Trans: Head the ball), and Balloon.
Ned - Acronym: Non Educated Delinquent. A Scottish Chav.
"Awa an' bile yer heid!" (Trans: Go away and boil you head.) - A polite Scottish way to tell someone to go away.
The Bad Fires - A polite euphamism for Hell.

There are many many more, but most of them aren't fit for polite company, or indeed impressionable young ladies - SueKay, this means you...

Aye, ah think he'd say numpty maesel. Ken?

The Bad Fires? I've never heard that one. That must be local to Greenock and hasn't got as far as Renfrewshire. Or do you mean Renfrewshire? :p

And quite right, Suekay is too young for the rest! :D

astronomicalchick
March 10th, 2005, 08:52 AM

Ack no! I never hear bairn, it has to be "wean" if it's anything, but usually, it's just "kid" like the rest of the universe!

astronomicalchick
March 10th, 2005, 08:53 AM
Chav - isn't that the English word for Ned?

Ned - idiot...normally a violent, shell suit clad drug addict

don't forget the buckie... and the irn bru... ooops are we back to that again? :p

sueKay
March 10th, 2005, 10:19 AM
Believe it or not...I was on a camping trip and downed a bottle of Buckie!

...three years on...still washing the taste out of my mouth!

Don't worry though...

I'm no gang aff the glay!

dipsofjazz
March 10th, 2005, 10:55 AM
Ack no! I never hear bairn, it has to be "wean" if it's anything, but usually, it's just "kid" like the rest of the universe!
I think wean is a west coast word, as we use bairn all the time here...but never wean. :)

BruTak
March 15th, 2005, 05:42 AM
I'm just waiting for the day that Dr. Beckett completely loses his cool with a bad guy, forgets about the Hipocrattic Oath ("Do no harm"), and attacks them, bellowing the ancient warcry of the Scots as he does so - "You're claimed, pal!"

Indiana
March 15th, 2005, 06:16 AM
A piece of inaginative writing:

Beckett is doing some vital experiments when Rodney walksin on him. "Carson, we need you for the Chair".
"Sorry Rodney, you'll huv to get someone else", Says Beckett.
"There is no one else Carson", Says Rodney.
"Don't be an eejit there's loads o' people you can use now that we've adminsitered the ancient gene to a good dozen or so bodies, and I'm in the middle of doing some important research, which nobody else could day".
"Day?" Rodney asks Carson.
"Do", Carson answers
"Scots", Rodney rolls his eyes. "Carson! Chair! Now!"
Carson grows bothered, "Rodney! Taxi! Now!"
Rodney becomes upset that he hasn't got his way and fumes off out the room.
Carson laughs and says to himself, "nae bother."

Some Scot words there, but I like the idea of Carson telling someone to get a taxi :D

BruTak
March 15th, 2005, 06:24 AM
A piece of inaginative writing:

Beckett is doing some vital experiments when Rodney walksin on him. "Carson, we need you for the Chair".
"Sorry Rodney, you'll huv to get someone else", Says Beckett.
"There is no one else Carson", Says Rodney.
"Don't be an eejit there's loads o' people you can use now that we've adminsitered the ancient gene to a good dozen or so bodies, and I'm in the middle of doing some important research, which nobody else could day".
"Day?" Rodney asks Carson.
"Do", Carson answers
"Scots", Rodney rolls his eyes. "Carson! Chair! Now!"
Carson grows bothered, "Rodney! Taxi! Now!"
Rodney becomes upset that he hasn't got his way and fumes off out the room.
Carson laughs and says to himself, "nae bother."

Some Scot words there, but I like the idea of Carson telling someone to get a taxi :D
Or indeed the all time classic - "Pick a windae, yer leavin'!" :)
Waitin' for the day when Carson sticks the malky on a Wraith... :D

Indiana
March 15th, 2005, 08:46 AM
"Life sucking parasites of the Universe, little vemon sucking fanny's! I hate them!" - Carson
"yeah the Wraith do suck" - Rodney
"The Wraith? Naw son, I was talking about the Glasgow Ned, Rodney. The pegasus Galaxy is a walk in the park compared to making it through Wellbank street alive doon Barrheid" - Carson

sueKay
March 15th, 2005, 10:48 AM
A favourite from my area used by neds

(note: my area's mainly cut-off, backwards and inbred)

Aw you ya bawsack...you're gettin' slashed.

but I don't think Carson would say something like that :S

If someone mutters something under their breath though...he may say

'mone then...lets huv yae

or

'mone then...right noo

Indiana
March 16th, 2005, 03:14 PM
"och ay the nooo Jimmy!"

On a serious note, looking at Beckett's type of character do you think he woud use "ken"? "A dinna ken about that son".

Ken=know.

knocknashee
March 20th, 2005, 10:18 AM

Eejit is more of an Irish term than a Scottish one...

knocknashee
March 20th, 2005, 10:30 AM
DO NOT write a Scottish accent, it's bad writing! Just write English. Most of the Scottish speech is in the pacing of the words, ie folk like Beckett speak very fast...

Unless you're writing in the Scots language, and that's awfy difficult ye ken.

It's all accent and pace...I'm Irish and I speak very fast at times...so much so that a lot of my mates just look at me blankly and go "Say wha??!"

Every area of the UK has it's own regional dialects - but you wouldn't write a Londoner different to a Brummie, you'd just write in English...ultimately, Scots just have a different accent, unless you want to write in Scots Gaelic...

sueKay
March 20th, 2005, 01:24 PM
knocknashee

firstly - Eejit's used in Scotland...I use it everyday
Secondly - Scots is different from English with a Scottish accent...it is infact, a completely different language, and is recognised as such.

knocknashee
March 20th, 2005, 02:48 PM
knocknashee

firstly - Eejit's used in Scotland...I use it everyday
Secondly - Scots is different from English with a Scottish accent...it is infact, a completely different language, and is recognised as such.

Yeah but eejit isn't a 'Scottish' word...it's one borrowed from my country's slang vocabulary...if you asked most people, they would associate it more with Ireland than Scotland...

For the record, I'm Irish, and I consider 'Irish' to mean Gaelic and thus the language of our common ancestors...I'm sorry if you are offended because I consider 'Scottish' to be the version of Gaelic in your area of the world, and not the difference in the type of English you speak compared with your fellow Britons south of the border. If we're going to be that picky, then very few people on this board speak English by the standard being set here - most of them speak American...

Madeleine
March 21st, 2005, 11:53 PM
Eejit might not actually be Scottish, but it's a word Scottish people use and Americans don't (AFAIK) so it would work as a way to add a bit of colour to Carson's dialogue, I reckon.

BruTak
March 22nd, 2005, 06:09 AM
Depending on what Carson's religious persuasion is, Protestant or Catholic, in moments of extreme desperation he might be heard to mutter "In the name o' the wee man...".

The "wee man" inquestion being the image of the crucified Christ depicted on crosses worn by members of the Catholic faith.

hollyshannensangel
April 25th, 2005, 09:43 AM
Eejit is more of an Irish term than a Scottish one...
I was just about to say that. And personally, I perfer the word eejit, then idiot...couldn't say why and I tend to use it, *shrugs* I can't help it, like I said it sounds better than saying idiot. :p

Ah, thanks for these Scottish words....I need them for my fic. I do have a question though, when I'm writing Carson's dialect should I use the Scottish terms, but stick to the English?

BruTak
April 28th, 2005, 05:43 AM
I do have a question though, when I'm writing Carson's dialect should I use the Scottish terms, but stick to the English?
Hmmm - that's a tough one an' no mistake. I suppose you could get around it by having Carson say something particularly Scottish, then Dr. Weir (or whoever) asks him for a translation. ;)

Of course if you really wanted to be funny, you could have Carson and Dr. Zelenka jabbering away to one another in their native tongues and understanding each other perfectly. :D

hollyshannensangel
April 29th, 2005, 11:05 AM
Hmmm - that's a tough one an' no mistake. I suppose you could get around it by having Carson say something particularly Scottish, then Dr. Weir (or whoever) asks him for a translation. ;)

Of course if you really wanted to be funny, you could have Carson and Dr. Zelenka jabbering away to one another in their native tongues and understanding each other perfectly. :D

*Laughs at last comment*

In one of my scenes Aiden and Carson are talking....

“So, doc what’d you do?”

I have two options for Carson a) “Me? I didna do anything.”
b) “Me? I didn't do anything.”

Would option a) sound too confusing?

Mand

BruTak
April 30th, 2005, 01:57 AM
*Laughs at last comment*

In one of my scenes Aiden and Carson are talking....

“So, doc what’d you do?”

I have two options for Carson a) “Me? I didna do anything.”
b) “Me? I didn't do anything.”

Would option a) sound too confusing?

Mand
Well, if you want Carson to sound really Scottish, he has to say "It wiznae me!" (Translation: "It wasn't me!") ;)

It's kind of similar in tone to Bart Simpson's famous "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!"

cathcart.girl
October 16th, 2007, 12:00 PM
you should go for a) but i think it would be better if it was

"Me? I didnae do nothing."
or
"Me? I didnea do owt/nowt."

Commander Ivanova
October 18th, 2007, 04:13 AM
Well, if you want Carson to sound really Scottish, he has to say "It wiznae me!" (Translation: "It wasn't me!") ;)

Agree.