Need Scottish sayings for Fic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Scottish sayings for Fic

I'm writing an Atlantis fanfic that includes a few rather involved scenes with Ford and Beckett and I think I need a few more Scottish expressions for Beckett's dialogue.

Right now I have a lot of "bloodys" but that's about it. Would a Scotsman say "prat" or "git," or is that more of an English thing?
    Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

would he say ******?
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
      would he say ******?
      Not in my fic! LOL

Comment

You could try the online scots dictionary here: http://www.scots-online.org/dictionary/engscots.htm

A different fandom, but you could try asking at http://www.fictionalley.org/fictionalleypark/forums/ in their brit-picking forum. The people there are friendly and usually very helpful. It's worth searching for older threads in that forum as well- there's lots of stuff on accents around.

Comment

I think Beckett would say 'you're an eejit!' or something...If I have more brainwaves I'll get back to you!
          sigpic
          Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay
            I think Beckett would say 'you're an eejit!' or something...If I have more brainwaves I'll get back to you!
            I was having this very discussion with a couple of friends, just a day or two ago - spooky...

Anyway, some quaint Scottish words and phrases: Numpty - A stupid person of either gender. See also Nyaff, Heid the ba' (Trans: Head the ball), and Balloon.
            Ned - Acronym: Non Educated Delinquent. A Scottish Chav.
            "Awa an' bile yer heid!" (Trans: Go away and boil you head.) - A polite Scottish way to tell someone to go away.
            The Bad Fires - A polite euphamism for Hell.

There are many many more, but most of them aren't fit for polite company, or indeed impressionable young ladies - SueKay, this means you...
            sigpic
            Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
            To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
            And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Fitba = football/soccer

Nae goals nae fitba = No goals no football = crappy game of football/soccer ending in a 0-0 draw

Staved = knocked finger back. (Those from Southern Scotland might want to confirm that this isn't an Aberdeen only phrase) Context: "Aye, Rodney was messing around with that ancient device and the force it exerted staved his finger, nae it staved ALL his fingers
              I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt G
                Fitba = football/soccer

Nae goals nae fitba = No goals no football = crappy game of football/soccer ending in a 0-0 draw

Staved = knocked finger back. (Those from Southern Scotland might want to confirm that this isn't an Aberdeen only phrase) Context: "Aye, Rodney was messing around with that ancient device and the force it exerted staved his finger, nae it staved ALL his fingers
                Well, I'm from Dundee and live in Edinburgh, and I use staved as well.
                sigpic

Comment

Well this Scot uses git frequently and has educated several US friends into the habit too.

You could always have Beckett threaten to give whoever's bugging him a 'Glasgow kiss'. That's forehead butting to the rest of you. Or another common one heard on the dance floors: "Pick a windae, yer leavin'."

Albion
                  Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

If he ever has to talk about a kid, he can always use "bairn".
                    !!! HHGTTG movie out this May! Don't forget to bring your towel! !!!

[ | Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club | ]

Smor: My Anti-Drug

Ba'am: You can bet your ba'als on it.

(thanks to Justin for the pic and no, I'm not serious )

Comment

How about "keeping edgey"? Thats only used in Scotland, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler
                        I'm writing an Atlantis fanfic that includes a few rather involved scenes with Ford and Beckett and I think I need a few more Scottish expressions for Beckett's dialogue.

Right now I have a lot of "bloodys" but that's about it. Would a Scotsman say "prat" or "git," or is that more of an English thing?
                        Ah, just google it!

Go to www.google.com, pop in Scottish sayings, and poke around in your results

http://www.visitdunkeld.com/scottish-sayings.htm

http://www.worldofquotes.com/proverb/Scottish/1/

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/euroleader/w...n/glossary.htm

http://www.rampantscotland.com/parli...mo_insults.htm (for insults)

But Google's the place to go - SCottish terms, scottish dictionary, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinoflo
                          How about "keeping edgey?"
                          What does that mean?

Comment

Och, we use 'Stave' all the time here in Central Scotland.

It might be hard to use these words folks are suggesting in context. Even we don't know why we say some of the things we do, but isn't that the case in any language? Often it's the arrangement of the words. I came across a fic - a well written one, but the Scots content was hysterical in that the phrases the writer was using didn't have any relation to the suject - which can then turn a dramatic scene into something from Red Dwarf.

'Keep the heid!' - Don't lose your temper
                            'Mind' - remember, as in 'We've no medicine, mind.' or 'Mind, we forgot to take the medicine'.
                            'Aye, that'll be right' or 'Aye, that'll be shining bright!' (said sarcastically) - no way is that going to happen!
                            And, my all time fave - 'Yer bum's oot the windae!' - you've no chance, forget it, you're out of luck, etc.

These might be regional, but we use them all the time.
                            'Broon breed' - dead
                            'Potted heid' - rhyming slang for - deid (dead).
                            'Taking a hearty' - having a heart attack (that might be chav culture there)
                            'Jimmy riddle' - rhyming slang for - going for a piddle
                            'Tom Dick' - rhyming slang for - feeling sick.
                            'Gie's me the boak!' - makes me wretch!

Hah! Funny when you see your own words translated into English - only here for the banter!!
                            Never go to bed angry. Stay up and plot your revenge!

Comment

Here's a question, how do you write a Scottish accent?
                              *Insert something really cool here*

Comment

Working...
                              X