Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is up with networks cancelling the good shows.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is up with networks cancelling the good shows.....

....on cliffhangers, but letting crap run forever?

I am not including SG1, BSG and Star Trek on this because they are the exception and not the rule. But, SG1 WAS cancelled, and so was Enterprise.

Here's a list off the top of my head of great shows that were cancelled due to network stupidity:

V
    Firefly
    Enterprise
    Stargate Atlantis
    Stargate Universe
    Invasion
    The Event

Meanwhile talks for CSI: Los Angeles, Birmingham, Atlanta, Boston, Dallas, Oklahoma City, Denver, San Francisco, Detroit, Orlando, and Nashville continue.

Survivor and other crap reality shows continue.

More and more stale sit coms are introduced.

So, they come out with new shows, and I honestly am afraid to start watching because I don't want to be stabbed in the back when the networks decide that they need another forensics show.

So, I ask you all...What the frak is the point?
    sigpic
    Check out my blog/forum! http://williamtelltale.blogspot.com/

Sci Fi TV shows I have watched all of: Star Trek (all shows), Battlestar Galactica (All shows) Firefly, V (old and new) Caprica, SG1, Stargate Atlantis, Stargate Universe, Fringe, Farscape, Lexx, Babylon 5

Currently watching: The Walking Dead, Falling Skies, Dr Who, Supernatural, Revolution, Red Dwarf, Under the Dome, Sleepy Hollow, Andromeda

Reality shows are cheap to produce and crowd pleasers. All you need is 5th rate writers (yeah I know, reality shows don't use writers...riiiiiiiiight), people who aren't actors, and no special/visual effects or anything of the sort.

As for other shows like CSI, they are tried and true concepts. Execs are willing to bet that people will love them and watch them.

I for one wish that all channels would surrender their reality TV shows and all those shows go to a few channels designed specifically for them. All the networks could share the profits, and that would free up slots for actual shows. I'm especially tired of channels that are for a specific type of program (History, Sy Fy, etc) are producing more reality shows...
    sigpic

Comment

Yeah...I hear you about these reality shows..What does Ice Road Truckers have to do with history? There is so much world history that the History Channel could do, but instead, we get Ice Road Trucker and Pawn Stars marathons. And what is up with Storage Wars? I used to manage a storage facility. That show is so fake its not even funny. I watched it about 3 or 4 times before I realized most of that stuff is planted.
      sigpic

Sci Fi TV shows I have watched all of: Star Trek (all shows), Battlestar Galactica (All shows) Firefly, V (old and new) Caprica, SG1, Stargate Atlantis, Stargate Universe, Fringe, Farscape, Lexx, Babylon 5

Currently watching: The Walking Dead, Falling Skies, Dr Who, Supernatural, Revolution, Red Dwarf, Under the Dome, Sleepy Hollow, Andromeda

Comment

Pawn Stars is the only thing that even REMOTELY belongs on the History Channel. But even still, I want it OFF. It's fake with all that "I can't afford to pay you that price" BS...YOU ARE BEING PAID BY A NETWORK, you can afford to give them more money. And then, some of those idiots (staged or not) selling things that could go for so much more at auction or even should go to a museum...

I want more History. That's why I watch History International whenever I get the chance.
        sigpic

Comment

Network executives are pale, frail wizards who sustain themselves on money and if they have to spend a little more and get a little less, they cast their evil spells and shows go bye-bye.

Comment

I can't even watch that show. Want to know how a pawn shop works? I'm sure there are at least 3 in every town in the USA. Go there. I also want it gone from The History Channel. But, if they do keep it, at least show it once a week. We don't need day long marathons of it.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Phinguyver View Post
              I can't even watch that show. Want to know how a pawn shop REALLY works? I'm sure there are at least 3 in every town in the USA. Go there. I also want it gone from The History Channel. But, if they do keep it, at least show it once a week. We don't need day long marathons of it.
              Fixed that

I want to see how different it is when the camera is off when it comes to pseudo-reality shows. People act differently when there is a camera on them, intentionally or not. There is no such thing as "reality" television.

As for SyFy, if they would stop producing such crappy movies every year (what, 5 or 6 a year?) they could instead produce a new, quality show every two years in addition to all the others. They even could have picked up on shows that were cancelled well before their time (The 4400, Dead Zone, Firefly, hell even Heroes deserved an ending).
              sigpic

Comment

Money. The shows that get the people get the money and those are the shows that move on. So if you want to blame anyone blame your peers for watching bad TV
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

I do blame them. Constantly. lol
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                    Money. The shows that get the people get the money and those are the shows that move on. So if you want to blame anyone blame your peers for watching bad TV
                    Originally posted by Phinguyver View Post
                    I do blame them. Constantly. lol
                    I do too. I constantly tell my friends "quit watching that crap and watch something else, the shows need the support and you need some quality television!"

One of my friends thinks that Jersey Shore is one of the best shows on TV...
                    sigpic

Comment

The only Jersey Shore I've seen is on Tosh.0. I cant believe people watch crap like that. Another hideous show is Teen Mom. My wife watches that crap show. I rip it to shreds every time she watches it. Here is a blog I wrote about it http://todayinmyownwords.blogspot.co...it-really.html
                      sigpic

Comment

Oh god don't get me started on Teen Mom...or Sixteen and Pregnant...or anything like that. Those shows only ENCOURAGE that sort of behavior, in my opinion, by showing that it isn't all that bad having a kid at that age.

And then there's stuff like Toddlers & Tiaras...One of my friends said that after watching that show they want their daughter to do that sort of stuff and EVERYONE said "Noooooooooooooooooo"
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post
                          Oh god don't get me started on Teen Mom...or Sixteen and Pregnant...or anything like that. Those shows only ENCOURAGE that sort of behavior, in my opinion, by showing that it isn't all that bad having a kid at that age.

And then there's stuff like Toddlers & Tiaras...One of my friends said that after watching that show they want their daughter to do that sort of stuff and EVERYONE said "Noooooooooooooooooo"
                          The BBC has a series called "Hotter than my Daughter". Annoys me to no end knowing that my TV Licence fee pays for this sort of crap. At least in the US you can ignore it, by UK law I'm expected to fund it.

sigpic

Comment

I haven't watched television since they canceled Atlantis. After Firefly, Farscape, and Atlantis I'm not willing to let myself care about any show again and go through the disappointment. I realized after Atlantis was over that I had not even turned on the TV in actual months so I canceled my service (I still get internet). I let the cable company and SyFy know why too. It's been over 2 years now and I haven't missed mindless channel flicking for one minute.
                            John Sheppard - thunkable, whumpable but absolutely NOT shippable - he's mine and I'm keeping him.

sigpic
                            sig and avi by mrscopterdoc for Secret Santa 2015
                            Recommended Sheppard/Team Sheppard Fics

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                              The BBC has a series called "Hotter than my Daughter". Annoys me to no end knowing that my TV Licence fee pays for this sort of crap. At least in the US you can ignore it, by UK law I'm expected to fund it.
                              What the hell is that about?
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X