• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daniel versus Jonas

Although they would make a great duo, here's the contrast :
    Daniel = Kvetchy, Cynical and Brooding
    Jonas = Smiling, Happy Go Lucky and Innocent

I liked that they were polar opposites. What's funny, though, is that Jonas mirrors how Daniel was in the first season. I think it was ultimately the loss of Sha're that lead to the cynical, brooding Daniel of later seasons. I also liked that Daniel was always sarcastic while Jonas had this bright-smiled innocence about him. haha

Usually, when a character is replaced on a TV show, you don't see the new guy interact much with the departing character. I really like that they allowed these two to interact. It helped Jackson's departure in "Meridian" flow naturally. It also added a larger scale to the "Full Circle" / "Fallen" / "Homecoming" trilogy. Was Jackson on the drill ship in "Fallout?"

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
      Usually, when a character is replaced on a TV show, you don't see the new guy interact much with the departing character. I really like that they allowed these two to interact. It helped Jackson's departure in "Meridian" flow naturally. It also added a larger scale to the "Full Circle" / "Fallen" / "Homecoming" trilogy. Was Jackson on the drill ship in "Fallout?"
      No. It was Sam and Teal'c, with Jonas and Kiana. Daniel was back on earth helping negotiate with those squabbling Langarans on what to with potential refugees if the worst happened to Langara. And Jack walked out on the negotiations, pretty much telling them to go ahead and blow themselves up.

Comment

I didn't think Daniel was on the drill ship. I always liked the episodes where he played negotiator.

Comment

I often wonder how Jonas would have progressed if Daniel never came back to the show. It would have ended up being more different with both Daniel and Jack gone in seasons 9 and 10 (if they even got the chance to last that long).

Comment

If Daniel hadn't come back, I don't think the show would have lasted as long as it did. It probably would have ended with the seventh or eighth season. The quest for Atlantis, defeat of Anubis, Daniel's role with the replicators, and "Moebius" would have played out entirely differently.

Comment

I like both but personally I like Daniel the best, he was the first on the show and I think he was closer to the team. to me it feels like Jonas was just his replacement (which he actually was) until Daniel got back.

Comment

i love them both.

i like daniel: because hes always seeing the good in people. and as i think sam says "hes the kind of guy that was torn apart when he couldn't make a difference"

jonas: because of how he was new to everything and excited about it. and how they had him interact with the team and over the course of a year he becomes one of them.

reference to fallout, i love how daniel and jonas swich places again acidently. jonas is with sam and teal'c on a mission and daniel (and some of o'neill) are dealing with his people.
                sigpic

Comment

I agree with you. I just wonder why if they were able to have Doran in the last season on the SG1 team they couldn't have kept Jonas on the team WITH Daniel as a duo in season 7 etc. Especially if RDA was reducing his presence. Did they have more money in the last season than in the 7th one in the casting budget?

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
                  I liked that they were polar opposites. What's funny, though, is that Jonas mirrors how Daniel was in the first season. I think it was ultimately the loss of Sha're that lead to the cynical, brooding Daniel of later seasons. I also liked that Daniel was always sarcastic while Jonas had this bright-smiled innocence about him. haha

Comment

I hate the fact that they got rid of jonas though im pretty sure the actor was pretty disappointed to since he wanted to be in more episodes of season 7 and 8 he said he pitched a few ideas but most were declined.

Really I think they should have included him in to atlantis although his acting is very different to the otehr atlantis actors I think it would have been great to have him on without effecting the sg1 series and he would have also had more influence back at the SGC later on in atlantis then

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2 View Post
                      I agree with you. I just wonder why if they were able to have Doran in the last season on the SG1 team they couldn't have kept Jonas on the team WITH Daniel as a duo in season 7 etc. Especially if RDA was reducing his presence. Did they have more money in the last season than in the 7th one in the casting budget?
                      I think it had more to do with Daniel and Jonas serving the same role on the team. To have them both at the same time would be redundant. As for the larger cast in the final season, I don't think the show's budget prevented them from having a five-man team in the past. Atlantis always had a larger cast than SG-1. One could argue that as the years went by, SG-1's budget increased? I don't know. It certainly looked that way, though. When RDA left the show, O'Neill's departure left a huge character vacuum so much so that they had to bring in not one but three people to replace him. Landry serves as the new SGC commander, Mitchell is the new star and team leader, and Vala stepped in to provide the humor. I liked Ben Browder and Mitchell overall. What I didn't like was that he was an inexperienced F-302 pilot who gets command of SG-1, because... why? Lt. Col. Carter had command of SG-1, but now she answers to Mitchell, because... why? I would have preferred that he'd simply been transferred from another team with Carter in command (they still could have done the five-episode absence).

Originally posted by tomaso88 View Post
                      I hate the fact that they got rid of jonas though im pretty sure the actor was pretty disappointed to since he wanted to be in more episodes of season 7 and 8 he said he pitched a few ideas but most were declined.
                      He was in three episodes of the seventh season. I'm not sure if he'd have fit in the eighth season. However, I think Seasons 9&10 would have been the ideal time to bring him back for a recurring role.

Originally posted by tomaso88 View Post
                      Really I think they should have included him in to atlantis although his acting is very different to the otehr atlantis actors I think it would have been great to have him on without effecting the sg1 series and he would have also had more influence back at the SGC later on in atlantis then
                      How would he fit in with Atlantis? He was an alien, like Teal'c and Vala. The Atlantis Expedition was exclusively people from Earth. Further, his role on SG-1 was to fill in for Daniel and to help with naquadria. I just don't see what he'd have to contribute to Atlantis. Besides, they already have the cultural expert: Teyla.

Comment

he would have made a great recurring character in seasons 9 and 10, especially after his planet is attacked by the ori. i think they could have had him take referge on earth and be assigned to another sg team. then of course be a recurring character. not sure how he would have fit in atlantis, but definetly he should have been in that sgu episode.
                        sigpic

Comment

Oh yes, definitely the SGU episode. I didn't watched the show; but with McKay, Woolsey, and Jonas? I'd have tuned in.

As for a recurring role in SG-1's Ori saga, two to four episodes would have been plenty. Imagine SG-1 goes to Jonas's world to seek out more Naquadria only to find out an Ori Prior had already arrived and was still there. The episode could have revolved around SG-1 helping Jonas Quinn start an underground resistance against the Ori. That could have kicked off a small story arc for a few episodes culminating in the freedom of his world. Imagine "Line in the Sand" happening on Jonas's planet!

Comment

I definitely agree that the appearance of Jonas in the SGU episode 'Seizure' would have added a bit more to the episode. I would have thought he of all people on his planet would have supported the idea of helping to dial Destiny and be there enthusiastically helping! He would have been put in a really awkward position too when the humans from Earth tried to take over the facility and go ahead with dialing anyway.

That's what I liked about Jonas, his infectious enthusiasm for things that SG-1 had become a bit jaded towards. He brought back that fresh view towards problems and was very similar to Daniel in that respect. His insatiable thirst for knowledge was the same also.

I liked both of them as they seemed quite similar to me in their approach, both were valuable contributers to the success of SG-1's missions in their own ways. I think Daniel became the more cynical one with having to argue with Jack much of the time! Jonas didn't have as much time to be changed by his experiences, but he did seem to be more serious when we see him again back on his home world in season 7.

Comment

It's Lt-BG here!

No offense, but I don't think your assessment is accurate. In my humble opinion, Daniel's great. He's smart in an Archeologist kind of way and is vital to the team.

Remember Joe Spencer, the guy from Indiana that touched the stone and saw SG-1 in action? Remember when he saw Daniel reapear in the gravity cell Jack was in? He jumped for joy-- literally. That is kind of what I did when we saw Daniel ascended for the first time. Really, admit it. The team is just not the same without Daniel.

Thanks,
                              Lt-BG
                              "Teal'c is like Spock, only without the pointy ears."

-Unknown

Comment

Working...
                              X