Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why was Richard Dean Anderson gone so much in the sixth and seventh seasons?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why was Richard Dean Anderson gone so much in the sixth and seventh seasons?

I'm working my way through SG-1 for the first time--just watched episode 7 of season 7, "Enemy Mine"--and I've noticed that Richard Dean Anderson seems to be gone a lot, starting in the sixth season. Does anyone know why? I looked on IMDB and didn't notice anything in his acting credits that would have taken him away from the show.

I thought maybe it was just a string of non-O'Neill-centric episodes, but in "Enemy Mine" he gets "hurt" about 10 minutes into the episode and then sits the rest of it out--it's just seeming deliberate at this point.

Because he was slowly moving away from a main cast member, he wanted to spend more time with his family.

Comment

Originally posted by General Jumper One View Post
      Because he was slowly moving away from a main cast member, he wanted to spend more time with his family.
      This.

He was working in Vancouver, while his family lived in Los Angeles.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by General Jumper One View Post
        Specifically his youngest child.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
          I'm working my way through SG-1 for the first time--just watched episode 7 of season 7, "Enemy Mine"--and I've noticed that Richard Dean Anderson seems to be gone a lot, starting in the sixth season. Does anyone know why? I looked on IMDB and didn't notice anything in his acting credits that would have taken him away from the show.

I thought maybe it was just a string of non-O'Neill-centric episodes, but in "Enemy Mine" he gets "hurt" about 10 minutes into the episode and then sits the rest of it out--it's just seeming deliberate at this point.
          He wanted to spend more time with his daughter, who was about 5 or 6 by that time (having been born in 1998). She is his only child. And this will also be the reason why he's absent or has less to do in future episodes.

Comment

For me, it didn't become noticeable until the seventh season. In the eighth season, they changed up the show so his reduced screen time is explained within the show.

Comment

I am sure actors on multiple long running shows get tired of not having a life after a while.

Comment

Originally posted by unknown_k View Post
                I am sure actors on multiple long running shows get tired of not having a life after a while.
                Haha. He could have just moved her to where he was working...? Missed opportunity x'D

Comment

Originally posted by GATEGOD View Post
                  Haha. He could have just moved her to where he was working...? Missed opportunity x'D
                  Taking his kid out of the country to go to a different school and to be alone while he was working all day anyway? And if he had joint custidy with the ex you can't just up and leave with the kid.

Comment

Originally posted by unknown_k View Post
                    Taking his kid out of the country to go to a different school and to be alone while he was working all day anyway? And if he had joint custidy with the ex you can't just up and leave with the kid.
                    In an interview which can probably be found on his website, he said something about he and his girlfriend wanting their daughter to be educated in U.S. schools, which was why Wylie stayed in California with her mother.

Comment

I agree, then check the next episode, "Space Race." It's a Sam-centered episode like this one was a Daniel-centered episode. Too bad the show has taken a turn this way in Season 7. O'Neill is hide-and-seek. And Daniel too. Teal'c is on the sidelines.

RDA was looking to exit the show and at the same time have more time with his kid in California. Can't blame him totally on either count after 6 full years. People get bored. Too bad. The quality of the show is changing.

Originally posted by Tracer Bullet View Post

Comment

Like I said, Season 8 more than makes up for Season 7 being O'Neill-lite.

Comment

Just wait until his one and only appearance in season 10.
                          sigpic
                          Check out my blog/forum! http://williamtelltale.blogspot.com/

Sci Fi TV shows I have watched all of: Star Trek (all shows), Battlestar Galactica (All shows) Firefly, V (old and new) Caprica, SG1, Stargate Atlantis, Stargate Universe, Fringe, Farscape, Lexx, Babylon 5

Currently watching: The Walking Dead, Falling Skies, Dr Who, Supernatural, Revolution, Red Dwarf, Under the Dome, Sleepy Hollow, Andromeda

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
                            Like I said, Season 8 more than makes up for Season 7 being O'Neill-lite.
                            RDA appeared even less in S8. Its just not as obvious because the majority of S8 are just Earth stories
                            Originally posted by aretood2
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Phinguyver View Post
                              Just wait until his one and only appearance in season 10.
                              Two episodes, not one: "200" and "The Shroud."

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                              RDA appeared even less in S8. Its just not as obvious because the majority of S8 are just Earth stories
                              There were more Earth-bound episodes than usual, but most of the season? Hardly. 10 at most. For some this was bothersome, for me... I didn't care as long as the episodes were entertaining. As for RDA's role, I simply meant that his new role allows for his reduced screen time without the viewer wondering where he went. I don't want to say what that new role is so as to not spoil it for new viewers.
                              Last edited by Snowman37; 23 December 2011, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X