General Hammond - Don Davis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General Hammond - Don Davis

Am I correct that Don Davis's health issues before he left the show forced him to greatly reduce his on-screen involvement by Season 6?

I couldn't help but notice that it seemed that by mid Season 6 General Hammond's involvement in the show consisted of:

1) Colonel O'Neill, what happened?
    2) Well, then it's a go!"
    3) Will he/she survive?
    4) We have no choice, Major, that's an order, dismissed."

So far there hasn't been a single episode where he was the central focus of the action or experiences. That's a shame because I like Hammond and Don Davis very much.

You are correct. He had health issues which forced him to reduce his schedule and then retire.

He was never the central character of any episode, but there were some where he got to do lots more than sitting at his desk or in the conference room or standing at the window in the control room. Specifically, I'm thinking of "Out of Mind"/"Into the Fire" when he went offworld to help find SG1.

And while he wasn't in it a lot, "Chain Reaction" revolved around his resignation as head of the SGC.

You're in good company with liking Hammond and Don Davis so much. Many of the rest of us did too.

Oh, and you should add to your list:

"Welcome back, SG1."
    "Godspeed."
    "Dial the gate."

Comment

I thought he was front and center right up to "Lost City?" I never noticed his reduced screen time prior to that episode. On the bright side, he never really left the show. He stayed on in a recurring role for each subsequent season and appeared in the second movie. I'm glad he stuck around in a smaller role.

Comment

Good points....... He looked healthy on the show. It's a shame we never got to see him as the central subject of a situation. For that matter, it's too bad that he didn't have more real opportunities to use the stargate himself. I think until Season 6 he used it himself only once or twice if I remember correctly.

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
        You are correct. He had health issues which forced him to reduce his schedule and then retire.

He was never the central character of any episode, but there were some where he got to do lots more than sitting at his desk or in the conference room or standing at the window in the control room. Specifically, I'm thinking of "Out of Mind"/"Into the Fire" when he went offworld to help find SG1.

And while he wasn't in it a lot, "Chain Reaction" revolved around his resignation as head of the SGC.

You're in good company with liking Hammond and Don Davis so much. Many of the rest of us did too.

Oh, and you should add to your list:

"Welcome back, SG1."
        "Godspeed."
        "Dial the gate."

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2 View Post
          It's a shame we never got to see him as the central subject of a situation.
          I went through the episode guide. I came up with at least four episodes where we saw Hammond as a central character in an episode. The episodes are...

4-15 "Chain Reaction"
          6-17 "Disclosure"
          7-21 "Lost City"
          8-12 "Prometheus Unbound"

For that matter, it's too bad that he didn't have more real opportunities to use the stargate himself.
          I think Hammond only went through the stargate twice in 2-3 "Prisoners" and 3-1 "Into the Fire." However, he was also seen in command of the Prometheus in 7-21 "Lost City" and 8-12 "Prometheus Unbound."

Comment

he did go through a few times, the first thing that came to my head is "yehah" when he is flying with teal'c.

as for his health, i would imagine that being the reason why we see less of him over the years. and doesn't he appear in a few atlantis episodes?
            sigpic

Comment

Just one, "Home" from the first season. Granted, he's...
              Spoiler:
              ...revealed to be an alien impersonation of Hammond.

Interestingly, every SGC leader has popped up on Atlantis at some point. Hammond was in "Home," Weir was a main character, O'Neill was in four episodes, and Landry was in five.

Comment

Don Davis seemed like a wonderful man, and he played General Hammond superbly.
                sigpic
                MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                "...phu...ah..."
                "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                  Don Davis seemed like a wonderful man, and he played General Hammond superbly.
                  He was one of my favorite characters (and my favorite SG leader even though I loved them all). I was saddened to hear that Don Davis had died and finding out about it late. I read that he died sometime after Continuum unfortunately and that he didn't get to see his scenes.

Comment

Who runs the SGC and the Gate in a situation where SG1 AND General Hammond are off-world as in the episode at the beginning of the 7th season, "Fallen"??

Comment

Who runs the SGC and the Gate in a situation where SG1 AND General Hammond are off-world as in the episode at the beginning of the 7th season, "Fallen"??
                      my guess is walter, at least the gate part of it.
                      sigpic

Comment

Col. Reynolds
                        Originally posted by aretood2
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                        X