PDA

View Full Version : My Opinion/Feeling on S4 Ratings. Will there be S5?

Pages : [1] 2

Steff
December 8th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Everyone's Opinions/Feelings on S4 Ratings. Will there be S5?

No data needed to support what you think. This is your gut feelings..

Let the Discussion begin.

No one is right here. Everyone play nice

majorsal
December 8th, 2011, 02:33 PM
i hope so!! :p

i 'think' the ratings are 'good enough' for an s5, but i believe 5 will be the last season.

i think if sanctuary wants to go beyond s5, it'll need to stir the plot pot. OR, focus on what they know really works and what the fans/viewers really appreciate.

so i guess i'm saying is either go way out and do some stuff never done, or focus on the stuff they/ptb know fans really like. it's go to one end or the other, not the middle.

^ i don't if i agree with what i just said. :S :p

Steff
December 8th, 2011, 02:38 PM
I'll start off with my feelings.

Season 5... That would be a almost no for me. There are a few things that could get the pickup from Syfy and that would be the constant 0.4 they are getting this year. So i see that at a slim chance when you add the funding by Beedie. Haven't heard anything about Beedie this year so we don't know if they have financing. If they don't then no Season 5 is very probable.

Why else I think maybe no season 5.... Watching many cast members this season put on quest star status. I see this as trying to save money but what will they have to do next year as cost rise? Will they lose some on the Cast as a result. Do we want to only have two regular cast Helen/Will.... Yes to Helen for me but just Will the other one. grrrr

Steff
December 8th, 2011, 02:40 PM
i hope so!! :p

i 'think' the ratings are 'good enough' for an s5, but i believe 5 will be the last season.

i think if sanctuary wants to go beyond s5, it'll need to stir the plot pot. OR, focus on what they know really works and what the fans/viewers really appreciate.

so i guess i'm saying is either go way out and do some stuff never done, or focus on the stuff they/ptb know fans really like. it's go to one end or the other, not the middle.

^ i don't if i agree with what i just said. :S :p

Stir the plot pot....

You have hit it. Writing is so important.... I have been disappointed with some of the episodes because of this since 3.5.

majorsal
December 8th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Stir the plot pot....

You have hit it. Writing is so important.... I have been disappointed with some of the episodes because of this since 3.5.

i'm afraid stirring the plot pot might get us more 'monsoon' antics, and i'm 'not' a fan of that. :p of course, i would be totally fine with helen getting it on with a hot guy, but that's just my tastes. slash type storylines just don't do it for me, but i know others feel different. :)

sometimes when i watch 'supernatural', i wish the writers took more of that adult type story telling.

i so, so, sooo hope sanctuary gets renewed! iz gots to have my amanda fix! :p

(((sanctuary fans))) :)

Steff
December 8th, 2011, 05:50 PM
i'm afraid stirring the plot pot might get us more 'monsoon' antics, and i'm 'not' a fan of that. :p of course, i would be totally fine with helen getting it on with a hot guy, but that's just my tastes. slash type storylines just don't do it for me, but i know others feel different. :)

sometimes when i watch 'supernatural', i wish the writers took more of that adult type story telling.

i so, so, sooo hope sanctuary gets renewed! iz gots to have my amanda fix! :p

(((sanctuary fans))) :)

They did seem to try things this year. What does everyone think of the effect of having more arc stories compared to the stand alone monster of the week? Do you think the ratings would go up if they returned to the more stand-alone Season 1 type episodes. I was a firm believer that it would but I was disappointed with the filler episodes of season 3 with the exception of Hangover. But last week's episode showed me that can do it right. That episode was what I want Sanctuary to be. Yet the ratings don't show how good it was. Ratings seem to be a week late in cause and effect. We can't directly place ratings with the episode. Too many factors. Did people like the week before, what night is it being shown on, what is going on in the world, was it a popular night for children's recitals? hehe

Dinoman
December 8th, 2011, 06:04 PM
I do hope there will be a Season 5, even though it would be the last. The writers just started to dig and explore deeper into the relationships between characters and there were some new parties in S4 such as FBI, SCIU, DHS, etc. that could expand the story further. That said, funding aside, if Sanctuary wants to go into or beyond S5 I think they need a bigger network, way beyond the government agencies. Stargate has the whole galaxy, Gou'ald and Jaffa stories to tell, Eureka has the whole town and the research facility (I just started on Eureka so correct me if I'm wrong), but Sanctuary only has a handful of people to play with if not MOTW. I wouldn't mind to have more Watson and Tesla but this is a challenge to the producers and writers.

JMHO.

Skydiver
December 8th, 2011, 06:17 PM
I think it's 50/50. Beedie has apparently been giving them funding, i base this solely on seeing 'special thanks' or something like that in the credits.

the ratings havent' been all that great. Overall fan opinions also seem to trend that s3.5 was uneven and weak (like instead of 13 zingers we got 13 good, 3 zingers and the rest filler) However, if the ratings are 'low' (which is a relative term by the way) we don't know the renewal threshold. FOr all we know the current ratings make them a profit.

I do also agree if there is a s5 that'll be it. They'll hit the 60+ episode syndication mark and it'll be over with them moving onto something else.

Dinoman
December 8th, 2011, 06:20 PM
What also worry me is that the main casts look like having fun doing something new now, so I doubt how eager they are to come back to do a S5.

Steff
December 8th, 2011, 06:23 PM
What also worry me is that the main casts look like having fun doing something new now, so I doubt how eager they are to come back to do a S5.

I scared about Ryan Robbins, but happy for him too. He keeps working on Falling Skies week after week. A Steven Spielberg show. How could he pass up anything that would develop from that? I LOVE Henry.

majorsal
December 8th, 2011, 06:28 PM
They did seem to try things this year. What does everyone think of the effect of having more arc stories compared to the stand alone monster of the week? Do you think the ratings would go up if they returned to the more stand-alone Season 1 type episodes.

i like the story arcs more than the monster of the week. i think the ratings would go up if 1- they did more helen centric storylines, and 2- they advertised that they were.

i also think they need to stop the b-storylines, b/c they only take away from the main plot <-- especially if the b-storyline isn't involving helen! the 5 is a very popular concept, done wonderfully by all the actors they hired to play them!

i really don't know what would make the ratings go up, i know what i 'like' and just wish they'd do more of that.

majorsal
December 8th, 2011, 06:31 PM
I do also agree if there is a s5 that'll be it. They'll hit the 60+ episode syndication mark and it'll be over with them moving onto something else.

i would SO love to see a 6th season, just focusing on helen magnus! i really think they could pull it off, they'd just need to do their absolute best on *every* episode, and i believe it would be a hit. a bigger hit than the regular sanctuary series!

all fangirling aside, i really believe this. :p

ann_sgcfan
December 8th, 2011, 07:25 PM
I think sanctuary is on the fence, it could go either way. It has a few episodes left and ratings haven't been all that stellar. They may get another year, but I wouldn't be shocked if it got cancelled.

If there is a season 5 - I think it will be the last. Syfy seems to have more reality type shows on now than scripted shows. I don't think they are trying to do away with scripted show, I just think it's cheaper to make the reality shows. I've even heard next season there is going to be a syfy reality game show with Urkel (Jaleel White) hosting.

My personal preference on what I like about sanctuary and wish they would do more of ... The stories involving the Five. I think the Five has always been the show's strongest asset, but they always seemed to have difficulty meshing The Five story arcs with the current team story arcs. I think the Five was just a way to explain who Helen was/is but the characters were so much more fleshed out that it kinda created a whole other series within a series. The Five's lengthy complicated past offered more stories than the monster of the week. While the hollow earth was a very good attempt at bringing both the five and the current team together it's kinda been hit and miss for me.

Dinoman
December 8th, 2011, 07:29 PM
My personal preference on what I like about sanctuary and wish they would do more of ... The stories involving the Five. I think the Five has always been the show's strongest asset, but they always seemed to have difficulty meshing The Five story arcs with the current team story arcs. I think the Five was just a way to explain who Helen was/is but the characters were so much more fleshed out that it kinda created a whole other series within a series. The Five's lengthy complicated past offered more stories than the monster of the week. While the hollow earth was a very good attempt at bringing both the five and the current team together it's kinda been hit and miss for me.

It is in fact a bit difficult because 2 of the Fives are dead and 1 is MIA. ;)

ann_sgcfan
December 8th, 2011, 07:43 PM
LOL True, but I haven't heard anything about the one that is MIA (it may be that I missed it). Shouldn't someone at least go - hey anyone seen the big bald guy lately ... :P

While Tesla and John seem to be/ used to be the two semi-regulars (other than Helen Obviously) they could carry the Five story arcs and add in flashbacks to Watson ... I could see it working. :D I'm not saying I don't like the current team (I do, points to avatar). I like them all, just wish writers would have found a better way to incorporate the two teams/groups. :)

Abnormal
December 8th, 2011, 08:41 PM
Everyone's Opinions/Feelings on S4 Ratings. Will there be S5?

No data needed to support what you think. This is your gut feelings..

Let the Discussion begin.

No one is right here. Everyone play nice

Just what I expected! Thank you honey!

Rocky89
December 8th, 2011, 08:43 PM
I think it's 50/50. Beedie has apparently been giving them funding, i base this solely on seeing 'special thanks' or something like that in the credits.

the ratings havent' been all that great. Overall fan opinions also seem to trend that s3.5 was uneven and weak (like instead of 13 zingers we got 13 good, 3 zingers and the rest filler) However, if the ratings are 'low' (which is a relative term by the way) we don't know the renewal threshold. FOr all we know the current ratings make them a profit.

60 episode mark? I thought the syndication mark was 100 episodes? I think that as long as it pulls at least a 1.3 average, it's OK. :) I keep thinking back to it's 1.4 and a 0.5 demo. :p

I think sanctuary is on the fence, it could go either way. It has a few episodes left and ratings haven't been all that stellar. They may get another year, but I wouldn't be shocked if it got cancelled.

If there is a season 5 - I think it will be the last. Syfy seems to have more reality type shows on now than scripted shows. I don't think they are trying to do away with scripted show, I just think it's cheaper to make the reality shows. I've even heard next season there is going to be a syfy reality game show with Urkel (Jaleel White) hosting.

Oy, Syfy and it's non-Syfy shows. :rolleyes:

It seems that 5 seasons is the max number of their shows. I mean, SG-1, SGA and Eureka, and I'd be proud if it went 5 seasons, which a very good for any sci-fi show. :)

Abnormal
December 8th, 2011, 08:54 PM
I've read all the posts and here's what I can say:

- I don't think the numbers have been good lately but they were quite good at the beginning. As Steff said, what could save the show would be the demo because the show is stable with its 0.4% even when viewers are down to 900.000 (impressive, by the way!)

- I hope there'll be another season too, but... I've been quite disappointed by the episodes lately. Chimera was great and I had liked Homecoming and Tempus, but most of the other episodes were either just okay or poorly written (my opinion). Plus, As someone said, the fact that a few regular characters have been less present (Kate and Druit) seems to prove that financial problems will be even bigger next time. And I don't want a season 5 with only Magnus and Will for instance (that would remind me of ALIAS or Ally Mc Beal, in which most of the lead actors left or were fired after 2 or three seasons...)

- I also agree with Ann on the fact that it would be much better to develop the Five story arc. I miss them. But I also miss stories with Hollow Earth... That said, that's what we fans want, but I'm not sure it's what "normal" viewers want. For the show to get more viewers, I think we need more standalone episodes so that new viewers can understand everything BUT when I say new standalones I also mean GOOD standalones!!!!! Not what they gave us in the second part of season 3!!

- I look forward to seeing how the ratings will be next Friday.

- Oh and last thing that tells me that maybe it won't get a 5th season: I did not agree last year with those who said it was a good thing to have Sanctuary back on Friday. Of course it is good for the ratings, but as I see things it's a bad sign because Syfy believed the show was stronger when they moved it to Mondays and then by putting it back on Friday it's as though they admitted they were wrong. But that's just my opinion, maybe I'll be heard much more than last year on this thread :)

Abnormal
December 8th, 2011, 08:56 PM
60 episode mark? I thought the syndication mark was 100 episodes? I think that as long as it pulls at least a 1.3 average, it's OK. :) I keep thinking back to it's 1.4 and a 0.5 demo. :p

Oy, Syfy and it's non-Syfy shows. :rolleyes:

It seems that 5 seasons is the max number of their shows. I mean, SG-1, SGA and Eureka, and I'd be proud if it went 5 seasons, which a very good for any sci-fi show. :)

I can check, but I'm pretty sure a show needs 80 or 85 episodes for syndication.

Steff
December 8th, 2011, 09:05 PM
I can check, but I'm pretty sure a show needs 80 or 85 episodes for syndication.

They can sell it as if it makes it to 65 as a 13 week block that is becoming popular. They show it Monday through Friday for the 13 weeks.

The next one is 88 I think. (I have no idea who came up with 88. ??)

Then 100

Abnormal
December 8th, 2011, 09:07 PM
They can sell it as if it makes it to 65 as a 13 week block that is becoming popular. They show it Monday through Friday for the 13 weeks.

Oh but that can change things then, Sky has a good point. If you take the example of Community on NBC. The ratings are extremely low but it might be saved thanks to syndication. That's what saved Medium as well.

==> Gives me hope.

Steff
December 8th, 2011, 09:13 PM
Oh but that can change things then, Sky has a good point. If you take the example of Community on NBC. The ratings are extremely low but it might be saved thanks to syndication. That's what saved Medium as well.

==> Gives me hope.

Good selling point to Beedie. Depending on the backdoor deals they have, it would be silly to let it go just 8 episodes away from (65).

Skydiver
December 9th, 2011, 03:25 AM

The next one is 88 I think. (I have no idea who came up with 88. ??)

Then 100

True it was 30 years ago, but one reason star trek lasted so long is that they got 3 seasons, thus 66-69 episodes, which allowed them to run in 'strip syndication' (selling to local stations to air 5 nights a week). Right now Sanctuary has 59. Getting a season 5 will put them at 72.

It is totally my opinion, but I honestly think SG1 got s10 just so skiffy could brag about 'longest running us scifi show' I think SGA got season 5 just so they could hit 100 episodes....it's very possible that sanctuary could get a s5, just so that the investors can have access to long running strip syndie money (invest now to get returns later)

total guesses of course, but I do think sometimes hitting goals or milestones can effect renewal just as much as ratings.

fems
December 9th, 2011, 06:32 AM
I'm not really into the whole ratings thing (although I've followed the thread) because I simply have never paid any attention to other shows' ratings, nor do I have any influence on Sanctuary's ratings.

However, based on what I've seen so far I think a season 5 could be possible as long as the ratings don't drop any lower and they keep the 0.4 demo. Still, that might be difficult with the holidays coming along. I used to always make sure to watch my favorite shows despite the holidays, but these days it's so easy to catch up on shows by taping/DVRing them, watching re-runs, buying it on iTunes or whatever or just watch it online. I mean, I don't even have a TV these days but I still watch all my shows.

I have to say I'm more a fan of the story arcs than standalone monster (or date!) of the week and really enjoyed the Cabal story line in the first season, then HE in season 3 and now going Rogue in season 4.

Personally I think the HE arc was well done in that it wasn't the end of the world if you missed an episode because despite it being an arc most of the events per episode could still be standalones. They just kinda messed up season 3 by doing a major story arc and filler, standalone episodes. Like they couldn't make up their minds, didn't have enough inspiration or wanted to give the viewers a bit of both.

I agree with some of you here that the episodes centering The Five are really their strong point and not just because of the great stories, but also because the actors are simply good and they have chemistry. I don't know if it's just their experience or something else, but they play their roles perfectly. I don't feel that with RD, AD and RyRo (although lately he's been getting a lot better now that he gets to play more with JY and AT). For some reason they seem to need the standalone/filler/date/monster of the week episode to flesh out their characters, unlike the others who just... are.

There really haven't been a lot Tesla-, Druitt- or even Watson-centric episodes but you still get the character and you don't need some awful date episode or turning into an abnormal (yes, you Will) episode to flesh them out or give them more background. The actors (AT, JY, CH, PW) simply portray a convincing character that doesn't have to rely on cheesy, monster hunting episodes and yet you want to know them even better, learn more about them. Then you have Will, the one whose life has almost been documented into detail with all his Will-centric episodes and I wasn't interested at all! Probably starting with that episode where he was wearing a hulk suit and one of his old friends was supposedly missing.

I just don't like the Will-character and I never warmed up to Kate, but right now I'll gladly take Kate over Will so he can go down to HE and never be heard from again! I was never very fond of Henry, but he had his good moments, but now that he's getting more screen time I am really enjoying the character. I think I've mentioned this before in some of the episode threats, but since season 4 I really have the idea that Will (and Kate too) brings out the worst in Henry and whenever they're paired up they degenerate to juveniles. RyRo does a lot better when he's paired up with AT or JY, in my opinion.

Oh and I like Declan too, wish we could see more of him, simply because it's a good, solid character and while he might not be very fleshed out it's still enjoyable to have him around and I think the actor does a great job portraying him.

Maybe killing off Will (or reassigning him to HE or the Mumbai Sanctuary or something) in the season finale will help get the ratings up. I know there are a lot of people out there that (for some reason beyond my comprehension) really like Will and think RD's hot or something, but lately the only character I've heard moaning about on the episode threads is Will and maybe Charlotte, because it was so 'controversial'. Oh and let's not forget Abby and Gavin, another two characters that, in my opinion, don't the show any good at all. But that could be down to writing because I actually liked The Thing/EvilAbby and to me it showed that PH can act (and definitely sing) and be something other than a ditsy cheerleading bimbo, but I'm not getting that vibe from RD...

es!
December 9th, 2011, 06:50 AM
Too bad I can't green you, fems. Your post coulda been from me, down to the word.
*virtual green*

ann_sgcfan
December 9th, 2011, 12:24 PM
Will was introduced in the webisodes as a hard working young psychologist that had the respect of the hospital staff. One scene a nurse is telling Helen how much guts Will had in dealing with the dangerous and criminally insane patient. Everyone assumes the patient is guilty, but Will has his doubts. Will had the ability to look beyond the surface, which caught the eye of Helen and in turn brought him into the sanctuary world where normal takes on a whole new meaning.

In the webisodes he ended up helping the kid control the monster inside him, and helped the sister witches stop their killing habits. Unfortunately they moved away from that after the first few episodes on TV.

The show first started with Helen and Ashley as the only field team that investigated, hunted and retrieve the abnormals. Henry was the tech/ weapons expert who stayed in the van or monitored from his lab. Biggie was the loyal assistant that dealt with things on the home front. Will was the one that helped the abnormal come to terms with who they were (more on a personal level) ... Helen studied the abnormality as a scientist (ex: how did their abnormality work)

Now it seems everyone is part of the field team. Will is now 2IC and can use a gun with the best of them. The psychology of the abnormal is no longer important. In fact it's no longer about protecting the abnormals. It's a show about protecting the sanctuary. Sanctuary is now a global organization. Helen, at times, is in charge of the entire organization.

Once it stopped being about helping the abnormals and became a show about capturing abnormals and stopping global threats then a psychologist was no longer needed. They needed a field agent so they turned Will into one. Unfortunately they didn't show any development from psychology to 2IC. It was more or less OK that's the way it is ... accept it.

I don't think the writers thought far enough ahead and the fact that they change writers every season doesn't help... because it's a different show each season. Instead of saying OK this character started here ... we need him/her here by the end of the season to set up what they have planned for next season. Often times DK has said he has no idea how he's going to answer the huge cliff hangers at the end of the season. Which always worries me, because to me that says it's not about the show as a whole it's about how huge and shocking can we make these last two episode and we'll deal with the consequences of what it does to the show later.

Steff
December 9th, 2011, 12:55 PM
Will was introduced in the webisodes as a hard working young psychologist that had the respect of the hospital staff. One scene a nurse is telling Helen how much guts Will had in dealing with the dangerous and criminally insane patient. Everyone assumes the patient is guilty, but Will has his doubts. Will had the ability to look beyond the surface, which caught the eye of Helen and in turn brought him into the sanctuary world where normal takes on a whole new meaning.

In the webisodes he ended up helping the kid control the monster inside him, and helped the sister witches stop their killing habits. Unfortunately they moved away from that after the first few episodes on TV.

The show first started with Helen and Ashley as the only field team that investigated, hunted and retrieve the abnormals. Henry was the tech/ weapons expert who stayed in the van or monitored from his lab. Biggie was the loyal assistant that dealt with things on the home front. Will was the one that helped the abnormal come to terms with who they were (more on a personal level) ... Helen studied the abnormality as a scientist (ex: how did their abnormality work)

Now it seems everyone is part of the field team. Will is now 2IC and can use a gun with the best of them. The psychology of the abnormal is no longer important. In fact it's no longer about protecting the abnormals. It's a show about protecting the sanctuary. Sanctuary is now a global organization. Helen, at times, is in charge of the entire organization.

Once it stopped being about helping the abnormals and became a show about capturing abnormals and stopping global threats then a psychologist was no longer needed. They needed a field agent so they turned Will into one. Unfortunately they didn't show any development from psychology to 2IC. It was more or less OK that's the way it is ... accept it.

I don't think the writers thought far enough ahead and the fact that they change writers every season doesn't help... because it's a different show each season. Instead of saying OK this character started here ... we need him/her here by the end of the season to set up what they have planned for next season. Often times DK has said he has no idea how he's going to answer the huge cliff hangers at the end of the season. Which always worries me, because to me that says it's not about the show as a whole it's about how huge and shocking can we make these last two episode and we'll deal with the consequences of what it does to the show later.

Ann, this is an amazing analysis of how the show has changed from season 1. Seeing the Sanctuary go for the small entity to global is not a part of the show I enjoy. One reason being that they do not use the CGI to show the massive battles that are supposed to be happening around the world. Instead we got the dots on the screen of people we had no attachment to and a few abnormals behind little fences with lot of tents. That did not translate to Global. And I am tired of the overhead teleconferences to show they are talking around the world.

As for Cliffhangers. They where fun when Dallas did it and we only had to wait for a few weeks of summer. But I think the Cliffhangers on a 13 episode season actually isolates new viewers. And old viewers like me don't always like waiting so long. And we forget what we were waiting for.

Steff
December 9th, 2011, 01:07 PM
I finally remembered that show that I see as similar to the transition of the sanctuary going from helping the individual abnormal to "global". Did any of you watch Angel? I stopped watching because it was no longer showing individual rescues. It was about running a company.

majorsal
December 9th, 2011, 02:09 PM
I know there are a lot of people out there that (for some reason beyond my comprehension) really like Will and think RD's hot or something, but lately the only character I've heard moaning about on the episode threads is Will and maybe Charlotte, because it was so 'controversial'. Oh and let's not forget Abby and Gavin, another two characters that, in my opinion, don't the show any good at all. But that could be down to writing because I actually liked The Thing/EvilAbby and to me it showed that PH can act (and definitely sing) and be something other than a ditsy cheerleading bimbo, but I'm not getting that vibe from RD...

(((robin)))

NumberSix
December 9th, 2011, 10:22 PM
Interesting discussion. Since this show is the one I care most about, of course I'm hoping for a season 5. As for whether I believe we'll get a season 5, I flip-flop back and forth. I "think" the ratings aren't horrible, but they aren't great either. We can only speculate on whether the show would get another season for the main reason of syndication. IMO SyFy would also have to believe they'd make a profit on season 5 itself, but I am in no way an expert of these things, which is why I like to read everyone's posts because some of you are more knowledgeable than me in this.

I've liked The Five since we first met them, and wish they could do more episodes that revolve around them. There are a lot of potential stories there that would be much more interesting than Will and Abby's dates gone wrong. But perhaps we don't see more of The Five because the actors involved aren't as available or it costs more to have them. Or maybe TPTB just don't want to do that many episodes set in the past.

ann_sgcfan made a good point about the writers. Some are simply better at it, and at times I think the show suffers from changing writers so much. There's been more inconsistency with the quality of writing, especially seasons 3 & 4, IMO. So we get some really great eps, but also some duds. I liked the hollow earth arc last season, and I like the idea of an ongoing story because that's more how life is, but the eps dealing with hollow earth don't seem as exciting this year. Stand-alones are fine if they're well written.

I guess I'd have to say I'm preparing for it to get cancelled, but I haven't given up hope yet and I think it still has a chance if the ratings stay decent the rest of the season. Like others have said, if we get a S5 I wouldn't be surprised if it was the last season, or they do something like they did with Eureka. I know it will end sometime, I just hope when it does we get a real ending (though not with killing everyone off, or even killing people's favorites off). I just don't want to be left with a cliffhanger and then have it get cancelled.

Abnormal
December 10th, 2011, 01:54 AM
Yep I was quite disappointed with the whole Hollow Earth story arc. When they discovered the virtual city in the library and then the actual city in Pax Romana I was like : wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww !!!!!! But then I felt like it was wrapped up in 5 seconds and they moved on to something else... I think it had potential and I wish it had been developed more.

But I also think that we have to get used to seeing Hollow Earth / The Five and our favourite actors less and less because of budget issues. If we get a season 5, that would probably be with just a few regular characters and more standalones, because that would be cheaper.

And I agree with what you said about Will (and we can add Abby and her colleague to the list). They are just stupid and unbearable. If I were not a fan of the show and just wanted to give it a shot I would probably not try again to watch it because of the new characters (+ Will who's been SO disappointing!).

Still, I think standalones are better for the ratings (if they're good, of course...) but I prefer story arcs. Unfortunately, at that point - after 4 season and especially after all the poor episodes of the 2nd half of Season 3 - I don't see how the show could recover.

Abnormal
December 10th, 2011, 01:56 AM
I just don't want to be left with a cliffhanger and then have it get cancelled.

About that.... I'm still hoping Syfy would give them like 2 episodes to wrap things up like they did for Eureka.

siles
December 10th, 2011, 11:44 AM
prediction Acolyte ratings 1000000 0.4

Steff
December 10th, 2011, 07:29 PM
About that.... I'm still hoping Syfy would give them like 2 episodes to wrap things up like they did for Eureka.

Me too. Sky said at the end of this season they will be at 59 episodes. Maybe they will get an English 6 episode season. (65)

Abnormal
December 10th, 2011, 10:09 PM
Yeah.... You know, it's weird because I do not think we have the slightest chance to get a 5th season honestly (and when I try to find positive things it's actually just because I still wanna hope for a renewal) BUT I also don't think Syfy would let the show go without a proper ending... I try to hold on to this hypothesis.

es!
December 11th, 2011, 10:52 AM
I don't think networks give a rat's ass about shows' "proper endings". SGU was cancelled just like that. Other shows were cancelled just like that *shrugs*
I still hope Syfy will let them wrap everything up in order to sell it at some point.

MasySyma
December 11th, 2011, 02:24 PM
I am unhappy with the quality of the show this season, but I hope the show gets renewed. I want them to get season 5 and end it.

Personally, (and I realize that what I will say will be very unpopular), I would like to see the rest of the Five dead by the end of the show. Their story is what drives the show, so it should end when their stories do. I realize that I'm advocating killing by favorite, Tesla, and my other favorite, Druitt, but to me, the only time Sanctuary shines is when it involves the Five.

fems
December 11th, 2011, 03:05 PM
I am unhappy with the quality of the show this season, but I hope the show gets renewed. I want them to get season 5 and end it.

Personally, (and I realize that what I will say will be very unpopular), I would like to see the rest of the Five dead by the end of the show. Their story is what drives the show, so it should end when their stories do. I realize that I'm advocating killing by favorite, Tesla, and my other favorite, Druitt, but to me, the only time Sanctuary shines is when it involves the Five.

But Tesla is immortal (now that he's been revamped)... :P

lordofseas
December 11th, 2011, 09:01 PM
But Tesla is immortal (now that he's been revamped)... :P

Or is he? Dun dun duuuuuuuuuun.

Altariel
December 11th, 2011, 09:47 PM
I don´t like it when series end with the deaths of the main characters, in this case Magnus and for me Tesla, cause then the series really ended and there is no opportunity for a movie for example and it would be too depressign for my taste and imagine how sad it would be for magnus, she lifed 113 years again and then, when future for her began it already ended, so she lifed 113 years for nothing to life only a few years in the future? I think her life sort of began when she took younger Helens place, for the life she had in those years was hardly a life maybe if she always was afraid to affect teh timeline. They would be really cruel to do that.

The only way I would accept their death (maybe) is when the series finale would take place 100 years in the future and them being a couple for 100 years or so:p Or maybe better 200 years. Do you think Magnus wants to die soon? After those extra years? *wonders*

es!
December 12th, 2011, 12:00 AM
I think Sanctuary is too light a show to kill off their main cast in the finale. Altho I see the point of doing so. (And I definitely loved the finale of Forever Knight where everybody died because it was the only finale that would make sense for that show.)

What do you think, could Sanctuary go back to webisodes (to give the show a couple of eps to wrap things up) in case it is cancelled?

kes
December 12th, 2011, 12:37 AM
I think Sanctuary is too light a show to kill off their main cast in the finale. Altho I see the point of doing so. (And I definitely loved the finale of Forever Knight where everybody died because it was the only finale that would make sense for that show.)

What do you think, could Sanctuary go back to webisodes (to give the show a couple of eps to wrap things up) in case it is cancelled?

All they need is the funding to do it. I see Syfy and the other networks, buying them if they get made.

es!
December 12th, 2011, 12:43 AM
All they need is the funding to do it. I see Syfy and the other networks, buying them if they get made.

Webisodes are way cheaper to make, right? Where did the funding for the original webisodes come from?

But... I mean, what is the point for Syfy to cancel the show 2 eps shy of its "proper" end, let them bring the last web eps online, and buy them later? :S Gah, I really hope it won't come down to that.

kes
December 12th, 2011, 01:20 AM
Webisodes are way cheaper to make, right? Where did the funding for the original webisodes come from?

But... I mean, what is the point for Syfy to cancel the show 2 eps shy of its "proper" end, let them bring the last web eps online, and buy them later? :S Gah, I really hope it won't come down to that.

Well Syfy buys the eps to air. Even if they cancel if the MAD team can get the funding they can still make the show. So if they make just 1 or 2 eps to close the story, like a movie, I can see Syfy buying that.

The original webis were payed by the MAD team.

es!
December 12th, 2011, 01:43 AM
The original webis were payed by the MAD team.
*faints*
Like, out of their own pockets? :eek: Quite a costly hobby!
*faints again*

kes
December 12th, 2011, 02:07 AM
*faints*
Like, out of their own pockets? :eek: Quite a costly hobby!
*faints again*

From what I remember, yes.

Skydiver
December 12th, 2011, 02:57 AM
MAD covered the production costs, if not all, then most. the downside to them, they did prove that while studio free productions can happen, they are not profitable ventures. Despite many fans being beyond respectful, other viewers weren't and the webbies were pirated all over the place. To a certain extent, I dont' think MAD minded too much in this case, more exposure is more exposure. and there is no press better than 'this is so good this many thousands of people watched it'. However, for something like this to last, it has to turn a profit. and it wasn't.

So while they did prove that a web only series can work, they also showed that - due to piracy and file sharing - it's very, very hard to actually sell enough to pay for it.

Skiffy might give them a movie, might not. Depends on the money involved. Skiffy ain't gonna do a thing if there's not a profit in it. just like any other network.

kes
December 12th, 2011, 09:00 AM
MAD covered the production costs, if not all, then most. the downside to them, they did prove that while studio free productions can happen, they are not profitable ventures. Despite many fans being beyond respectful, other viewers weren't and the webbies were pirated all over the place. To a certain extent, I dont' think MAD minded too much in this case, more exposure is more exposure. and there is no press better than 'this is so good this many thousands of people watched it'. However, for something like this to last, it has to turn a profit. and it wasn't.

So while they did prove that a web only series can work, they also showed that - due to piracy and file sharing - it's very, very hard to actually sell enough to pay for it.

Skiffy might give them a movie, might not. Depends on the money involved. Skiffy ain't gonna do a thing if there's not a profit in it. just like any other network.

Paying to air a movie (and considering what @Syfy said about canceled shows going up in rating for the last few eps) I dont doubt that they'd do it.

NumberSix
December 12th, 2011, 12:07 PM

I see absolutely no reason why The Five should all die at the end. All it would do is end the series with an extreme downer and probably make a lot of loyal fans unhappy.

majorsal
December 12th, 2011, 01:03 PM
acolyte got: 1.505, with 0.4

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/12/12/friday-cable-ratings-gold-rush-wins-again-smackdown-sanctuary-for-better-or-worse-more/113483/

it went up. :D

majorsal
December 12th, 2011, 01:06 PM
I see absolutely no reason why The Five should all die at the end. All it would do is end the series with an extreme downer and probably make a lot of loyal fans unhappy.

i'd hate that ending too! :(

(i've never watched another ep of 'xena' since they killed her off. dumb, dumb, and did i mention dumb move? :p)

blueray
December 12th, 2011, 03:34 PM

i've been wonder that too. it would be work, since the actors have experience with it and should willing to do it again.

i hope it gets renewed not sure how the rating are comparing to other shows.

Belladonna
December 12th, 2011, 03:44 PM
I was devastated when everyone but the head vamp died in the finale. It might have made sense to the writers to end the series that way but as a fan I felt completely jipped. All that time invested in watching the show only to have it end that way sucked big time. I sure hope Sanctuary doesn't go that route.

Skydiver
December 12th, 2011, 04:13 PM
I hated the forever knight ending too.

atlantis_babe34
December 12th, 2011, 04:36 PM
I dunno if its just me, but i feel that this season is lacking the spark that the other seasons had, not alot of arc's, which with 13-14 episodes is a hard thing to do, but still.. i'm not to sure that there will be a 5th season and if there is i think that will be the end of it.

majorsal
December 12th, 2011, 07:03 PM
I was devastated when everyone but the head vamp died in the finale. It might have made sense to the writers to end the series that way but as a fan I felt completely jipped. All that time invested in watching the show only to have it end that way sucked big time. I sure hope Sanctuary doesn't go that route.

I hated the forever knight ending too.

if i'm remembering right, that ep wasn't supposed to be the series finale, but just a season one. then they were canceled. :S :p

Abnormal
December 12th, 2011, 08:38 PM
acolyte got: 1.505, with 0.4

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/12/12/friday-cable-ratings-gold-rush-wins-again-smackdown-sanctuary-for-better-or-worse-more/113483/

it went up. :D

OMG I didn't see that coming! I'm speechless!...

majorsal
December 12th, 2011, 08:42 PM

yes, it was great news! :)

there really doesn't seem to be rhyme or reason to these ratings, in that they don't seem to be reflective of the episodes themselves. :p

Abnormal
December 12th, 2011, 08:43 PM

there really doesn't seem to be rhyme or reason to these ratings, in that they don't seem to be reflective of the episodes themselves. :p

Seriously, the show's stability keeps surprising me. It always rebounds after consecutive weeks of low numbers when you no longer expect it. Phew!

majorsal
December 12th, 2011, 08:46 PM
Seriously, the show's stability keeps surprising me. It always rebounds after consecutive weeks of low numbers when you no longer expect it. Phew!

i know! :p it's like you can't even do guess-work on the ratings. :p

Abnormal
December 12th, 2011, 08:48 PM

Yep. It wtill worries me that the ratings have been so low for a few weeks. I hope it's not too late! Maybe if it remains stable next week it will give Syfy hope for good ratings next season! What do you think?

majorsal
December 12th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Yep. It wtill worries me that the ratings have been so low for a few weeks. I hope it's not too late! Maybe if it remains stable next week it will give Syfy hope for good ratings next season! What do you think?

i have no idea!! :p

but i hope syfy's looking at it as 'you're doing good enough, so you'll get at least one more season to finish things up, if need be.'

of course, they wouldn't say it that way. :p

Abnormal
December 12th, 2011, 08:56 PM
No, the director would say "If you do good enough for me to go to the restaurant every day next season, then you deserve to be renewed" :lol:

NumberSix
December 13th, 2011, 08:53 AM

I know. I still can't help feeling bad about Chimera's low ratings, even though I blame it on the decision to air it on Tuesday. It was such a good episode. Arrrrrrrrr.... but anyway I'm glad to see Acolyte's ratings went up and hopefully the remaining eps will do just as well if not better.

Abnormal
December 13th, 2011, 09:23 AM
I know. I still can't help feeling bad about Chimera's low ratings, even though I blame it on the decision to air it on Tuesday. It was such a good episode. Arrrrrrrrr.... but anyway I'm glad to see Acolyte's ratings went up and hopefully the remaining eps will do just as well if not better.

Absolutely! But as I told Majorsal earlier, even though Acolyte was not as good as Chimera, it was still much better than the few episodes which aired before Chimera, so I'm glad people gave it a shot when Acolyte was aired, and not Fugue or Icebreaker. I hope new viewers (if there were any) liked the episode as much as I did and will be there next Friday. I'm pretty sure if the ratings stabilized next week it could be enough for a renewal.

Fingers crossed

es!
December 13th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Forever Knight OT:

Took me a lot of emotions and thoughts and religious guidance, but the finale totally made sense for me in the end :)

majorsal,
the show was cancelled twice! lol
We are talking about the very last show finale, after season 3.

I love it. There are so many factors that influence an ep's ratings, it's so exciting to think them thru. No chance to guess anything of course, but I think we could explain much of the ratings' volatility after the fact, like thru external factors (day of week, other shows etc.) or the quality of the previous ep (which is of course hard to determine because tastes differ) :)

majorsal
December 13th, 2011, 01:34 PM
I love it. There are so many factors that influence an ep's ratings, it's so exciting to think them thru. No chance to guess anything of course, but I think we could explain much of the ratings' volatility after the fact, like thru external factors (day of week, other shows etc.) or the quality of the previous ep (which is of course hard to determine because tastes differ) :)

i wish sometimes, though, that a specific ep's rating *did* reflect the episode! like, 'breach', which, for me, should have been a 10 billion viewers, with a 50.5 adults 18-45 thinger. :p

Rocky89
December 13th, 2011, 01:42 PM

To be honest, and I've said this before, I did not expect such a big uptick. :D I was expecting at the highest, a 1.3, but to get this... I'm grinning as I type this. :p Last night was a proud time for me, and this is what I expect from Sanctuary, because they've had higher ratings, and... this is how I always want it. :)

Absolutely! But as I told Majorsal earlier, even though Acolyte was not as good as Chimera, it was still much better than the few episodes which aired before Chimera, so I'm glad people gave it a shot when Acolyte was aired, and not Fugue or Icebreaker. I hope new viewers (if there were any) liked the episode as much as I did and will be there next Friday. I'm pretty sure if the ratings stabilized next week it could be enough for a renewal.

Fingers crossed

@NumberSix If you take into account it aired on Tues with not a lot of promotion, it has a lot of bigger shows on that night, and that it was short notice, it did surprsigly well. I really believe that if Chimera aired on Fri (the way it should have) it would have been a good rated episode.

@Abnormal Another thing makes me so proud is that, after the totally, completely and UNNECESSARY controversy about Monsoon and how some fans felt about Fugue, I read something from someone on another board saying that the show could have bruised it's ratings a lot, and they actually expected another drop this week. And I'll admit (and this is ME saying this) I was worried, and I was getting down from it all, but to see the show get a season high, and not just a season high, but ratings that we used to see, THIS is the Sanctuary I know. :) By that I mean, for it to rebound like that, after not so great ratings, it proves that it still has fans coming, and that Monsoon and Fugue didn't hurt the show. :)

Though, I can't see why eps like Monsoon and Fugue would hurt the show. :rolleyes:

:p

Skydiver
December 13th, 2011, 04:24 PM
Are we seriously going to keep up with these snide comments and dissing of other fans???? Honestly?

What happened to kindness and respect? Instead of respecting peoples' rights to be upset and unhappy we're going to take digs at them, taking the low road to make ourselves feel superior and righteous and oh so super duper fan, cutting down others to make ourselves 'look' and feel more better and prove what a 'true fan' we are?????

Bah humbug.

Now, I'm putting my mod hat on...the topic is a person's feelings on whether or not there will be a season five. It is NOT, i repeat NOT open season on other fans. You'll notice that the topic is not 'my opinions on others opinions'

Briangate78
December 13th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Well, one thing a network looks at is how steady a show is in ratings. Sanctuary has been pretty steady all season, even when they were moved to Tuesday for one night they still maintained a 0.4 18-49 demo, and even had a couple of 0.5's this season. I've always said, that I think 1.5 Million viewers on a live+SD basis should be enough to get a show like "Sanctuary" renewed, but I am not going to blow smoke up anyone's....um well you know what, but it all really depends on how much "Sanctuary" is costing the network. If they can have a budget to make Season 5, that still makes a profit for the network based on their ratings, well they could renew the show.

5 Seasons seems to be the life span for most shows on Syfy. So we shall see what happens. I do think we will know before the new year Sanctuary's fate.

My opinion, I think it will be renewed for one final season, with a reduced episode order.

Abnormal
December 13th, 2011, 04:42 PM
My opinion, I think it will be renewed for one final season, with a reduced episode order.

I'd like that, and it would be quite coherent (though I can understand why they would cancel it as well) but my only hope then would be that they don't renew the show for less than 10 episodes...

majorsal
December 13th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Well, one thing a network looks at is how steady a show is in ratings. Sanctuary has been pretty steady all season, even when they were moved to Tuesday for one night they still maintained a 0.4 18-49 demo, and even had a couple of 0.5's this season. I've always said, that I think 1.5 Million viewers on a live+SD basis should be enough to get a show like "Sanctuary" renewed, but I am not going to blow smoke up anyone's....um well you know what, but it all really depends on how much "Sanctuary" is costing the network. If they can have a budget to make Season 5, that still makes a profit for the network based on their ratings, well they could renew the show.

5 Seasons seems to be the life span for most shows on Syfy. So we shall see what happens. I do think we will know before the new year Sanctuary's fate.

yay, and :danielanime07:

i hope it'll get a 13 ep order, but i'll be happy for *any* new sanctuary stuff. :)

thanks, brian. :)

Abnormal
December 13th, 2011, 04:48 PM
yay, and :danielanime07:

i hope it'll get a 13 ep order, but i'll be happy for *any* new sanctuary stuff. :)

thanks, brian. :)

Will you please stop repeating what I say? :lol:

majorsal
December 13th, 2011, 04:58 PM
Will you please stop repeating what I say? :lol:

:p

*tries to think of something to say*

i bet the sanct ptb were :D when they saw the ratings! :p

(:rolleyes: @ obvious observation)

Rocky89
December 13th, 2011, 05:10 PM

Good insights, Brian, well done. ;) Though, I read your last sentance, and I think back to my meeting with WHR. They said that 13 is, like the max number of episodes, and they told me that if they get a S5, it won't be 20 eps, but most likely 13. :)

I remember how I was when the show got 13 for S4, and I don't know how I'd be with a lesser episode order than that. :p

Oh, and in other news-

Once Upon a Time drops again, Sanctuary jumps and 13 other shows (http://blastr.com/2011/12/once-upon-a-time-drops-ag.php?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

"This week, Once Upon a Time continued its alarming downward slide, while Chuck picked up a few viewers and Sanctuary got a very encouraging numbers spike."

"Sanctuary finally got a numbers jump this week with the highest viewership of its season so far. The rating score stayed the same, but at least the numbers tell a story that might end with an encouraging season finale."

:)

Skydiver
December 13th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Honestly, I think Sanctuary does better with 13 episodes. 20 is just too much work for the staff they have, too much for the effects they have.
I think the show stands a pretty good chance. At least 50/50. I don't think it's a shoe in. But I also think it'd be doing better were it in the summer, when it's not competing against mainstream shows like Blue bloods and others.
Sept - nov is a killer time because most network shows are new. A show like Sanctuary thrives in re-run time.

Rocky89
December 13th, 2011, 05:38 PM
Honestly, I think Sanctuary does better with 13 episodes. 20 is just too much work for the staff they have, too much for the effects they have.
I think the show stands a pretty good chance. At least 50/50. I don't think it's a shoe in. But I also think it'd be doing better were it in the summer, when it's not competing against mainstream shows like Blue bloods and others.
Sept - nov is a killer time because most network shows are new. A show like Sanctuary thrives in re-run time.

Having seen S4, I think 13 eps fits the show better, and Amanda herself said that she feels they delivered 13 solid episodes. :)

As for the bold, I agree. If you look at the ratings for Eureka, W13 and Haven-- I was surprised at how low they were. Those shows air in the Summer, not the fall, and I think that if they aired in the fall like Sanctuary, we'd see similar numbers for them as we do for Sanc. I mean, there's, like, no competition in the summer with most shows being re-runs, and if you look at the ratings for S3.5, they started going up near the end of the season, and I think it's because it was getting closer to summer time, and the shows were going away.

Eureka, W13 and Haven have it easy in the summer, and again, I'd like to see how they'd do in the fall where the big shows come out to play. :p I think/hope things will be easier for Sanc now that shows are going on re-runs. :)

Steff
December 13th, 2011, 07:05 PM

The thing about filming for a show that is shown in the Summer. It is Cold in Canada. So if you want to have Hiatus during the winter then you become a Fall or January show. Both times of the year aren't as easy as Summer Re-run Season.

Skydiver
December 14th, 2011, 02:57 AM
True, it is cold. but their outside tapings are at a minimum. They're not like SG1 that would spend whole weeks outside and on location.

not to say it doesn't have an effect of course, but most of their stuff is done in the studio and the green screen or their standing sets

NumberSix
December 14th, 2011, 08:03 AM
Having seen S4, I think 13 eps fits the show better, and Amanda herself said that she feels they delivered 13 solid episodes. :)

As for the bold, I agree. If you look at the ratings for Eureka, W13 and Haven-- I was surprised at how low they were. Those shows air in the Summer, not the fall, and I think that if they aired in the fall like Sanctuary, we'd see similar numbers for them as we do for Sanc. I mean, there's, like, no competition in the summer with most shows being re-runs, and if you look at the ratings for S3.5, they started going up near the end of the season, and I think it's because it was getting closer to summer time, and the shows were going away.

Eureka, W13 and Haven have it easy in the summer, and again, I'd like to see how they'd do in the fall where the big shows come out to play. :p I think/hope things will be easier for Sanc now that shows are going on re-runs. :)

My thoughts exactly. I think it's unfair to compare Sanctuary's ratings with SyFy's summer shows. The competition just isn't the same.

Briangate78: Well, one thing a network looks at is how steady a show is in ratings. Sanctuary has been pretty steady all season, even when they were moved to Tuesday for one night they still maintained a 0.4 18-49 demo, and even had a couple of 0.5's this season......(snipped) ....My opinion, I think it will be renewed for one final season, with a reduced episode order.

That's encouraging.
Renewal = :) . Reduced episodes = :mckay: IF it's to be the last season I'd really like 13 episodes (which really isn't that many for a full year) and a proper send-off.

Abnormal: Absolutely! But as I told Majorsal earlier, even though Acolyte was not as good as Chimera, it was still much better than the few episodes which aired before Chimera, so I'm glad people gave it a shot when Acolyte was aired, and not Fugue or Icebreaker. I hope new viewers (if there were any) liked the episode as much as I did and will be there next Friday. I'm pretty sure if the ratings stabilized next week it could be enough for a renewal.

Yeah, it's a good one to possibly get more casual viewers interested enough to give it another try.

Rocky89: If you take into account it aired on Tues with not a lot of promotion, it has a lot of bigger shows on that night, and that it was short notice, it did surprsigly well. I really believe that if Chimera aired on Fri (the way it should have) it would have been a good rated episode.

I think the ratings could have been quite good in its usual Friday slot if a lot of people hadn't already seen it on Tuesday. I just remember the ratings (I think RoX posted them in the ratings thread) for SyFy's Tuesday Christmas shows by comparison and that makes me feel better. ;) Does it do any good to add Tuesday's and Friday's ratings together? LOL.

blueray
December 14th, 2011, 09:26 AM
yeah i wonder how many people were lost because of that. i know i watched it tuesday and rewatched the beginning friday but ended up doing something else.

charles582
December 14th, 2011, 04:49 PM
This is off the subject, but if they did give Will a cool abnormal power permanetly. Would that take away from his character?

Skydiver
December 14th, 2011, 05:38 PM
will needs to stay normal. we need to have at least one 'human' around hte place

ann_sgcfan
December 14th, 2011, 06:10 PM
This is off the subject, but if they did give Will a cool abnormal power permanetly. Would that take away from his character?

I used to think he needed to stay human, but now I don't really see why he would need too. His specialty in psychiatry is no longer used. He's in the field or dealing with the world domination events more than treating abnormals. So now I'm of the opinion - yes give the man some type of permanent power ... something that would give him a more interesting story arc.

In the beginning he was the new guy, the human, viewers were supposed to relate to as we learned about the sanctuary world ... but that's no longer the case and now that we are in s4 no longer necessary.

fems
December 15th, 2011, 04:39 AM
I agree with Skydiver; Will needs to stay normal.

He's already trying way too hard to be cool and be one of the gang, so him getting a 'power' would be over the top. Plus I don't think he deserves one. We know how The Five got their powers and they were (mostly) smart enough to handle them and they knew what they were doing etc; Biggie has always been a Bigfoot and we know he's had his fair share of problems in the real world; Henry has had a difficult childhood (abandoned and taken in by Magnus) and basically struggled with the possibility of changing while growing up and has now finally accepted who he is.

It would be very cheap to just hand Will a power to make him an abnormal too, especially after all the times he's temporarily been abnormal. Not to mention that it would mean giving him more screen time to show how he's dealing with it and hearing more whining and complaining from him...

There's a good chance I'd be completely turned off Sanctuary if they go down that road.

blueray
December 15th, 2011, 05:50 AM

to me its not so much an abnormal power, but it would be cool if they bring back his psychology thing from earlier seasons (and he'll be like the guy in the mentalist).

ann_sgcfan
December 15th, 2011, 07:05 AM
to me its not so much an abnormal power, but it would be cool if they bring back his psychology thing from earlier seasons (and he'll be like the guy in the mentalist).

Yes I would like to see that.

ann_sgcfan
December 15th, 2011, 07:15 AM
I agree with Skydiver; Will needs to stay normal.

He's already trying way too hard to be cool and be one of the gang, so him getting a 'power' would be over the top. Plus I don't think he deserves one. We know how The Five got their powers and they were (mostly) smart enough to handle them and they knew what they were doing etc; Biggie has always been a Bigfoot and we know he's had his fair share of problems in the real world; Henry has had a difficult childhood (abandoned and taken in by Magnus) and basically struggled with the possibility of changing while growing up and has now finally accepted who he is.

It would be very cheap to just hand Will a power to make him an abnormal too, especially after all the times he's temporarily been abnormal. Not to mention that it would mean giving him more screen time to show how he's dealing with it and hearing more whining and complaining from him...

There's a good chance I'd be completely turned off Sanctuary if they go down that road.

Actually the Five didn't have a clue what they were doing. They had no idea what the side effects would be, or even if there would be side effects. (One scene of a very concerned/ worried John not wanting Helen to take the risk of the injection comes to mind in a series of flashbacks about that night) ...They injected the source blood and waited to see the results ...

fems
December 15th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Actually the Five didn't have a clue what they were doing. They had no idea what the side effects would be, or even if there would be side effects. (One scene of a very concerned/ worried John not wanting Helen to take the risk of the injection comes to mind in a series of flashbacks about that night) ...They injected the source blood and waited to see the results ...

I meant along the lines of them having knowledge of Vampires and other Abnormals. Plus they were all very smart and had done their research, even if the consequences of the injections were unclear they at least knew something might change and you know, it wouldn't just kill them or something.

Abnormal
December 15th, 2011, 09:16 AM

Yes I liked how he tried to understand and reassure abnormals in the first season. We're SO far from that now...

Abnormal
December 15th, 2011, 09:18 AM
I'm kinda worried about the ratings for tomorrow's episode... I think after the impressive uptick of last week another low audience may mean the end of the show... What do you think?

Abnormal
December 15th, 2011, 09:21 AM
Also, I think the few last episodes will be great and breathtaking, so I'd like the ratings to be representative of the quality of these episodes (I've got high expectations) and I'd probably be very disappointed and frustrated if they were not too good...

blueray
December 15th, 2011, 01:54 PM

it would be cool to get a flashback episode on what happened right after and when they realized the effects.

as for the ratings tomorrow hopefully it'll do good. especially if shows are starting to go into repeats.

Rocky89
December 15th, 2011, 02:35 PM
as for the ratings tomorrow hopefully it'll do good. especially if shows are starting to go into repeats.

Speaking of which, for those in the Western area or whatever y'all call it, how many shows are starting to go on repeats now on Fri nights? :)

If Eureka, W13, and Alphas get a free ride, so should Sanctuary. ;) :p

siles
December 15th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Speaking of which, for those in the Western area or whatever y'all call it, how many shows are starting to go on repeats now on Fri nights? :)

If Eureka, W13, and Alphas get a free ride, so should Sanctuary. ;) :p

Syfy doesn't get a cent out of Sanctuary DVD sales so it's a different matter than Eureka , W13 and Alphas.
I think season 5 will be the last

Steff
December 15th, 2011, 05:58 PM
I'm kinda worried about the ratings for tomorrow's episode... I think after the impressive uptick of last week another low audience may mean the end of the show... What do you think?

Ab. I agree that after last weeks higher total number that returning to the previous lows would place me back into the opinion that renewal is not likely. But for the first time this year I am hopeful and looking forward to the renewal actually happening.

Also, I think the few last episodes will be great and breathtaking, so I'd like the ratings to be representative of the quality of these episodes (I've got high expectations) and I'd probably be very disappointed and frustrated if they were not too good...

Blueray, it is great that other shows are going into reruns. That provides a new audience along with the wonderful holiday numbers we saw on Friday. Not only is it one of the only new shows airing but Sanctuary is coming with the big guns. Oh yeah Ab. I think the last episodes are going to be amazing.

Woohoo for the upcoming episodes. Woohoo for Syfy to see thae opportunity to show Sanctuary's end of the season during a lesser competitive environment and not disrupt the usual Friday nights. :D

majorsal
December 15th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Oh yeah Ab. I think the last episodes are going to be amazing.

i think so too. i'm very excited! :p

my prediction for 'the depths'

majorsal - 1.41/0.5

Steff
December 15th, 2011, 06:05 PM
i think so too. i'm very excited! :p

my prediction for 'the depths'

majorsal - 1.41/0.5

I think they are going to be high again.

majorsal - 1.41/0.5
Steff - 1.52/0.5

majorsal
December 15th, 2011, 06:20 PM
I think they are going to be high again.

majorsal - 1.41/0.5
Steff - 1.52/0.5

i didn't mean to make that a 0.5 :p

majorsal - 1.41/0.4
Steff - 1.52/0.5

Abnormal
December 15th, 2011, 07:53 PM
i didn't mean to make that a 0.5 :p

majorsal - 1.41/0.4
Steff - 1.52/0.5

@Maj: have you been drinking? I must have a bad influence... :D

majorsal - 1.41/0.4
Steff - 1.52/0.5
Abn - 1.45/05 :o

I hope it stays at 0.4% and above 1.300.000...

Steff
December 15th, 2011, 08:04 PM
@Maj: have you been drinking? I must have a bad influence... :D

majorsal - 1.41/0.4
Steff - 1.52/0.5
Abn - 1.45/05 :o

I hope it stays at 0.4% and above 1.300.000...

Me too. I haven't had a good feeling this year but I'm in a holiday watch lots of tv mood. The days are the shortest and the television calls me from the darkness of outdoors.

siles
December 15th, 2011, 11:15 PM
prediction for Depths
1.3 mil viewers 0.4

es!
December 16th, 2011, 02:22 AM
I chime in with 1.34 and 0.4 :)

majorsal - 1.41/0.4
Steff - 1.52/0.5
Abn - 1.45/0.5
siles - 1.3/0.4
es - 1.34/0.4

Steff
December 16th, 2011, 05:40 PM
20 minutes till "The Depths". Everyone remember what Amanda says about not "stealing" by other ways on the internet.

WATCH LEGAL.

Sales of Sanctuary Worldwide depends on this.

dipsofjazz
December 17th, 2011, 12:18 PM
20 minutes till "The Depths". Everyone remember what Amanda says about not "stealing" by other ways on the internet.

WATCH LEGAL.

Sales of Sanctuary Worldwide depends on this.
:rolleyes: Said by someone that lives in the US, and doesn't have to wait months for new episodes.

Skydiver
December 17th, 2011, 12:54 PM
well, no offense to the 'foreigners' but do what you want ;)

cause the only ratings that will keep the show on the air is US ones. canadian and international sales will HELP, but what'll keep skiffy's pocketbook open is people watching skiffy

so yeah, maybe a good phrase is 'watch it live when it airs for you'...and those of you that bend the space time continuum by watching it before it airs legally.....just please watch it when it DOES air

dipsofjazz
December 17th, 2011, 01:16 PM
well, no offense to the 'foreigners' but do what you want ;)

cause the only ratings that will keep the show on the air is US ones. canadian and international sales will HELP, but what'll keep skiffy's pocketbook open is people watching skiffy

so yeah, maybe a good phrase is 'watch it live when it airs for you'...and those of you that bend the space time continuum by watching it before it airs legally.....just please watch it when it DOES air
:D That's a much better way to phrase it.

I always watch it when it's on tv.

Altariel
December 17th, 2011, 01:41 PM
In Germany it´s not even aired, not season 1, nothing:mad: So I´m happy I can watch it in YouTube. Is YouTube legal or ilegal?

blueray
December 17th, 2011, 01:46 PM
i do my best to watch it on tv, and i'm glad that they repeat it at 12 because that makes it a lot easier to do.

i want to say illegal, though i've done that too...

Bagpuss
December 17th, 2011, 02:21 PM
YT is not a legal source for episodes.If it were,they wouldn't take down so many episodes of Sanctuary and other shows .

Simple logic ,and all non licensed sites are in the same situation.

Only sites like ITunes,Amazon ,Hulu are okay ,unless other sites can prove they pay the production companies for the right to broadcast the show.

Some sites fall into grey areas.If you ( general you ) aren't sure if that applies,ask a Mod to check with Sky and Darren ,or contact them direct in pm/e-mail.

Also don't ask publicly anywhere on GW where to find eps.Don't tell where you got 'em.

Do NOT post info re unlicenced and unauthorised sites where copyrighted episodes may be available.

Check the FAQ :Forum basics

Episode downloads. Do not use GateWorld to request, trade, or advertise illegal downloads of copyrighted films or television programs, including Stargate. Keep any such conversations in private e-mail -- no exceptions.
( Streaming ,torrents,YT whatever.Same rule applies.)

Skydiver
December 17th, 2011, 06:28 PM
What Baggie said. If you bend the space time continuum and watch it via 'alternative means'.....don't tell us HOW you see it.

If you want to help the show, always watch it live when it airs for you. If you have a dvr and have to record it then do your best to watch it within a couple of days.

Steff
December 18th, 2011, 05:42 PM
I think that Amanda got her point across... "So you can steal a show for free..." If people want to rephrase what she says that is up to you.

Watching in US/Syfy ratings.... but the reduction of world audience by people watching by other means does directly affect Sanctuary's ability to sale their product to other countries.

Dinoman
December 18th, 2011, 11:19 PM
It's pity that many good shows like Sanctuary do not air here, :( and virtually all legal sites such as Hulu, Amazon even iTunes are all restricted to stream videos only in the US. We do have Syfy Universal here but they do not air Sanctuary on a regular basis. As much as I wish to support the show I have no 'legal' way to do so.

Skydiver
December 19th, 2011, 02:52 AM
Let's get back closer to the topic huh?

Let's just leave it that, if there is a way to watch it legally, please do so. If you bend the space time continuum to get an earlier showing, still make an effort to watch it legally, when it counts for the ratings for wherever you are.

This shouldn't be a debate on the legality of downloads or for taking people to task for downloading. we don't want to veer too far off onto that tangent.

Inquisitor
December 19th, 2011, 03:32 AM
Where did Amanda discuss bending the space time continuum (except in sg-1 and Carentan :P)?

I think the solution is simple. We must rig the Nielsen rating system to boost Sanctuary's ratings.

Would online providers support the show, though? I would have thought Syfy only cared about who watched their channel.

Skydiver
December 19th, 2011, 03:48 AM
They do. Skiffy only directly gets money from the ads they sell during the show.

Now Sanctuary itself may get money from syndie rights and international airings, but I'm not sure if it's the show itself or the studio or how it works. Skiffy may also get a portion of that revenue since they are paying for part of the show's production costs. So they may care about international ratings simply because the higher they are the more money the show makes and the larger their share. Obviously their funding scheme has never exactly been open to the public.

However, their main concern is the ads and money they directly get, any income from the selling of the show to other markets is just a return on an investment.

xgfan
December 19th, 2011, 04:39 AM
Where did Amanda discuss bending the space time continuum (except in sg-1 and Carentan :P)?
At Armaggedon Expo VIP panel http://youtu.be/kUZ9S3zc6x8?t=3m28s
And at one of the other panels she asked about Monsoon (asking who had already seen it and the opinion about the ending) even though it had just aired a few hours prior to the panel in the US. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUE8Pn-aYaY Also I think she talked again about "intraweb" in one of the other panels but right now I can't find where... Maybe not Armaggedon but DragonCon?
She seemed quite fascinated by that discovery :D

Abnormal
December 19th, 2011, 07:18 AM
Syfy has just renewed Paranormal Witness. I know it's not a drama so it has nothing to do with Sanctuary but... Does that mean Syfy is making decisions for renewals and cancellations now? Does that mean we should soon know about Sanctuary? :confused:

Source: http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/12/19/paranormal-witness-renewed-for-a-second-season-by-syfy/114132/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Tvbythenumbers+%28TVbytheNumbers%29

majorsal
December 19th, 2011, 01:07 PM
'the depths' ratings:

1.281/0.3

well, it went down, but not abysmal. :p

majorsal - 1.41/0.4
Steff - 1.52/0.5
Abn - 1.45/0.5
siles - 1.3/0.4
es - 1.34/0.4

siles won! :p

fems
December 19th, 2011, 01:12 PM
'the depths' ratings:

1.281/0.3

well, it went down, but not abysmal. :p

majorsal - 1.41/0.4
Steff - 1.52/0.5
Abn - 1.45/0.5
siles - 1.3/0.4
es - 1.34/0.4

siles won! :p

Maybe the "Will and Magnus get stuck together somewhere"-episode becoming old... Especially for those who (have started to) dislike Will's attitude lately. If there's going to be a fifth season I wouldn't mind if they left out this theme-episode for once.

Or maybe it's because of the upcoming holidays. It's the first time since the fourth ep that we've hit a 0.3... I have a feeling that it might stick with Christmas and New Year's eve so close to the last two episodes.

Abnormal
December 19th, 2011, 11:09 PM
....... Yeah well... I said I wouldn't like numbers below 1.3 and of course... It's below 1.3... Plus the demo is down too... Not a catastrophe, but I expected more...

majorsal
December 20th, 2011, 12:12 PM
....... Yeah well... I said I wouldn't like numbers below 1.3 and of course... It's below 1.3... Plus the demo is down too... Not a catastrophe, but I expected more...

*why* did the previous ratings do so well, but last fri's not? i think it was sun spots... and tinsel. yes, that's it. :S

NumberSix
December 21st, 2011, 10:07 AM
*why* did the previous ratings do so well, but last fri's not? i think it was sun spots... and tinsel. yes, that's it. :S

ummmm..... people don't like Helen and Will "bottle episodes"?........ they were at office Christmas parties?.......
I don't know but hope they go back up for the final two.

Abnormal
December 21st, 2011, 10:09 AM
ummmm..... people don't like Helen and Will "bottle episodes"?........ they were at office Christmas parties?.......
I don't know but hope they go back up for the final two.

Do "normal" viewers even know it's the final and do they know there will be new episodes when traditionally networks only air reruns?

NumberSix
December 21st, 2011, 03:53 PM
Do "normal" viewers even know it's the final and do they know there will be new episodes when traditionally networks only air reruns?

Depends on how you define "normal" viewers. :p I suppose people who watch the show on a regular basis know the season finale is upon us. But those who don't and just turn the tv on and randomly search for something to watch may not tune in those nights to watch anything.

Rocky89
December 22nd, 2011, 04:21 PM
http://www.redeyechicago.com/entertainment/tv/redeye-amanda-tapping-teases-sanctuary-season-finale-takes-yours-questions-20111222,0,3002271.story

Have you heard anything about a fifth season?We have not. We haven't heard anything. It's completely frustrating because normally we would know by now, but we don't, soo. I think it's fueling a lot of angst amongst the fans that we haven't heard and therefore, we've been cancelled, but that's not the case. We just don't know yet.

Everybody wants an answer.I know and I would love to give them a definitive. Believe me... I love playing Helen Magnus. I love working on the show. If I were to be told today that the show was not coming back that would be a big body blow.

THIS!

Oy, Syfy, taking their sweet time. :rolleyes:

Abnormal
December 22nd, 2011, 10:58 PM
Thanks Rock!

She's so funny... I would miss her very very much...

Rocky89
December 23rd, 2011, 05:05 AM
Thanks Rock!

She's so funny... I would miss her very very much...

Oy, Syfy, now it seems they're frustrating the queen, and that's a BIG no-no for me. :S I just wish they'd say something instead of just keeping us and them waiting. :S

blueray
December 23rd, 2011, 07:00 AM
its interesting that they don't know yet. that would be frustrating not knowing if you have a job or not.

Skydiver
December 23rd, 2011, 06:51 PM
Part of being an actor....and why so many of them miss cons when they get a gig...you rarely turn down work, you get a gig you do all you can to take it, cause you don't know when the next one will be.

Abnormal
December 27th, 2011, 08:23 AM
In a couple of hours we should know the ratings for the 12th episode. I think the ratings for the two last episodes will have an impact on Syfy's decision (if they have not made one yet, which to me is very unlikely).

My prediction:

Abn ==> 1.1 / 0.4%

Linwelin
December 27th, 2011, 09:38 AM
Craig Engler said on twitter yesterday that the decision hasn't been made yet. Last year, it was made in January, right?

Let's just hope.

Rocky89
December 27th, 2011, 10:53 AM
Craig Engler said on twitter yesterday that the decision hasn't been made yet. Last year, it was made in January, right?

Let's just hope.

Yeah, here it is-

http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae118/Rocky89_05/vlcsnap-2011-12-27-14h46m06s6.png

Wow, Syfy actually answered a question about Sanctuary. And Caprica, wow. :p

Steff
December 27th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Ratings

SANCTUARY *Sanctuary for None Part 1* 1115 0.4

Abnormal
December 27th, 2011, 12:53 PM
Last Friday's episode got 1.115.000 viewers and was up a tenth to a 0.4%.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/12/27/friday-cable-ratings-gold-rush-once-again-leads-sanctuary-smackdown-for-better-or-worse-more/114722/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Tvbythenumbers+%28TVbytheNumbers%29

majorsal
December 27th, 2011, 01:28 PM
Ratings

SANCTUARY *Sanctuary for None Part 1* 1115 0.4

Last Friday's episode got 1.115.000 viewers and was up a tenth to a 0.4%.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/12/27/friday-cable-ratings-gold-rush-once-again-leads-sanctuary-smackdown-for-better-or-worse-more/114722/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Tvbythenumbers+%28TVbytheNumbers%29

well, it's up to a 0.4 again, and it's not below a million...

(that's quite the left-handed compliment a made, eh? :p)

es!
December 27th, 2011, 02:01 PM
well, it's up to a 0.4 again, and it's not below a million...

(that's quite the left-handed compliment a made, eh? :p)

:lol: Dunno, I like it! Haha!

Abnormal -
bullseye! :D

iJOKE
December 29th, 2011, 07:14 PM
My mind says it will
My heart says it wont

Im honestly not so sure..
I wish there would be another season. But somehow I have doubts. :S

It'd be good if the show progressed incase the FINAL episode is a cliffhanger ending.. (id hate that)
But somehow as ratings show.. I reckon it will be cancelled.

I just dont know

blazingfire
December 30th, 2011, 11:56 PM
Having seen the final episode

I think it will get a season 5. But even if, it doesn't, that was a beautiful way to end it. Full Circle indeed.

es!
December 31st, 2011, 10:43 AM
It looks like MAD are fully prepared for the show to be cancelled. Maybe they poker a little. You know, they are officially ready to end the show, so Syfy can't try to give them less funds if they want to have several more eps filmed for the syndication...

Inquisitor
December 31st, 2011, 11:25 PM
I think that's one of the good things about the Underground Sanctuary. Now they can do everything completely in green screen, they only need one set.

Skydiver
January 1st, 2012, 07:24 AM
I think green screens are a mixed blessing. They are great for saving money, but also practical sets end up being cheaper. SUch as magnus' office, Henry's lab, etc

there's a lot that they do practical. Such as the FBI/SCIU headquarters, addson's office, Homeland, etc.

The one visual giveaway to something being green screened, it's massive. Like Magnus' bedroom....who has what looks like a 50x50 bedroom? The entry hall of the Sanctuary. A lot of the rooms are unnaturally big.

But, beyond that, yeah, they have the chance to start all over, which can be good, can be bad. But I think it adds a new element to the show....instead of the 'government ignores us and lets us do what we want', they'll have to sneak in and sneak out, fixing things on the sly and then vanishing. It adds more intrigue and mystery to the whole thing....and maybe takes us back to how it was in the beginning, finding and fixing monster of the week rather than dealing with a season long plot arc of government conspiracy.

kes
January 2nd, 2012, 02:06 AM
I think that's one of the good things about the Underground Sanctuary. Now they can do everything completely in green screen, they only need one set.

But they need to built new virtual sets and that costs money. They had standing sets and virtual sets already built that saved them money.

trinity3
January 2nd, 2012, 11:38 AM
Happy new year everyone. Ok this is my first time on the thread but I enjoyed S4 much more than I did S3. Tbh the way 4 closed it could safely be the end but as others have said it could create the opportunity for new things for a S5. My vote goes to yes to S5. :)

And now for the dumb question: Is John really dead?

Say it ain't so :(

Dinoman
January 2nd, 2012, 04:51 PM
If you want to show your support to Season 5, here is a public petition you can sign:

Hi, I'm new in this forum (and i'm french )

but i found this:

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/we-demand-sanctuary-season-five.html

I thought I'd give you the link as soon as possible

siles
January 3rd, 2012, 01:40 AM

Unfortunately Sanctuary special effects are not the best; clearly not movie quality (Avatar and the like), but imho they're not even on par with what we've seen on other TV shows (Fringe and Terra Nova)

Rocky89
January 3rd, 2012, 06:30 AM
@Syfy Back from my holiday break. Let's start the New Year with a Q&A. What's on your mind? (And no #Sanctuary fans, I have no news for you.)

:rolleyes: :lol:

es!
January 3rd, 2012, 06:34 AM
Hahaha, sounds like we bugged them efficiently enough last year :p

Rocky89
January 3rd, 2012, 06:40 AM
Hahaha, sounds like we bugged them efficiently enough last year :p

Go us. ;) Do I feel even the slightest bit bad? No. Why, well, after what they did to us in S3.5, it's time they felt how annoying things can be for a change. :p

@GillianHorvath @Syfy Hey Craig, do you remember that ad NBC ran when they renewed Quantum Leap? Network exec covered in avalanche of viewer mail. ;-)

@GillianHorvath (Not suggesting anyone inundate @Syfy with mail -- I think you already did.)

You go, girl. ;)

NumberSix
January 3rd, 2012, 08:47 AM
@Syfy Back from my holiday break. Let's start the New Year with a Q&A. What's on your mind? (And no #Sanctuary fans, I have no news for you.)

:rolleyes: :lol:

Well at least we know someone's paying attention to the tweets.
:D

majorsal
January 3rd, 2012, 06:31 PM
'sanctuary for none - pt 2' (season finale)
viewership - 1.288
adults - 0.4

not bad. :)

not 'great', but not bad. :p

i hope that's enough for a renewal. of course, we could always go over to syfy's twitter and harass and nag and belittle them into a season 5 renewal. that always works. :sheppardanime31:

chrono trigger
January 5th, 2012, 10:55 AM
are sanctuarys chances looking good for a season 5?

Abnormal
January 5th, 2012, 10:59 AM

THE question.... I'd say 50/50... We'd be very lucky to get a finale season!

Rocky89
January 7th, 2012, 08:40 AM
@Syfy Heya #Sanctuary fans, thx for your enthusiasm! Please note though that tweeting me over & over again will have no impact on a renewal.

Other things were said to fans in following tweets, but I won't post them. :rolleyes:

You know, fans don't tweet Syfy as much about other shows, so they should see that as fans who care. :)

fems
January 7th, 2012, 08:57 AM
What it might have an impact on, however, is if @Syfy will reply to your questions in the future :rolleyes:

I can imagine seeing the same names with the same question over and over again might make them a bit tired of you.

Skydiver
January 7th, 2012, 09:09 AM
What Craig likely sees is a handful of people continually banging the same drum over and over and over, which makes it more likely for him and others to simply scroll past any other tweet with the sanctuary tag.

It's one thing to support a show with honest and sincere comments, it's another to harp about it, systematically and automatically saying the same things over and over until they become ignorable.

ANd those that do 'harass' via twitter simply stand to be blocked or, if someone is in a really bad mood, reported as a spammer.

While Skiffy will bear in mind that a show has a fanbase, they will not spend millions of dollars renewing a show based on tweets or the vocal nature of a fanbase.

If we get a season 5 it'll be because S3M and Skiffy come to an understanding about profit and loss and whether or not they can make money off season 5.

Snowman37
January 7th, 2012, 09:38 AM
Does anyone know when we can expect to find out if the show will be renewed or cancelled?

siles
January 7th, 2012, 10:12 AM
Does anyone know when we can expect to find out if the show will be renewed or cancelled?

I think we'll know for sure by the end of this month

EH-T
January 7th, 2012, 10:14 AM

Nope. Although someone mentioned on another thread that we got news of renewal last year on January 18th. Hopefully that means we hear soon.

jckfan55
January 7th, 2012, 10:32 AM
If we get a season 5 it'll be because S3M and Skiffy come to an understanding about profit and loss and whether or not they can make money off season 5.

I would think Sanctuary has done pretty well for them and it would make sense to give it another year. Especially rather than having to find something else (unknown commodity) to fill the slot. hopes...

suse
January 7th, 2012, 02:48 PM
I think green screens are a mixed blessing. They are great for saving money, but also practical sets end up being cheaper. SUch as magnus' office, Henry's lab, etc

there's a lot that they do practical. Such as the FBI/SCIU headquarters, addson's office, Homeland, etc.

The one visual giveaway to something being green screened, it's massive. Like Magnus' bedroom....who has what looks like a 50x50 bedroom? The entry hall of the Sanctuary. A lot of the rooms are unnaturally big.

But, beyond that, yeah, they have the chance to start all over, which can be good, can be bad. But I think it adds a new element to the show....instead of the 'government ignores us and lets us do what we want', they'll have to sneak in and sneak out, fixing things on the sly and then vanishing. It adds more intrigue and mystery to the whole thing....and maybe takes us back to how it was in the beginning, finding and fixing monster of the week rather than dealing with a season long plot arc of government conspiracy.

Re: the spoilered stuff. Hallelujah if it's what they do.

Briangate78
January 7th, 2012, 03:08 PM

Before the New Year, I was like 50/50, now that we are in Jan, I think there is about a 20% Chance, even if that.

But what do I know. lol.

majorsal
January 7th, 2012, 06:15 PM

what is S3M?

majorsal
January 7th, 2012, 06:26 PM
Before the New Year, I was like 50/50, now that we are in Jan, I think there is about a 20% Chance, even if that.

But what do I know. lol.

:( x 100!

suse
January 7th, 2012, 07:43 PM
what is S3M?
Stage 3 Media. Not so sure they (Martin, Amanda, Damian) are still calling themselves that but that's what they were when Sanctuary was started.

Linwelin
January 7th, 2012, 11:56 PM
Stage 3 Media. Not so sure they (Martin, Amanda, Damian) are still calling themselves that but that's what they were when Sanctuary was started.

No, it is "My plastic badger", now: https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150306077337069 :)

Abnormal
January 8th, 2012, 12:17 AM
Is that the effect fandom has on people? Gosh... I do hope I'll never become like that!

Deevil
January 8th, 2012, 02:39 AM

But what do I know. lol.

I can't imagine why the odds dropped - after all we didn't find out until halfway through Jan last year.

Mind you, I'm not betting on either result at this point. I'm just hoping for a renewal.

Skydiver
January 8th, 2012, 04:45 AM
There can be the theory, the longer it takes for a show to be renewed, the less the chance that it will be renewed.

Of course, the other way to look at it, the longer they take to cancel it, the less the chances it'll be cancelled.

What it likely means is that they have to negotiate and crunch numbers.

Some network shows have already been cancelled. Some barely made it one episode before they were canned. (CBS 'how to be a gentlemen' for example)
On th other side of the coin, the big bang theory was renewed months ago for 3 more years I believe. And other shows are certain to be renewed like NCIC, one of the only scripted shows constantly in the top 20 ratings wise.

Sanctuary has about a 50/50 chance.

Deevil
January 8th, 2012, 01:37 PM

lordofseas
January 8th, 2012, 02:52 PM
^

I agree. :D

Skydiver
January 8th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Deevil is obviously speechless ;)

lordofseas
January 8th, 2012, 03:50 PM

Just completely awestruck with the awesomeness of Season 4. :D

majorsal
January 8th, 2012, 06:51 PM

No, it is "My plastic badger", now: https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150306077337069 :)

thanks, guys :)

Deevil
January 9th, 2012, 12:30 AM

LMAO! Posting from my iphone is clearly a bad idea :P.

What I think I was going to say was that I agree with you. People tend to think unless word comes down immediately either way a show is done for, but the truth is many shows wait till the 11th hour to get renewed. Negotiations have to happen in order to get the most profitable, and equatable solution for all.

Mind you I often err in the no news is good news side of the equation as it means that there are still talks happening. It doesn't mean it'll get a desired outcome, it just means that they are trying to reach an agreement.

I still call it 50.50 as we aren't even down to the 11th hour now and they usually don't head back into production until March (I think that's what it was last year)...

es!
January 9th, 2012, 12:41 AM
I just hope we won't have to wait till March to know :S

Skydiver
January 9th, 2012, 02:53 AM
sigh, post napped

anyway, I had this nice long ramble about how there's so many things that can contribute to a show's renewal....and its' too early in the morning to reconstruct it all.

shame on me for not c/p'ing it

Celandine
January 9th, 2012, 02:18 PM
I just hope we won't have to wait till March to know :S

Someone said it was last January when it was found out that Sanctuary was renewed for a Season 4. So, I guess they were hinting that it might be the same this time around. *shrug*

sigh, post napped

anyway, I had this nice long ramble about how there's so many things that can contribute to a show's renewal....and its' too early in the morning to reconstruct it all.

shame on me for not c/p'ing it

*pats* ;)

Rocky89
January 9th, 2012, 06:55 PM
@RyRobbins AQ- #Sanctuary season 5. No word either way yet, that I'm aware of. Believe me, we'd like to know as much, if not more, than you guys.

This! :p

Rocky89
January 12th, 2012, 09:45 AM
@Syfy I have time to answer 5 questions while I eat lunch. (Arugula salad if you must know.) What's on your mind?

@Syfy Let me take care of the common ones: #Warehouse13, #Haven, #Eureka & #Alphas will all return this year with new seasons, dates TBD.

@Syfy We do not have a date for the return of #DestinationTruth & there is no news on whether or not #Sanctuary will be renewed for a season 5.

@Syfy Another general note: Nothing is "taking too long" with any show in terms of renewals, air dates, etc. It all just takes how long it takes.

@Syfy TV decisions are like wizards: "A wizard is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to."

:confused: :rolleyes: :lol:

Julian
January 12th, 2012, 08:06 PM
While I don't really know much and I'm no expert, a few things I thought I may add are -

If MAD really want the show to continue, then I'm sure it will in some form. Hopefully being an independent production will make this more possible for them than other shows which have been cancelled and failed at finishing the story or wrapping it up. (However, that said, I don't know if there is much point for Sanctuary seeing as they've already wrapped up the show with SFN. A 5th season would hopefully involve their new operations and exploration of the new facilities, but a mini-series or a direct-to-DVD movie would have to involve some form of drama, which I'm kind of sick of from Sanctuary now, and just want some easy-going plots)

Secondly, if the show is renewed later than sooner, won't this mean it won't be able to air this year? For an October debut they start filming in April, which is 3 months away. While for most show this leaves plenty of time, don't MAD have to acquire their funding first, which may take extra time? (It'd be interesting to see how Sanctuary faired in a different time of the year, but in the same Friday night timeslot)

Rocky89
January 18th, 2012, 11:38 AM
Fringe breaks even, Supernatural stumbles and 14 other genre shows (http://blastr.com/2012/01/fringe-breaks-even-supern.php?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

Sanctuary (Syfy) - DONE FOR SEASON
"We still don't know if we'll see a fifth year for Sanctuary, but it managed to end its fourth with a nice little numbers spike. For now, we leave it with good news."

NumberSix
January 18th, 2012, 12:41 PM
I wish we at least knew whether they were negotiating, but I understand nobody wants to say anything until there's definite news.

Deevil
January 19th, 2012, 01:34 AM
I wish we at least knew whether they were negotiating, but I understand nobody wants to say anything until there's definite news.

We know they are negotiating and we'll know when they stop because we'll have an answer. But we rarely, if ever, get confirmation of any talks.

Altariel
January 19th, 2012, 04:50 AM
We know they are negotiating and we'll know when they stop because we'll have an answer. But we rarely, if ever, get confirmation of any talks.

But isn´t it a bad sign if the negotiating takes that long?

jelgate
January 19th, 2012, 05:43 AM

A long time would mean we would have context of when talks began. We don't have that information

blueray
January 19th, 2012, 05:47 AM

thats true. the only time you hear about it is if the show was already canceled and they are trying other places. so maybe its good that we aren't hearing that they are talking.

NumberSix
January 19th, 2012, 08:52 AM
Plus if SyFy recently hired some new executives maybe the talking got started kind of late, so that they could be involved. ??

es!
January 19th, 2012, 10:17 AM
Plus if SyFy recently hired some new executives maybe the talking got started kind of late, so that they could be involved. ??

I doubt reality shows executives take part in the negotiations re Sanctuary.

kmac45
January 19th, 2012, 10:31 AM
My hope is for a S5 but my gut is telling me no. SyFy is trying to bring up new content and new shows...

NumberSix
January 19th, 2012, 12:41 PM
I doubt reality shows executives take part in the negotiations re Sanctuary.
So the new execs were added just to work exclusively with the reality shows?

Deevil
January 19th, 2012, 09:18 PM

No, a bad sign would be if a show was canceled in 5 minutes. Negotiations, long negotiations mean that both sides are trying to come to an equitable solution. It means that neither side want to let it go - this is good.

RealmOfX
January 19th, 2012, 11:41 PM
My hope is for a S5 but my gut is telling me no. SyFy is trying to bring up new content and new shows...

It's a normal part of Syfy's business to have a development slate. They also have a very open schedule for new content all through the year, I think the highest number of new primetime content in a week last year was 11 hrs so there's plenty of room for expansion.

RealmOfX
January 19th, 2012, 11:45 PM
So the new execs were added just to work exclusively with the reality shows?

From the Syfy press release :

January 10, 2012
SYFY EXPANDS UNSCRIPTED PROGRAMMING DEPARTMENT
ROBYN LATTAKER-JOHNSON, WAYNE SAMPSON AND COLIN WHELAN APPOINTED VICE PRESIDENTS, ALTERNATIVE PROGRAMMING

NEW YORK – January 10, 2012 – Syfy has named Robyn Lattaker-Johnson, Wayne Sampson and Colin Whelan as Vice Presidents, Alternative Programming, it was announced today by Tim Krubsack, SVP, Alternative Programming, to whom they will report. Also added to the programming department are Tori Socha and Andrew Whitney, who join as Directors, Alternative Programming.

In making the announcement, Krubsack said: “On the heels of Syfy’s most watched year in history, we will be launching a record number of unscripted series in 2012. With their diverse experiences, creative sensibilities and stellar accomplishments, these five very gifted executives will play a key role in shaping that programming expansion and the continuing growth of the Syfy brand.”

In their new roles, Lattaker-Johnson, Sampson and Whelan will oversee Syfy’s current slate of hit reality series, including Face Off, Ghost Hunters, Fact or Faked: Paranormal Files, Haunted Collector, Paranormal Witness, Hollywood Treasure, and the upcoming Monster Man, Dream Machines and Total Blackout, as well as developing new unscripted projects.

Socha and Whitney will support the programming team, as well as identify new projects for development.

All five executives will be based in Syfy’s Los Angeles office.

Altariel
January 20th, 2012, 01:03 AM
What does that mean for Sancuary? If they wanna make more reality shows (such a crap) is there no room for Sanctuary?

Deevil
January 20th, 2012, 01:11 AM
What does that mean for Sancuary? If they wanna make more reality shows (such a crap) is there no room for Sanctuary?

No, it means they are making more original content and some of that will be reality (reality that many people like). No where does it state, or imply, that they are moving on from Original Scripted series.

Skydiver
January 20th, 2012, 03:32 AM
When you get right down to it, unscripted 'reality' tv is getting harder and harder to make in that....there are only so many ideas out there before you get to the ridiculous and stupid level. You can see some of this on DIscovery and other channels. We've gone from axmen and ice road truckers and survivorman to people that dredge for gold and people that restore old stuff and pawn stars and people bidding on the contents of storage lockers....it gets more and more esoteric all the time because there are only so many 'interesting' jobs and things out there.

it's getting harder and harder to make 'interesting' unscripted tv. Especially with a channel like scifi that, well they can't exactly show ice road trucking or dirty jobs or deadliest catch because it doesn't quite fit into science fiction now does it?

Deevil
January 20th, 2012, 04:10 AM
We could always get more Ghost Hunters; They use science to attempt to prove their fiction. SciFi at its... best.

es!
January 20th, 2012, 05:54 AM
I remember reading about two groups of post graduate students in chemistry and physics, one group was creating circles in corn (incl. all kinds of chemical doodadas that were supposed to prove their "alien" origin), the other group had to prove they were man made using all kinds of cool real scientific gadgets.

Now that would make a lovely reality show in my opinion. Why oh why I am not one of those three new executives! I could try to bribe the guys responsible for Sanctuary's renewal with cupcakes :D

blueray
January 20th, 2012, 05:59 AM
yeah i really don't care for reality tv. some is okay, but when it comes to sci-fi i want to leave the normal behind. while some shows i can get being on syfy such as face off (never watched it but it is at least relevant to the genre). then you get wrestling, how is that possibly sci-fi?

Mandysg1
January 20th, 2012, 06:20 AM
yeah i really don't care for reality tv. some is okay, but when it comes to sci-fi i want to leave the normal behind. while some shows i can get being on syfy such as face off (never watched it but it is at least relevant to the genre). then you get wrestling, how is that possibly sci-fi?

As long as it brings in the $$$ it's scifi :rolleyes:

Rocky89
January 20th, 2012, 07:22 AM
As long as it brings in the $$$ it's scifi :rolleyes:

Without going into details, I got an e-mail from WHR yesterday, and they said they're still waiting on something from from Syfy. :p They're still hopeful, but worried. Again, I can't go into details, but it's something to think about.

Who says WHR doesn't know anything. ;) :rolleyes:

Deevil
January 20th, 2012, 07:31 AM
Without going into details, I got an e-mail from WHR yesterday, and they said they're still waiting on something from from Syfy. :p They're still hopeful, but worried. Again, I can't go into details, but it's something to think about.

Me! C'mon mate you've implied not only that they know nothing, but that you also don't. We all know word will come down sooner or later, statements of the obvious aren't all that exciting especially when presented in tabloidal, Chinese Whispers fashion. I'm happy your excited, but implications that WHR has some kind of scoop is kind of... Unbelievable. If anyone is going to get a scoop it'll be their own blstr or even a trade mag. WHR isn't as big as some believe it is IMO.

Rocky89
January 20th, 2012, 07:45 AM
Me! C'mon mate you've implied not only that they know nothing, but that you also don't. We all know word will come down sooner or later, statements of the obvious aren't all that exciting especially when presented in tabloidal, Chinese Whispers fashion. I'm happy your excited, but at this point implications that WHR has some kind of scoop is kind of... Unbelievable.

You're missing the point with all due respect, that just goes to show that they do have access to info. If they told me either way, I wouldn't come here and post it, but something like this is OK for me to talk about. This is something for fans to take in, and think about.

fems
January 20th, 2012, 07:50 AM
You're missing the point with all due respect, that just goes to show that they do have access to info. If they told me either way, I wouldn't come here and post it, but something like this is OK for me to talk about. This is something for fans to take in, and think about.

With all due respect, you've contributed absolutely nothing to the subject with your post about what they do or don't know.

Deevil
January 20th, 2012, 07:51 AM

Seriously, the fact they have you posting vague, non informative information proves that they really 'know something'? Are they going into politics? Care to sell me some Kangaroo feathers while you're at it? Cause with 'all due respect I'd like to take a poll - how many people knew information is forthcoming on S5 renewal?

Unfortunately your excited revelation didn't reveal anything...

Mandysg1
January 20th, 2012, 08:00 AM

*Raises hand*

Rocky89
January 20th, 2012, 08:05 AM
*Raises hand*

And you know more? ;)

Well, if the show gets a S5 or not, they'll know right away, and so could I. So, that's something. :p

Deevil
January 20th, 2012, 08:10 AM
And you know more? ;)

Well, if the show gets a S5 or not, they'll know right away, and so could I. So, that's something. :p

So will Gateworld, and a good chunk of the world. Press releases don't take long to get into the world these days. It's all pretty instantaneous. Thank god, we're an impatient lot.

Mandysg1
January 20th, 2012, 08:15 AM
I know as much as they do right now, it could get renewed or it could get cancelled, they are in negotiations. I'll know when SyFy let's thier press release out. Will I know right away, probably not, b/c I'm not always online. WHR will know after SyFy lets their press release out as well.

I think we've had this discussion before, I don't trust WHR as a news source.

Nuff said ;)

Rocky89
January 20th, 2012, 08:17 AM
So will Gateworld, and a good chunk of the world. Press releases don't take long to get into the world these days. It's all pretty instantaneous. Thank god, we're an impatient lot.

Exactly, it comes from the press, then the public. And I am a part of that press. :p

Deevil
January 20th, 2012, 08:21 AM
Exactly, it comes from the press, then the public. And I am a part of that press. :p

fems
January 20th, 2012, 09:13 AM
I have this nagging suspicion that the moment the official decision is made we'll hear about it from AT (and perhaps others) via twitter ;)

NumberSix
January 20th, 2012, 09:53 AM
From the Syfy press release :

Thanks. That answers my question pretty well.

We could always get more Ghost Hunters; They use science to attempt to prove their fiction. SciFi at its... best.

Lol. :)

I don't watch ANY of SyFy's "reality shows."

Skydiver
January 20th, 2012, 04:08 PM
I have this nagging suspicion that the moment the official decision is made we'll hear about it from AT (and perhaps others) via twitter ;)

THIS, yes. Thank you.

It will probably break on twitter first.

Skydiver
January 20th, 2012, 04:13 PM
Now, mod hat...... Rocky, seriously, check your ego at the door. Vague boasts really contribute nothing to this conversation beyond make it look like you're so desperate for attention that you'll do or say anything to get it.

Everyone else....the proper response to posts that contribute nothing to the conversation is to just ignore them. Don't 'justify' them by arguing, dont' validate them by quoting, just let them pass by unnoticed and unremarkable.

Deevil
January 20th, 2012, 04:27 PM
THIS, yes. Thank you.

It will probably break on twitter first.

Nothing ever breaks on twitter first! It's not like everyone found out about the cancelation of SGU on twitter. That'd never happen.

Snowman37
January 20th, 2012, 10:17 PM
The longer we wait, the more anxious I get about the show being cancelled. :(

Rocky89
January 21st, 2012, 05:03 AM
Nothing ever breaks on twitter first! It's not like everyone found out about the cancelation of SGU on twitter. That'd never happen.

Or Eureka. ;) :p

Skydiver
January 21st, 2012, 07:44 AM
The longer we wait, the more anxious I get about the show being cancelled. :(

I don't. It means they're working on it. They're still talking and no decision has been made. If the show was dead, we'd hear. As long as we hear nothing, it's still got a chance.

Unfortunately with its ratings, the economy and money, it's success isnt' a sure bet. A sure bet would be big bang theory...the first show in history to beat Idol in ratings (it was .01, so slim, but they did beat Idol last thursday) BBT has been renewed for 2-3 years, and that was based on its ratings months ago. NCIS is a sure bet to be renewed because of its numbers. Other shows, not so much.

As long as there's no word, there's still a chance.

Briangate78
January 21st, 2012, 12:09 PM
Does anybody know when they are suppose to start filming for a potential 5th Season?

Deevil
January 21st, 2012, 01:09 PM
Does anybody know when they are suppose to start filming for a potential 5th Season?

When they get word there IS a fifth one. What most people don't realise is TV can actually start filming only 2 months (or less depending on how much post is needed - but 2 months maybe 3 would be good for Sanctuary) before an episode airs. Contracts generally deal with how many seasons not the time they will film or how many episodes.

Now that being said, if people have to wait around a year before they film, they'll have to pay the actors to wait. This may not be cost effective for Sanctuary and given it doesn't have a big studio behind it the show could [potentially] start filming before word from Skiffy comes down.

Also, it depends on when Skiffy wants to air the show. There are many variables, but there's no reason to believe they have to start filming on any set date....

RealmOfX
January 21st, 2012, 02:13 PM
When they get word there IS a fifth one. What most people don't realise is TV can actually start filming only 2 months (or less depending on how much post is needed - but 2 months maybe 3 would be good for Sanctuary) before an episode airs. Contracts generally deal with how many seasons not the time they will film or how many episodes.

Now that being said, if people have to wait around a year before they film, they'll have to pay the actors to wait. This may not be cost effective for Sanctuary and given it doesn't have a big studio behind it the show could [potentially] start filming before word from Skiffy comes down.

Also, it depends on when Skiffy wants to air the show. There are many variables, but there's no reason to believe they have to start filming on any set date....

Sorry Deevil but that time frame is not correct for Sanctuary, it takes around 29 to 30 weeks to produce an episode (according to Damian Kindler). So if they are to make an October air date they need to start in April. Last season they were cutting it real close by starting filming in April.

Skydiver
January 21st, 2012, 03:42 PM
some shows have a very short turn around. big bang theory, for example, filmed episode 100 less than a month ago. NCIS filmed their 200th within the last 2 weeks and it airs feb 7th.
sanctuary, however, has a very long post production. months and months to do all those effects.

Deevil
January 21st, 2012, 03:48 PM
Sorry Deevil but that time frame is not correct for Sanctuary, it takes around 29 to 30 weeks to produce an episode (according to Damian Kindler). So if they are to make an October air date they need to start in April. Last season they were cutting it real close by starting filming in April.

IF it does take that long to produce an episode the show is no where near as cheap to produce as it's being reported... Not saying your wrong, just that something has to give. 29-30 weeks is an excessively long post-production period and that's gonna eat up $'s. When did Damien say there was a greater than 6 month post production period, was it last season or before?

I also said it depends on when the show would air. For example they could potentially renew in May and production starts in June that means it could air NEXT year. My point, there is no really necessary time for it to be renewed. We may put a time limit on it, but given it's a cable show there really isn't one, apart from contractual ones - that's where Sanctuary could be in trouble, more so than a show with a studio behind it.

Julian
January 21st, 2012, 03:53 PM
I heard the 29-30 weeks thing before, but the SFN was only shot in August and it aired four months after that. Also from what Gillian Horvath posted on twitter it seemed like they were only doing the final audio mix/master for Fugue a fortnight before that aired.

My issue with Sanctuary is they seem to spend so long on the post-production but not as much time on the pre-production etc (i.e. in terms of plots and scripts).

majorsal
January 21st, 2012, 04:09 PM
'if' there's a season 5 (better be!)...

what if a season 5 took place in the future? say, 75 to 100 years. or more.

just thinking and pondering and so on. :p

Deevil
January 21st, 2012, 04:11 PM

And they could be protecting the abnormals on Babylon 5?!?

Hmmm... Ivanova meets Helen, now that could be interesting.

Mandysg1
January 21st, 2012, 04:54 PM
And they could be protecting the abnormals on Babylon 5?!?

Hmmm... Ivanova meets Helen, now that could be interesting.

As long as she's not meeting Captain Kirk, that's a Kirking I don't want to see :eek:

:P

RealmOfX
January 21st, 2012, 05:01 PM
IF it does take that long to produce an episode the show is no where near as cheap to produce as it's being reported... Not saying your wrong, just that something has to give. 29-30 weeks is an excessively long post-production period and that's gonna eat up $'s. When did Damien say there was a greater than 6 month post production period, was it last season or before?

I also said it depends on when the show would air. For example they could potentially renew in May and production starts in June that means it could air NEXT year. My point, there is no really necessary time for it to be renewed. We may put a time limit on it, but given it's a cable show there really isn't one, apart from contractual ones - that's where Sanctuary could be in trouble, more so than a show with a studio behind it.

Just clarifying that it wasn't a post production time but total production time and it was an approx. average. He's mentioned it several times over the years.

As for it being reported as being cheap well that depends on what you've heard and the source. Some people have taken the producer's cheaper than other shows (Caprica, SGU) to mean cheap. Last I heard from the producers was that it was costing just under $2 mil an episode and that was last year.

And yeah they have a huge number of factors to juggle so I'm expecting an answer when we get it and won't be surprised with a decision either way.

Deevil
January 21st, 2012, 05:11 PM
Just clarifying that it wasn't a post production time but total production time and it was an approx. average. He's mentioned it several times over the years.

So the 29-30 weeks concievably includes pre-production, production and post? Actually that's pretty believable in this case. It could potentially be cut down if necessary, but then again maybe not. Cheers for clarification though, I thought you meant post solely!

Last I heard from the producers was that it was costing just under $2 mil an episode and that was last year.

That could be a workable $ amount actually. I don't necessarily take producers word for total costs but they do give a fair idea.

And yeah they have a huge number of factors to juggle so I'm expecting an answer when we get it and won't be surprised with a decision either way.

That's pretty much where I am too. The season finale could act as series finale if necessary so it is what it is at this point.

fems
January 22nd, 2012, 12:08 AM

Well, that would certainly take care of some Will/Abby issues for me... ;)

Abnormal
January 22nd, 2012, 01:53 AM

Exactly what I thought when I read that! :lol:

majorsal
January 22nd, 2012, 06:32 PM

not if abby was visiting down under (that's the new sanctuary :p), and some device caused everyone to be frozen, and years passed and they were defrosted, and everyone's now 100 years into the future, including will and abby. :p

blueray
January 22nd, 2012, 07:52 PM
i wouldn't like that because that would mean no henry either :(.

fems
January 23rd, 2012, 02:29 AM
not if abby was visiting down under (that's the new sanctuary :p), and some device caused everyone to be frozen, and years passed and they were defrosted, and everyone's now 100 years into the future, including will and abby. :p

I would like to think that if there was such a device (which I doubt, since apparently it isn't Praxis and if Helen could have gotten her hands on it then she could've used it when she got stuck in the past) Helen wouldn't be so selfish to use it on them, since she knows the curse of her 'gift' is having to watch those she cares about die. She might have considered using it on James, the rest of The Five (if necessary) or someone equally brilliant, but not just another protege and certainly not his girlfriend. Besides, I didn't hear Will say Abby had quit so she's not even supposed to be there! :P

i would like that because that would mean no henry either :(.

I have no idea what the natural lifespan of a HAP is...

sg1victim
January 23rd, 2012, 02:01 PM
i am getting worried that is end , just a theory of myself , how come warehouse 13 get a 20 episode season for season 4 and the 7 aditional episodes have just been granted , could contract negosiations have fallen down ?and sy fy have gone with plan b ? i fear that sy fy might be replacing sanctuary with warehouse 13 and haven although good in its self . i really hope that i am wrong. can not wait for artic blast

Deevil
January 23rd, 2012, 07:19 PM
i am getting worried that is end , just a theory of myself , how come warehouse 13 get a 20 episode season for season 4 and the 7 aditional episodes have just been granted , could contract negosiations have fallen down ?and sy fy have gone with plan b ? i fear that sy fy might be replacing sanctuary with warehouse 13 and haven although good in its self . i really hope that i am wrong. can not wait for artic blast

If negotiations have collapsed, the show would be canceled and we'd already know. W13 extension is an independent hint of this.

Julian
January 23rd, 2012, 07:35 PM
TBH I find it weird though that W13 gets a 20 episode order when apparantly Syfy weren't doing that anymore, and that's why with S04 of Sanctuary we got 13 again.

RealmOfX
January 23rd, 2012, 08:18 PM
TBH I find it weird though that W13 gets a 20 episode order when apparantly Syfy weren't doing that anymore, and that's why with S04 of Sanctuary we got 13 again.

Policies change and also nothing has been officially announced yet.

Celandine
January 24th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Heard about AT's new movie deal which starts filming shortly supposedly. Hope this isnt a hint about Sanctuary's future.

Altariel
January 24th, 2012, 11:44 AM
Heard about AT's new movie deal which starts filming shortly supposedly. Hope this isnt a hint about Sanctuary's future.

What a movie? That really worries me, how shall she be able to work on the new Sanctuary season if she´s busy with another project?:(

RealmOfX
January 24th, 2012, 12:10 PM

What a movie? That really worries me, how shall she be able to work on the new Sanctuary season if she´s busy with another project?:(

It's a 3 week shooting schedule, 30 Jan - 21 Feb 21.

EH-T
January 24th, 2012, 01:20 PM
It's a 3 week shooting schedule, 30 Jan - 21 Feb 21.

Yes, not long enough to interfere with the start of season 5. Here is my opinion (and it is based on nothing more than my own speculation), Syfy has had the numbers for Sanctuary for some time now. If they had no plans to renew their agreement, I think they would have announced it by now. So my view is that they are interested in renewing and are in negotiations with TPTB. It, of course, all comes down to the money and if Syfy and TPTB can come up with a number they can both live with, we will have a season 5. That is my glass-half-full point of view.

unknown_k
January 24th, 2012, 01:46 PM
Every season costs more then the one before, most likely they are working out the costs to see if it is worth doing.

I do wonder how much of the show AT owns. If it is a decent amount I can see her trying to keep it going (maybe even with a smaller salary) to be able to get enough episodes to cash in on syndication. If she sold to much of it to get it made each year maybe another project would be better for her.

Celandine
January 24th, 2012, 01:46 PM
Would Space ever have the funds available to pick up Sanctuary if perchance it was cancelled?

Mandysg1
January 24th, 2012, 02:06 PM
Would Space ever have the funds available to pick up Sanctuary if perchance it was cancelled?

I really doubt that, I don't have numbers, but just know that Space is not a large market station in Canada.

samcartersg1
January 24th, 2012, 02:19 PM
I really doubt that, I don't have numbers, but just know that Space is not a large market station in Canada.

How does it work with shows like Lost Girl and Merlin that are made in Canada and the UK and air their first and then bought by Syfy later?

EH-T
January 24th, 2012, 03:31 PM

How does it work with shows like Lost Girl and Merlin that are made in Canada and the UK and air their first and then bought by Syfy later?

First, you have to consider that the population of Canada is 1/10 that of the US. In addition to being a much smaller TV market overall, Space is not a mainstream network but a cable station much like Syfy. While Space is the main producer of some shows (eg Todd and the Book of Pure Evil) those shows would not have anywhere near the budget of Sanctuary. So very unlikely Space would have the money to fill the gap.

Also, while Sanctuary is shown in something like 180 countries the US is by far the biggest market and, logically, provides the most money to the show (through Syfy). I doubt very much that the combined sales around the world could come up with enough money to make up for the loss of Syfy. Keep in mind that in the UK, for example, Sanctuary is shown on some rinky dink TV station at bizzare hours so I doubt they get much money from the UK rights.

Skydiver
January 24th, 2012, 03:53 PM
Portions of the Tudors was done in canada as far as I know...even the brits take advantage of cheaper places to tape.

I think it's all a matter of who pays for it and if the 'price' of that payment is whichever country gets it first.