The Sera Gamble 'Hate'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Sera Gamble 'Hate'

Before I begin let me stress that this is NOT A HATE THREAD! So please, keep it that way.

I've been reading through various forums of 'hardcore' SPN fans who have been on Sera Gamble's case ever since she took over a showrunner, my question is, why? I think she's been doing a fantastic job considering they didn't even plan on having any more seasons past 5.

And speaking as a male here, we very rarely see any women showrunners on shows like SPN. Which is a nice change in pace, I just think the hate is kind of unwarranted.

Any thoughts?

Most views from fans that I have read say that they think she's favoured Sam over Dean and have made Supernatural the 'Sam show' rather than it being about both the brothers, with Dean having no other purpose except to protect Sam. I don't really think this is true.. Maybe they just don't like change, seeing as Eric was showrunner for so long. I'm enjoying what Sera's done so far! This seasons been great, some ep's really stand out!
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Homer 120 View Post
      Before I begin let me stress that this is NOT A HATE THREAD! So please, keep it that way.

I've been reading through various forums of 'hardcore' SPN fans who have been on Sera Gamble's case ever since she took over a showrunner, my question is, why? I think she's been doing a fantastic job considering they didn't even plan on having any more seasons past 5.

And speaking as a male here, we very rarely see any women showrunners on shows like SPN. Which is a nice change in pace, I just think the hate is kind of unwarranted.

Any thoughts?
      It's great to hear that from a male fan...and get a male perspective on the issue.

For my sins..I'm totally immersed in the fandom...and from what I've seen I think the venom towards Sera is because she's a woman, nothing more. It's as if she must prove herself, over and above what any man would do. If Ben Edlund had taken over (and kept the show exactly the same) I bet there wouldn't have been the same kind of hate.

There was a lot of b!tching in Season 4 but that wasn't aimed at Eric as far as I can gather....more towards the storyline and Sam. I think because she's a woman some of the fans think of her as a nice weak target.

Also, I think a small but very vocal number of Dean fans...have latched on to a comment that Sera said a couple of years ago about liking Sam and basically, haven't forgiven her...so it's ammunition to beat her with.

It's a pity because I agree that she has done a stellar job. I really love what she's done. It was always going to be difficult carrying on after five seasons.

Originally posted by Boo View Post
      Most views from fans that I have read say that they think she's favoured Sam over Dean and have made Supernatural the 'Sam show' rather than it being about both the brothers, with Dean having no other purpose except to protect Sam. I don't really think this is true.. Maybe they just don't like change, seeing as Eric was showrunner for so long. I'm enjoying what Sera's done so far! This seasons been great, some ep's really stand out!
      I'm really impressed with what's been done with last season and this one. It would have been so easy to just coast along with the same old thing so as not to rock the boat. It takes a lot of guts to do what they've done - mixing it up a bit but keeping the core values of Sam and Dean against the Big Bad.

Nothing's perfect and all the fans wants more for their particular favourite but I agree and think there's a nice balance between Sam and Dean.
      sigpic

Comment

Another SPN male (no not J&J ) fan here.

I have NO problems with the way SG has handled the franchise AT ALL.
        S5 ended all (imo) all the core issues adressed in the preceeding 4 seasons and I don't think she had any option but to branch out further into the "accepted Mythology" of SPN, and I think she has done it well. Sam may be more "his own man" these days, and Dean may be needing the "support" more than before, but I see that more as an evolution of the two characters and thier experiences more than anything else.

Long story short, She's done well
        sigpic
        ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
        A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
        The truth isn't the truth

Comment

For the record, I didn't like season 6 and can barely stand season 7, so I guess I qualify for a hater (I am also a guy). It is logical that Sera is blamed for the percieved negativ changes of the show, she is head writer and executive producer and the most prominent figure of the show after all (just like Erik was). If she gets more flak than he did, it is probably because the earlier changes were less drastic (I personally had troubles with season 4 but it was still well-made and that convinced me after some time). Also, he might have had more credit since he was the creator of the show. But if Sera and Eric's role had been reversed (she being the creator and he taking over from her) he would probably be in the very same situation. Same for Ben Edlund. I doubt this is a gender thing, it is just the show being not anyway near its original quality (at least imo).
          Last edited by Jaemal; 26 December 2011, 06:21 AM. Reason: Fixed Sear's name
          In the darkness of night we hear the whispers of the void

Comment

Wow. When do you think DID the show have its quality if not in season 4?

Her name is Sera, btw, not Sarah.
            The cake is a lie!

Comment

Originally posted by iolanda View Post
              Wow. When do you think DID the show have its quality if not in season 4?

Her name is Sera, btw, not Sarah.
              I did like season 4 in the end but I had my problems adjusting to the Angels and the sudden swell of Christian mythology. Season 2 is still my favorite, though.

And good call with the name, don't know how I messed it up. Fixed it now.
              In the darkness of night we hear the whispers of the void

Comment

Originally posted by Jaemal View Post
                For the record, I didn't like season 6 and can barely stand season 7, so I guess I qualify for a hater (I am also a guy). It is logical that Sera is blamed for the percieved negativ changes of the show, she is head writer and executive producer and the most prominent figure of the show after all (just like Erik was). If she gets more flak than he did, it is probably because the earlier changes were less drastic (I personally had troubles with season 4 but it was still well-made and that convinced me after some time). Also, he might have had more credit since he was the creator of the show. But if Sera and Eric's role had been reversed (she being the creator and he taking over from her) he would probably be in the very same situation. Same for Ben Edlund. I doubt this is a gender thing, it is just the show being not anyway near its original quality (at least imo).
                I also thought Season 2 was a wonderful season although Season 4 is still my favourite. We all enjoy different things so I can understand why some people go off a show sometimes or leave it altogether. I've done it many times with other popular shows. After all why watch something that no longer holds your interest?

I've just acquired the S6 box set and will be having a re-watch soon so I've been reminded of this excellent review of the whole season here on Live Journal (Season Six in Review) by the very perceptive Missy Jack. (Or HERE if you don't like LJ) A movie and TV geek with the sharpest eye for detail. For anyone who is of the opinion that S6 is somehow lesser quality or the writers and the Spn team have somehow dropped the ball I urge you to read this. I agree that the season is much harder to watch and understand than the previous seasons but if you make a bit of effort you will be well rewarded. Especially if you love movies.

Make it your New Year's resolution. Go on...just do it!
                Last edited by LizzieAnne; 28 December 2011, 10:30 AM.
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X