PDA

View Full Version : Season 1 BD/DVD announcement + bonus content + cover art

DigiFluid
December 2nd, 2011, 06:10 AM
HBO finally gets around to announcing the home video release of Season 1! (http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Game-Thrones-Season-1/16269)

Game of Thrones - 'The Complete 1st Season' on DVD and Blu-ray: Date, Cost, Extras and Packaging

HBO Video has announced at their website that Game of Thrones - The Complete 1st Season is coming to DVD and Blu-ray Disc on March 6th. As we reported last June, the price is $59.99 SRP for the standard DVD set, and $79.98 SRP for the high-def (1080p video and DTS-HD Master Audio) Blu-ray Disc version, but you can pre-order both of them at a nice discount from Amazon.com using the button links below. Under that we have the package art for both formats. The information at HBO's own site had a brief list of the extras found on these releases, but one of our readers, "Ryan" (thanks!), pointed us toward EW.com's story with a more complete list of the bonus material that will be equipped on this title:
Complete Guide to Westeros
Making Game of Thrones
Character Profiles
Creating the Show Open
From the Book to the Screen
The Night's Watch
Creating the Dothraki Language
Audio Commentaries with Cast and Crew including David Benioff, D.B. Weiss, George R.R. Martin, Emilia Clarke, Peter Dinklage, Kit Harington, and more

Exclusive to the Blu-ray version:
Blu-ray Complete Guide to Westeros
In-Episode Guide
Anatomy of an Episode: episode six, 'A Golden Crown.'"
Hidden Dragon Eggs

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/4642/gameofthroness1blu.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/17/gameofthroness1blu.jpg/)

Sp!der
December 2nd, 2011, 08:51 AM
I can't wait to get hand on this one.... I think from 2011 Game of Thrones has been the best thing when it comes down to television or cinematic entertainment.. none of the new falls tv shows has toped the awesomeness of this epic show! If I had a bluray player I would buy it on bluray, but I have to stick with the dvd although it does not do justice to this awesome show, heck I would by the bluray as well if I had the kind of money :D

Gen. Chris
December 2nd, 2011, 02:13 PM
I still have yet to watch this show...Sadly enough.

Sp!der
December 2nd, 2011, 02:16 PM

You should try watching it if you don't mind nudity ( which often serves to the story actually except for one scene maybe)!

SaberBlade
December 2nd, 2011, 02:21 PM

I think I watched about half of it, then lost interest. Well lost interest is too strong, I still want to see it but other stuff got in the way so it wasn't as important. May just wait and catch the whole thing on Blu-Ray

Gen. Chris
December 2nd, 2011, 02:39 PM
You should try watching it if you don't mind nudity ( which often serves to the story actually except for one scene maybe)!

...Oh noes...Nudity...I could never stand that..

(we are talking about female nudity, right?)

SaberBlade
December 2nd, 2011, 03:30 PM
...Oh noes...Nudity...I could never stand that..

(we are talking about female nudity, right?)

I think we see man ass at least once, but yeah mostly female.

Shylodog
December 2nd, 2011, 08:21 PM
I think we see man ass at least once, but yeah mostly female.

We were also tortured with the aassassin's swinging cod in one shot. You know, for all the equal opportunists out there.

Angela V
December 2nd, 2011, 10:37 PM
That BluRay cover is gorgeous! I love the border and the spine artwork!

Gen. Chris
December 2nd, 2011, 11:45 PM
I might try watching it over winter break...Though I don't know how.

Sp!der
December 3rd, 2011, 04:20 AM
That BluRay cover is gorgeous! I love the border and the spine artwork!

me like it as well :D

DigiFluid
December 3rd, 2011, 05:24 PM
:indeed: I can't wait!

I just wish HBO was a bit faster about releasing their shows, they seem to wait until just a little while before the next season premieres before they release anything.

SaberBlade
December 3rd, 2011, 07:08 PM
We were also tortured with the aassassin's swinging cod in one shot. You know, for all the equal opportunists out there.

Shockingly enough, I don't remember seeing anyone's Thrill Drill during the show. If it happened during the second half of the season, something to look forward to I guess.

Morbo
December 4th, 2011, 06:03 PM
the show wasn't any more sexually graphic than the books are. HBO wasn't throwing nudity and sex in just because they were HBO. remember that.

SaberBlade
December 4th, 2011, 07:04 PM
I was personally offended by the male nudity, offended I say! I will say there wasn't enough female nudity, thou does protest!

I think the nudity is harmless, but the first sex scene with whatshername and Jason Momoa was bit off putting. It just make the scene more believable because I don't think she was enjoying it any more than I was.

DigiFluid
December 5th, 2011, 06:06 AM
Aversion to nudity in your entertainment....laughable :lol:

I think Saber's spot-on though regarding that first 'consummation scene' between Denaerys and Khal Drogo. Not all nudity need be (or is) scintillating, and that was a perfect example of when it's uncomfortable affecting the viewer experience exactly as it's meant to.

mathpiglet
December 5th, 2011, 07:45 AM

Another one too. Was it Theon? In the brothel.

DigiFluid
December 5th, 2011, 06:39 PM
More details on the bonus content:

DVD:
Complete Guide to Westeros - an interactive compendium of the noble houses and lands featured in season one.
Making Game of Thrones -an exclusive 30-minute feature including never-before-seen footage from the set and interviews from the cast and crew.
Character Profiles - profiles of 15 major characters as described by the actors portraying them.
Creating the Show Open - an inside look at the creation of the Emmy-winning opening title sequence for Game of Thrones.
From the Book to the Screen - executive producers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss along with author George R.R. Martin talk about the challenges of bringing Martin's epic fantasy novel to life on HBO.
The Night's Watch - an in-depth look at the unique order of men who patrol and protect the Wall, a 700 foot ice structure that separates the Seven Kingdoms from the darkness beyond.
Creating the Dothraki Language - an insightful glance into the comprehensive language created for the Dothraki people in Game of Thrones.
Audio Commentaries - Seven audio commentaries with cast and crew including David Benioff, D.B. Weiss, George R.R. Martin, Emilia Clarke, Peter Dinklage, Kit Harington, Lena Headey, Mark Addy, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Maisie Williams, Sophie Turner, Isaac Hempstead Wright, Bryan Cogman, Harry Lloyd, Daniel Minahan and Alan Taylor.

Blu-ray - includes all DVD features plus:
Blu-ray Complete Guide to Westeros - an interactive compendium of the noble houses and lands featured in season one, PLUS 24 exclusive histories of the Seven Kingdoms as told by the characters themselves done with animated illustrations that provide more information on the background of Game of Thrones.
In-Episode Guide - in-feature resource that provides background information about on-screen characters, locations, and relevant histories while each episode plays.
Anatomy of an Episode - an in-episode experience that explores the creative minds and colossal efforts behind episode six, "A Golden Crown."
Hidden Dragon Eggs - find the hidden dragon eggs to uncover even more never-before-seen content.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Game-Thrones-Season-1-Press-Release/16277#ixzz1fiq89PuS

Andron
December 12th, 2011, 03:10 PM
Already ordered my box set! :D

Gen. Chris
February 5th, 2012, 11:33 PM
I just pre-ordered it from Amazon cause I exchanged 70 bucks worth of books with them. Maybe the price will go down and I'll get some money back :P.

VampyreWraith
February 6th, 2012, 05:30 PM
The price on Amazon will probably go down closer to the release date. I pre-ordered the BD awhile ago when it was $54.99, now its $44.99, by early March it'll probably be $41.99, maybe even lower(one could hope anyway lol) :).

Sp!der
February 21st, 2012, 02:15 AM
The price on Amazon will probably go down closer to the release date. I pre-ordered the BD awhile ago when it was $54.99, now its $44.99, by early March it'll probably be $41.99, maybe even lower(one could hope anyway lol) :).

We still have no bluray player... well... first I am gonna buy it on dvd and with LOST and BSG this is the only show I would consider on buying on BLURAY again.... someday...

Skydiver
February 25th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Blu ray is down to 34.99 on amazon, 29.99 for the regular dvd's

DigiFluid
February 25th, 2012, 08:06 PM
I'm jealous, it's still full price on Amazon.ca.

Gen. Chris
March 6th, 2012, 07:11 AM
Woo hooo...Released today. Though I'll probably get my copy next week cause I don't have Amazon Prime anymore.

Still, I can't wait to add this epic set into my collection.

DigiFluid
March 6th, 2012, 07:39 AM
I got mine today. Came with a nice Stark-themed slipcase to go over the main case too :D

Gen. Chris
March 6th, 2012, 07:54 AM
Don't make me jealous :P

Randy_Watson
March 6th, 2012, 09:39 AM
Has anybody picked up the set from Target? There is a bonus disk, but I don't know how long it is. Walmart has bonus content too, but it's only 16 minutes and I think it might just be the little shorts they aired on HBO.

Gen. Chris
March 6th, 2012, 01:36 PM
Has anybody picked up the set from Target? There is a bonus disk, but I don't know how long it is. Walmart has bonus content too, but it's only 16 minutes and I think it might just be the little shorts they aired on HBO.

No, I ordered mine from Amazon so I haven't gone to either.

DigiFluid
March 7th, 2012, 09:41 AM
Disc-by-disc breakdown of the Season 1 Blu-ray set's contents:

Disc 1
1.01 Winter is Coming + Commentary + In-Episode Guide
1.02 The Kingsroad + Commentary + In-Episode Guide
Complete Guide to Westeros - Interactive feature with information on various topics including Great Houses, Lands, and History & Lore. Selecting each item will give a brief text explanation and a Play button. The Play button loads stylized video featurettes narrated by Bran.
Character Profiles - A series of video profiles on each of the season's main characters, as explained by the actors playing the roles.

Disc 2
1.03 Lord Snow + Commentary + In-Episode Guide
1.04 Cripples, Bastards, and Broken Things + Commentary + In-Episode Guide
1.05 The Wolf and the Lion
Complete Guide to Westeros - (Same on all discs)

Disc 3
1.06 A Golden Crown + Commentary + In-Episode Guide
Anatomy of an Episode - 1h feature that, when on, runs parallel to A Golden Crown with video picture-in-picture of various crew and actors detailing their experiences on the episode, concepts that didn't make it to film, reasons for why things were done in such way, etc

Disc 4
1.07 You Win or You Die + In-Episode Guide
1.08 The Pointy End + Commentary + In-Episode Guide
1.09 Baelor + In-Episode Guide

Disc 5
1.10 Fire and Blood + Commentary + In-Episode Guide
Making of Game of Thrones - 30 minute feature
From the Book to the Screen - 5 minute feature hosted by the show's executive producers and George R.R. Martin
Creating the Show Open - 5 minute feature hosted by the show's executive producers and the group that created the intro credits, on how they wanted both to do something unique and to use the opportunity to give viewers a feel for where everything is taking place in relation to each other
Creating the Dothraki Language - 5 minute feature hosted by the show's executive producers as well as those who took the time to build a Dothraki vocabulary so that it could be a legitimately spoken language on-screen
The Night's Watch - 8 minute feature hosted primarily by George R.R. Martin and supplemented by the executive producers, detailing what the Night's Watch is and its history

Gen. Chris
March 7th, 2012, 11:13 AM
Digi, is that all exclusive to Blu-Ray?

The Mighty 6 platoon
March 7th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Digi, is that all exclusive to Blu-Ray?

I'm not sure all of it is, but I know some of the stuff like Anatomy of an Episode is exclusive to Bluray.

Gen. Chris
March 7th, 2012, 02:00 PM
I'm not sure all of it is, but I know some of the stuff like Anatomy of an Episode is exclusive to Bluray.

Dang...

Well, I should be receiving my copy a week from today. Gives me a chance to get some of the other things I'm watching out of the way :P

Skydiver
March 7th, 2012, 05:30 PM
some of those specials do seem to be recycled off HBO. I remember seeing one about the dothraki language and creating the open.

DigiFluid
March 7th, 2012, 10:05 PM
Oh sure, yeah. Doing it that way means you've got great promotional material for the show before it premieres, as well as ready-made supplementary material once it comes time for the home video release. Besides--fans tend to get their knickers in a twist when behind-the-scenes specials show on TV but don't end up on the final release.

mr_kennedy
March 8th, 2012, 01:08 AM
Got it today :D

The Mighty 6 platoon
March 8th, 2012, 05:30 AM
Grr, bloody Amazon seem to have lost my bluray in the post. So now I have to chase them up about it.:(

VampyreWraith
March 8th, 2012, 11:46 AM
I should get mine by Saturday, but it might get here tomorrow, since it's already in NJ(according to the tracking info).

Gen. Chris
March 8th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Mine is still in Kentucky...I got a message that mail was here earlier (before I checked online) and I raced down there hoping it got here early and it was...Printer ink. :(

The Mighty 6 platoon
March 8th, 2012, 06:00 PM
I now have my Bluray box set, it is excellent. Turns out they hadn't lost it in transit, instead when they delivered it, everybody was out, so they left it for some reason outside near a back door on my family's farm and left no note to say they had delivered anything. It had been sitting there since Monday.

So top marks for the Game of Thrones Bluray, the content is excellent, great picture and sound quality, plenty of special features, plus it seems the box is durable and can survive being left outside on a farm for three days. :P

Angela V
March 8th, 2012, 10:42 PM
I WON A FRAKING COPY!

:thoranime09:

Over at BluRay.com. I actually became a member of the website just to enter. I had lurked before. There were 3 copies available to win and I checked to make sure Canadians could enter. So was I ever shocked I actually won!!!!

My husband is going to freak.

Okay, I'm kind of freaking out still.

Oh and I choose Helen Magnus as my name there and it was actually not taken at all! So I didn't have to add numbers or anything to it! Amanda Tapping is now my good luck charm. :samanime20:

Gen. Chris
March 8th, 2012, 11:48 PM
I WON A FRAKING COPY!

:thoranime09:

Over at BluRay.com. I actually became a member of the website just to enter. I had lurked before. There were 3 copies available to win and I checked to make sure Canadians could enter. So was I ever shocked I actually won!!!!

My husband is going to freak.

Okay, I'm kind of freaking out still.

Oh and I choose Helen Magnus as my name there and it was actually not taken at all! So I didn't have to add numbers or anything to it! Amanda Tapping is now my good luck charm. :samanime20:

50% of me wants to congratulate you, 90% of me wants to say go frak yourself, and 3.7% of me wants to remind myself I'm bad at math

VampyreWraith
March 9th, 2012, 01:00 PM
I just got my blu-ray set a little bit ago in the mail. YAY! :D

Angela V
March 11th, 2012, 10:06 PM
50% of me wants to congratulate you, 90% of me wants to say go frak yourself, and 3.7% of me wants to remind myself I'm bad at math

*SNORT!*

Apparently I had a 1 in 800 chance to win. It was a harder contest to win and somehow I pulled it off. Maybe using Helen Magnus as my name will rub some luck on Sanctuary being renewed. :samanime20:

Gen. Chris
March 12th, 2012, 08:22 AM
*SNORT!*

Apparently I had a 1 in 800 chance to win. It was a harder contest to win and somehow I pulled it off. Maybe using Helen Magnus as my name will rub some luck on Sanctuary being renewed. :samanime20:

A couple months back, I entered into a contest to see the red carpet premier of Psych season 6 in NYC. I did it for the heck of it, mainly cause I knew I wouldn't win and because I'm on the West Coast, so it wouldn't matter...

Sure enough, I won, one of 500 to do so. And also sure enough, I couldn't go. I would have been able to meet the cast and crew as well as gotten free stuff, but it wouldn't have been worth missing several days of my busy semester. I also didn't have the money, as it wasn't an expenses-paid win.

Made me so...fraking...mad. I never win ANYTHING but the one time I do I couldn't claim it. My girlfriend was disappointed as well because you get two tickets if you win and she knew she'd get to go as well.

Gen. Chris
March 13th, 2012, 10:11 AM
My copy is here in the city, and even in the university post office...But it hasn't been delivered to my mailbox yet :mad:. It's been here for over 24 hours already

Gen. Chris
March 13th, 2012, 12:09 PM
Ah, finally received it. The case is beautiful. Checked all the discs and they all look fine :D

Skydiver
March 13th, 2012, 05:10 PM
I was ready to smack mine...two slip covers to get to the discs :)

DigiFluid
March 13th, 2012, 05:15 PM
I was ready to smack mine...two slip covers to get to the discs :)
Heh...did you get the thin little Stark sigil slipcover too? Or was yours something else?

Skydiver
March 13th, 2012, 05:39 PM
mine was the plain one from amazon.
I have the 'no top, no bottom' slipcover, then the5 sided one that the disc book slips into. they just fit so snugly that I was afraid I'd tear it getting it open.

the one part that kinda bites, there's the little piece that's on the back that slips over the top, secured by the shrink wrap. Well now that the wrap is gone, there's nowhere to put it. I'd like to keep it intact, but it doesn't bode well for an unsecured bit of paper.

Gen. Chris
March 13th, 2012, 06:08 PM
mine was the plain one from amazon.
I have the 'no top, no bottom' slipcover, then the5 sided one that the disc book slips into. they just fit so snugly that I was afraid I'd tear it getting it open.

the one part that kinda bites, there's the little piece that's on the back that slips over the top, secured by the shrink wrap. Well now that the wrap is gone, there's nowhere to put it. I'd like to keep it intact, but it doesn't bode well for an unsecured bit of paper.

Slide it into the first "box" or second "box", if you know what I mean. It sticks with it.

Angela V
March 13th, 2012, 10:28 PM
A couple months back, I entered into a contest to see the red carpet premier of Psych season 6 in NYC. I did it for the heck of it, mainly cause I knew I wouldn't win and because I'm on the West Coast, so it wouldn't matter...

Sure enough, I won, one of 500 to do so. And also sure enough, I couldn't go. I would have been able to meet the cast and crew as well as gotten free stuff, but it wouldn't have been worth missing several days of my busy semester. I also didn't have the money, as it wasn't an expenses-paid win.

Made me so...fraking...mad. I never win ANYTHING but the one time I do I couldn't claim it. My girlfriend was disappointed as well because you get two tickets if you win and she knew she'd get to go as well.

Wow that fraked big time! Wait a minute! Psych is onto season 6? I remember watching it when it first came on in Canada and then it disappeared. I thought it was canceled.

Gen. Chris
March 14th, 2012, 10:47 AM
Wow that fraked big time! Wait a minute! Psych is onto season 6? I remember watching it when it first came on in Canada and then it disappeared. I thought it was canceled.

Nope. It is on season 6 and it has been confirmed for at least season 7.

Sp!der
March 29th, 2012, 10:18 AM
I'm gonna get my copy tommorow at my local store, I hope they have one left at ten in the morning :D

Gen. Chris
March 29th, 2012, 10:31 AM
I'm gonna get my copy tommorow at my local store, I hope they have one left at ten in the morning :D

Gonna try to get it all watched before the premier of season 2?

Sp!der
March 30th, 2012, 02:13 AM
Gonna try to get it all watched before the premier of season 2?

nah... I know the episodes by heart now I am gonna watch it with my folks though this week :D

The Mighty 6 platoon
March 30th, 2012, 06:46 AM
nah... I know the episodes by heart now I am gonna watch it with my folks though this week :D

That could get awkward. :P

Yay for lesbians and incest! :D

DigiFluid
March 30th, 2012, 07:55 AM
After I finished rewatching, I lent my copy to my parents because my dad was curious and my mum had read the first book. They enjoyed :D

Sp!der
March 30th, 2012, 08:08 AM
That could get awkward. :P

Yay for lesbians and incest! :D

My das insisted on watching it Because he read the Books and my mum isn't a fantasy fan anyway, when it comes down to these scenes I'm just getting a drink from the kitchen or smth :D but the first episode isn't that bad, I only worry about the lesbian scenes :D, I dont mind it myself but with my dad.... It surely can be awkward sometimes

Gen. Chris
March 30th, 2012, 12:07 PM
I once walked in to the living room with my dad watching one of the "special" shows on the cable channel. I walked out and walked back in LOUDER, asking if there was anything good on, and watched him quickly change the channel :P.

SaberBlade
April 13th, 2012, 08:53 AM
Just picked up the DVD boxset. I was considering Blu-ray, but cheap price was too tempting.

Oddly enough, when I went to take it to the checkout, the guy told me was in an episode as an extra. So I plan to try keeping an eye out for him.

Gen. Chris
April 13th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Just picked up the DVD boxset. I was considering Blu-ray, but cheap price was too tempting.

Oddly enough, when I went to take it to the checkout, the guy told me was in an episode as an extra. So I plan to try keeping an eye out for him.

Which episode? You should point him out if you find him.

SaberBlade
April 13th, 2012, 11:28 AM
Which episode? You should point him out if you find him.

He wasn't sure which one off hand, but knew it involved a horse getting it's head cut off and a duel/joust.

Gen. Chris
April 13th, 2012, 05:22 PM
He wasn't sure which one off hand, but knew it involved a horse getting it's head cut off and a duel/joust.

Ah, so that Hand's Tourney scenes.