PDA

View Full Version : which episode would you show your friends?

GuyInkognito
November 30th, 2011, 11:34 AM
which episode would you show to people who haven't seen stargate before, to make it interesting to them?
i would show thor's chariot from season 2, because this episode has it all: mythologies, a riddle like from an adventure-movie with something to learn (pi is 3.14159... :D), but also shootouts, aliens and a bit of spaceship-action.

themeatcleaver
November 30th, 2011, 12:34 PM
SG-1: Children of the Gods

It's essentially a sequel to the original movie. It introduces everybody and gives a very good idea of what the show is. A few cringe worthy lines aside, it was the perfect pilot.

SG-A: The Siege

I just think that the Siege of Atlantis is still one of the most beautiful things i've ever seen on film.

SG-U: Light or Awakening

I've seen Light at least six times and it never gets old. It's just a fantastic episode with great visuals, character interaction, and an absolutely outstanding score.

Awakening gets past all the character into's and into the really sweet alien stuff that everyone knows and loves. I'll miss the Ursini!

CMWriter
November 30th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Window of Opportunity. Hands-down. :P
"1969" is a fun one, too.

I'd probably stick to a good standalone episode in any case. Something not terribly serious. But you can always count on Jack to lighten any mood. Can't tell you how many times I've been on the verge of tears and then he'll say something just stupid and it makes me laugh so hard. :D

General Jumper One
November 30th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Every single episode :)

hedwig
November 30th, 2011, 05:47 PM
The Fifth Race or A Matter of Time.

SF_and_Coffee
November 30th, 2011, 06:23 PM
The Fifth Race or A Matter of Time.
Yay, someone else who picks two of my choices! :D

Gen. Chris
November 30th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Fifth Race would be good...

I showed Children of the Gods to my girlfriend but she didn't seem to like it. She has watched the show before, so I think her opinion was already set.

jelgate
November 30th, 2011, 06:51 PM
I don't think COTG is best episode just because its shaky and has a lot rough spots. The beginning of SG1 wasn't the greatest. I'd probably pick Tangnet

bookwormjules
November 30th, 2011, 07:47 PM
If it didn't contain so many spoilers - Heroes Pts 1 and 2. Otherwise Fifth Race or Solitudes for SG1. Although Avalon pts 1 and 2 would be good choice, especially for fans of Arthruain Legend.

For Atlantis Poisoning the Well

SF_and_Coffee
November 30th, 2011, 08:30 PM
I like Arthurian legend, but not the way SG did it.

Quizziard
November 30th, 2011, 09:34 PM
SG-1: Children of the Gods

It's essentially a sequel to the original movie. It introduces everybody and gives a very good idea of what the show is. A few cringe worthy lines aside, it was the perfect pilot.

Out of interest, the original TV version or the DVD version? In the UK, there were almost eight minutes cut from the original (I believe for nudity and symbiote "burrowing"), though later reinstated for DVD. Interestingly, the "current" version is still almost five minutes short of that longest version (and one age rating lower...).

mamageek
December 1st, 2011, 12:06 AM
I had to figure this out recently, actually! A good friend of mine had watched seasons 9 and 10 (she's a Farscape fan, lol) and liked them, but she watched the first six episodes of season one and gave up, saying she didn't like it. I worked at her and finally convinced her to watch "Divide and Conquer" and "Window of Opportunity" with me and they went over well.

My next plan is to have her watch 1969, I think it'll appeal to her.

bookwormjules
December 1st, 2011, 03:08 AM
I don;t think I'd show COTG - any cut, to a first time viewer. It doesn't show the strength of the show or the characters. Good introduction with important information, but not an episode to get you hooked.

What was your first episode you watched? Did a friend introduce you, or were you hooked from day one?

CMWriter
December 1st, 2011, 08:52 AM
I don;t think I'd show COTG - any cut, to a first time viewer. It doesn't show the strength of the show or the characters. Good introduction with important information, but not an episode to get you hooked.

What was your first episode you watched? Did a friend introduce you, or were you hooked from day one?

I think I would show CotG to someone who was familiar with the film and was perhaps curious as to "what happens next?" I must say that it was fun to watch the film with Russell and Spader and then directly after that rewatch the pilot of the series. In fact I kind of regret not watching the film (and actually paying attention) before seeing CotG.

And to answer your question, I started Stargate completely on a whim. There wasn't really anything on TV this fall that I wanted to watch regularly (except for Fringe and some shows on USA Network) and I wanted a new sci-fi to get into. Season One was sitting on the DVD shelf at the local library, so I just picked it up and gave SG-1 a whirl.

mamageek
December 1st, 2011, 09:24 AM

COTG. Now, I wasn't hooked from day one, exactly, because I just started watching it a couple of days ago. But I typically HATE watching things out of order so when I started watching SG-1, I started at the beginning.

That said it took me several episodes to really get hooked on it.

SF_and_Coffee
December 1st, 2011, 09:34 AM
Well, I've introduced a few people to SG, and I generally do it by showing them the original Devlin/Emmerich film and then progressing directly on to (the original cut of) COTG. From there I continue as far through Season 1 as we can get in a marathon before everyone is overloaded. Doing it that way seems to hook my friends on the storyline, and after that, things take care of themselves. :D

Quizziard
December 1st, 2011, 10:05 AM

Saw the movie, watched the series when it began on terrestrial in the UK. Continued on DVD when terrestrial stopped showing it. For Atlantis it was DVD. For SGU it was iTunes and then DVD...

CMWriter
December 1st, 2011, 10:09 AM
COTG. Now, I wasn't hooked from day one, exactly, because I just started watching it a couple of days ago. But I typically HATE watching things out of order so when I started watching SG-1, I started at the beginning.

That said it took me several episodes to really get hooked on it.

I may have started my blog on the series a few months ago but I still remember my first impressions. Like you, it took a while for me to get hooked. Well, okay, no, I was pretty much glued by the end of "The Enemy Within", but it wasn't until about halfway through I had warmed up to all the characters.

mamageek
December 1st, 2011, 11:21 AM
I may have started my blog on the series a few months ago but I still remember my first impressions. Like you, it took a while for me to get hooked. Well, okay, no, I was pretty much glued by the end of "The Enemy Within", but it wasn't until about halfway through I had warmed up to all the characters.

Whoops, just realised my total mistype, lol. I started watching it a couple of MONTHS ago. Otherwise I'd be seriously impressed at my talents, since I'm part way through season seven. LOL

themeatcleaver
December 1st, 2011, 01:49 PM

First I saw the movie and then sporadically watched SG-1 when it started on syfy starting with cotg and i can vividly remember the torment of tantalus. I got away from it for a while and only got back into it, oddly enough, with Stargate Universe. I havent been able to stop watching since!

fems
December 1st, 2011, 02:25 PM
Hardly any of my friends are into science fiction, but I told the ones that are they should watch the show because it's great and gave them a brief summary of its concept. They started with the pilot and somewhere along the line in season one they got hooked too.

I first watched the show when it originally aired in my country when I was still a little girl and I don't recall if it was by chance, if I'd seen commercials or read about it in the TV guide but the pilot was the first episode I watched. I immediately liked it and continued to watch the show when it was on. I think it was after season six or seven that I sort of lost track of it (probably when they started doing re-runs) and then came across it one day a few years ago and re-watched all the episodes I'd already seen and the new ones, until I reached season ten which was still airing at the time. Didn't like season nine and ten very much, but I watched them and even tried out Atlantis and SGU's pilot but never got hooked on those.

Reseph(Shed)
December 1st, 2011, 02:47 PM
My story is somewhat like Fems, although ironically on the original airing in summer of 1997 we had a family reunion and I actually slept through the first episode (not because Stargate was boring, it wasn't) because I was sleepy from the ride home. It was actually my dad who asked me to tape it when it came on the next week. I remembered bits and pieces of Share and Skaara and what happened to them but since I fell asleep I didn't get to see whether they were rescued or not.

When I did in fact tape the episode the next week I was hooked, the main reason being that when I watch something like that and it feels unresolved (which it did to me), I felt I had to watch to see what became of the situation and if they would ever rescue them. That along with the way that it seemed to expand on the movie (which I also liked) and on mythology were two of the main reasons I was hooked. So I am not sure which episode I would show a friend, but the thing is I think if they were a fan of the movie, then it's more likely that they would be a fan of the series. It helped a lot with the transition at least one actor (two we find out later) from the movie had a part in the series, and it also helped that imo they did a good job on casting Daniel and Jack O'Neill even if they weren't the same actors in the movie.

It's not everyday that a series based on a movie with a bunch of new actors does so well. Buffy the Vampire slayer for example was another show that did that well, but then again the 1992 Buffy movie was so campy that it almost had no other direction to go but up. I guess to get back to the point, I'd like to show them something near the beginning so they wouldn't have to go back and rewatch later. Oddly I did that with Buffy so while it was a good show I hated ultimately knowing some of the outcomes beforehand.

And Just to add, I do remember the week for it that there was an ad on our local TV guide cover and we watched Showtime so we saw the ads there as well. And also to add, yeah I'm an airman now. I can fly...... but I dare not go outside and try.

JanineGrant2
December 2nd, 2011, 11:11 PM
I would show Children of the Gods, followed by Upgrades, and Thor's Hammer

djackson1234
December 3rd, 2011, 04:16 PM
Window of Oppurtunity!!!

CMWriter
December 4th, 2011, 05:29 PM
I showed my friend (who hours before had stated that he HATED sci-fi and would NEVER watch Stargate with me EVER) "Window of Opportunity" and...
...he liked it.
And I mean really liked it. :D He got a real kick out of every time it would re-loop and Jack would find himself eating Froot Loops.. again... and the "golfing through the Stargate"... and when Teal'c slams the door back on the airman. :P It was pretty great.

It's a really good one to watch with a friend because you don't need a whole lot of background knowledge on the series to understand and enjoy it.

shipper hannah
December 5th, 2011, 07:17 AM
My two best friends.. none. I know for a fact they wouldn't watch it.

One is only interested in romcoms and the other only in serious artsy stuff.

My other friends who are vaguely interested in scifi, I might make them watch it at some point as they keep making me watch The Gilmore Girls and I'm getting sick of it.

CMWriter
December 5th, 2011, 09:03 AM
My two best friends.. none. I know for a fact they wouldn't watch it.

One is only interested in romcoms and the other only in serious artsy stuff.

My other friends who are vaguely interested in scifi, I might make them watch it at some point as they keep making me watch The Gilmore Girls and I'm getting sick of it.

Aww! You should propose some kind of trade. That's what I did with the aforementioned friend... He agrees to watch a couple episodes of SG-1; I watch a couple of Trigun with him. So if there's ever a series any of your friends want you to get into, just pull out the quid pro quo card. ;D

shipper hannah
December 5th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Aww! You should propose some kind of trade. That's what I did with the aforementioned friend... He agrees to watch a couple episodes of SG-1; I watch a couple of Trigun with him. So if there's ever a series any of your friends want you to get into, just pull out the quid pro quo card. ;D

I managed to get one friend (the romcom friend) to watch an episode of The X Files (Bad Blood) in trade for an episode of her show. That was a push.