Alternate realities.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternate realities.

So alternate realities occur in the same time frame relative to each other, which means the speed of the passage of time is all the same, but there's something I don't get. In "Ripple Effect", Cameron uttered those famous words "Hey, Mitchell, when the time comes, cut the green one". Now, you know about the fork in the road stuff, things in all realities moved along exactly the same until a fork in the road, where something happened different. So, why would Alt. Mitchell say that since it "allegedly" has happened to him but not to our Mitchell. I mean, time moves in the same pace in both realities, not that Alt. Mitchell was from the future on anything, so that would mean that our Mitchell never has and most likely never will find himself in the "cut the green one" situation, because of the fork in the road. And also, how did Alt. Mitchell even know that our Mitchell hasn't been in his situation. He said "cut the green one", like he knows it hasn't happened to him yet, but if it actually had, it should have happened at the exact same time it did for Alt. Mitchell.

Maybe it depends on the major events in the alternate timeline. If AltMitchell's timeline started the Stargate Program earlier, maybe all events happened earlier too so he's already done some of the missions our SG-1 still has to do?
    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by CompanionCube View Post
      So alternate realities occur in the same time frame relative to each other, which means the speed of the passage of time is all the same, but there's something I don't get. In "Ripple Effect", Cameron uttered those famous words "Hey, Mitchell, when the time comes, cut the green one". Now, you know about the fork in the road stuff, things in all realities moved along exactly the same until a fork in the road, where something happened different. So, why would Alt. Mitchell say that since it "allegedly" has happened to him but not to our Mitchell. I mean, time moves in the same pace in both realities, not that Alt. Mitchell was from the future on anything, so that would mean that our Mitchell never has and most likely never will find himself in the "cut the green one" situation, because of the fork in the road. And also, how did Alt. Mitchell even know that our Mitchell hasn't been in his situation. He said "cut the green one", like he knows it hasn't happened to him yet, but if it actually had, it should have happened at the exact same time it did for Alt. Mitchell.
      Most likely, the alternate Mitchell was messing around with the prime Mitchell. You're reading too much into this.

Comment

Major events don't always happen at the same time in every universe. We see the "invasion of Earth" happen at three different times in three different universes. In season 1, Daniel goes to an alternate dimension in "There But For the Grace of God" where the Goa'uld invade Earth. He goes home and they manage to stop the same invasion in "Within the Serpent's Grasp"/"The Serpent's Lair." And then we see the same sort of invasion, seemingly the same one according to Alt-Sam and Kawalsky take place in another universe during season three's "Point of View."

Point being, it may have been something important that alt-Cam had already ran into and determined that Cam hadn't, so he was warning him.
        http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/4574/dontblinkgc5.jpg

Comment

in the time between Mitchell joining SG1 and Ripple effect, an unimaginably large amount of particles have altered their states/.

changes happen. really only 1 change would need to happen for this to be true. if Cam and SG1 went to check out planet X in stead of planet Y like our own SG1, an infinite amount of possibilities open up for the universes to differ.

simply put, it's the butterfly effect. a really tiny change could alter the timeline of another universe entirely.

Major events don't always happen at the same time in every universe.
          no. if the event happens a bit later, it's not the same event. Earth was invaded in alternate realities on various occasions by various people under various circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by CompanionCube View Post
            It's possible the alternate Cam gave the message because he recognized similar events that lead up to the one he was referring to.
            I don't think he was screwing with the prime Cam. And time doesn't necessarily move at the same time. Some realities are vastly different because of the impact of certain events. In an alternate reality, in the Stargate universe it is possible there could be realities infected by a time dilation device to speed up time. Basically anything and everything could happen in the realities. It's also possible prime Cam may never face the green wire, and it was just a warning. I'm guessing it's a life or death event, and the alt Cam was making sure, Prime Cam would get through it.
            Oh for a book and a shady nook ~ Jules' Book Reviews - my book review site.

Comment

Working...
            X