Future of "The Clone Wars" speculation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Future of "The Clone Wars" speculation

I guess it's getting late enough in the series' run that we can start speculating as to what the future of the series will be.

Now, George Lucas said way back in 2007 that there would be at least 100 episodes produced. The man is notorious for backtracking on his own words, but given that Season 4 will end at 88 episodes (plus the four that were adapted into the movie), it's a fair bet that his statement will come true. But what does this mean in terms of production?

If you look at the show's episode production numbers (as opposed to the airing order), every season so far has been a 26 episode order of production. That is to say, everything produced under Season 1 (including 22 episodes and the 4 adapted into the movie) spanned 1.01-1.26 in production terms. But it didn't stop there. Season 2 also spanned 2.01-2.26. And the first episodes of Season 4 so far are following the same pattern, continuing up into the high 3.## area; the third part of the Mon Cal arc, "Prisoners"--airing order episode 4.03--was production number 3.24, for example. Matter of fact, none of the episodes aired so far this year have been produced under the 4.## production code.

So what does that mean for the future? Will they simply decide at some point to stop producing in 26-episode batches? The only way the 26/22s are ever going to line up at the same time is if the show runs for 14 seasons, and I think we can all agree that that just isn't in the cards. Or maybe at some point down the line, could we possibly see another feature-length production released either as DVD or theatrically?

Thinking ahead even a bit more, if the show ends with a fifth and final season--is that it? They spent five years building up this wonderful library of visual assets and advancing CGI animation, and they're just going to push it aside never to be used again? I wonder--even after the series on TV comes to an end, could we see periodic releases in TCW style. Maybe as direct-to-DVD movies, or even the odd miniseries. Could be interesting.

In terms of in-universe, I'm really hoping the show continues its trend toward darkness. I know that could make it harder to market to younger audiences, but creatively I think it's been a terrific way to take the show so far. And the war really doesn't stay pretty if you've followed any of the EU material. Some of that would be really amazing to see played out on the show.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

I think "at least 100" episodes doesn't mean it will end after 100. Eventually they will have to end the war/lead into Episode III but if the ratings/DVD/Blu-ray sales are strong enough to keep them happy they could always try milking it for another season or two.

Eventually it will have to end so I think that perhaps it's time for them to consider using animation instead of live action for the III-IV series, but until then they could always extend the Clone Wars by doing more episodes focusing on characters that have gotten less attention.

Having overlapping seasons could work. I think Season five for example could take place and involve heavy use Anakin, Ashoka, Obi-Wan, Padme and the general filler episodes (Domino Squad, Jar Jar, the Droids) then season six could be set during the same time period but focusing on Yoda, Mace, Aayla, Plo, Fisto. Same basic concept of SG1 and SGA when they aired at the same time, but done using a single series.
    Last edited by SaberBlade; 22 October 2011, 01:10 AM.

sigpic

Comment

That's a neat idea. Not too far removed from what they're doing now, but a bit of a different tack from the show so far. Would definitely be interesting to see.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

And we're all still waiting for the 100th episode where Ahsoka Tano
        A-Gets killed by someone.
        B-Turns to the Dark side and gets killed or hides and becomes and Expanded Universe book.
        C-Vanishes to another galaxy where no one will ever find her.
        "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Working...
        X