My First Time Through Farscape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My First Time Through Farscape

There seems to be a couple of these at the moment, but here's mine.

If you haven't come across one of these threads before, I plan to go through Farscape episodes for the first time and post my thoughts on them. I currently have season 1 on DVD, I'll decide when I get to the end whether or not I want season 2.

I have watched the following episodes, please do not spoil outside of them in this thread (will be updated):

Spoiler:

Season 1 - all
    Season 2
    Mind the Baby
    Vitas Mortis
    Taking the Stone
    Crackers Don't Matter
    The Way We Weren't
    Picture if you Will
    Home on the Remains
    Dream a Little Dream
    Out of their Minds
    My Three Crichtons
    Look at the Princess:
    Part 1 - A Kiss is But a Kiss
    Part 2 - I do, I think
    Part 3 - The Maltese Crichton

Premiere

This episode was fairly weird, I'm not sure what to think of it.

I find John's reaction to his situation a little bit too unbelievable, he accepts it too easily. He walks onto the bridge and sees the blue woman and the guy with the beard (they shall be known as this until I learn their names) and just says something to the effect "What the hell's going on?". He later deduces he was sent through a wormhole to God knows where and has it's unlikely he'll get back. Even if he's in denial and hasn't realised he might not return to his life on Earth he should have been very confused and had a lot of difficulty accepting everything. Maybe they just wanted to get on with the story but it felt a bit rushed to me, they could have really done with a part 2.
    Perhaps a more realistic reaction to his situation would be to have a panic attack, which might not make very interesting TV, but what would have made interesting TV is at least some kind of reaction rather than "oh, I've been sent through a wormhole and here are some aliens...ok". I think of "There But For the Grace of God" where Daniel is, very understandably, quite confused by his situation. The way Crichton reacts you'd think that he was sent through a wormhole to a different part of the Universe just last month (meh, maybe he's secretly Cam Mitchell).

The conversation between the blue woman and the bearded guy near the start was a bit hard to follow being unfamiliar with the Farscape universe. Though I think I got the general gist, I'm not sure if should have been included right at the start, at least get your audience to understand what's going on.

I liked the humour in it, especially the helium fart. Aeryn and John seem like interesting characters

When they first translated the alien speech into English, it seemed it was dubbed in English (which would make sense). Was this intentional? It didn't happen for the rest of it so I wonder if it was just my DVD player acting up at that time.

Also, what year was the start set in? I get the impression it was the near future (from 1999) but is the year specified?

Throne for a Loss
    When this first came on I felt it didn't follow on very well from episode 1, the crew seem to have developed relationships off camera. Then I checked the wiki page for the episode order and realised why, the DVD (and broadcast) order is messed up. I had just watched episode 4. I can understand why the broadcast order would be messed up? But why the DVD? How are you supposed to know what order to watch them in w/o checking online. Another confusing thing is that while this is actually 4, it was 3 in broadcast order and then they go ahead and put it on 2 on the DVD. (I have UK region 2 DVDs). From now I'll trust you guys/wikipedia

Order mess up aside, this episode was fairly fun. Rygel provides good comic relief, though I can see that he might get annoying after a while. The action was good too and I liked how they reacted to the arm thingies. The sub plot involving the attacker and the blue woman was a little bit odd, she's creepy.

Unrelated to the episodes, is this the kind of show you need to watch episode after episode (like 24) or can you just watch random episodes from time to time. Episode 4 seems to imply the latter. I ask because my girlfriend may want to watch it with me from time to time, and we need to know whether I can just watch them myself and she'll occasionally join me, or whether should she watch the whole season to understand it. (If she needs to watch it all and decides to then these updates will be very infrequent)

I'll try and at least one or two episodes a week, but no promises.
    Last edited by Jedi_Master_Bra'tac; 17 June 2012, 06:31 AM.
    Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

A little of both. S1 you can pop in any order before Nerve. The following seasons really need to be in order
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

I really hope you end up enjoying the wild Farscape ride.
      sigpic
      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
      "...phu...ah..."
      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Hope you decide to watch the whole series. Imo it was one of the best original scifi series ever. Enjoy

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Bra'tac View Post
          Unrelated to the episodes, is this the kind of show you need to watch episode after episode (like 24) or can you just watch random episodes from time to time. Episode 4 seems to imply the latter. I ask because my girlfriend may want to watch it with me from time to time, and we need to know whether I can just watch them myself and she'll occasionally join me, or whether should she watch the whole season to understand it. (If she needs to watch it all and decides to then these updates will be very infrequent)

I'll try and at least one or two episodes a week, but no promises.
          There are some episodes that are stand alone and you can watch at random. The show is more arc based than SG-1 though, so a lot of the episodes play off events that happened previously even though they are not directly mentioned in the episode. And of course there are the episodes that are 2 or even 3 parters. The best way to watch is episode by episode, but if you choose the right one that is stand alone than it is enjoyable as well - you just gotta know which those are.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
            There are some episodes that are stand alone and you can watch at random. The show is more arc based than SG-1 though, so a lot of the episodes play off events that happened previously even though they are not directly mentioned in the episode. And of course there are the episodes that are 2 or even 3 parters. The best way to watch is episode by episode, but if you choose the right one that is stand alone than it is enjoyable as well - you just gotta know which those are.
            Crackers Don't Matter
            Jelgate is right

Comment

Glad to see you enjoying Farscape. The blue lady's P'au Zotoh Zhaan, usually known as Zhaan, and the bearded guy with the tentacles on his head is Ka D'Argo, usually called D'Argo.

Don't worry, it took me a while before I could write those down without looking them up too!
              sigpic

Comment

A few random things while I remember:

I like the pronunciation of "Sun" in Aeryn Sun because they use the northern English "U" (ipa: ? eg foot, good, full, woman), ie it's the way I would say the word "sun" (as in the star 8 light minutes away). They put slightly more emphasis on the vowel than I would (maybe as a result of deliberately differentiating it with respect to the normal kind of "sun"), but I think if you went further north in England (I'm from the midlands) you'll start here people pronounces their Us with as much emphasis.

Compared with my bulky SG-1 sets (I'm not opting for the smaller versions as that'll mean buying the DVDs again), the Farscape set is very efficient with it's DVD packing.

The music in this a little odd, it's gonna take getting used to before I can decide whether or not I like it. The first episode used music extensively (it seemed to be playing all the time), and at times it was quite cheesy and a bit annoying. Luckily they stopped this for the next episode

Comment

Yeah. For some reason they changed the broadcast order in the UK, but it's only for the first few episodes and a random episode later on.

I really liked the mangled speech effect in the first episode, and using bacteria as translators is a new one too.

BTW, I'd recommend posting the next episode wherever it happens to fit in the thread rather than editing the first post, otherwise people may miss them and at some point you'll run out of space in your post.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post

BTW, I'd recommend posting the next episode wherever it happens to fit in the thread rather than editing the first post, otherwise people may miss them and at some point you'll run out of space in your post.
                    That's what I plan to do. I meant I'd edit what was the episodes in the spoiler tag so people would know where I was and what episodes they could spoil. The first 2 episodes are in the first post because I watched them both together

Comment

Premiere was nice ep.
                      I don't know if this is true, but Rygel seems to get younger and younger as the series goes on. I know it's the puppets but it's strange.
                      "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Sorry for the lack of updates, these should get more frequent from now on

I, E.T.

I really liked this episode. As it was the actual episode 2, it was more satisfying as an episode 2 than Throne for a Loss. Aeryn's regret about helping John and realising she's now working against the peacekeepers and John's reaction to being on a Louisiana/Dagobah type planet (was it his first earth type planet?) were nice touches.

The concept of the ship being alive is cool. I have a few question about this (that'll no doubt be answered later on, or by you guys), by "alive" does that mean the ship is born or does it mean it's simply mechanical and sentient? If it is born does each Leviathan come with it's own pilot, ie do the Leviathans have a symbiotic relation with the pilot's kind?

Am I right in thinking that the inhabitants of the planet shouldn't have been able to speak English as they don't have the translator things? It doesn't really matter it's sci fi but I'm just wondering on a point of continuity.

Rygel ate a bit of Aeryn's arm.... ewww

Another thing I liked was John's relationship with the inhabitants. It was interesting to see their reactions to him and how he related to them.

This episodes also gave me a few hints of those infamous Farscape swear words

Also I'm looking ahead on the DVD order and Wikipedia's and have to ask WHY THE FRELL ARE THEY SO DIFFERENT? Why couldn't the DVD just get it right?
                        Last edited by Jedi_Master_Bra'tac; 04 November 2011, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Bra'tac View Post
                          Sorry for the lack of updates, these should get more frequent from now on

I, E.T.

I really liked this episode. As it was the actual episode 2, it was more satisfying as an episode 2 than Throne for a Loss. Aeryn's regret about helping John and realising she's now working against the peacekeepers and John's reaction to being on a Louisiana/Dagobah type planet (was it his first earth type planet?) were nice touches.

The concept of the ship being alive is cool. I have a few question about this (that'll no doubt be answered later on, or by you guys), by "alive" does that mean the ship is born or does it mean it's simply mechanical and sentient? If it is born does each Leviathan come with it's own pilot, ie do the Leviathans have a symbiotic relation with the pilot's kind?

Am I right in thinking that the inhabitants of the planet shouldn't have been able to speak English as they don't have the translator things? It doesn't really matter it's sci fi but I'm just wondering on a point of continuity.

Rygel ate a bit of Aeryn's arm.... ewww

Another thing I liked was John's relationship with the inhabitants. It was interesting to see their reactions to him and how he related to them.

This episodes also gave me a few hints of those infamous Farscape swear words

Also I'm looking ahead on the DVD order and Wikipedia's and have to ask WHY THE FRELL ARE THEY SO DIFFERENT? Why couldn't the DVD just get it right?
                          Moya is fully biologically. If functions and acts like a living organism with people able to live inside it. Levithan ships can reproduce and create Levithian ships that you will see later one. The Pilots have thier own planet. Not all Pilots get to run Levithian ships but the species can't travel in space unless attached to a Levithian ship like Moya. So for example Moya is run more efficently with Pilot then if Pilot was absent. In return Pilot gets to travel in space and explore.

Its a little point of discontunity as translator microbes make it so John and the Moya crew can comprehend other languages and not the other way around.
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

We're trying not to spoil JMB here.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
                              We're trying not to spoil JMB here.
                              I don't think its much a spoiler as I left out context
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                              X