X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Mentalists (707)

Episode Synopsis:
    Originally posted by TV Guide
    Sam and Dean investigate when an angry spirit murders mediums in the so-called most psychic town in America. But the two have trouble locating the medium who is controlling the homicidal ghost.
    Original Air Date 11/04/2011
    The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

The Mentalists (Season 7, Episode 7)

This story had very much humour, both light-hearted social satire about psychics, and grim schadenfreude about grisly and outlandish deaths. Also, I was happy to see Sam and Dean's argument sewed up and finished with a few interspersed moments of dialogue and very little angst.

I had fun remembering the Doctor Who story about the psychic convention, Shadow of the Scourge, with the Seventh, new Ace and Benny.

9/10

Comment

Don't go to towns with names that end in ...'dale', something weird always happens!!!

This was an entertaining episode, love the idea of there being real psychic and ghostly goings on alongside the hockey ones!!!

I too am glad that the boys sorted out their differences over past lies and deceit, the angst was getting a bit tiresome. I prefer to see them getting on with working together and kicking evil backsides Winchester style!!!

Comment

I really enjoyed this episode. It had an almost 'Season 1' feel to it - snarky Dean, brooding Sam, ghosts, digging up graves, salt'n'burns, saving people and not leaving town before they're safe... plus a message from ELLEN from the great beyond! It was just weird that they were driving around in this beat-up Dodge. It's been a week and a half since the last episode, are we seriously supposed to believe Dean didn't get around to pick up his baby? Or are they still lying low because it would connect them to their alternates?

The only complaint I have is that they're seriously overdoing the gore this season. I'm probably the minority since I'm watching the show IN SPITE of the horror, not FOR it. And I've gotten used to seeing slit throats etc that instantly faded to black. But to zoom into this kind of stuff, and have the camera linger to catch the blood spilling - no thanks.

sigpic
        Check out my SGA and Fringe fanfics on fanfiction.net

Comment

I really enjoyed this episode. I can't wait to watch it again, this time with my wife.
          sigpic
          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
          "...phu...ah..."
          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by starg8fans View Post
            The only complaint I have is that they're seriously overdoing the gore this season. I'm probably the minority since I'm watching the show IN SPITE of the horror, not FOR it. And I've gotten used to seeing slit throats etc that instantly faded to black. But to zoom into this kind of stuff, and have the camera linger to catch the blood spilling - no thanks.
            In a show like this one, I expect buckets of blood. I have to admit I laughed merrily when each psychic met his imaginative fate.

Comment

I enjoyed this ep.

Originally posted by starg8fans View Post
              They've always overdone the gore for the most part, imo, but this season has really kicked it up a notch. I find most of it silly which is what I think they are going for mostly rather than a total gross out. I've found myself laughing at most of it this season. I do think they could tone it down though as that aspect is certainly not why I watch the show.
              IMO always implied.

Comment

A good episode...but the "forgive and forget" scene with Dean and Sam seemed to happen too quickly.
                sigpic

Comment

So it was new writers Ben Acker and Ben Blacker for this weeks ep. and they really did their homework on the show and the characters. I was pleasantly surprised how they treated the trouble between Sam and Dean.

Sam had been AWOL for a week and a half and obviously still totally pissed off with Dean when they met up. It did seem a bit quick to have Sam forgive him by the end of the ep. but I suppose to have it drag on for weeks wouldn't be good either. I really liked how they did resolve it though. Using the psychic siblings and their issues to rub it in how harmful it would be for them if they didn't open up to each other. And having Ellen sending a message to Dean to give him a push into doing just that was a nice surprise.

Although I really enjoyed the whole ep. I have a small gripe. If this ghost hunt had taken place in say Season 2 I wouldn't have thought anything of it. It would have been fine. But both of them have had so much experience dealing with crazy ghosts and monsters and things not being what they seem so I can't see why they would have made the mistake of not thinking about which sister was causing the killings. They didn't even think about it when they should have. Although I suppose they did have other issues bugging them.

@Stars I'm thinking that the reason Dean wasn't driving the Impala was twofold. He didn't bother getting it because he didn't have the heart to be in it without Sam, as well of thinking it would be wiser to keep as low a profile as possible. Maybe we'll find out later.

I'm the same as you, I also watch the show in spite of the horror, not because of it. Although I've become a bit de-sensitised to it. Not sure that's a good thing! It makes me wonder who's responsible for the increase. I think the writers/directors they keep pushing what they can get away with. I know Ben Edlund said he was surprised when the Networks allowed some of the gory bits in his ep My Bloody Valentine because he didn't think they would.

Great seeing Walter from Stargate.

Loved Sam's granite face as Dean chats away to him in the diner. All the dialogue was great. And funny.

The waiter to Dean: You're a virile manifestation of the divine.

Sam: He broke my spoon

It was great though to have them smiling in the end scene and talking over the not!Impala. Dean opened up a smidgeon but I can't believe that he's not got more secrets gnawing at him. Time will tell.
                  sigpic

Comment

They should do an episode where Ellen haunts Dean just to **** with him

Comment

Originally posted by JackO'Neill View Post
                      They should do an episode where Ellen haunts Dean just to **** with him
                      that would be hilarious!
                      sigpic

Comment

I loved the episode except for Sam saying that Dean was right in killing Amy, because I totally disagree with that

I loved all the pyschics, they were tons of fun
                        sigpic
                        Sig by Everlovin My YT|My other vid site|My LJ|My Photobucket|My ImageShack|"Stargate is life, Sam and Jack are happiness, Shippers are almighty" by hlndncr

Comment

Originally posted by LizzieAnne View Post

Great seeing Walter from Stargate.
                          Oh yeah Walter! I forgot about him. Took him long enough to pop up on SPN.
                          IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836 View Post
                            Oh yeah Walter! I forgot about him. Took him long enough to pop up on SPN.
                            It was really nice to see him again.
                            sigpic
                            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                            "...phu...ah..."
                            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Working...
                            X