PDA

View Full Version : Who reads the comic too?

the fifth man
October 19th, 2011, 07:20 PM
So, who is also into The Walking Dead comic? Also, which did you get into first - the comic, or the show?

For me, I saw the first few episodes of the show first. I liked what I saw, so I decided to check out the comics. After the first few issues, I was hooked. In the time since Season 1 of the show ended, I have completely caught up with the comic.

If they end up using even a fraction of the storylines from the comics in the TV show, we are in for a real treat IMO.:)

DigiFluid
October 19th, 2011, 08:00 PM
I'm still meaning to! I've been 'getting' them ever since the show started with the intention of reading every last one, but I haven't even gotten started yet :o

the fifth man
October 20th, 2011, 07:28 PM
I really don't think you will regret picking them up. With me, once I started reading them, I couldn't stop. I would read, on average, about 10 comics a day.

Teddybrown
October 22nd, 2011, 04:13 PM
I started on the shows, where can I see these comics?
I need to see the webisodes too!

the fifth man
October 22nd, 2011, 09:46 PM
I started on the shows, where can I see these comics?
I need to see the webisodes too!

You can buy them online, or pick up the early volumes at most comic shops I am sure. There have been 85+ issues released thus far.

LoneStar1836
October 23rd, 2011, 09:24 AM
I still plan on getting the compendium (http://www.amazon.com/Walking-Dead-Compendium-One/dp/1607060760). Eventually.

the fifth man
October 23rd, 2011, 07:32 PM
I still plan on getting the compendium (http://www.amazon.com/Walking-Dead-Compendium-One/dp/1607060760). Eventually.

Nice little collection of the comics there, that is for sure.

DigiFluid
November 23rd, 2011, 10:06 AM
Started reading them yesterday finally. Enjoying things so far! Amazing how faithful the first few episodes of the show were to the comic. So needless to say, when a certain someone died in the comic who is still alive and well in the show, I was quite shocked.

I just finished reading up to where episode 2.01 ends. Going to be continuing in just a few minutes, this is good stuff! :)

the fifth man
November 23rd, 2011, 09:30 PM
I am glad you decided to give the comics a shot, Digifluid. Enjoy the wild ride.:)

DigiFluid
November 24th, 2011, 06:26 AM
:indeed:

I said I'd get to it. It's only taken me a year :p

Yesterday I finished off the Safety Behind Bars story arc. Neat stuff--and more to the point, if AMC is going to screw with the show to make it less outdoorsy, this seems like it would be a pretty good story to tackle next.

the fifth man
November 25th, 2011, 08:56 PM
:indeed:

I said I'd get to it. It's only taken me a year :p

Yesterday I finished off the Safety Behind Bars story arc. Neat stuff--and more to the point, if AMC is going to screw with the show to make it less outdoorsy, this seems like it would be a pretty good story to tackle next.

I personally do see that coming in Season 3.

the fifth man
January 26th, 2012, 08:04 PM
Has anyone here been reading the comics as of late? Things have been really good lately. I just read #93 last night.

DigiFluid
January 27th, 2012, 05:42 AM
Still keeping up :)

I have 93 on my USB stick; planning to read it here at work sometime today :D

the fifth man
February 4th, 2012, 07:31 PM
It was a great issue. I can't wait for #94.

DigiFluid
February 4th, 2012, 07:47 PM
I only just got to it yesterday. Good stuff, but I miss being able to blow through tons of it at a time! This month-to-month business is brutal :S

I'm very interested to see where the new arc goes. I like how you can see how deeply the business with the Governor affected Rick and how it's affecting how he's reacting to what might be the best news they've had since the apocalypse.

Pharaoh Atem
February 11th, 2012, 09:01 PM
thanks to steve jobs i am able to read the comics on my ipad. so much darker and i love it for that

Pharaoh Atem
February 11th, 2012, 09:30 PM
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-walking-dead/id395985060?mt=8

the fifth man
February 12th, 2012, 10:10 AM
I only just got to it yesterday. Good stuff, but I miss being able to blow through tons of it at a time! This month-to-month business is brutal :S

I'm very interested to see where the new arc goes. I like how you can see how deeply the business with the Governor affected Rick and how it's affecting how he's reacting to what might be the best news they've had since the apocalypse.

That is very true, and it is a smart way for him to act. It is much better to be prepared for the worst in their case. Especially based on past encounters with other groups.

Care
March 20th, 2012, 06:15 AM
I started the comics before the show. But I knew the show was coming out and after the first episode I loved it so much I stopped reading them. I think I was at 13 Rick had just killed Shane.

Since the show changes things up, I might start them up again. I didn't want the show to be ruined for me, but I was still surprised by a lot of what happened.

mr_kennedy
March 20th, 2012, 06:06 PM
I want to start reading the comics, especially while the shows on hiatus

DigiFluid
March 20th, 2012, 06:12 PM
Very, very highly recommended, mate. I had planned to after Season 1 and didn't get around to it till the mid-Season 2 hiatus. Was kicking myself the whole time and since then too.

The comics are amazing. And as much as I like the show--it's a pale shadow of what the comics are.

the fifth man
March 20th, 2012, 06:37 PM
Very, very highly recommended, mate. I had planned to after Season 1 and didn't get around to it till the mid-Season 2 hiatus. Was kicking myself the whole time and since then too.

The comics are amazing. And as much as I like the show--it's a pale shadow of what the comics are.

I personally wouldn't say a "pale shadow". I think both the show and the comic are amazing in their own ways. I like the differences between the two.

DigiFluid
March 20th, 2012, 06:43 PM
Oh I'm quite comfortable saying it. I do really enjoy the show, even in spite of its endless nose-to-nose whisper-fights. It's good solid stuff. It's just that the comic is so fantastic--such amazing source material--that the show just can't live up. No fault of the show's at all.

the fifth man
March 20th, 2012, 06:49 PM
The comic is definitely amazing. That wait between issues each month is such torture, isn't it?

DigiFluid
March 20th, 2012, 06:51 PM
It is! When I was reading #94 I just about spat my drink out when I realized I'd hit the end and had to wait another month :lol:

Fortunately this month we got a little reprieve with the bonus one-shot Michonne backstory!

the fifth man
March 21st, 2012, 10:37 PM
I can't wait until next week when #95 comes out.

the fifth man
July 11th, 2012, 08:23 PM
Well, #100 came out today. Anyone else pick it up? I am about to read mine very shortly.

DigiFluid
July 12th, 2012, 12:58 PM
I'm a bit behind, I still haven't read #99...

Probie
July 13th, 2012, 06:56 AM
I started with the show and after the first season, i bought the comics and I looooove them!

I have the french version so I'm behind everybody here.
The last one is #90. I have to wait september for the next one.

the fifth man
July 13th, 2012, 08:13 PM
Yes, and what happened was very unpleasant. :S

Definitely a sad moment.:( Honestly, it had to happen at some point, in some way. That was pretty brutal though.

magictrick
July 17th, 2012, 11:52 AM
There have been some brutal moments in the comics but that last issue was really messed up. Quite the depressing read.

DigiFluid
July 17th, 2012, 05:00 PM
Read it the other day... :(

the fifth man
July 18th, 2012, 09:50 PM
I just can't wait to see where things go from here. This is a big turning point IMO.

magictrick
July 19th, 2012, 07:49 AM
In a recent interview Kirkman said they have no plans for when to end the comics either. So it looks like there is plenty more to be written.

the fifth man
July 21st, 2012, 09:09 PM
In a recent interview Kirkman said they have no plans for when to end the comics either. So it looks like there is plenty more to be written.

That makes me happy. I hope to enjoy both the comic and tv show for many years to come.

Probie
September 5th, 2012, 06:00 AM
Today is a big day here.
#91 came out today. Yes we're late but I can't wait to read it.

the fifth man
September 5th, 2012, 09:33 PM
Today is a big day here.
#91 came out today. Yes we're late but I can't wait to read it.

Wait until you get to issue # 100.

Probie
September 6th, 2012, 02:05 AM
Wait until you get to issue # 100.

I bought the volume 16 (french version) of Walking dead. It's from #91 to #96.
I have to wait a loooooong time before I reach #100.

the fifth man
September 6th, 2012, 07:18 PM
I bought the volume 16 (french version) of Walking dead. It's from #91 to #96.
I have to wait a loooooong time before I reach #100.

Well, I hope you don't have to wait too long.

Probie
September 7th, 2012, 02:09 AM
Well, I hope you don't have to wait too long.

Is there something special in the #100?
No don't tell me.....or yes tell me.lol

LoneStar1836
September 8th, 2012, 04:02 PM
Finally started reading these last night. It took the boredom of boosting my wings in Gears of War 2 to realize that hey I could read that at the same time and kill two birds with one stone.

Bought the 1st compendium w/ 1st 48 issues nearly a yr ago and it's been collecting dust. Kept meaning to read it but just never started. Great read so far. Hope to at least have these read before the new season starts.

the fifth man
September 8th, 2012, 10:42 PM
Is there something special in the #100?
No don't tell me.....or yes tell me.lol

You could say that.:P

Probie
September 10th, 2012, 02:36 AM
You could say that.:P

You are evil

magictrick
September 10th, 2012, 09:26 AM
You are evil

Do you like spoilers? Evil would be me putting it in spoiler tags in this post :P

Probie
September 10th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Do you like spoilers? Evil would be me putting it in spoiler tags in this post :P

Ok boys, be nice.
Please, give me a clue...a little one.....please.
I have to wait next year for the new comic.

the fifth man
September 10th, 2012, 07:58 PM
Ok boys, be nice.
Please, give me a clue...a little one.....please.
I have to wait next year for the new comic.

Here is a clue - In #100, someone around since the very beginning is lost. Hope that isn't too spoilery for you.

Probie
September 11th, 2012, 05:32 AM
Here is a clue - In #100, someone around since the very beginning is lost. Hope that isn't too spoilery for you.

This is not enough

By "lost", you mean "dead"? I don't know why but I don't like it.

LoneStar1836
September 11th, 2012, 10:17 AM
This is not enough

By "lost", you mean "dead"? I don't know why but I don't like it.Yes. And you shouldn't. I'm no where near that far along but read the spoilers and :(.

Probie
September 12th, 2012, 03:15 AM
Yes. And you shouldn't. I'm no where near that far along but read the spoilers and :(.

Ok, I have to prepare myself. This is not surprising, in this kind of comic, losing another character. I just hope it is not one of my favorites.

the fifth man
September 12th, 2012, 11:09 PM
Ok, I have to prepare myself. This is not surprising, in this kind of comic, losing another character. I just hope it is not one of my favorites.

Who are your current favorites?

Probie
September 13th, 2012, 01:50 AM
Who are your current favorites?

Michonne, Rick, Andrea and Glenn.

LoneStar1836
September 14th, 2012, 08:19 AM
I enjoy Andrea much more in the comics. I just couldn't stand her for the most part on the show. Though she certainly got better at the end of S2 for me and hoping that continues to improve in S3.

Finished reading the first 48 issues. Now I want more! Can't wait till the next compendium (http://www.amazon.com/Walking-Dead-Compendium-TP/dp/1607065967/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1347635874&sr=1-1&keywords=the+walking+dead+compendium+volume+2) (which has issues #49-96) comes out which seems to be sometime later this year (possibly Oct).

the fifth man
September 14th, 2012, 08:07 PM
Michonne, Rick, Andrea and Glenn.

Hmmm, I see.

Probie
September 15th, 2012, 04:05 AM
I enjoy Andrea much more in the comics. I just couldn't stand her for the most part on the show. Though she certainly got better at the end of S2 for me and hoping that continues to improve in S3.

I agree. I didn't like her at the beginning. I wanted to beat her when she almost killed Daryl in the show.
This guy is my favorite character on the show.
But at the end, I started to like her.
My big problem in the show is Carl. I like him in the comics but I can't stand this character on the show.

Hmmm, I see.

I don't like your "hmmm". It's a bad sign.

LoneStar1836
September 15th, 2012, 10:59 AM
I agree. I didn't like her at the beginning. I wanted to beat her when she almost killed Daryl in the show.
This guy is my favorite character on the show.
But at the end, I started to like her.
My big problem in the show is Carl. I like him in the comics but I can't stand this character on the show.
I agree with you about Daryl and I'm not too keen on Carl on the show either, though obviously I haven't gotten to where he's a bigger part of the comics yet.

the fifth man
September 15th, 2012, 09:34 PM
I agree with you about Daryl and I'm not too keen on Carl on the show either, though obviously I haven't gotten to where he's a bigger part of the comics yet.

I won't give away too much, but Carl becomes very interesting in the comics.

the fifth man
September 15th, 2012, 09:35 PM
I don't like your "hmmm". It's a bad sign.

Maybe, maybe not.:P

LoneStar1836
September 16th, 2012, 10:05 AM
I won't give away too much, but Carl becomes very interesting in the comics.Well I cheated and read some summaries beyond what I've read and saw that Carl kills one of those twins who had killed his brother. Yikes! Can't wait for that next compendium to come out.

the fifth man
September 17th, 2012, 08:20 PM
Well I cheated and read some summaries beyond what I've read and saw that Carl kills one of those twins who had killed his brother. Yikes! Can't wait for that next compendium to come out.

IMO, it will be very interesting if they decide to take Carl down a similar path at some point in the show.

Probie
September 21st, 2012, 08:45 AM
I'm sad.
I was on the French forum of Walking Dead and someone forgot to put the name of the victim under "spoilers"......and I'm sad. Why?

the fifth man
September 22nd, 2012, 10:14 PM
I'm sad.
I was on the French forum of Walking Dead and someone forgot to put the name of the victim under "spoilers"......and I'm sad. Why?

Do you mean why did they do that to that character? If so, in The Walking Dead, anyone is fair game. No character is truly safe.

Probie
September 24th, 2012, 06:00 AM
Do you mean why did they do that to that character? If so, in The Walking Dead, anyone is fair game. No character is truly safe.

I know.
It's why I'm always scared when I read the comic or watch the tv show. But it's also the reason I like Walking Dead.

the fifth man
September 24th, 2012, 08:14 PM
I know.
It's why I'm always scared when I read the comic or watch the tv show. But it's also the reason I like Walking Dead.

You just have to enjoy the characters without getting too attached. It is the best way to go.

LoneStar1836
October 20th, 2012, 09:46 AM
Got the second compendium (http://www.amazon.com/The-Walking-Dead-Compendium-Volume/dp/1607065967) in the mail yesterday and ended up reading half of it until I made myself give it up to go to sleep. :D

the fifth man
October 20th, 2012, 09:43 PM
Got the second compendium (http://www.amazon.com/The-Walking-Dead-Compendium-Volume/dp/1607065967) in the mail yesterday and ended up reading half of it until I made myself give it up to go to sleep. :D

When you finish this compendium, you will almost be caught up. Enjoy it, my friend.

LoneStar1836
October 21st, 2012, 09:48 AM
When you finish this compendium, you will almost be caught up. Enjoy it, my friend.Yeah this goes all the way up to issue #96. So I'm almost there. :D Then I'll start buying the volumes starting with number 17 (that hopefully will come out sometime in Nov/Dec) which is supposed to have issues #97-102.

I stayed up till 2am last night reading almost the rest of it. Probably have about 50 pages left. :D

Gonna suck having to wait now.... This is a great series. Have thoroughly enjoyed it. :)

the fifth man
October 22nd, 2012, 08:17 PM
Yeah this goes all the way up to issue #96. So I'm almost there. :D Then I'll start buying the volumes starting with number 17 (that hopefully will come out sometime in Nov/Dec) which is supposed to have issues #97-102.

I stayed up till 2am last night reading almost the rest of it. Probably have about 50 pages left. :D

Gonna suck having to wait now.... This is a great series. Have thoroughly enjoyed it. :)

You think it sucks for you? I have been caught up, waiting each month for the next new issue, for quite a long time.

This has been an amazing series though. Kirkman really created something special with this comic.

Probie
October 23rd, 2012, 06:34 AM
I have to wait february for the next comic......but there is the tv show to help.

LoneStar1836
October 23rd, 2012, 10:07 AM
^^Well that does suck.

You think it sucks for you? I have been caught up, waiting each month for the next new issue, for quite a long time.

This has been an amazing series though. Kirkman really created something special with this comic.Well lucky me for unintentionally timing my reading of the first compendium really close to the release date for the 2nd one. :P I'd been sitting on that book for almost a yr until finally decided to read it last month.

Yeah it's a great read and I really enjoy the art as well.

the fifth man
October 24th, 2012, 09:49 PM
I don't know how you could control yourself for almost a year without reading that. You have more self-control than me, my friend.

LoneStar1836
October 25th, 2012, 09:12 AM
Well I read like the first little bit that covered season one when I first got it last Nov, but then S2 was airing on tv at the time so decided not to read on for what it might spoil and then just didn't pick it back up again. Plus had some major RL stuff happen last Dec/Jan.

the fifth man
October 29th, 2012, 08:26 PM
The current storyline right now in the comic is great. IMO, it is some of the best since the days of the Governor.

magictrick
October 30th, 2012, 07:03 AM
From the latest episode of the TV show.

I was fully expecting that door at the end to lead to where he keeps his little zombie girl! Though they did show a picture of his family so they might still introduce her.

LoneStar1836
October 30th, 2012, 11:20 AM
Yeah that's what I was expecting too but the heads were creepy. Especially considering they aren't "dead". I'm thinking they will not have the zombie kid though. Though they might since they had the discussion about if walkers might remember anything. Never know.

the fifth man
October 31st, 2012, 10:01 PM
From the latest episode of the TV show.

I was fully expecting that door at the end to lead to where he keeps his little zombie girl! Though they did show a picture of his family so they might still introduce her.

I was fully expecting that as well. We shall see.

LoneStar1836
January 18th, 2013, 10:08 AM
Just finally read Volume 17 (which has issues 97-102) last night. Bought this during Christmas and had been putting off reading it since I already knew what happened. :(:(:( I didn't know they also killed Abraham though. That was a shock.

Ugh. Now have to wait till supposedly June for Volume 18.

the fifth man
January 18th, 2013, 08:11 PM
Wow, June is quite a long time.

rkgardner2003
January 30th, 2013, 03:51 PM
Finally let my friend talk me into reading these....I loved them! Finished books 1-8, not sure how many issues that is.....a lot!

the fifth man
February 2nd, 2013, 04:29 PM
After the end of #106, I am left wondering what has happened to Carl?

the fifth man
April 2nd, 2013, 09:20 PM
Wow, the show had diverged so much from the comic series. I enjoy both greatly, so that is pretty sweet. I get to enjoy two different versions of a great story.:)

rkgardner2003
April 3rd, 2013, 02:12 PM
Wow, the show had diverged so much from the comic series. I enjoy both greatly, so that is pretty sweet. I get to enjoy two different versions of a great story.:)

I agree! It's nice to be surprised and not have it be too predictable!

the fifth man
April 8th, 2013, 07:02 PM
I agree! It's nice to be surprised and not have it be too predictable!

Exactly. Not knowing for sure what will happen is great for enjoying the show.

rkgardner2003
November 26th, 2013, 03:55 AM
Here comes the tank! I wonder how close to the comics the mid season finale is going to be?! Should be awesome :D