BBC- Last hope of Science Fiction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBC- Last hope of Science Fiction

Now that the "big three" networks have bought all the cable channels it seems that the BBC is the only REAL stable outlet for Sci-Fi..... Syfy seems bent on killing it totally. Even their quasi sci-fi offerings like Eureka are rebooting as a totally different show. Sanctuary is going through continual rolling change too. It seems that just when I start to like it, the show darts off in another direction... very sad... Syfy...Imagine Greater????? I SURE CAN!!!

The Stargate World is SO broad it shouldn't be hard to re-boot into a great series.
    Example: Chulak staring Christoper Judge.

With "clone" O'Neil (remember him)
    New enemy - Red Goa"uld a lost race.
    Explore the Mayan/Aztec connection to the Red Goa'uld. The whole serpent god thing.

It shouldn't be too hard to put together a block buster movie out of this stuff.... I don't see CBS, NBC, ABC or their flunky channels making anything. I COULD see the BBC doing something BIG with Stargate.

I just hope as all the props and things are sold off they sell the rights to the Stargate series to the BBC.

Mark

Originally posted by stargate_chulak View Post
    Now that the "big three" networks have bought all the cable channels it seems that the BBC is the only REAL stable outlet for Sci-Fi..... Syfy seems bent on killing it totally. Even their quasi sci-fi offerings like Eureka are rebooting as a totally different show. Sanctuary is going through continual rolling change too. It seems that just when I start to like it, the show darts off in another direction... very sad... Syfy...Imagine Greater????? I SURE CAN!!!

The Stargate World is SO broad it shouldn't be hard to re-boot into a great series.

Explore the Mayan/Aztec connection to the Red Goa'uld. The whole serpent god thing.

It shouldn't be too hard to put together a block buster movie out of this stuff.... I don't see CBS, NBC, ABC or their flunky channels making anything. I COULD see the BBC doing something BIG with Stargate.

I just hope as all the props and things are sold off they sell the rights to the Stargate series to the BBC.

Mark
    Really, do you live in a parallel universe or something? Aside from the fact that the BBC is as about as friendly to science fiction as mainstream networks are in the U.S, unless it's Doctor Who or one of it's spinoffs, they don't have the money to buy the license, the don't have the kind of money needed to make a Stargate show either and I'm pretty sure they have no interest in buying an American science fiction franchise when their primary goal is to cater for British audiences with British shows.

This is so “out there” that I have no idea where you would get this idea, that a British Company, that is currently suffering from budget cuts and a shortage of money, would buy the rights to an expensive scifi franchise that bluntly has a niche audience.

I'd agree that scifi, and indeed quality programming in general is suffering on mainstream American networks, but you seemed to have ignored a 3rd option, that of the premium and speciality cable channels such as HBO, Showtime, AMC, Starz, FX and Cinemax, all of which are either airing or creating scifi and fantasy shows. True none of them are doing Space Opera yet, but I think given time we may see that these channels become more open to that. The fact is a few years ago the very idea that HBO would be airing Game of Thrones and AMC would be airing the Walking Dead would be ludicrous, yet now they are among the aforementioned channels biggest hits. These channels are opening up to new genres outside there comfort zones and we are seeing some remarkable tv as a result.

Comment

Originally posted by stargate_chulak View Post

Mark
      As much as I know certain members of this site would LOVE to see stargate under the BBC (I'm looking at you Flyboy ) It's just a pipe dream. American networks steal British shows. Not the other way around.
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

American networks steal British shows. Not the other way around.

'Nuff Said!
        sigpic
        Although bow ties are cool, the scarf is cooler!

Comment

One example of the reverse doesn't take away from the fact that Americans steal British shows like it's going out of style
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by 4thDoctor View Post
            http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/Connell1967/LawAndOrderUK_S1_Target.jpg

'Nuff Said!
            Yes but given how different the law courts and police work here it doesn't have all that much in common with the American show, seeing as all the characters are fairly unique as well.

And as Digi said, that's one example........

Name me 3 more.
            Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
              Yes but given how different the law courts and police work here it doesn't have all that much in common with the American show, seeing as all the characters are fairly unique as well.

And as Digi said, that's one example........

Name me 3 more.
              CSI Basildon, Galway Five O and CSI Old York.
              sigpic

Comment

The BBC will be tightening their belts soon, they might not even be able to afford the more children/family orientated sci-fi, let alone any adult stuff. They will still probably make some decent fantasy stuff though, with Being Human, The Fades etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Ukko View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Ukko View Post
                    Ah yes, my favourite shows on a cold wintery night! Lol

Comment

Working...
                    X