Terra Nova - The nature of Time Travel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terra Nova - The nature of Time Travel

OK. i watched every episode so far (not as big a feat as it sounds ) and one thing has been bugging me.

how does this Time Travel actually work?
    what we know:

*Earth 2149 ("present time") is connected to Earth 85 million years in the past via a time "hole"
    *this Hole was discovered, rather than created
    *this Hole has to be opened up to allow travellers through

*the connection is one-way. however it can't be ruled out that this is a technical thing rather than a physics thing.

*two-way communication is possible

*the Time Hole runs sort-of Real Time with 2149.

*the Time Hole can fluctuate.

*apparently communications can happen only when the Time Hole is "active" AKA opened.

*the Sixers appear to know how to contact 2149 without the Time Hole.

now my speculation is, that this is a "vanilla " wormhole. IE, it's natural, but too small to be used. apparently in 2149 there's enough energy production to open up the Wormhole to allow people through. this is interesting, since it works quite similar to the Stargate.

does anyone have any other ideas?

magnets, really strong magnets

Comment

The writers (early on) said that it can only be opened once a year for about an hour so im thinking its a hole in space that can only be opened when earth gets in range and they channel the energy through to push it open for travel.

Now based on the fact we know there have been 10 pilgrimages in 7 years, maybe its not a once a year thing.

We do know that communication may only be possible when the portal has been opened, but apparently that's not the case. Chances are we will know in two days...

Comment

It's a different time stream, which means it's not connected to the Earth 2149 timeline.

In other words, it may as well be another planet and they go there through a stargate that they only open periodically, and the Sixers either discovered a Tollan communication device, or they can open the stargate without the government knowing.

I think it actually has a lot of similarities to Maybourne's side operation plotline in SG-1.

Comment

It's a different time stream, which means it's not connected to the Earth 2149 timeline.
          not exactly. there's a Timehole, so it is connected. what interesting effects this might have, well i don't know but Bleedthroughs might be possible.

In other words, it may as well be another planet and they go there through a stargate that they only open periodically, and the Sixers either discovered a Tollan communication device, or they can open the stargate without the government knowing.
          true. however the Hole would be open at all times. that is, for transportation to happen you would need to make it bigger, but since it already exists, it would be possible to communicate via other ways then the known

Comment

I like this show... the characters are fun to watch and the effects aren't too bad for television

Comment

not my question

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                not my question
                I'm telling you it is magnets.

Comment

OK. i watched every episode so far (not as big a feat as it sounds ) and one thing has been bugging me.

does anyone have any other ideas?
                  Where was that said?

I think they may have a way to make contact when the hole is open with others finding out.

Comment

Originally posted by morrismike View Post
                    magnets, really strong magnets
                    OI!!! Thats my Line

They never said that, They said next time you make contact I need to send a message, doesn't mean they can send a message without it being open just that they know when it is open to send a message
                    Griffin: You aren't Spanish, are you?
                    McKay: Oh yes! Of the Barcelona McKays!

Steam Asgard Commander of the Teal'c

http://www.youtube.com/partcontinuum

Comment

Originally posted by Steam View Post
                      OI!!! Thats my Line

They never said that, They said next time you make contact I need to send a message, doesn't mean they can send a message without it being open just that they know when it is open to send a message
                      I would agree. The are doing a lot of communicating when they get the chance.

Comment

I would agree. The are doing a lot of communicating when they get the chance.
                        But then again the 6ers could have really strong magnets like you said

Comment

Well you guys are not far from the truth. Give me greens if i am right.Those two ring shape structures, they are particle colliders, or something similar so in a sence they are magnet, albeit gigantic ones.
                          04.jpg01.jpg02.jpg03.jpg
                          sigpic
                          - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

Magneto (and Gotenks) had the power to bend reality due to nothing beyond possessing sheer power. Really big magnet might be it.

Comment

Magneto (and Gotenks) had the power to bend reality due to nothing beyond possessing sheer power. Really big magnet might be it.
                              When does Gotenks do that? unless you mean his super vollyball attack? lol

Comment

Working...
                              X