Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shut Up,Dr.Phil (705)

Originally posted by IMDb
    Sam and Dean meet Maggie Stark, a witch who has unleashed her wrath on a small town, resulting in numerous deaths. Sam and Dean track down her husband, Donald, to see if he can help. Donald tells the brothers that Maggie is mad at him for having an affair and is taking it out on the townspeople.
    Episode Synopsis:

Originally posted by TV Guide
    A jealous witch (Charisma Carpenter) unleashes her wrath on a small town when she discovers her husband (James Marsters) is having an affair.
    Original Air Date 10/21/2011.
    Last edited by Bagpuss; 20 October 2011, 01:13 PM. Reason: updated info
    The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

That was a really nice Monster of the Week Episode. I have to say that I really loved Mr. & Ms. Witch. Gotta love James Marsters, he was perfect for the role. I hope we will see more of them, since the Guys might need a hand or two on the whole Leviathan thing.
    Otherwise I need a rewatch, but all in all I liked it.
    Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
    Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
    There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Comment

Okay, I must admit I was completely underwhelmed by this episode. There seemed to be quite a bit of hype over the guest stars, but I had never seen them before, so they did nothing for me. Plus I never considered a couples war very entertaining, and to use it here as an excuse for excessively gross and uncalled-for gore made me like it even less. The story was predictable, the pace was lame (I mean, I love the Impala, but how many times do we have to watch the boys drive down a street or park or sit in it in one ep?) and the 'Dean's drinking because he's hiding something and Sam can't get him to talk' has been done at nauseam. I did sit up and take notice at the end when the Leviathan found the boys, hoping for some new information or a major reveal about these new baddies. Instead the monster is deus-ex-machina'ed by the he-witch who just happens to be stopping by - and the spell is only temporary at that.

Sorry for the rant, but I had to get this off my chest. I'm just used to better stuff from this team, and this just seemed sloppy and careless. So as not to be a total troll, there were two things I liked: the fact that it was a guy this time who screamed at the sight of a mutilated victim - casting this hulk as the hairdresser was just inspired! - and the first scene with the boys in the motel room. Apart from Dean looking especially lovely, I really enjoyed the easy, comfortable banter between the brothers. Too bad TPTB feel the need to mess with their camaraderie again by giving Dean yet another Big Bad Secret to hide.

sigpic
      Check out my SGA and Fringe fanfics on fanfiction.net

Comment

I don't know what to think about this episode.....I loved Spike and Cordelia on Buffy.....but this wasn't Spike and Cordelia...

drunk Dean hiding secrets from Sam......not sure I am wild about that......

I am eternally optimistic, but season seven is not my favorite season.

On the plus side...there was sweaty Sam and Dean in the purple flannel shirt, and that jacket I love so much....*happy sigh*
        sigpic

Comment

Weird one.

Seeing Spike and Cordelia together again was great, but I just felt the same way about that as I did with 'Crichton & Eryn' turning up in Stargate SG-1! I preferred them as the original characters they portrayed in their respective shows.

Then Dean going the way of Colonel Young with the drinking and self doubt!!! I wondered where that came from suddenly, we knew he drank, but to this extent out of the blue with the hip flask at every opportunity!

Recognisable location didn't help either! Just takes me out of the story, but that's just me I guess!

Supernatural still finding weird and whacky ways to kill people, the girl fried in the hairdryer, you just knew it was going to happen!!!! Loved the effects with the paintings in the gallery!

I sure hope this isn't the beginnings of what was said ages ago that Supernatural will finish its story well before it gets to the jumping the shark point. Maybe a 7th season was pushing it, but I'm hoping not.

Comment

This ep was a big change of pace. It had more gory bits than I like...back to the show's horror roots with a splat..so it was back to watching through my fingers for this one.

I loved the peek into Dean's dreams. He's obviously worried that Sam could go Robo!Sam again, Cas' demise is still hurting him like hell but he's still not letting go of his manpain. But it wouldn't be Dean if he didn't bottle it all up would it? There's trouble ahead!

Always great to see them in yet another motel room. Anyone recognise the bedspreads?
            Sam going for a run. Yep sweaty Sam. I do of course have a complaint. Shorts. Why were you not wearing them Sam? I mean...I've seen Jared's lovely long bare legs and they're too good to hide! Sera please note.

I enjoyed the 'War of the Roses' fight between the Starks. I usually prefer arc episodes to the MOTW eps but this one had enough twists to keep me interested.

Plus I really liked Don and Maggie. Don reminded me of Patrick in The Curious Case of Dean Winchester. It does seem that witches have a get of jail free card..or a get out of being ganked card in the show. Maybe it's because witches can't easily be dispatched.

With Don putting a spell on the Leviathan to trap him for a few days,..I get the feeling it's giving us a clue to how the Leviathans are going to be dealt with. They can’t be killed so they have to be put out of action...if not permanently then for as long as possible...like Osiris in the previous ep... and then maybe find a way to open Purgatory and throw them back. Questions, questions.

---

Things to love:

Dean's call to Bobby. I could hear Bobby's sarcasm in my head without hearing a word.

Leviathan on the boys trail.

Dean and pie.

FBI agents in suits.

Sweaty Sam. Had I mentioned that?

---

Things that made me go eeew:

Cupcakes with bloody beating hearts!

Nail gun!

---

Favourite quote:

Dean: No, don’t say ‘yeah, okay,’
            Sam: Yeah, okay.
            And then for a change we get a Dean b*tch!face.

All in all a bit of a fun filler ep....as long as you squinted at the nasty bits.

After watching the cutting room special from Jared...the actual scene seemed far too ordinary. But it wasn't really, we'd just been spoilt rotten. You can see how the fun one came about. But how Jensen controlled himself as Jared did that routine, I'll never know.
            sigpic

Comment

I really enjoyed the episode, I hope Don and Maggie show up again

I really like the idea of being able to slow down the Leviathans long enough to put them back in purgatory. If that is how they are going to deal with them...
              sigpic
              Sig by Everlovin My YT|My other vid site|My LJ|My Photobucket|My ImageShack|"Stargate is life, Sam and Jack are happiness, Shippers are almighty" by hlndncr

Comment

i very much enjoyed maggie and don, specifically the cordy and spike actors playing them!!

and i'm VERY glad they weren't killed off!!
                sally

sigpic

Comment

IMO, this was the weakest episode of the season thus far. Still enjoyable to watch though.
                  sigpic
                  MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                  "...phu...ah..."
                  "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                  Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Yeah, weak ep for me as well.

It had its moments like the hairdresser dude screaming and those terrible paintings she was auctioning off...like the one of the guy and that poddle. lol. Was paying more attention to how intentionally bad the art was than the scene. And this exchange: Dean: No, don’t say ‘yeah, okay,’
                    Sam: Yeah, okay.

I enjoy James Marsters and he was good in this, but the plot was just boring and seemed more of an excuse for the gore. Though the added bit with the Leviathan shows they do have a temporary weakness so it moves that story along a bit.
                    IMO always implied.

Comment

It was an interesting episode. I enjoyed seeing Charisma Carpenter.
                      sigpic

Comment

What I wanted to do on Saturday is get up, get the episode and watch it - what I did not want to do is get up, find Sammy, one of my birds in a bad shape (and named after the hobbit - he was older than SPN), catch him and rush with him to the vet and be too late :'(

So I watched the episode later the day but wasn't really in the mood to enjoy it. But I think it was Okay. A little bit to gory for my taste.

I really loved the witches and I'd love to see them again, even if they come with a screwed up morality the show sometimes has. So it's kinda OK that the witches kill people who get in the way of their rose war? I still don't like the way they went with Dean killing Amy and not telling Sam, but I'm curious what they make out of that. I still hope the make the best out of this pretty constructed dilemma.

So back to the episode. I really like James Marsters and have him back on the screen alone made the watching the episode worth it, and Charisma Carpenter wasn't too bad either. I loved the humour in the episode, the tamed version of the scene Jared leaked (apparently without permission ) and the messed up cooking recipe for chicken feet.

The heavy drinking of Dean is something I have a problem with, though, especially combined with him driving a couple of minutes later. The only positive I get out of that is that it doesn't happen unnoticed or shrugged away as something Dean does, but I hope they don't continue with him on this path at this intensity. I just don't like it.

Sweaty Sams on the other hand - I'd like to see some more of that ;-)
                        Oh, and Deans face during "yeah okay" was classy! More maybe later after a rewatch.
                        The cake is a lie!

Comment

Originally posted by LizzieAnne View Post
                          T
                          Sam going for a run. Yep sweaty Sam. I do of course have a complaint. Shorts. Why were you not wearing them Sam? I mean...I've seen Jared's lovely long bare legs and they're too good to hide! Sera please note.
                          Shorts, yeah great.
                          There is still one big question! To which music was Sam listening while running

Comment

Working...
                          X