Prometheus design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prometheus design

I never liked it. To me, it always looked like something that should have been floating in the water, rather than flying. I liked the Odyssey alot. It kind of reminded me of a sleek Battlestar Galactica, especially the side bays.

What do you all think?
    sigpic
    Check out my blog/forum! http://williamtelltale.blogspot.com/

Sci Fi TV shows I have watched all of: Star Trek (all shows), Battlestar Galactica (All shows) Firefly, V (old and new) Caprica, SG1, Stargate Atlantis, Stargate Universe, Fringe, Farscape, Lexx, Babylon 5

Currently watching: The Walking Dead, Falling Skies, Dr Who, Supernatural, Revolution, Red Dwarf, Under the Dome, Sleepy Hollow, Andromeda

It looked a little too bulky to me, but it's an understandable design imo.

Comment

It was a prototype, it was suppose to be bulky looking.

Comment

My favorite. It's what I would imagine a ship would look like if the military built it. It looked great in my opinion. Never really cared for the design of the rest of the fleet.
        "Goodbye Eli Wallace, you're a good man."
        - imlad, from http://www.readandfindout.com/

Comment

Didn't need to look great, it just had to stand up against an Ori satellite....Oh...Nevermind.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post
            Didn't need to look great, it just had to stand up against an Ori satellite....Oh...Nevermind.
            Actually, it just had to go toe-to-toe with the Gou'ald ships around at the time. It definitely did that very well in Lost City part 2.
            "Goodbye Eli Wallace, you're a good man."
            - imlad, from http://www.readandfindout.com/

Comment

Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered View Post
              Actually, it just had to go toe-to-toe with the Gou'ald ships around at the time. It definitely did that very well in Lost City part 2.
              Yeah, once it got the Asgard upgrades. If it hadn't of been for that the Prometheus would have failed quicker than Icarus' wings.
              sigpic

Comment

I thought it looked like the Asgard ships...
                sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I like the Promethius best out of all the human ships in the show. The Oddysey and deadalus and the lot with that turtle shell on the backs look kinda silly. And yah, the Promethius' overall layout is clearly inspired by the Asgard ships, just a more earth-like archetecture.
                  sigpic
                  Weapons At Maximum!

Comment

1 “Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me. 2 In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also. 4 And where I go you know, and the way you know.”
                    5 Thomas said to Him, “Lord, we do not know where You are going, and how can we know the way?”
                    6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.

John 14:1-6

Comment

As far as design goes I think the Prometheus represents human understanding and engineering as we know it today. We also have to look at it's "bulky" block look as one of necessity. It is primarily a carrier at heart. Its offensive capability is firmly rooted in its fighter squadrons. Lacking either the beam weaponry of the Asgard or the Plasma weaponry of the Gou'ld for long range ship-to-ship combat its only other offensive option is missiles. Missile are a poor substitute in the type of engagements this universe provides. They also take up a lot of room, as do fighters, equipment, etc. For a ship of its class and fire power it is exceedingly large but for a ship of human origin with the design limitations inherent with our technology it is the only real choice. Later in the series we see advancements in ship design based in new technological constraints that allow for sleeker "sexier" more capable craft.

We should all look at the Prometheus for what it is. The first step of humanity into a world larger and more dangerous than we have ever before entered. It is a symbol of innovation, motivation and indomitable spirit that allowed a "backwater" and technologically inferior race compete toe-to-toe with beings that had dominated the galaxy for too long. As a symbol I couldn't imagine a more beautiful or more graceful display of battlefield dominance and concentrated destruction than the X-303 Prometheus.
                      "AUT VIAM INVENIAM AUT FACIAM"

Comment

I honestly like the design even though it was obvious in real life, they didn't plan as far ahead like they did with the 304s in where weapons are, hell which area the fighters come out of.

I also like that the ship did change over time. You could chalk that up to improvements in CGI, but it does show that the Prometheus was always being tinkered with.
                        Hi There!

Comment

the daedalus class ships are soooooo much better than the prometheus!
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X