SG-1 and the Odyssey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SG-1 and the Odyssey

I was thinking about the finale, and it just donned on me. Where was SG-1 and the Odyssey? I haven't seen the episode since January, 2009. However, I do remember Carter having temporary command of the SGC. Where was General Landry? I wasn't expecting a full on SG-1 crossover, but it's just odd that everyone was conveniently gone except for Carter.

Caldwell said the Odyssey was on a secret mission, hence why it was absent in the SGA finale. It's more likely that it was gone because it probably would've been able to deal to the hive by itself, so the writers had to come up with a reason for it not to be there.

Carter was in charge of the SGC in Landry's absence, while he was in Washington. Again, the likelihood is that they couldn't get Beau back for that ep, and Carter was in the ep anyway, so they put her in charge instead of on a ship.

Having any other members of SG-1 present in the ep would've been hard to achieve. For one thing, it would've taken the focus away from Atlantis. My guess is that it would've been near on impossible to get the SG-1 actors to come back for bit parts in the finale of a show that they weren't even a part of. Carter was always going to be in that ep as Amanda Tapping had agreed earlier on that she would be in the first and last eps of season five, regardless of whether EatG was the finale.

I hope that answers your question
    sigpic

Comment

Wasn't the "Secret Mission" the ep where the SG1 crew went to the Ori galaxy?
      I like Sharky
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
        Caldwell said the Odyssey was on a secret mission, hence why it was absent in the SGA finale. It's more likely that it was gone because it probably would've been able to deal to the hive by itself, so the writers had to come up with a reason for it not to be there.
        OK, that makes sense. Given that SGU was already in development when this episode was made, perhaps Odyssey was on it's way to Icarus base?

Carter was in charge of the SGC in Landry's absence, while he was in Washington. Again, the likelihood is that they couldn't get Beau back for that ep, and Carter was in the ep anyway, so they put her in charge instead of on a ship.
        I think I remember this now. If Landry was in Washington, wouldn't the Wraith hive provoke him to return to the SGC immediately? That would have been great if they could get Landry back so Carter could either command the Hammond or partner up with Sheppard.

Having any other members of SG-1 present in the ep would've been hard to achieve. For one thing, it would've taken the focus away from Atlantis. My guess is that it would've been near on impossible to get the SG-1 actors to come back for bit parts in the finale of a show that they weren't even a part of. Carter was always going to be in that ep as Amanda Tapping had agreed earlier on that she would be in the first and last eps of season five, regardless of whether EatG was the finale.
        Right, I didn't expect anyone from SG-1 to show up except for Carter. However, the question still stands. Where was the team?

Originally posted by The Flyattractor View Post
        No. The Ark of Truth took place late in Atlantis's third season just before the season finale, "First Strike."

Comment

Originally posted by The Flyattractor View Post
          No. I know Carter had her share of duplicates, but she even she couldn't have managed to be in two places at once and not be noticed

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
          OK, that makes sense. Given that SGU was already in development when this episode was made, perhaps Odyssey was on it's way to Icarus base?
          We'll never know for sure. The 'real' reason is probably that the Odyssey would've pwnd the Hive, but the 'in show' reason is that they were away on a secret mission. It's possible they were investigating Icarus, but given the circumstances (and the amount of warning Homeworld Command had) Odyssey would've been recalled if it were close enough. Don't forget they have a ZPM and the Asgard power source - the trip from Pegasus to Milky Way is three days with a ZPM enhanced ship, so they would've had to be a long, long way away.

I think I remember this now. If Landry was in Washington, wouldn't the Wraith hive provoke him to return to the SGC immediately? That would have been great if they could get Landry back so Carter could either command the Hammond or partner up with Sheppard.
          Yes, if all things were equal, Landry would've returned. But don't forget they have to have the actor for this to happen. Clearly they didn't, and given someone had to be in charge of the SGC, the responsibility fell to Carter instead of her being on a ship. How believable this actually is is up for interpretation.

Right, I didn't expect anyone from SG-1 to show up except for Carter. However, the question still stands. Where was the team?
          They didn't state it, as far as I'm aware. Generally in those circumstances they like to omit things, rather than state a contrived reason. If SG-1 had saved the day on the finale of SGA, wouldn't fandom have been cheated somewhat?

No. The Ark of Truth took place late in Atlantis's third season just before the season finale, "First Strike."
          Or close to it. That's why Teal'C is sporting the grey hairdo in Midway (SGA s4)
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
            Yes, if all things were equal, Landry would've returned. But don't forget they have to have the actor for this to happen. Clearly they didn't, and given someone had to be in charge of the SGC, the responsibility fell to Carter instead of her being on a ship. How believable this actually is is up for interpretation.
            I figure Beau Bridges wasn't available, they couldn't afford both Bridges and Tapping (the episode looked expensive as it is), or they didn't have time to write in both characters. I just think Landry being in Washington was a lame excuse for him not to be at the SGC when the Wraith hive shows up. My goodness, if Atlantis had time to get there, surely Landry did. It would have been more realistic if they had stated that he was on the Odyssey or off world.

They didn't state it, as far as I'm aware. Generally in those circumstances they like to omit things, rather than state a contrived reason. If SG-1 had saved the day on the finale of SGA, wouldn't fandom have been cheated somewhat?
            I'm not suggesting that SG-1 be in the finale, it has to be the Atlantis Expedition who save the day. I'm just curious as to where SG-1 went as I don't remember it being brought up. If they were simply off world, they'd be recalled, no? Perhaps we're to assume SG-1 was on the Odyssey?

Comment

The SFX must of taken a HUGE bite in the episode's budget.
              It's all about startegy. Out-maneuvering the opposition, bending him to your will.
              -Dexter-

Comment

Whether it was a season or series finale, I don't think that mattered. I think we got a few low-budget episodes this season so they could spend lots of money on the mid-season two-parter and the grand 100th episode finale.

Comment

I was thinking about the finale, and it just donned on me. Where was SG-1 and the Odyssey? I haven't seen the episode since January, 2009. However, I do remember Carter having temporary command of the SGC. Where was General
                  Landry? I wasn't expecting a full on SG-1 crossover, but it's just odd that everyone was conveniently gone except for Carter.
                  i want sga with Cam and SG-1 i mean Carter lead Atlantis for 2 years !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  sigpic
                  Ohhhhhhhh WHAM BAM THANK YOU MA'AM

Comment

I figure Beau Bridges wasn't available, they couldn't afford both Bridges and Tapping (the episode looked expensive as it is), or they didn't have time to write in both characters. I just think Landry being in Washington was a lame excuse for him not to be at the SGC when the Wraith hive shows up. My goodness, if Atlantis had time to get there, surely Landry did. It would have been more realistic if they had stated that he was on the Odyssey or off world.
                    Yes, it might've been a better explanation for him to be off-world. But he is a general, and strictly speaking he isn't meant to do that, so they had to come up with an in-show reason for him to be absent. Having him in Washington was probably easiest - after all, it's only a phone call away. It's possible Carter was on the phone to him every five minutes, we just didn't see it.

I don't think Landry not appearing was a cost issue, but that's only my opinion. Don't forget that most of the Stargate actors aren't actually that well know, but Beau is due to his work on other projects. It's not inconceivable that he was working on something else and didn't want to come back for half and episode. If he had returned, its possible AT/Carter would've appeared in a different episode instead, as there wasn't really enough screentime or material for both of them to be present.

I'm not suggesting that SG-1 be in the finale, it has to be the Atlantis Expedition who save the day. I'm just curious as to where SG-1 went as I don't remember it being brought up. If they were simply off world, they'd be recalled, no? Perhaps we're to assume SG-1 was on the Odyssey?
                    It wasn't explicitly stated where they were. But it also wasn't explicitly stated if the team had reformed (with different members), so it's possible Teal'C was with the Jaffa, whilst the others were at various locations. And besides, there are any number of other teams which could've been sent. GW's omnipedia says that Cam is still a Lt Col and in charge of SG-1, other sources suggest he is in command of the Odyssey *shrugs*

Originally posted by SGSargon View Post
                    The SFX must of taken a HUGE bite in the episode's budget.
                    Whether it was a season or series finale, I don't think that mattered. I think we got a few low-budget episodes this season so they could spend lots of money on the mid-season two-parter and the grand 100th episode finale.
                    I agree. They were always going to through lots of money at that episode, regardless of whether it was the end of the season, or the series.
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X