Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just finished watching all ten SG-1 seasons...so, what's next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just finished watching all ten SG-1 seasons...so, what's next?

...and by that I don't mean SG Atlantis or Universe which I'm plannning to watch too eventually. No, I'm talking about all the extras, the behind the scenes, the bloopers/ outtakes, the fun stuff that only people who have been around in this fandom a long time would know about. I found a couple of bloopers links on YouTube but I would be very grateful if anybody could direct me to other documentaries or extras that exist.

Oh, and nice wallpapers, that would be nice too.
    "Didn't that tape say there were no fish in your pond?"

I'd really suggest you'd watch SGA* and follow the timeline so you can watch The Ark of Truth and Continuum too!

* Or at least season 4 (Sam in command of Atlantis) and the other episodes that have the members of SG-1 in it.

I'm actually not sure if we're allowed to link to youtube and other vids for extras, behind the scene stuff and bloopers since those are mostly from the DVDs and I think GW has rules about that sort of thing... I saw a warning about it a few days ago somewhere around here, although I'm not sure if it was Stargate-related... Please correct me if I'm wrong, though.

PS.
    There's a huge grammar error in your sig
    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Did you watch the series on DVD? If so, there'd be extras on each and every disc to watch. There's also a few Stargate the Lowdown specials. The only one I got to see was From Stargate to Atlantis: The Lowdown. I think there was another special when SG-1 was ending, a mythology special. Does anyone remember that?

Have you seen both SG-1 films? Be sure to see The Ark of Truth first as it resolves the Ori saga. The second film, Continuum, resolves Ba'al's story and brings the Goa'uld empire back for one final romp.

When you decide to dive into Atlantis, you've got 100 episodes to look forward to spread across five seasons. You may want to start an SG-1/Atlantis thread if there are any questions about how SGA fits in with SG-1.

Originally posted by fems View Post
      I'd really suggest you'd watch SGA* and follow the timeline so you can watch The Ark of Truth and Continuum too!
      Why does she have to watch Atlantis before seeing the SG-1 films? Neither film deals with anything from Atlantis so they can be watched separately.

Or at least season 4 (Sam in command of Atlantis) and the other episodes that have the members of SG-1 in it.
      Uh... does the word spoiler mean anything to you? What if she didn't want to know that going into the show? Besides, I think she can figure out the chronology. If not, that's what we're here for: answering questions.

I'm actually not sure if we're allowed to link to youtube and other vids for extras, behind the scene stuff and bloopers since those are mostly from the DVDs and I think GW has rules about that sort of thing...
      If YouTube doesn't have a problem with people uploading the videos, why should GateWorld?

Comment

I'd really suggest you'd watch SGA* and follow the timeline so you can watch The Ark of Truth and Continuum too! * Or at least season 4 (Sam in command of Atlantis) and the other episodes that have the members of SG-1 in it.
        Ooops! I already watched the two movies. I wasn't too impressed by the first, and the second was a bit better, but there are eps I much prefered to those. Was it important to watch SGA before those?

I'm actually not sure if we're allowed to link to youtube and other vids for extras, behind the scene stuff and bloopers since those are mostly from the DVDs and I think GW has rules about that sort of thing... I saw a warning about it a few days ago somewhere around here, although I'm not sure if it was Stargate-related... Please correct me if I'm wrong, though.
        I see. Are all of these from the DVDs then? Sometimes TV networks make programs or documentaries on certain shows. I was wondering if it had been the case for SG-1.

PS.
        There's a huge grammar error in your sig
        [/QUOTE]

I KNOW!!! I just saw it and hurried to go on my profile to change it! And there I was on previous threads asking about fics with good grammar and everything. *buries head in hands* The shame, the SHAME! Oh well, not the last time I make an ass of myself.

Hey, but thanks for pointing it out!

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Fish View Post
          I already watched the two movies. I wasn't too impressed by the first, and the second was a bit better, but there are eps I much prefered to those. Was it important to watch SGA before those?
          How come you didn't find the movies all that impressive? The movies have nothing to do with what goes on in Atlantis.

I see. Are all of these from the DVDs then? Sometimes TV networks make programs or documentaries on certain shows. I was wondering if it had been the case for SG-1.
          It is, I pointed that out in my earlier post.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
            Did you watch the series on DVD? If so, there'd be extras on each and every disc to watch. There's also a few Stargate the Lowdown specials. The only one I got to see was From Stargate to Atlantis: The Lowdown. I think there was another special when SG-1 was ending, a mythology special. Does anyone remember that?
            No, I watched everything on streaming video. But I'm thinking of getting the DVDs now.

Have you seen both SG-1 films? Be sure to see The Ark of Truth first as it resolves the Ori saga. The second film, Continuum, resolves Ba'al's story and brings the Goa'uld empire back for one final romp.
            I have, more on this below.

When you decide to dive into Atlantis, you've got 100 episodes to look forward to spread across five seasons. You may want to start an SG-1/Atlantis thread if there are any questions about how SGA fits in with SG-1.
            Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

Uh... does the word spoiler mean anything to you? What if she didn't want to know that going into the show? Besides, I think she can figure out the chronology. If not, that's what we're here for: answering questions.
            That's OK, I knew Sam Carter was going to be in SGA when I read her character profile on GW, so I was already spoiled. No worries.

How come you didn't find the movies all that impressive? The movies have nothing to do with what goes on in Atlantis.
            I thought Adria was disposed of way too quickly, for one. I don't know, I was waiting to see the full extent of an ascended Ori's power, or some big confrontation with the Ancients, and all we got was a repeat of what happened between Oma and Anubis i.e two blobs of light locked in an endless fight - how original. I did like Tomin's arc though. But replicators? Again? It felt so tacked on. The fights with them went on for way, way too long to keep me interested. If they wanted a real threat they could have at least brought back RepliCarter. Or they could have come up with something new.

The second one was much better, I was looking forward to seeing Jack O'Neill again, but as it turned out he was barely in it. It wasn't bad, I loved the scene where the stargate blows the ship's hull, but it just did not grab me the way some episodes do, there was little time for character moments. Daniel loses a leg and it gets forgotten almost immediately. They spend a year in this alternate reality and we see nothing of their lives before they go and save the day apart from Mitchell going to a farm and Daniel trying to get in touch with himself. Again, it's a big action movie and I prefer character driven pieces. But, hey, that's just me.

It is, I pointed that out in my earlier post.
            You must have posted while I was typing my previous answer, which is why I didn't see it until now.

Comment

interesting, i like arc of truth better . but i loved them both.

as for atlantis, if you were going watch in correct order (which i didn't do either).

sg-1: 1-7
              sg-1: 8's "new order"
              sg-1: 8-10 alternating with sga: 1-3
              sg-1: arc of truth
              sga: season 4
              sg-1: continuum
              sga: season 5
              sgu: season 1-2.

as for extra's i imagine there are some on dvd as well as documentaries like "the science behind the gate" and "the mythology behind the gate" both are on hulu last i checked. as well as a special on the "200th episode", this might be on hulu as well.
              sigpic

Comment

Speaking of viewing order, there's two ways to tackle that.

Stargate
                SG-1 (10 Seasons)
                The Ark of Truth
                Continuum

Atlantis (5 Seasons)
                Universe (2 Seasons)

Or...

Stargate
                SG-1 (Seasons 1-7)
                SG-1 (Season 8)
                / Atlantis (Season 1)
                SG-1 (Season 9) / Atlantis (Season 2)
                SG-1 (Season 10) / Atlantis (Season 3)
                The Ark of Truth
                Atlantis (Season 4)
                Atlantis (Season 5) / Continuum
                Universe (Seasons 1&2)

Everyone here suggests alternating episodes, but I say that's too much work trying to figure out what episode fits where. Just alternate seasons. Also, a note about Continuum... When the movie was made, it was to take place right after The Ark of Truth. Due to production delays, they decided to have the movie take place at the start of Atlantis's fifth season. Carter and McKay talk about the events of the movie in the fifth season premiere. This creates a few continuity issues regarding Carter and Teal'c, but it's nothing the imagination can't solve.

Comment

Why does she have to watch Atlantis before seeing the SG-1 films? Neither film deals with anything from Atlantis so they can be watched separately.
                  Like I said, for the timeline. It's clear that Continuum takes place right after Search and Rescue.

Uh... does the word spoiler mean anything to you? What if she didn't want to know that going into the show?
                  It does, but I've already seen her in other threads so I knew she would be aware of it.

If YouTube doesn't have a problem with people uploading the videos, why should GateWorld?
                  I don't know, I guess it has something to do with copyright. There are plenty of online streaming websites or pirating websites that have no problem with people uploading stuff, but the people who actually own the stuff usually do.

[QUOTE=Bad Fish;12941714]Ooops! I already watched the two movies. I wasn't too impressed by the first, and the second was a bit better, but there are eps I much prefered to those. Was it important to watch SGA before those?

I was referring to copyrighted material, not the rest.

I KNOW!!! I just saw it and hurried to go on my profile to change it! And there I was on previous threads asking about fics with good grammar and everything. *buries head in hands* The shame, the SHAME! Oh well, not the last time I make an ass of myself.

Hey, but thanks for pointing it out!
                  I know, I'd seen you there and that's the only reason I pointed it out. Otherwise I wouldn't have done so
                  Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                  Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                  On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Fish View Post
                    I thought Adria was disposed of way too quickly, for one. I don't know, I was waiting to see the full extent of an ascended Ori's power, or some big confrontation with the Ancients, and all we got was a repeat of what happened between Oma and Anubis i.e two blobs of light locked in an endless fight - how original. I did like Tomin's arc though. But replicators? Again? It felt so tacked on. The fights with them went on for way, way too long to keep me interested. If they wanted a real threat they could have at least brought back RepliCarter. Or they could have come up with something new.
                    The movie was shot in about 14 days. Morena Baccarin (Adria) was only available for one day, so she was limited to the set where she confronts Vala and the rest of SG-1. It was that or nothing. Adria had to be in the movie, so I'm glad we got as much as we did. In the movie, we learn that SG-1 succeeded in taking out the Ori in "The Shroud." This meant that all they had to do was take away Adria's power, then a single ascended Ancient would be capable of taking her down. I understand that some people were bored with the Replicators, but I never got bored of them. With the show over, I was happy to see the Replicators one last time. Really, with two movies, all three of the show's biggest villains had to be revisited! Ori, Goa'uld, and the Replicators!

The second one was much better, I was looking forward to seeing Jack O'Neill again, but as it turned out he was barely in it. It wasn't bad, I loved the scene where the stargate blows the ship's hull, but it just did not grab me the way some episodes do, there was little time for character moments. Daniel loses a leg and it gets forgotten almost immediately. They spend a year in this alternate reality and we see nothing of their lives before they go and save the day apart from Mitchell going to a farm and Daniel trying to get in touch with himself. Again, it's a big action movie and I prefer character driven pieces. But, hey, that's just me.
                    Richard Dean-Anderson was semi-retired by the time Continuum was filmed. Realistically, he was never going to be the star of the movie. Originally, he was just going to pop up briefly in the alternate timeline. RDA liked the script enough to request being added to the Tok'ra Pyramid scenes at the beginning and end of the film. Actually, there were far more character moments in this than a typical episode of the series. Yes, Daniel lost a leg, but it wasn't forgotten. He was in a wheel chair and later fitted with a prosthetic leg. If it seemed forgot, it's because we saw him a year later. At that point, he would have adjusted to his prosthetic leg. Their lives in the alternate reality aren't all that important. All the year later part of the movie needed to indicate is that for once, the team was truly screwed. If this were a two-parter, I'm guessing that might have been the cliffhanger. As for prefering character-driven pieces... It's an SG-1 movie, it's going to be plot-driven.

Ultimately, I understand your criticism. Just keep in mind that these films are TV-grade cinema. Each film was shot in just two weeks.

Like I said, for the timeline. It's clear that Continuum takes place right after Search and Rescue.
                    I guess the timeline wasn't that important to me. I didn't have cable for most of Stargate's run. I watched via syndicated reruns and DVD's. When Atlantis began, I saw the entire eighth season of SG-1 before diving into SGA. You don't have to bounce back and forth to be able to figure out what's going on.

I don't know, I guess it has something to do with copyright.
                    If YouTube doesn't take the video down, then it's either not violating copyright law or the copyright holder doesn't care.

There are plenty of online streaming websites...
                    We're not talking about those websites, we're talking about YouTube.
                    Last edited by Snowman37; 30 September 2011, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Thanks you very much guys for all the info. It really helps.

@Snowman37: Ah! It makes much more sense now, regarding Adria's limited screen time. And thanks for explaining the background behind the movies, it was most interesting, and it does explain quite a few things.

Comment

Working...
                      X