PDA

View Full Version : The Girl Next Door (703)

Bagpuss
September 28th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Dean is furious after Sam disappears to follow a lead on a case with clues that are identical to a case Sam solved as a kid. The demon turns out to be Amy, who has been killing low-life thugs and taking their brains for dinner - the same demon Sam found as a kid.

Original Air Date 10/7/2011

mrscopterdoc
October 8th, 2011, 08:35 AM
so.....what was with Sam bringing CAKE and not pie???????

iolanda
October 8th, 2011, 08:46 AM
so.....what was with Sam bringing CAKE and not pie???????

The cake is a pie!

iolanda
October 8th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Sorry, couldn't resist ;-)

I guess it was because Sammy just had other things on his mind than bringing Dean pie - or he just couldn't find one. That shop didn't look that good equipped.

What is the difference between cake and pie anyway? What Dean wants and what he gets is both "Kuchen" in my language.

Towards the episode: I likes it, wasn't as great as the first two, but a good one to turn down the pace a little bit and have a monster of the week again. Loved little Sammy in the flashbacks!

I did not like that Dean killed Amy - if he walks that path he should have killed the kid, too, because without his mother (and her job at the mortuary) he now will be forced to kill to get what he needs.

tomstone
October 8th, 2011, 10:42 AM

I guess it was because Sammy just had other things on his mind than bringing Dean pie - or he just couldn't find one. That shop didn't look that good equipped.

What is the difference between cake and pie anyway? What Dean wants and what he gets is both "Kuchen" in my language.

Towards the episode: I likes it, wasn't as great as the first two, but a good one to turn down the pace a little bit and have a monster of the week again. Loved little Sammy in the flashbacks!

I did not like that Dean killed Amy - if he walks that path he should have killed the kid, too, because without his mother (and her job at the mortuary) he now will be forced to kill to get what he needs.

First off, loved the episode. Second, yeay another german. Even in German there is a difference between Kuchen/Cake and Torte/Pie. A pie is what you can throw in others Peoples faces, and a Cake is something for Birthdays. :P

I had some sort of a Deja-vu when Dean told the Kid to come look for him once hes older. I think there was a similar Scene in the "Kill Bill" movies.

LoneStar1836
October 8th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Dean never gets pie....

Interesting ep. Though didn't enjoy it as much as the previous two. Story was a bit slow, and I didn't like the editing in places. Flashback transitions were good but the fast cutting back and forth in some scenes was a bit annoying. Otherwise I thought JA did a good job directing.

At least when Amy killed that guy she was a bit like Dexter and went for some lowlife drug dealer. I didn't really think Dean would kill her. Liked how they filmed it, but not quite sure I agree with what Dean did. I wonder if tptb were forced to take the easy way out and not kill the kid because the network (CW) wouldn't allow it. Kid may have not killed anyone with his own hands yet, but he soon would have to now. Dean's reasoning there made no sense other than to spare himself the guilt of having killed a kid.

Now how would those Leviathans know what aliases Sam and Dean use other than I think the head bad guy must still be inhabiting Cas's body and thus has access to his knowledge. After those others have said lines about reporting to someone higher up, I've wondered if that is how they have left the door open to eventually bring Cas back.

mrscopterdoc
October 8th, 2011, 11:35 AM
The cake is a pie!:lol:

cake is more sponge like, and usually has sweet frosting on it. Pie has a pastry crust, sometimes on top as well and usually has a fruit filling, or some sort of pudding like filling. They are completely different, not close at all.

TheRandomOne
October 8th, 2011, 03:24 PM
I hope Sam finds out what Dean did. He had no right doing that after letting Sam live after Sam killed innocent people as well while he was soulless. Dean is quite the hypocrite

the fifth man
October 8th, 2011, 08:00 PM
I really liked this episode, but I didn't like Dean killing Amy either. He could have let her go. He should have honored Sam's wishes.

Jeffer
October 8th, 2011, 08:23 PM
I loved the ep as well anyone else notice dean had jeans on underneath the cast also the my bloddy valentine referance I think Dean should have let her live and that line was stright from kill bill

P-90_177
October 8th, 2011, 08:30 PM
I really loved the fact that Dean killed Amy in cold blood. I think what it demonstrated was the old style hunter mentality. That instict of "It's not human so we kill it." Yeah it makes Dean a hypocrite but I think he'd be the first to admit that he is.

also

Amy Pond. :D

Crichiel
October 9th, 2011, 05:46 AM
I hated that Dean killed her...which made me LOVE that they had Dean kill her! I love that they were brave enough to have our hero do something so unlikable and didn't tiptoe around it. Was he right? I don't know, but to still be able to shock me after 6+ years (with something other than the gore factor)? I'm impressed.

P.S. love love love the close Bobby-Dean relationship being highlighted so much this season.

P.P.S. Cake is NOT pie! Our family always has birthday pie because we figured out years ago that none of us really like cake...but we all love pie! Bad Sam!! :-p

iolanda
October 9th, 2011, 06:52 AM
Crichiel!!! What a great surprise to see you again :-) Good to know that you haven't given up on the show entirely!!

Crichiel
October 9th, 2011, 08:45 AM
Crichiel!!! What a great surprise to see you again :-) Good to know that you haven't given up on the show entirely!!

Aw thanks, iolanda. It's nice to know I was missed. I never stopped watching the show (I don't think that's possible!). The quality of the show itself never went down, I was just very unhappy with the direction the storyline took for most of the last season. I had already made that pretty clear on numerous posts, so I didn't feel like I needed to KEEP complaining about it.

So far this season, I am really enjoying this direction they're taking. It's great combination of old school Supernatural while still incorporating all it's great history and mythology.

LoneStar1836
October 9th, 2011, 12:00 PM
I really loved the fact that Dean killed Amy in cold blood. I think what it demonstrated was the old style hunter mentality. That instict of "It's not human so we kill it." Yeah it makes Dean a hypocrite but I think he'd be the first to admit that he is.

also

Amy Pond. :DHeh. Some one there must be a Doctor Who fan. :cool: I went to school with a girl with the same name.

And yeah I like the fact that they had Dean kill her even though I didn't quite agree with him doing it.

TheRandomOne
October 9th, 2011, 02:07 PM
I guess this episode also said that Sam is Sam & Dean is Dean again

iolanda
October 10th, 2011, 01:11 AM
I was reading around the internet for critics about the episode, and most of the ones I found are Okay-ish, but then I read the one from Maureen Ryan because most of the time I really like what she write, but not so much this time.

She hates this episode so much - and I wonder: has she got a point?

http://www.aoltv.com/2011/10/08/supernatural-season-7-episode-3-recap/

I personally thought that Dean killing Amy was unnecessary and cruel, but a thing which will be dealt with later. Was it really THAT OOC?

LtColCarter
October 10th, 2011, 09:01 AM
Excellent episode! I really enjoyed getting to see some of Sam's past. Its amazing that seven season in that we're still learning new stuff about the Winchesters.

LoneStar1836
October 10th, 2011, 09:53 AM
I was reading around the internet for critics about the episode, and most of the ones I found are Okay-ish, but then I read the one from Maureen Ryan because most of the time I really like what she write, but not so much this time.

She hates this episode so much - and I wonder: has she got a point?

http://www.aoltv.com/2011/10/08/supernatural-season-7-episode-3-recap/

I personally thought that Dean killing Amy was unnecessary and cruel, but a thing which will be dealt with later. Was it really THAT OOC?I think she does have a point about several things. I did think it was a character regression myself, but I did like it because of what they might do with it later on/repercussions. Though I do have to agree with her on the Dean trusting Sam issue. I do find that getting a bit tiresome.

LtColCarter
October 10th, 2011, 10:40 AM
I think she does have a point about several things. I did think it was a character regression myself, but I did like it because of what they might do with it later on/repercussions. Though I do have to agree with her on the Dean trusting Sam issue. I do find that getting a bit tiresome.

I can see your point...but Sam also does things that makes him less than trustworthy.

iolanda
October 10th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Of course she's got a point or two - she is by far no frustrated ranter who dislikes everything. That's why I posted it here.
I just don't think that her points are so strong to make this episode this bad. It's the Winchesters job to kill evil monsters. Amy just didn't feel like one, more like someone like you and me with some very special dietary needs.

LizzieAnne
October 10th, 2011, 03:29 PM
I really liked this episode. There was a change of pace from the first two..but that was to be expected I reckon ...otherwise it would burn itself out.

I enjoyed the look into Sam's past...and the way it was done. Colin is a joy to watch as young Sammy.

Two things which took me by surprise.

Dean punching Sam. I didn't think they'd go back to that happening again. In real life this would be a terrible thing to do with his previous concussion and head trauma. But this is a show where physical damage inflicted on them doesn't normally last more than an episode. It hardly ever has consequences so I take it as it's intended..a bit of comic book fun that's part of their relationship, along with the pie!

The killing of Amy was brutal and shocking. The whole thing reminded me of Madison. But this time Sam was reluctant and Dean did what he had to do. For me this is the real Dean..how he was brought up...like he said in the previous season...he knows he's not a family man, he's a hunter and a killer of evil things.

I only skimmed through what Mo said in her piece but I have to disagree with her on virtually everything. With Dean especially because I thought his actions fitted perfectly with what he's been through...and who he is now.

It would be great for Dean and Sam to have reached a point where they could be perfectly honest with each other as well...but they're not there yet! I think Dean still has trouble trusting Sam and, as much as I love Sam, I don't blame him. Sam's hardly in a fit mental state to make sensible choices, so Dean makes them for him, looking out for him like he always has done.

It'll be interesting if there will be any repercussions with Sam further along but if Sam never finds out I won't have a problem with that either.

I read this interesting piece about moral choices made in the ep HERE (http://amonitrate.livejournal.com/563440.html)

Also...I don't know if anyone is familiar with Kill Bill. I haven't seen the movie but anyway...someone did this little Meta and video to show the similarity of the end scene. HERE (http://missyjack.livejournal.com/785714.html)

yessika
October 13th, 2011, 06:12 AM
I really liked the episode but I really hated that Dean killed Amy, will Dean never trust Sam?

I do hope they have serious consequences for Dean's actions...

Tallifer
October 13th, 2011, 10:54 AM
It is ironic that just two weeks after I lamented the trend away from interesting new monsters and little hunting stories, we get exactly that. I am very happy with this episode, especially with Sam's typical sympathy for the monster and Dean's typical hunter's attitude towards it.

blueiris
October 15th, 2011, 09:40 AM
I enjoyed the epiosde. As for killing Amy, I think Dean did the right thing. She is what she is and when it comes down to her son, if the only accessable person is .....you, she is going to get you. I really thought he should have taken out the boy, too, preferably first. And I am an anti-violence type.

***There is a hugh difference between pie and cake.***

peterbjornx
October 16th, 2011, 10:40 AM
Well, i really hated that he killed Amy, she's lived her whole life not killing, and only because she wanted to save her kid she killed three people, and i was DISGUSTED by him killing her by a suprise attack. Also, its nice to see a DW reference (her name), and ofc to see a SGA cast member again :D

strandrijker
October 30th, 2011, 05:12 AM
anyone else notice dean had jeans on underneath the cast

It looked like this, but there is one scene as Dean is grabbing Sam's notic from the table you can see that there is some skin of Deans leg (yummi) peeking out between cast and jeans, so I think that the jeans was cut directly above the cast.
I was glad that we were able to see this cast anyway because a "normal" jeans fits over a normal cast easyly.

LtColCarter
October 30th, 2011, 12:01 PM
I really liked the episode but I really hated that Dean killed Amy, will Dean never trust Sam?

I do hope they have serious consequences for Dean's actions...

IDK because the promo for next week shows Sam & Dean back together....

strandrijker
October 30th, 2011, 04:28 PM
There is a question burning inside me since I saw the ep.
It was the first ep they shot this season and I thought that Jensen had some chubby cheeks in this ep. GD&R
Did he gain some weight during summer?

It was all gone in the next eps.