Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just starting the series...Got a question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just starting the series...Got a question.

And I looked through 5 pages and didnt see this topic posted, so please don't kill me if its already posted at some point.

Is there any particular order to watch the movies and such entwined with the series?
    sigpic
    Check out my blog/forum! http://williamtelltale.blogspot.com/

Sci Fi TV shows I have watched all of: Star Trek (all shows), Battlestar Galactica (All shows) Firefly, V (old and new) Caprica, SG1, Stargate Atlantis, Stargate Universe, Fringe, Farscape, Lexx, Babylon 5

Currently watching: The Walking Dead, Falling Skies, Dr Who, Supernatural, Revolution, Red Dwarf, Under the Dome, Sleepy Hollow, Andromeda

The real story of Babylon is The Gathering (pilot movie) and all five seasons of the series. These should be your only priority.

Watching by chronology is extremely annoying because the movies (except for first one) aren't about continuing the storyline from the series but are used for other purposes. It's even more of a pain in the ass because you are watching it for the first time so they also distract you from the series.

==

After you have watched the pilot movie and all five seasons, if you are really interested in watching all the B5 material in chronological order then you should watch The Gathering (2257), then Season 1 (2258), Season 2 (2259) and Season 3 (2260).

Season 4 (2261) is also the only season that coincides with a movie so watch the first 8 episodes, then the movie Thirdspace, followed by the remaining fourth season episodes.

Season 5 (2262, final episode 2281) is tricky. You can watch the first 21 episodes (2262), then River of Souls (2263), Legend of the Rangers (2265), A Call to Arms (2266), Crusade (2267), Lost Tales (2271), In The Beginning (2278, flashbacks to various points during late 2240s) and finally the last episode of B5 (2281).

Seriously, watch The Gathering and then the series. The rest can wait.

sigpic

Comment

Dammit, I didnt buy THe Gathering. Watched the first 3 episodes last night.
      sigpic

Sci Fi TV shows I have watched all of: Star Trek (all shows), Battlestar Galactica (All shows) Firefly, V (old and new) Caprica, SG1, Stargate Atlantis, Stargate Universe, Fringe, Farscape, Lexx, Babylon 5

Currently watching: The Walking Dead, Falling Skies, Dr Who, Supernatural, Revolution, Red Dwarf, Under the Dome, Sleepy Hollow, Andromeda

Comment

What did you think? Have fun and enjoy the ride!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Phinguyver View Post
          Dammit, I didnt buy THe Gathering. Watched the first 3 episodes last night.
          If you're only three episodes in, then no real damage has been done but if you can watch the movie then you should try it before you move on.

A lot of what the movie does has some relevance to the series, be it references to events, characters or just lines of dialogue becoming important in one way or another to what happens during the five seasons. I guess you could skip the movie, but don't be surprised if they talk about or flashback to events you don't remember.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
            If you're only three episodes in, then no real damage has been done but if you can watch the movie then you should try it before you move on.

A lot of what the movie does has some relevance to the series, be it references to events, characters or just lines of dialogue becoming important in one way or another to what happens during the five seasons. I guess you could skip the movie, but don't be surprised if they talk about or flashback to events you don't remember.
            It should be ok. Battlestar Galactica was famous for that. lol

But, I may get it soon. I did think the first episode didnt really seem like a pilot. I guess it should be ok.

I thought the first 3 episodes were very dry and the acting left alot to be desired, but if I've learned anything from Star Trek over the years, I learned to with hold judgement until the second or third season.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Phinguyver View Post

But, I may get it soon. I did think the first episode didnt really seem like a pilot. I guess it should be ok.
              That's because they weren't written to act as a pilot, that's what The Gathering is for. The first two or three episodes are pretty much just the series correcting the changes that happened between The Gathering, such as introducing new actors to replace those who decided not continuing with the series. What's really interesting is learning how changes in actors really influenced the story, even from day 1 (watch all 5 seasons then look into it).

sigpic

Comment

I need to get the rest of the seasons. I managed to pick up a couple of the later seasons at a great price, but I really love this show and would like to have the complete set.
                sigpic

Comment

I bought The Gathering. It also included In The Beginning. Which should I watch first now? lol
                  sigpic

Comment

The Gathering.

Do not watch In The Beginning until you've seen the fourth season finale. In The Beginning basically explains the backstory of the series (specifically the Earth/Minbari War) so a lot of the secret character development the series is trying to slowly introduce is given away all at once and weakens the series because a lot of the mystery is no longer there.

sigpic

Comment

Absolutely! It's a giant spoiler, if you will, and really will take away from your enjoyment of the episodes leading up to it.
                      sigpic

Comment

Watching The Gathering now. I'm not really feeling this series. THinking about trading it and season 1 for something else. Does season 1 get better, or will I have to buy another season in order for it to get better?
                        sigpic

Comment

Well, don't count on Sinclair being around after season 1...but more about him later. BIG things start happening with the Coming of the Shadows - season 2 story arc. the neat thing about this show what that it was conceived as a whole, not piecemeal, random episodes. So every episode has a place within the larger story and it all is unified.
                          sigpic

Comment

All right, I'll finish it and get season 2
                            sigpic

Comment

After watching Parliament of Dreams, and Mind War, I am hooked. Those were damn good episodes. Cant wait to see what is on that planet in the future seasons!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X