PDA

View Full Version : 200 question

Phinguyver
September 21st, 2011, 02:24 PM
I dont want any spoilers because I havent seen it yet. But based on the synopsis, I was wondering if this episode could be a tribute to Firefly possibly?

SaberBlade
September 21st, 2011, 03:30 PM
As I remember, it doesn't do anything to remotely hint at anything from Firefly.

P-90_177
September 21st, 2011, 03:43 PM
It makes one very minor and fairly cryptic reference to firefly. That's it.

Jae'a
September 21st, 2011, 03:45 PM
Well, I vaguely remember reading somewhere that there is a small reference to Firefly, but I don't know what it is because I'm not familiar with Firefly..

Ah, Ninja'd by P-90 :P

Phinguyver
September 21st, 2011, 03:54 PM
The reason I asked was because the synopsis says that the Wormhole Extreme show failed then was made into a major motion picture. Thats exactly what happened with Firefly...except Firefly was a VERY good show. lol

I wish they would have made one episode of Wormhole Extreme and added it to the DVD extras. lol

SaberBlade
September 21st, 2011, 04:52 PM
The reason I asked was because the synopsis says that the Wormhole Extreme show failed then was made into a major motion picture. Thats exactly what happened with Firefly...except Firefly was a VERY good show. lol

I wish they would have made one episode of Wormhole Extreme and added it to the DVD extras. lol

I wouldn't call that a Firefly reference, because as you said it was very good show. It's only failing was Fox screwing with it.

blueray
September 21st, 2011, 06:22 PM
well hard to answer without complete ruin of the episode, but i believe there is a reference more directly by teal'c. he mentions a show that was cancelled but preformed well on dvd.

Quizziard
September 21st, 2011, 08:18 PM
I dont want any spoilers because I havent seen it yet. But based on the synopsis, I was wondering if this episode could be a tribute to Firefly possibly?

No - it's a tribute to the show and cast (and crew) of Stargate.

Snowman37
September 21st, 2011, 11:04 PM
It's celebrating 200 episodes of SG-1. However, Wormhole X-Treme! being cancelled after three episodes and then being made into a movie is a reference to Firefly. Firefly was cancelled after 15 episodes, three of which weren't aired during the show's original run. Due to DVD sales and popularity, Universal Pictures took a chance on producing Serenity, the Firefly movie.

Inquisitor
September 22nd, 2011, 01:30 AM
I thought it was more a reference to SG-1, than Firefly.

SG-1 was going to be cancelled and turned into a movie (Stargate II). Instead it was renewed (this was talked about by faux-jackson) and they had 200 episodes (SG reference). Then the movie was back on (Ark of Truth).

There was an article on the Gateworld website for quite a while (this is the earliest snapshot, it was there when I found Gateworld which was quite a bit after the date of this link).

http://web.archive.org/web/20020613084300/http://gateworld.net/movies/02.shtml

STARGATE II

RELEASE DATE - Fall, 2003 ?
WRITTEN BY - Brad Wright, Robert C. Cooper
DIRECTED BY -
DISTRIBUTED BY - Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer
ANTICIPATED CAST - Richard Dean Anderson (Colonel Jack O'Neill), Michael Shanks (Dr. Daniel Jackson), Amanda Tapping (Major Samantha Carter), Christopher Judge (Teal'c), Don S. Davis (General Hammond)
The sequel to the original "Stargate" film will most likely begin production after the TV series' sixth season wraps filming in September, 2002, and is intended to create the premise for a spin-off television series.

WHAT WE KNOW ...
(Newest info is added to the bottom)

MGM announced on October 25, 2000, that it had "fast-tracked" a sequel to the 1994 sci-fi hit, "Stargate" (story). Due to the success of the television series and a rumored falling-out with original "Stargate" director and producer Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin (who wanted to make a trilogy of films), it is almost certain that the new movie will feature the cast and crew of Stargate SG-1.
Production will likely start after the conclusion of the television series (filming on Season Six is scheduled to end in September, 2002), rather than filming between seasons, according to writer / producer Joseph Mallozzi.

Word on the street is that MGM representatives approached Fox Studios Australia in the spring of 2001, hoping to film "Stargate II" there (story).
In an interview with TV-Highlights magazine, SG-1 director Peter DeLuise reported that the writers are currently developing storylines that would translate well onto the big screen -- and be done better with a larger budget. "Of course, the story of a movie has to be interesting and understandable for those people who haven't seen the show," he said. "But you also have to add certain elements for the fans. ... Making a movie means having more money and also having more time, which is very important."
He also assured fans that a theatrical SG-1 adventure would remain faithful to the series. "We'd cut into our own flesh [before we'd] anger the fans," DeLuise said. "A Stargate movie will be like the show, only much bigger, more elaborate and faster." (story).

Although the title of the film may not end up "Stargate II," it's interesting to note that MGM has taken the liberty of registering the domain names StargateII.com and Stargate2.com -- which currently forward to MGM's home page.
"Brad [Wright] and Robert [Cooper] will be writing the film script." (SG-1 writer/producer Joseph Mallozzi, in an online chat with the Sam/Jack Horsewomen)
"We're introducing a new villain at the end of Season Five, one who'll become our primary antagonist throughout Season Six. Next season will be SG-1's last. But what I'm planning is for Season Six to build towards a climax that actually is a Stargate SG-1 feature film. And that feature film will create the milieu and the necessary elements for a spin-off series."
"I know those are big plans, but that's what I pitched and that's where we're heading right now. The idea for it is very cool and I've been setting it up since Season One, when I planted a seed to give us a direction in which we could go. We've been slowing building up the possibilities [from there]." (Co-creator / executive producer Brad Wright, in an interview with Cinescape magazine)

Writer / producer Robert Cooper gave some interesting details on the development of SG-1's story into a feature film, which in turn sets up a new TV series. "There has always been the intention to springboard the series into a movie and a spin-off series," he said. "We feel Stargate has enormous potential to continue as a franchise in all mediums. We certainly have a plan and story ideas for an SG-1 movie. If there wasn't a Season Six, we were hoping to do one this year. But now that Season Six has been picked up, we're going to continue with SG-1 and hopefully at the end of Season Six we'll wrap that up with an SG-1 movie.
"Then, if all the economics fall into place, we'll have that open up a whole new world that will become a new Stargate spin-off series. ... The movie idea we have will change the Stargate universe considerably -- open it up and create the potential for a whole new series."

Cooper also said that the movie will include the original cast, while a new cast will take over in the spin-off.

"One of the things we don't want to do is just have another Stargate; what we don't want it to be is SG-2. We would want the series to be very different from this one. After six seasons of SG-1, fans would expect something fresh and new. And that's what we have in mind ..."

"[The spin-off series] evolves the Stargate. That's all I can say." (Writer/producer Robert C. Cooper, in an interview with Dreamwatch magazine)

The Stargate SG-1 movie has something to do with the myth of the lost continent of Atlantis, actor Michael Shanks ("Dr. Daniel Jackson") confirmed at the Best of Both Worlds 12 convention in Australia. Atlantis is the rumored title of the spin-off series that the film will set up.
Shanks also told fans that he would appear in the film.

"As far as I know, a movie is still in the cards. In the event we can't do a movie, then we’ll wrap up SG-1 at the end of Season Six." (Writer/producer Joseph Mallozzi, in a chat with the SG1 Hurt/Comfort mailing list)
"In a perfect world, which this isn't, we would roll into the feature after a relatively short hiatus immediately after the end of the series. So, we would wrap Season Six, take a very short break, then go into prep for the feature. You have to get the feature ready so that you can then roll into a spin-off series." (Executive producer Brad Wright, in an interview with Zap2It.com)
Executive producer Brad Wright recently told fans: "According to Hank Cohen [president of MGM Television], we are still on track for the film and spin-off." Wright also said that he and co-executive producer Robert C. Cooper are writing the movie script, and have every intention of having Michael Shanks in it as Daniel." (Executive producer Brad Wright, in an online chat at Lycos.com)
"Brad and Robert are working on the script as we speak. But don't expect definite word [on whether the movie will go ahead] for another couple of months." (SG-1 writer / producer Joseph Mallozzi, in an online chat at GateWorld Forums)
NEW April 21: If there is a feature film, will it be shot at Bridge? "Yes. We'll be shooting on location as well, if I get the budget that I asked for." (SG-1 executive producer Brad Wright, in an online chat at SG1 Fans)
NEW April 21: How is MGM being for sale affect the quest for a feature film? "MGM is always for sale, and I don't think anything is going to happen in the near future." (SG-1 executive producer Brad Wright, in an online chat at SG1 Fans)

hedwig
September 22nd, 2011, 07:47 AM

No. It was done primarily to celebrate the fact that the show had reached 200 episodes, and to poke fun at themselves and some of the story ideas, and to address (tongue-in-cheek) issues the fans had with the show. There was never any reference to Firefly, although a couple of skits were aimed at "Farscape", and "Star Trek".

Phinguyver
September 22nd, 2011, 09:57 AM
^^^

I've seen all sorts of Star Trek props in SG1, let alone all the verbal references.

Quizziard
September 22nd, 2011, 10:33 AM
There was never any reference to Firefly
Not sure that's true, as previously posted (most recently as...)

Wormhole X-Treme! being cancelled after three episodes and then being made into a movie is a reference to Firefly.

Snowman37
September 22nd, 2011, 04:17 PM
Inquisitor: Reading your post makes me wish "Lost City" had been Stargate II, because it would have been a theatrical movie. My only disappointment with the two movies we did get is that they basically play out as long episodes with cinematic credits.

CompanionCube
October 1st, 2011, 06:26 AM
Teal'c makes the small reference to Firefly, that's it.

Quizziard
October 1st, 2011, 08:17 AM
Teal'c makes the small reference to Firefly, that's it.
No. As mentioned above, there's also the situational contextual reference.

Phinguyver
October 5th, 2011, 06:30 AM
Just watched it. Hilarious. The puppet scene was Team America all the way. lol

Jae'a
October 5th, 2011, 07:55 AM
No. It was done primarily to celebrate the fact that the show had reached 200 episodes, and to poke fun at themselves and some of the story ideas, and to address (tongue-in-cheek) issues the fans had with the show. There was never any reference to Firefly, although a couple of skits were aimed at "Farscape", and "Star Trek".
Freaking love the Farscape part!
D'ArgoTeal'c: "Hazmanna!"
:lol:

Phinguyver
October 6th, 2011, 08:22 AM
That was a hilarious episode. I was laughing nonstop. Certain scenes more than others.

Furlings :jack_new_anime18:
Zombies :jack_new_anime18:
Farscape :jack_new_anime18: :jack_new_anime18:
Star Trek :jack_new_anime18::jack_new_anime18: :jack_new_anime18:
Wizard of Oz :jack_new_anime18: :jack_new_anime18:
Team: SG1 Off World Police :jack_new_anime18: :jack_new_anime18: :jack_new_anime18: :jack_new_anime18: :jack_new_anime18:
The opening title sequence :jack_new_anime18: :jack_new_anime18:
The closing interviews :jack_new_anime18:
Teal'c PI :rotfl: :jack_new_anime18: :jack_new_anime18:

Easily one of the best episodes of the series. I wonder if in Atlantis, there is something similar for the franchise's 300'th episode?

Quizziard
October 6th, 2011, 09:08 AM
I wonder if in Atlantis, there is something similar for the franchise's 300'th episode?
No.

Gen. Chris
October 6th, 2011, 10:15 AM
I liked the episode...And as for Firefly, there was sort of a reference, but it wasn't obvious.

The "edgier" younger cast scene was hilarious.

Snowman37
October 6th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Not entirely, it mostly celebrates 200 episodes of SG-1, but their are a lot of indirect references to the series.