Does anyone Beta the Gateworld reviews?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone Beta the Gateworld reviews?

Well my main question is as the title of the thread suggests, now I'll elaborate.

I like reading what other people thought of different episodes of the show, it helps pick out the good points and the bad points. I like the Gateworld reviews because they are generally uncluttered and on the most part I do like reading them.

However, in the joint review of "The Storm" and "The Eye" I was more than a little disappointed with one or two grammatical/factual mistakes. First can I point out that favourite is not spelt "favorite" and something can be occurring and recurring. But something cannot "reoccur".

Secondly it was not a Tsunami that hit Atlantis like the review said, rather a wave most likely caused by the hurricane (I look to the people who have been debating what it was for a proper explanation). A Tsunami is "a large destructive ocean wave caused by an underwater earthquake or some other movement of the earth’s surface" -i.e., not what we saw hit the Atlantis shield.

One last thing which might affect the anti-spoiler people is the reference in the review to a character
    Spoiler:
    Paul McGillon becoming recurring
    I like reading spoilers but others don't so maybe this could just take into account other peoples ideas about spoilers.

May I note these are not the only spelling errors in Taylor Brown's reviews (i.e. the spelling of neighbours in the review of "Home" and the spelling of humour in the review of "Poisoning The Well")

I hope that those that read this don't see it as a flaming or overt criticism of the reviews, but slightly more constructive, maybe a Beta of the reviews would benefit the site as a whole? Comments Please.

Originally posted by Markey2
    However, in the joint review of "The Storm" and "The Eye" I was more than a little disappointed with one or two grammatical/factual mistakes. First can I point out that favourite is not spelt "favorite" and something can be occurring and recurring. But something cannot "reoccur".
    Well here on the wrong side of the pond "favorite" IS the proper spelling. It's not widely reported in the history books but those pesky "u's" were thrown into the harbor along with the tea. Well that's my theory anyway. I agree on "reoccur" though, I believe recurring is the correct word to use. "Reoccur" is often used in everyday speech even though I don't find it in my hillbilly land dictionary.

Originally posted by Markey
    Secondly it was not a Tsunami that hit Atlantis like the review said, rather a wave most likely caused by the hurricane (I look to the people who have been debating what it was for a proper explanation). A Tsunami is "a large destructive ocean wave caused by an underwater earthquake or some other movement of the earth’s surface" -i.e., not what we saw hit the Atlantis shield.
    I think you have a point. However, McKay called it a "tsunami". The close-captioning people called it a "tsunami". Perhaps the reviewer didn't want to refute canon or make super-genius McKay look dumb.

One last thing which might affect the anti-spoiler people is the reference in the review to a character
    Spoiler:
    Paul McGillon becoming recurring
    I like reading spoilers but others don't so maybe this could just take into account other peoples ideas about spoilers.
    I have to believe Darren didn't consider this casting change to be much of a spoiler. You'll see those kind of spoilers on the front page of the site - before you ever click on the "review" link. If those kind of spoilers bother people I suspect they probably stay off the internet anyway. The addition of new cast members to both shows has been widely reported on the front page of most Stargate sites.

May I note these are not the only spelling errors in Taylor Brown's reviews (i.e. the spelling of neighbours in the review of "Home" and the spelling of humour in the review of "Poisoning The Well")
    I suspect you may just be pulling our legs at this point. Right? Again, surely you know we tend to get rid of those extra "u's" that our uptown cousins are so fond of. It would probably help you to know that the person who writes the Atlantis reviews is American. The person who just wrote up the review for "Gemini" lives in England so you'll probably see a lot of the "u" thing going on in her reviews. I think it's lovely to see the differences, myself. I can recognize right away if a Brit or American is doing the review.

I hope that those that read this don't see it as a flaming or overt criticism of the reviews, but slightly more constructive, maybe a Beta of the reviews would benefit the site as a whole? Comments Please.
    I think Darren does beta the reviews but perhaps he can answer that question directly.
    Last edited by keshou; 28 January 2005, 07:35 AM.
    Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Oh thanks for pointing out American-English spelling. It's just trying to read it they kind of glare at you. I don't quite recall McKay saying that it was a Tsunami because it was quite a while ago now (in England), but deary me they messed up on that didn't they!

Oh well, atleast I got my occur and recur right! Thanks Kes

Comment

People are more likely to know about tsunamis than rogue waves or storm surges, especially depending on where they live. If they don't live near an ocean, they're even less likely to know the technical terminology unless they're an oceanographer or meteorologist. Besides, "tsunami" puts in mind a giant wave whereas "storm surge" just makes you think maybe of water sloshing on the dock. Even if it isn't TECHNICALLY correct, it helps to put a more correct idea in peoples' heads.

As for the difference in spellings... you must not post on this board much. Or you must hang out in the wrong threads. I see bunches of people using the English spellings all the time. You just get used to it after a while. In my case, I even adopt the spellings at random incidents. Not always intentionally, either.

And I don't see how a character getting made main cast is a spoiler. Now, if the review had said, "Character X is being made a regular since Character Y gets killed in Episode Whatever" then yes, I could see getting upset about it. But from my viewpoint, at least, just saying someone's gonna be a regular isn't a spoiler.

Comment

I edit all reviews before they are published. I generally defer to the author for U.S. vs. British spelling, but "favorite," "neighbor," and "color" are all correct on this side of the pond.

You're right about "recurring" -- I've fixed it. I've also changed "tsunami," though I do leave it up to the author to get those sorts of facts right. I don't have time to do research in addition to copy editing.

We do not regard casting info as spoilers, especially in this case. Paul appeared in most of the episodes in Season One, and all this news tells you is that he'll be in most or all of Season Two's episodes. Nothing even character related, let alone plot related.

If you spot errors on the site in the future, feel free to shoot an e-mail to [email protected]!

Darren

Comment

*reads again*

Wait, you're complaining about the AMERICAN spellings??! I... That's... Wow. Just... wow. I'll just go away and be completely boggled, now.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
              *reads again*

Wait, you're complaining about the AMERICAN spellings??! I... That's... Wow. Just... wow. I'll just go away and be completely boggled, now.
              Well, he/she lives in England, so naturally he/she would complain about the American spelling.

Comment

I know about most American spellings and just gloss over them, I havn't (strangely) ever come across the lack of the letter U before, seeing as how I read most posts on the board it seems strange in retrospect.

Comment

Originally posted by Feli
                  Well, he/she lives in England, so naturally he/she would complain about the American spelling.
                  Yes, but to act as if he's never SEEN the variant before? Dunno, it just seems like you'd have to visit a very narrow selection of websites to have never come across the American spellings. Ditto the reverse for Americans seeing English spellings. But I suppose if you're young enough... *shrug*

Comment

And they say only Americans are ignorant of other cultures...
                    Liaison of F.O.R.D.
                    Click here to help Save Ford!

Comment

Originally posted by Kes
                      Well here on the wrong side of the pond "favorite" IS the proper spelling. It's not widely reported in the history books but those pesky "u's" were thrown into the harbor along with the tea. Well that's my theory anyway.
                      ROFLOL!!!

a time to mourn

Comment

Originally posted by Markey2
                        I know about most American spellings and just gloss over them, I havn't (strangely) ever come across the lack of the letter U before, seeing as how I read most posts on the board it seems strange in retrospect.
                        Haven't

Comment

If you have ever made a web page that has any sort of colour on in, you can't help but use the American version of the language. if you have ever changed the colour of a font on a forum such as VBulletin, again you can't help but use the American version. HTML for good or bad declares American spelling to be the only true spelling, hence <color=#000000> is all too common. Personally I would love to see HTMl/CSS etc take into consideration the true and original way of spelling as well as the AAmerican way, that is allow the use of "colour" instead of "color" and "centre" instead of "center". Alas that's not the case at the moment.

Inceidently VBuletin is owned/created by an English company, and in their user manual etc, they always use the American spelling of all words. Why? American's are their biggest customer.

Comment

Originally posted by nathanaus
                            American's are their biggest customer.
                            Americans. Non-possessive. Other than snarking, though, I don't get why people (there are quite a few) feel the need to point out grammatical mistakes in public. Isn't that what PM and email are for? If I publically corrected every mistake I saw... well, first of all, everyone would hate me 'cause I'd be doing it all the time, and second, as unbelieveable as some people might find this, I try to take the other person's feelings into consideration. How'd you like it if someone made a public issue of all YOUR mistakes? It might be embarrassing. So if I see some glaring typo or grammatical error, I just PM the person or, in the case of a website, email the site owner and be done with it. Or I just shrug and move on. Depends how serious the mistake is and how much I like the site.

Typos are WONDERFUL for teasing purposes, though. Especially the Freudian ones.
                            Last edited by ShadowMaat; 29 January 2005, 08:21 PM.

Comment

"First can I point out that favourite is not spelt "favorite"" - this put a smile on my face, thanks.

The most common difference in spelling is the lack of the U's in many words. I find the "I know about most American spellings" doubtful because of this. Ever read American books? Been to many American run forums like this one? I guess you just thought that many Americans just kept spellings words wrong left and right, hehe

I think it is a little silly not to be aware of this, ah well.

Gateworld is an American site.........best not to complain about American spellings.

I don't see why you'd have to gloss over the American spellings or why on earth they would "glare at you."

British English spellings do not bother me at all.

The Reoccur thing really is no big deal at all. Send an email to the site if you care that much.

Waves are waves... who cares if they say it is a tsunami? Do they even call it a hurricane? Or just a really big storm?

It is SCIENCE - FICTION.

Comment

Working...
                              X