Stargate Chevron Light Prop - Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate Chevron Light Prop - Build

Hello folks! saw this on FuseNova's Thread & i was inspired.

FuseNova provided very nice pictures detailing the measurements hence making the whole build easier! Measuring and getting the shape is the hardest part which was simplified by the pictures and measurements provided by FuseNova (Thnx mate!). But what i did do is made my version of the chevron slightly bigger.

so - Jaffa' Kreeeee

Here we go ...

Lighting Goals
    :- Plan to install 2 color Lighting
    Orange-Redish (Milkyway Galaxy) - Blue (Pegasus Galaxy)

:- Light color will be switchable by a simple switch.

1.Ruff Draft

2. Drawing the Chevron on Plywood.
    This is the most important part, as if this is done wrong here the end result will not be so good!
    (so i took time grabbed a beer and drew the chevron very patiently)

Cut the shape out.

When you look at a chevron - the one thing that threw a scare at me was the cuts. If you do not have the right tools achieving nice clean inside cuts is near impossible. so i decided not to go for inside cuts i went all the way from the edge.

Added the Edge hence cheating my way to an inside cut
    Last edited by jessec; 12 September 2011, 09:10 PM.
    "To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important." - Teal'c

http://jcprops.wordpress.com/

Working on making the edges sharp so sanding sanding & more sanding it is...

20 mins later

Built a box (the back end)

"To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important." - Teal'c

Comment

very very nice

Comment

thanks General

Comment

Ooh, that looks cool!
          "Y'know; Lose it. It means, go crazy. Nuts. Insane. Bonzo. No Longer in posession of one's faculties. Three fries short of a Happy Meal. WHACKO!!!!!"

The perfect couple!

Comment

Looks amazing, wish I could build it Well done! I love the way you are gonna be able to switch the colours, you should update us on your progress!
            sigpic
            Sig by Yamiinsane, Thanks!
            'It's Nuttier than Squirrel poo' - Amanda Tapping
            : Thats it! Sphere, planet, label, name! : Following, still, you, not!
            I'm not crazy...I just have another consciousness in my brain! So he just looks crazy then?
            Indeed

Comment

Kreee' Gaters

managed to do little bit more work last Night - Glued it all up and did some more sanding to make the edges stand out. Lot more sanding and filling coming up !

Glued Everything up ! Since the construction has lot of gaps and is held together very softly - i Decided to use the Gorilla Glue That Expands. It acts like foam expands to fill the gaps.

Dry Time 4 hrs or so ..

Glue is all Dry So here comes more fun ! hwellMore Sanding

Started to look and feel real Soft.

Lot of Gaps and imperfections still.

Size Idea

Next - will be filling the Gaps and more sanding...

Comment

looking good!
                sigpic
                I'm not crazy...I just have another consciousness in my brain! So he just looks crazy then?
                Indeed

Comment

Thnx mate

Comment

Awesome stuff!
                    sigpic

Comment

That is coming along very nicely. I really like that.
                      sigpic
                      Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Finally managed to fill the holes and gaps.

Filler close up

Let the sanding begin

More sanding needs to be done to get the price ready for paint prep..

Comment

You're seriously talented!
                          sigpic
                          Indeed

Comment

Originally posted by StarSancFar View Post
                            You're seriously talented!
                            Many Thanks Mate you are kind.

Will give you folks an insite as to how i started doing this
                            I never learnt anything - just wanted to create cool stuff like this - Finally had some extra cash which i spend on Tools ($500-$700 approx) - I had no clue as to which tools are required to do this kind of work, So i turned to the internet did a lot of research on messing with wood and clay and what many tools do & finally My neighbour (Thnx Tim) helped me greatly i told him what i wanted to do. So with all the things i learnt online and with suggestions from tim i made a list of tools that are needed. We went to lowes and did some shopping. Some tools i bought at Home Depot as bigger tools are cheaper @ home depot. Before this day i owned one Small Tool Kit & a nice tool kit which i use for my motorcycle. This day i had gotten most of the tools necessary to replicate wood & create something out of them. Knowing how to make them work is a whole another ball game but as more time is spent - better you get.

Some of the tools :
                            Table Saw $128.00 ( From Home Depot) [Must Have]
                            Hammer, Blade Kit, Shop Vacuum (home depot) [Must Have]
                            Dremel 120-Volt Rotary Tool Kit
                            DEWALT 7-Amp 3/8" Drill Kit with Case $59.97 [Must Have]
                            Skil 45-Degree 7-1/4" Corded Circular Saw $39.98
                            Jigsaw BLACK & DECKER 5-Amp $39.95 [Must Have]
                            IRWIN 2-Pack 6" Clamps
                            Single Clamps (2.00/each home depot) [Must Have]
                            Draw pencils,Stanley 1/2" Bevel Chisel,Small File Kit, Ruler kit,90 degree angle ruler.
                            Gorilla Glue
                            Sand paper package
                            work horse
                            Paper Roll $10.00 (Big brown Paper Roll - Lasts a while - helps keep things clean)
                            Cheap Paint Brush Kit (You can use these to clean and paint)
                            Safety Glasses
                            Masking Tape (different thickness)

If you are interested in starting to create stuff this list should help a bit i hope.

Comment

Built the inside this was not correct when I first built it with wood, so I used some filler to build up a ruff shape. Will cut it, sand it and bondo it later.

2 hrs into it, I cut the shape and slowly sanded until I was happy.
                              Sanded a little bit, and used some bondo.
                              More sanding to follow once it all drys out.

Different views

Last edited by jessec; 18 September 2011, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X