Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why is rda still shown being a part of sg-1 in season 8 intro?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why is rda still shown being a part of sg-1 in season 8 intro?

even though o'neill is no longer part of sg-1 and is sgc's commander, why is it that he's still shown in the season 8 intro walking into a stargate? from what ive watched in this season so far, i have yet to see o'neill go on an away mission with sg-1. hell, i havent even seen a scene where he was away from the base. i know that its because rda accepted to stay on for another season as long as he had a reduced workload which explains why all of his scenes are only in the sgc but why couldnt they have modified the intro a tiny bit to only show sam, daniel, and teal'c walking into the stargate at the end of the intro? the intro just doesnt fit into the continuity of the show.

this also bothers me because everytime i watch the intro, its a depressing reminder that o'neill is no longer a part of sg-1. its also a constant looming reminder that his exit from the show as a regular character is right around the corner.

my point of all this is, why couldnt they have just spent an extra few bucks to create a slightly different intro sequence from episode 3 of season 8 and on that only shows sam, daniel and teal'c walking into the stargate instead of all four of them. this disappoints me because its a sign of laziness on the show's producers part. no im not THAT upset about this, its just something i decided to point out that doesnt fit with the show in season 8. the intro is one of the first things people see when they watch an episode. showing all four of them walk into the stargate gives a false interpretation of what to expect in the episode.

he does go on missions in s8, but the opening credits are less a 'who's on sg1' and more 'who's the starring cast of the show' and rick very much was.

and it's not as much laziness as not spending thousands of dollars for a reedit
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

RDA is the star of the show, and an Executive Producer of the show. I don't really see that it makes much difference what sort of clips he is in during the intro. And as Skydiver said, it would have meant a few thousand dollars (rather than a few "bucks") to change the intro. And there were other areas of the show that could use that money more than the intro. Plus, it was just nice to see a bit of him from past episodes in that intro.

And while we didn't see him actually go through the gate, he did so in "It's Good to Be King" when he visited Harry Maybourne's planet. And while it was an AU O'Neill, he did go through the gate (in the puddlejumper) in "Moebius"..

Comment

Originally posted by KimCheeWarrior View Post
        even though o'neill is no longer part of sg-1 and is sgc's commander, why is it that he's still shown in the season 8 intro walking into a stargate?
        Because:

1. As Sky pointed out, the intro is about the cast, notcurrent SG-1 members (by that logic the intro to, say, "Into the Fire" should be changed as well as Teal'c was technically not a part of SG-1 throughout this episode)

2. Jack does go on missions occasionally in season 8.

3. It's a reminder that he was a part of SG-1, thus his relationship with them is so different to what any other general would have had. From that POV, it's actually a great continuity.

4. Whether Jack was or wasn't a part of SG-1 throughout season 8 is a matter of perception. I mean, technically he obviously wasn't, but as I said earlier, he remained close with SG-1, much closer than with any other team, due to their shared history.

5. Season 8 was supposed to be the last, so there was no "reminder that his exit from the show as a regular character is right around the corner". In fact it would have been weird to have him removed for the final season.
        There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
        sigpic
        awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

i respectfully disagree with your statement. although i havent watched the whole of season 8 as of yet, im almost halfway through it and still havent seen o'neill go on an away mission or even a single scene where he isnt at sgc. i also understand that the majority of the credits is a who's who of the cast of the show in general but the final few seconds of the intro depicts sg-1 going on an away mission, something i havent seen o'neill do in season 8 as of yet. in my eyes, thats a false depiction of what to expect on the show. i personally think that its very important to properly give viewers a taste of what to expect from a show in its intro and the scene that depicts all four them going on an away mission just simply isnt accurate from what ive seen so far. it sets people up for a fall giving them the impression that o'neill is still a part of sg-1 and that he still goes on away missions with the rest.

also, i didnt mention this before but it also shows o'neill in action scenes, many of them which were also shown from some of his previous away missions. although i understand that this is nothing new as producers have used clips of the cast from previous seasons in newer seasons intros before, the situation is quite different in this season since (from what ive seen so far in season 8) o'neill no longer actually accompanies sg-1 on away missions.

i feel that it wouldve been absolutely necessary to spend the extra money to edit the intro to properly convey the atmosphere of season 8 out of respect for the show's fans. it might seem like a small thing to some but for many who watch these shows out of sequence in syndication, this intro might cause confusion as to o'neill's current status within the sgc.

however, i respect your interpretation of the intro. this is only my personal opinion, i can agree to disagree. any other thoughts on this?

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
            And as Skydiver said, it would have meant a few thousand dollars (rather than a few "bucks") to change the intro.
            im quite aware that it would cost more than "a few bucks" to change the intro, i was metaphorically speaking.

Comment

Originally posted by Petra View Post
              5. Season 8 was supposed to be the last, so there was no "reminder that his exit from the show as a regular character is right around the corner". In fact it would have been weird to have him removed for the final season.
              my reminder of his exit from the show from watching the season 8 intro was just a personal reminder for me. my situation is quite different seeing as how unlike most people who werent aware of his departure as of yet when they were watching season 8 during its initial airing, somebody spoiled it for me and told me ahead of time that rda leaves after season 8. seeing all the good times he had during the course of the show during the intro just gave me a personal reminder of what we'd be losing once rda left the show at the end of the season. in my case, it was purely a reminder for me and no one else.

i might be misinterpreting what youre saying but im not saying that he shouldnt have been removed from the intro entirely, just slightly modified to properly convey his current status on the show. when don davis used to be in the intro for previous seasons, they would show his role properly as the commander of the sgc. if i remember correctly, he too was on an away mission or two when he was commander but that still didnt change his depiction in the intro of being commander. i respect all of your opinions but the more i watch season 8, the more i feel the intro just doesnt fit right with the status of the show in that season.

i wasnt aware that season 8 was supposed to be the last season. as i mentioned before, its kind of an awkward situation for me because im not watching the series during its initial airing like most people did.

Comment

Originally posted by Petra View Post
                3. It's a reminder that he was a part of SG-1, thus his relationship with them is so different to what any other general would have had. From that POV, it's actually a great continuity.

4. Whether Jack was or wasn't a part of SG-1 throughout season 8 is a matter of perception. I mean, technically he obviously wasn't, but as I said earlier, he remained close with SG-1, much closer than with any other team, due to their shared history.
                i understand that he was close to sg-1, i just thought that maybe they couldve found a better way to convey this without giving people the false impression that he was always going to be going on away missions with sg-1 like old times. when you word it that way however, it actually makes it sound commendable if that was their intention to begin with, i respect them for that. i just think that there couldve been a better way to depict their friendship without leaving it open so much to misinterpretation.

Comment

I think you're over-analyzing the intro...
                  Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                  Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                  On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
                    this doesnt really bother me all that much if thats the impression that i gave. its just something to talk about, ya know? a friendly debate among stargate fans.

Comment

rda was still staring in the show in season 8, which is why he was in the theme. and this might be a spoiler, but since you already know he "leaves", i'll just say he's in a few episodes of season 9+. and his lack of appearances in action is because he is now head of the sgc. it would be like hammond going on a mission.

that being said, throughout season 8 o'neill definitely still has a close relationship to his old team.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post

this doesnt really bother me all that much if thats the impression that i gave. its just something to talk about, ya know? a friendly debate among stargate fans.
                        Actually, I'd have to say that it's a non-issue, since the teeny little bit being talked about only lasts about one second, out of the entire 44 minutes of each episode.

And Jack did actually go through the gate in Season 8 (as I mentioned before) in "It's Good to be King". We saw him exit the gate on Maybourne's planet.

Comment

even though o'neill is no longer part of sg-1 and is sgc's commander, why is it that he's still shown in the season 8 intro walking into a stargate? from what ive watched in this season so far, i have yet to see o'neill go on an away mission with sg-1. hell, i havent even seen a scene where he was away from the base. i know that its because rda accepted to stay on for another season as long as he had a reduced workload which explains why all of his scenes are only in the sgc but why couldnt they have modified the intro a tiny bit to only show sam, daniel, and teal'c walking into the stargate at the end of the intro? the intro just doesnt fit into the continuity of the show.

this also bothers me because everytime i watch the intro, its a depressing reminder that o'neill is no longer a part of sg-1. its also a constant looming reminder that his exit from the show as a regular character is right around the corner.

my point of all this is, why couldnt they have just spent an extra few bucks to create a slightly different intro sequence from episode 3 of season 8 and on that only shows sam, daniel and teal'c walking into the stargate instead of all four of them. this disappoints me because its a sign of laziness on the show's producers part. no im not THAT upset about this, its just something i decided to point out that doesnt fit with the show in season 8. the intro is one of the first things people see when they watch an episode. showing all four of them walk into the stargate gives a false interpretation of what to expect in the episode.
                          They left the four-man team walking through the stargate in the introduction sequence to remind the audience that the focus will continue to be on all four team members. Though Jack is now in command of the entire base, he's still part of the team (unofficially) even though he's no longer leading them through the stargate. At least, that is how I interpret it. I don't want to give away spoilers, but you will see O'Neill step through the stargate in three episodes this season. After this season, he returns for four guest appearances.

Season 9: "Avalon, Part 1" / "Origin"
                          Season 10: "200" / "The Shroud"

He also returns in the second movie, Stargate: Continuum, in a supporting role.
                          Last edited by Snowman37; 03 September 2011, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Personally I love that shot of them all walking through the gate at the end of the credits, and I would have been annoyed if they'd taken it out in S8, so it's a YMMV issue. A shot of Sam, Daniel and Teal'c alone would be look wrong IMO, especially as RDA almost has more screentime in S8 than he did in S7. I'm not even sure there are that many suitable SDT clips to choose from.

the intro is one of the first things people see when they watch an episode. showing all four of them walk into the stargate gives a false interpretation of what to expect in the episode.
                            And there are a lot of episodes over all 10 seasons where none of the team goes through the gate or one of the actors is missing for whatever reason or the team doesn't interact as a team and they don't have alternate credits for all those senarios.

Comment

Actually, I think showing just Sam, Daniel and Teal'c going through the gate together would be more misleading than that old clip of the original team. One of my giant beefs about season 8 (which I do generally like) is that the new SG1 almost never went off world together.

Comment

Working...
                              X