This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greek Mythology

As far as I'm aware, the story of Atlantis does originate from Greek mythology. Now, we know that stargate has been based on several mythologies, with norse gods as grey aliens, and egyptian gods as parasitic beings, amongst others, but I don't believe any Greek mythology has been touched on yet.

I'm kinda curious if we'll be seeing some greek mythology in Atlantis. I've always loved the whole mythological aspect to stargate, so I'm quite curious as to whether some of the old greek mythology may be fit into the Atlantis show.

Kronos was the King of the Titans. Zeus' father. . . . That's the only example I can think of at the moment, but there have been many more already touched on it the Stargate universe. . . .
    efficiency is nothing more than intelligent laziness

Comment

Atlantis is not really part of greek mythology...it was written by plato...about a city destroyed by volcano and earth quake...take present day Santorini..its the much later generations that have made atlantis a myth...But i would agree that no mythology has been added to this series...and its one of the things that i liked best about the shows

Comment

well, . . the story of Atlantis was first written down by Plato, but it was supposedly his teacher, Aristotle, that passed the story on to him. Maybe it doesn't directly correspond to established "Greek mythology" in terms of Mount Olympus and such, but the story itself can definitely be traced back to Greek origins, if not further.
        efficiency is nothing more than intelligent laziness

Comment

well...if they wanted to go into the atlantis plato thing...they could go in to the real historys of the minoans, because real greek myth has no atlantis storys to chose from as a base. All the atlantis myths you hear about are a bunch of made up things with no real myth base behind it.But the minoans really did live in the area of islands that would have been considered atlantis by plato....I think that would be a interesting thing to add...better then the genii thing by far!

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainE420
            well, . . the story of Atlantis was first written down by Plato, but it was supposedly his teacher, Aristotle, that passed the story on to him. Maybe it doesn't directly correspond to established "Greek mythology" in terms of Mount Olympus and such, but the story itself can definitely be traced back to Greek origins, if not further.
            Aistotle was Plato´s PUPIL not teacher. And Plato claimed that he get his information from his ancestor Solon who found it from egyptians but as we don´t know actally almost anythig else it is just pointless speculating.
            Last edited by Rhodan; 28 January 2005, 12:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhodan
              Aistotle was Plato´s PUPIL not teacher. And Plato claimed that he get his information from his ancestor Solon who found it from egyptians but as we don´t know actally almost anythig else it is just pointless speculating.
              Right. It is believed that the story came, orginally, from Egypt. So that actually ties very well in with Stargate mythos.

Of course no one knows if the story ever had any element of truth to it, or if it's a complete fabrication. Most likely, whatever truth it did contain, is far removed from the tale that eventually became the myth.

Comment

from what i guess the idea of atlantis was the only thing taken from the greeks. remember the ancient repostitory both times didn't look greek at all. they had their own culture. their more like people from the future only their not.

i don't think theey'll really look into greek mythlogy.

Comment

Originally posted by crazysmoke
                  from what i guess the idea of atlantis was the only thing taken from the greeks. remember the ancient repostitory both times didn't look greek at all. they had their own culture. their more like people from the future only their not.

i don't think theey'll really look into greek mythlogy.
                  The statue the repository was in in TLC1 was Greek though.

Comment

None of it is greek, a greek man writing something doesnt mean it comes from greek anything except the hand.

The idea of atlantis is much older as someone pointed out, a lot of the greek ideas were taken as it was

Comment

Plato was greek wasnt he...so it leads to greek myths....but it doesnt matter beacuse the stargate unvierse has to do with Egypt myth and greek myths....I would be amazing if Atlantis was real.. ......people still debt over it.....

Comment

Atlantis seems to be moving away from SG-1's mythological roots.

As does SG-1.
                        Last edited by Mr Prophet; 28 January 2005, 12:00 PM.
                        Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                        - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper
                          Plato was greek wasnt he...so it leads to greek myths....but it doesnt matter beacuse the stargate unvierse has to do with Egypt myth and greek myths....I would be amazing if Atlantis was real.. ......people still debt over it.....
                          if u wanna mix greek n atlantis, supposedly the remains of the solidified Kraken from greek mythology leads the way to atlantis...

chances are atlantis did exist, im sure more the one island has been destroyed over time by mother earth

Anubis itself, how is he leaving, other than getting bad ass lol. His origins are the same, but almost none of the myths they used remained true, that would be boring

Comment

As CaptianE20 states the only greek mythological character introduced was Kronos who Teal'c kills. The Go'auld have coopted many mythologies not only Egyptian. An example is Nerti and YU.
                            I believe the writers should use mythology of Medusa. The snakes in her hair would be larval Go'auld. The ability of turning one to stone could be another use of the harness.The character history could be explained as bad press by other Go'auld.

Comment

How would u explain snakes in the hair....larva goauld, they need a special condition area to survive...no where near someone head lol

They use a lot more mythologys when it comes to the good guys as well, thor...?lol

Comment

Working...
                              X