X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steve Jobs Resigns as Apple CEO

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...250892702.html

Apple Inc.'s ailing chief executive Steve Jobs is officially stepping down from the helm of the company, a historic shift that hands the reins to chief operating officer Tim Cook.
    The company said Mr. Jobs submitted his resignation to the board of directors on Wednesday and "strongly recommended" that the board name Mr. Cook as his successor. Mr. Jobs has been elected chairman of the board and Mr. Cook will join the board, effective immediately, the company said.
    "The Board has complete confidence that Tim is the right person to be our next CEO," said Art Levinson, chairman of Genentech and Apple board member, in a statement. He added that Mr. Jobs will "continue to serve Apple with his unique insights, creativity and inspiration."

very sad day but he's been looking terrible at recent apple events
    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

His health hasn't been good for some time now
    sigpic

Comment

Not surprising, considering his health issues.
      If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
      Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
      If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
      Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

speaking of health probs, does he still suffer from his "Bill gates wannabe" complex?

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
          speaking of health probs, does he still suffer from his "Bill gates wannabe" complex?
          Considering the surprising success of the overpriced iPod, Pad and Phone, I think it's Bill Gates who has the complex now.

sigpic

Comment

It was bound to happen sooner rather than later. Will be interesting to see if he makes any apparence, brief or not, at the next Apple event, which, if history has taught us anything, ought to be sooner rather than later.
            My Stargate fan fiction @ FF.net | NEW: When Cassie Calls Teal'c.

Comment

I thought he did that a few months ago when he confirmed his health issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Goose View Post
                It was bound to happen sooner rather than later. Will be interesting to see if he makes any apparence, brief or not, at the next Apple event, which, if history has taught us anything, ought to be sooner rather than later.
                I suspect it will be sooner, as their stock will probably lose a few points and they'll want to get it back up quickly.

sigpic

Comment

Indeed. But this was hardly unexpected given his ailing health.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jsonitsac View Post
                    He took a leave of absence a while back but still officially held the position (until now).

I wonder if Jobs' health is worse than has been made public. Jack Layton, leader of the opposition party here in Canada, lost his battle to cancer a few days ago. I can't help but wonder if the same is imminent for Steve Jobs....
                    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by jsonitsac View Post
                      He pretty much resigned in all but name in January. Tim Cook has been running the show since then, so to say. Now it's just official.
                      My Stargate fan fiction @ FF.net | NEW: When Cassie Calls Teal'c.

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
                        um.

Jobs and Woz started it all.
                        Gates copied it.
                        Just like how Windows copies all of OSX's innovations.
                        Still.

Jobs is/was an innovator. He knew where the future was going to be, and made it happen. He changed the way to think and do things.
                        Windows was just a UI.
                        A UI that was copied from Apple.

Comment

Originally posted by Morbo View Post

[...]

He knew where the future was going to be, and made it happen.
                          fine by me - replace "Bill gates wannabe" with "godhood" :|
                          (that being said the former was meant with regard to financial success, so it still stands)

Comment

Originally posted by Morbo View Post
                            um.

Gates copied it.
                            Just like how Windows copies all of OSX's innovations.
                            Still.

Jobs is/was an innovator. He knew where the future was going to be, and made it happen. He changed the way to think and do things.
                            Windows was just a UI.
                            A UI that was copied from Apple.
                            Apple copied the original GUI design being used in-house at Xerox. MP3 players were already on the market when the iPod came along. Smartphones were already on the market when the iPhone appeared.

Jobs and the Woz aren't innovators at all. What they're good (damn good) at is taking an existing product and making it unfathomably popular. Apple's success isn't in doing new things at all, everything they've ever done was done by someone else first. But Jobs and Woz are phenomenal and visionary marketers.

On-topic, I don't think Steve Jobs has much time left I hope I'm wrong and I wish him all the best, but he doesn't look like he has long.
                            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Working...
                            X