The Naked Archeology Appreciation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Naked Archeology Appreciation Thread

This is a thread for the show "Naked Archeology".

The Naked Archaeologist is a television show produced for VisionTV in Canada and History International in the US that is hosted and prepared by the Emmy Award–winning journalist Simcha Jacobovici together with Avri Gilad. The show ultimately reviews Biblical stories, then tries to find proof for them by exploring the Holy Land looking for archaeological evidence, personal inferences, deductions, and interviews with scholars and experts.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Naked_Archaeologist

My favorite episode is "True Blue" where they explore the religious significance of the color blue. The big problem is the that the color comes from an animal called a Hilazon in the Bible. There is a bit of a disagreement of what this animal is. Archeology says it's from snails, but some believe it's from the Cuttlefish.

Here's another page on the matter:

http://jhom.com/topics/color/tekhelet.htm

And you do get to see actual archeology that is linked with the Bible.

But the thing I like most about this show is that you do get to learn about some history that normally would in places like college classes and the like.

So is anybody else a fan of this show?

Never seen the show.

The hilazon is most likely a species of sea snail, most likely the murex snail or an extinct close relative of the murex snail. Murex snail is found in the "right" area- coastal land of the Zevulun tribe between Haifa and Tyre, and they are known to have been used as a source of dye (the famed Tyrian purple)- and the same dye solution that produces Tyrian purple will consistently produce indigo blue when exposed to sunlight.

Cuttlefish ink doesn't produce the required color.
    If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

I watch the Naked Archeologist fairly regularly. I remember the episode you mention. It was very interesting how they used the snails to produce the dye. I've also enjoyed episodes where they've tried to determine the location of certain ancient sites based on biblical clues. They tried to triangulate based on distance to known sites and average travel time by caravan.
      sigpic

Comment

The awkward moment when you’re an archaeology student that’s never heard of this show before :/ lol what's it about?
        sigpic

Comment

what's it about?
          Are you joking?

If not that tells me you didn't read my post nor check out my link.

Comment

Originally posted by Crias View Post
            The awkward moment when you’re an archaeology student that’s never heard of this show before :/ lol what's it about?
            Well, I'm an Archaeologist and I've never heard of it. I do live in the UK though and I doubt we get it over here, plenty of Time Team to watch instead.
            sigpic

Comment

Time Team is fun. Love how they do an entire dig in a weekend. Nothing like doing archeology by backhoe. We haven't had any episodes of Time Team in awhile in the States. Not even on BBCAmerica. I think it used to be carried on the History Channel.
              sigpic

Comment

I love Time Team!
                My Stargate fan fiction @ FF.net | NEW: When Cassie Calls Teal'c.

Comment

I've seen the Naked Archaeology episode mentioned, and a few others as well. Interesting show!

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                  Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
                  sigpic
                  now also appearing on DeviantArt
                  Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
                    Time Team is fun. Love how they do an entire dig in a weekend. Nothing like doing archeology by backhoe. We haven't had any episodes of Time Team in awhile in the States. Not even on BBCAmerica. I think it used to be carried on the History Channel.
                    Originally posted by Goose View Post
                    I love Time Team!
                    Time Team is closer to Test pit or Rescue Archaeology than proper digs would be but it has the capability of reaching lots of people and getting them interested in Archaeology which is a good thing. I prefered Two men in a trench to Time Team myself but there you go.
                    sigpic

Comment

This is not about Time Team!

Comment

Originally posted by Galileo_Galilee View Post
                        This is not about Time Team!
                        Calm down, it's just a friendly discussion.
                        sigpic

Comment

Not about the show I like or know. It's disrespectful to derail a thread in this way. The other appreciation threads don't get derailed like this. And people get on to those that do attempt to derail thew thread like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Galileo_Galilee View Post
                            Not about the show I like or know. It's disrespectful to derail a thread in this way. The other appreciation threads don't get derailed like this. And people get on to those that do attempt to derail thew thread like this.
                            I wasn't attempting to derail anything, it's only four posts. If it offends you then I'm sorry but you need to calm down a bit.
                            sigpic

Comment

Goodness, it was just a couple of comments on the similarities between two archeology based television programs - one hosted by a Canadian and another British. Frankly the U.S. doesn't have a comparable series.

Sometimes I wish The Naked Archeologist would visit other locations outside of the Holy Land. It would be interesting.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X