Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wraith Questions

Hi

I am an avid Atlantis fan n I was just wondering about the interaction between wraith and humans. Because up until the Altantis expedition got there the wraith ate people end of story. But ever since Shepperd met Todd, the wraith under his command have gotten a lot friendlier towards humans. (I.e. the different versions of treatment with the hoffman drug) So I was wondering if there was any hope of a wraith human coalition of sorts in which the wraith may or may not still eat people but are able to live on the same planet as them and combine their knowledge with the knowledge of the humans.

I think I'm due for an SGA re-watch, as towards the end of the series I remember Michael and Todd working on the ability to remove the need for feeding. I'm not too sure, but I do remember Todd working on his own variation of the Hoffan drug (as Michael did) but not sure what his real endgame was.

sigpic

Comment

Just to check - have you seen all 5 series of Atlantis? I don't want to ruin anything for you.

I suppose it is possible for this to happen but it is very unlikely, wraith only tend to work with humans when they need to do so to gain something, it is a means to an end and not something they do in the search to advance their knowledge. And would you really want to live on a planet with some wraith, even if they had promised not to harm you.
      sigpic

Comment

It all hinges on finding the Wraith something else they can eat. If you did that some of them, likely mostly the ones born after this change, would probably start to take more notice of the fact that they're really just a type of human themselves.

A fully integrated society would also offer theoretical biological immortality and removal of aging, or at least vastly extended lifespan, for even its human members via Wraith life infusions, so there's definitely a pretty big incentive to get it working.

The Wraith members would gain more secure and stable lives, not having to worry about chasing down their next meal, being killed by a pissed off queen, or sleeping for hundreds of years just so they don't starve to death.

Comment

But if Wraith get normal human food to eat, will there be enough food to go around? Wouldn't there come another war because of starvation? Or wouldn't the wraith, as dominant as they are, force the humans to starve and get all the harvests? I think getting the Wraith to feed on something else isn't the right solution. Making feeding less painful or less mortal and devastating might help. What if feeding was something they could just do with a handshake and only cause a tingling? *imagination running wild here*

I think the war has escalated to much however. But there might be Wraith who will start to rebel against this war and start to adapt more.
          It would be a perfect world, but I think the Wraith are kinda used to dominating humanity and kinda like it too. Why make compromises if you can have it all? Isn't that kind of their motto?
          On your knees human!! *hiss*

Comment

Thing is they actually have very little. They have dominion over a bunch of primitive planets that they wake up every few hundred years to feed from again.

Their entire culture and society is stunted do to them constantly living on the brink of extinction through starvation.

You don't sell them the idea of an alternate food source on the basis that it's about being nicer to humans. You sell it to them on the basis that it's a liberation for themselves. Liberation from the constant fear of extinction, from the ruthless competition for rare human food and territory, from the requirement of having their lives interrupted for centuries of hibernation and spending what little time they do have awake simply feeding and getting ready to go back to sleep again.

We know that they do have a very human like psychology so I've got to think that this would hold appeal for them. The appeal of leading actual lives that don't just revolve around waking up for a few years out of every hundred to eat then rushing back to bed before they have time to starve to death.

Comment

They will be exterminated during the next sleep cycle.

Comment

Even if the Wraith no longer had to "feed" on humans,Why would that neccesarlly mean they would not 'eat' them?

Like in that one episode.
                I like Sharky
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Flyattractor View Post
                  Even if the Wraith no longer had to "feed" on humans,Why would that neccesarlly mean they would not 'eat' them?

Like in that one episode.
                  The do enjoy eating humans.

Comment

Originally posted by morrismike View Post
                    They will be exterminated during the next sleep cycle.
                    You know, the threat of that might actually be key to getting them to adopt an alternate food source.

You put it to them like this.

"Oh sure you don't want the alternate food source and would rather hibernate until all the tasty humans grow back, ok. Lets see what your rivals think about staying awake while you're hibernating though."

Or the more direct approach.

"So once you're done with your little galactic rampage here I suppose you'll all just go back to hibernating right? How long do you do it for, one, two hundred years. Probably for a while this time considering how badly you've depleted all your food stock right. You know, I wonder how many orbital nukes we can build in 200 years. More than you've got hives? Well, sweet dreams guys, see you in the morning, or maybe sooner."

Shotgun diplomacy for sure but it's just stating reality. "You want a war with human kind collectively. Ok, well humankind doesn't sleep for hundreds of years at a time and we're perfectly willing to cut your throats when you do if it comes to that. So are we going to work out some kind of a compromise or do we ramp up naquada production early."

Comment

Or would it be a case of since the Wraith no longer need us a "food souce" it might just be time for a little mass extermination to go on.
                      Don't need no other little race thinking it can be better then us Wraith.
                      Might be scary to see the Wraith turn their technology away from the non-violent type weapons to full on destructive power.
                      I like Sharky
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
                        You know, the threat of that might actually be key to getting them to adopt an alternate food source.

You put it to them like this.

"Oh sure you don't want the alternate food source and would rather hibernate until all the tasty humans grow back, ok. Lets see what your rivals think about staying awake while you're hibernating though."

Or the more direct approach.

"So once you're done with your little galactic rampage here I suppose you'll all just go back to hibernating right? How long do you do it for, one, two hundred years. Probably for a while this time considering how badly you've depleted all your food stock right. You know, I wonder how many orbital nukes we can build in 200 years. More than you've got hives? Well, sweet dreams guys, see you in the morning, or maybe sooner."

Shotgun diplomacy for sure but it's just stating reality. "You want a war with human kind collectively. Ok, well humankind doesn't sleep for hundreds of years at a time and we're perfectly willing to cut your throats when you do if it comes to that. So are we going to work out some kind of a compromise or do we ramp up naquada production early."
                        From a practical standpoint they can't allow earth to survive if they hope to hibernate. In 200 years we'll have thousands of 304s and we will have colonized the PG. The wraith will wake up to a whole can of whoopass.

Comment

I think that the wraith in PG would be a lot more receptive of the retro virus if it was shown to be as a benefit to them cus in the epsiode where todd infected his crew he did so only because he thought it would give them an advantage over the other hives. Also what do u guys think about the asgard in PG do u think that they would be open to entering into a wraith-human-asgard alliance??

Comment

Originally posted by morrismike View Post
                            From a practical standpoint they can't allow earth to survive if they hope to hibernate. In 200 years we'll have thousands of 304s and we will have colonized the PG. The wraith will wake up to a whole can of whoopass.
                            Pretty much exactly this. You just have to get in touch with some of their leaders and explain the realities of the situation to them like it is. That you're already technologically superior to them and how in 200 years your forces will be numerically superior as well.

They can start thinking about coexistence now, and being recognized themselves as a type of human being with all the rights and protections that implies in exchange. Or they can keep acting like monsters, pressing their luck gambling to find Earth before they have to hibernate again, and as a result face a war against an adversary that's had hundreds of years to mobilize their forces and industry to conquer or annihilate them when they next awaken, or even before.

Also let them in on the fact that Earth went from barely being able to visit it's own moon in a tiny capsule to their current "dead hive in 3 shots" tech level in less than 2 decades, and how it just liberated an entire civilization with post ancient technology from enslavement and are in the beginning stages of establishing a trans galactic alliance of multiple races.

Also remind them that with the intergalactic drive and beaming technology Earth has and a couple of centuries to work with it will be entirely possible to simply evacuate the significantly diminished post culling human population of the Pegasus galaxy before they're next able to awaken. There will simply never be another feeding cycle unless Earth deliberately allows it. Or any number of other things that are possible when your adversary is 99% asleep and helpless and can't even wake up without killing itself.

Spell all this out to them and basically just dare them to keep up their ****.

Trick is to to mix this kind of "keep ****ing with us and we'll **** with you ever so much worse" type attitude with plenty of talk about how you hope it doesn't come to that and descriptions of all the good things they'll get from cooperation with Earth and its allies.

'cause honestly Earth could really use them. It would be a true loss for humanity if our creepy little cousins were wiped out. Their shipbuilding technologies could open space on the cheap and enmasse for the entire human race, and their touch can reverse human aging or even bring back the recently dead.
                            Last edited by Ouroboros; 28 August 2011, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Yeah, but would the wraith retain their healing touch if they switched to another food source?
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X