PDA

View Full Version : How I Met Your Mother (CBS) News/Discussion/Speculation (SPOILERS S9/Finale)

Spimman
August 16th, 2011, 11:02 AM
How I Met Your Mother (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_I_Met_Your_Mother) (HIMYM) is one of the funniest sitcoms on TV and so I wanted to start a thread to discuss all things related to HIMYM. This can include current episodes, future news, pictures, speculation, favorite quotes, guess's about who the mother is or who Barney is going to marry, anything and everything.

IcarusAbides
August 16th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Loved the first few series of HIMYM but the last couple have gone down in quality I think. It got a bit stale after Marshall and Lily moved out and got their own place. And now that Jason Segel wants to leave the show I'm not sure how it would fare without him.

Although I do have to say that Barney is one of the greatest TV characters ever created and is the main reason I still watch the show.

Spimman
August 16th, 2011, 01:12 PM
The most recent season had quite a few more serious episodes and storylines, but I think I've grown to like the characters so much that I enjoy it.

I love how so many themes and little manerisms are held steady through all the seasons, like the song "Murder Train" and "Robin Sparkles" plus I think Marshell still has one slap left :D

Pharaoh Hamenthotep
August 16th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Although I do have to say that Barney is one of the greatest TV characters ever created and is the main reason I still watch the show.

Indeed :D He makes it worth watching :cool: Neil Patrick Harris is awesome in everything he does :D ...He even saved the Smurf movie :S

Forget the rest of the cast... Rename it "How Barney Met your Mother"... :p:D *would watch it*

*edited because of the purple dinosaurs that the other title would attract :S

chrono trigger
August 16th, 2011, 07:35 PM
i love barney:D and like everyone else except ted who annoys me a little but im probably on my own with that one.

Spimman
August 17th, 2011, 05:54 AM
i love barney:D and like everyone else except ted who annoys me a little but im probably on my own with that one.

Teddy Westside is awesome, he is also the glue that holds all the other characters together. Barney, like George on Seinfeld, may be the best character but like George without Jerry wouldn't work I don't think Barney without Ted would work either.

The Barnacle really has grown a lot in the last couple of seasons, which is cool!

Spimman
August 17th, 2011, 06:42 AM
And now that Jason Segel wants to leave the show I'm not sure how it would fare without him.

Segel's contract with the hit comedy expires in 2013, he said, and he doesn't plan to stick around to play bumbling married guy Marshall Eriksen one minute longer.

"I think after eight years, I'll feel like I honorably did my commitment. It's funny -- it's the greatest problem in the world to have. Jeez, I'm the luckiest guy in the world. But when your idol is Peter Sellers, playing one character for eight years isn't what you're trying to do," he told the magazine.

Source (http://www.spoilertv.com/2010/07/thanks-to-charliefan4life-for-heads-up.html)

CBS has already picked up the 8th Season of HIMYM (which Jason Segel is under contract for), which will likely be the final season. That gives the writers 2 full seasons to properly wrap up the show. :cool:

jelgate
August 17th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Its legen wait for it dairy:P

jmoz
August 17th, 2011, 04:30 PM
Loved the first few series of HIMYM but the last couple have gone down in quality I think. It got a bit stale after Marshall and Lily moved out and got their own place. And now that Jason Segel wants to leave the show I'm not sure how it would fare without him.

What he/she said. Slap Bet was hilarious. Barney antics are fun to watch.

mr_kennedy
August 18th, 2011, 01:20 AM
I just got into this show this year i dont know how i could have missed it for so long :o

Its legen wait for it dairy:P

This :D cant wait for more

Kilgharrah
September 26th, 2011, 12:41 PM
New episode tonight. Can't wait.

mr_kennedy
September 27th, 2011, 02:10 PM
Wasnt as funny as last weeks, but they all dont have to be hilarious for it to be a good episode

wonder if we will see Barney wearing that tie for every episode this season?

Kilgharrah
September 27th, 2011, 09:06 PM
wonder if we will see Barney wearing that tie for every episode this season?
They said a whole year, so if they have to keep it, it has to stay till (803)

mr_kennedy
September 30th, 2011, 12:03 AM
They said a whole year, so if they have to keep it, it has to stay till (803)

HAHA that would be funny

Spimman
September 30th, 2011, 05:13 AM
I doubt he'll have it on in every episode, but I agree it will be around for a year.

Ukko
September 30th, 2011, 10:53 AM
Both boobs, one minute, one squeeze. :p:D

P-90_177
September 30th, 2011, 11:21 AM
I doubt he'll have it on in every episode, but I agree it will be around for a year.

Bet you it's directly related to him getting married. :P

Spimman
September 30th, 2011, 11:26 AM
"Lily, are you really suggesting that Barney spent six months commuting back and forth to Hoboken to learn a signature cooking style of a restaurant he doesn't even like to win a bet he hadn't even made yet? Yeah, the whole thing stinks." - Robin

Kilgharrah
September 30th, 2011, 01:18 PM
HIMYM did that more than once. Kept something for a long time and it didn't even get annoying in a while. In fact, you forget about it later and don't even notice it. Then suddenly it's gone. I think it's a keeper.

Both boobs, one minute, one squeeze. :p:D
Classic

mr_kennedy
September 30th, 2011, 08:33 PM
HIMYM did that more than once. Kept something for a long time and it didn't even get annoying in a while. In fact, you forget about it later and don't even notice it. Then suddenly it's gone. I think it's a keeper.

Classic

You talking about the slapbet?

Kilgharrah
October 1st, 2011, 06:53 AM
You talking about the slapbet?
Not just that. There are many others. I can't remember what else, but this happens a lot. The fact that I don't remember prooves my point.

jelgate
October 1st, 2011, 09:07 AM
Not just that. There are many others. I can't remember what else, but this happens a lot. The fact that I don't remember prooves my point.All it really proves is you may have a bad memory.

Kilgharrah
October 1st, 2011, 07:41 PM
All it really proves is you may have a bad memory.
No arguments there. That's something that was proven ages ago. ;)

Spimman
October 3rd, 2011, 09:56 AM
Not just that. There are many others. I can't remember what else, but this happens a lot. The fact that I don't remember prooves my point.

Here's a few

Dopplegangers
Lily saying SonofaB**** in that funny voice
Marshel's tall cat in the hat style hat has made a few appearances
The Song Murdertrain
Slap Bet
Robin Sparkles
Barney's Blog
Ranjit the Driver

mr_kennedy
October 3rd, 2011, 05:09 PM
Dopplegangers, Slap Bet & Robin Sparkles are about the best ones :D

mr_kennedy
October 3rd, 2011, 09:03 PM
The Robot Uncle Owen almost bought from the Jawas :lol:

Spimman
October 4th, 2011, 05:10 AM
The Robot Uncle Owen almost bought from the Jawas :lol:

I died laughing at that one! :lol:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y202/spimman/pic.jpg

mr_kennedy
October 4th, 2011, 02:46 PM
http://www.stinsonbreastreduction.com/
http://www.linsonbreastlawsuit.com/

Kilgharrah
October 8th, 2011, 08:43 AM
Here's a few

Dopplegangers
Marshel's tall cat in the hat style hat has made a few appearances
The Song Murdertrain
Slap Bet
Robin Sparkles
Barney's Blog
Ranjit the Driver

Lily's "you're dead to me" look.
Barney's high pitched voice.
Ted Mosby, Architect.
Cigarettes. "Last Cigarette ever"

mr_kennedy
October 12th, 2011, 01:59 AM
his still wearing the ducky tie haha

Spimman
October 12th, 2011, 05:16 AM
This weeks episode wasn't as funny, but still enjoyable.

Sp!der
November 14th, 2011, 12:53 AM
I love Season 7, much more than Season 6, anyway!!!And this weeks episode was great, I like the new robin friend guy, hes quite funny actually!

LT. COL. John Sheppard
February 22nd, 2012, 01:49 AM
every one knows Robins Shrink/Boy friend how his name is Kevin and he is from Asia one of my old mates from school is from Indonesia and his name i Kevin

LT. COL. John Sheppard
February 22nd, 2012, 01:50 AM

lol the Spanish, that reminded me of Lilys 1930s smoker's voice lol :lol:

RoK
April 8th, 2012, 12:49 AM
Ah yes, How I Met Your Mother. Funny show. I do enjoy it. As for the slap bet, Marshall has two left. In order to stop wearing the ducky tie, Barney agreed to give Marshall 3 more slaps, bringing the total up to 8. Marshall then promptly used 2 of the slaps right then.

Also, I love how Barney's one quarter Canadian, since he's kept mocking Canada throughout the series.

Spimman
May 1st, 2012, 06:36 AM
Lily waking up swaddled was hilarious. As a parent who has swaddled many a baby many a time I died laughing!

python490
May 2nd, 2012, 09:38 AM
I think they should think about ending it soon because its dragging a long now, IMHO. Its a great show though, I loved the first 5 seasons.

RoK
May 3rd, 2012, 02:07 AM
I think they should think about ending it soon because its dragging a long now, IMHO. Its a great show though, I loved the first 5 seasons.

There's going to be at least 8 seasons. CBS confirmed that they are doing another season of the show. The show itself should be ending right around 2015, I'm assuming. Going by some indications from the show itself (mainly Ted's kids), they were born somewhere around that year, seeing that in 2030, they're in their teens. So, at least one more year of the show that we know of.

LT. COL. John Sheppard
May 3rd, 2012, 02:33 AM
I know who the mother is!

jelgate
May 3rd, 2012, 11:56 AM
So do I. Ted's wife is the mother

Ukko
May 3rd, 2012, 12:05 PM

Oh great! Thanks for the spoilers. *Cries* :p

Spimman
May 3rd, 2012, 02:44 PM

Rumors say next season could likely be the last, but you never know if it's true or just actors wanting more money. I still find the show hilarious, but it has become more of a comedy\drama which as I've grown to enjoy as I like the characters.

I do miss early HIMYM Barney though! (at times)

Ukko
May 3rd, 2012, 03:03 PM
Rumors say next season could likely be the last, but you never know if it's true or just actors wanting more money. I still find the show hilarious, but it has become more of a comedy\drama which as I've grown to enjoy as I like the characters.

I do miss early HIMYM Barney though! (at times)

I miss "suit up" Barney. I dont think he's said that in ages.

jelgate
May 3rd, 2012, 04:45 PM

I do miss early HIMYM Barney though! (at times)I say its a ploy to want more money. I have lost track of how many times actors and producers says they are ending just to get more money. Its just PR to get more money.

RoK
May 4th, 2012, 02:41 AM
I do believe Season Eight is Jason Siegel's (Marshall) last season. At least that's what I've heard. He has been contracted to do that season. Other than that, I have no idea.

jelgate
May 4th, 2012, 09:03 AM
That happens all the time as a show ages.

Spimman
May 4th, 2012, 08:14 PM
I miss "suit up" Barney. I dont think he's said that in ages.

Early HIMYM was Awesome, but at the same time if he hadn't evolved as a character the show would likely be pretty stale at this point.

I do believe Season Eight is Jason Siegel's (Marshall) last season. At least that's what I've heard. He has been contracted to do that season. Other than that, I have no idea.

It will likely depend on how his movie career and such are doing and how much they offer him, he'll go where he can make the most money. I think doing the show keeps his name\face recognition high which helps him get these movies so I hope he stays.

LT. COL. John Sheppard
May 5th, 2012, 03:44 AM
it's Barneys Sister

jelgate
May 5th, 2012, 07:27 AM
Thier is no proof for that

Spimman
May 5th, 2012, 11:46 AM
Like Jel said, no proof but it possibility...

We know Barney has a sister that was away at college.
We know "The Mother" was in the class Ted taught by mistake.
We know they meet at Barney's wedding.
I think he would be Uncle Barney no matter what so I don't buy that one.

Maybe we'll get a hint at the finale' since Barney's wife is revealed.

BTW - Doing spoiler tags within tags is annoying! :S

RoK
May 5th, 2012, 05:37 PM
Question. Who do you think Barney's wife is? I'm thinking either Robin or Quinn. Though I could be completely wrong.

mr_kennedy
May 5th, 2012, 06:09 PM
I bet It's Quinn

LT. COL. John Sheppard
May 6th, 2012, 11:38 PM
Question. Who do you think Barney's wife is? I'm thinking either Robin or Quinn. Though I could be completely wrong.
it is Robin one ep in S7 confirmed that with Robin doing the 'How i met your father' thing

Spimman
May 7th, 2012, 05:58 AM

Find out in one week, but I'm leaning towards Quinn but Robin is a definite strong possibility.

it is Robin one ep in S7 confirmed that with Robin doing the 'How i met your father' thing

Those flash forwards are potential futures. I believe at the end of the episode you're referring to Robin revealed it to be a false reality. Robin has no kids.

That being said I could see it being Robin and then using all of next season to show us how Quinn and Barney break up and Robin and Barney get back together\engaged\married.

LT. COL. John Sheppard
May 7th, 2012, 10:36 PM
i honestly want to see Barney wind up with Nora again

RoK
May 8th, 2012, 03:21 AM

I thought that was funny to see Barney's reaction when Robin told him that she was "pregnant".

Though as it turns out, Robin's kids didn't exist as she can't get pregnant at all.

LT. COL. John Sheppard
May 8th, 2012, 03:29 AM
I thought that was funny to see Barney's reaction when Robin told him that she was "pregnant".

Though as it turns out, Robin's kids didn't exist as she can't get pregnant at all.
i remember seeing something from S7 involving Lily and Barney hocking up so i though it was possible that lily was a surrogate for them

Spimman
May 8th, 2012, 05:54 AM
i honestly want to see Barney wind up with Nora again

I really liked Nora, while a long shot that would be interesting...

^ This is the correct comment. At the end when Robin found out she couldn't have kids that whole fake reality disappeared. I could be mistaken, but I even think the narrator (Future ted\Bob Saget) said she never had kids...not sure though.

jelgate
May 8th, 2012, 07:05 AM
I really liked Nora, while a long shot that would be interesting...

^ This is the correct comment. At the end when Robin found out she couldn't have kids that whole fake reality disappeared. I could be mistaken, but I even think the narrator (Future ted\Bob Saget) said she never had kids...not sure though.
I recall the writers saying they were done with Nora

Spimman
May 8th, 2012, 08:06 AM
I would be surprised to see her again. I didn't read that, but it sounds about right.

jelgate
May 8th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Never mind. I read it on the How I Met Your Mother wikia and those unreliable

Spimman
May 11th, 2012, 04:20 AM
I saw the promo for the finale on Big Bang Theory last night.

LT. COL. John Sheppard
May 11th, 2012, 05:16 AM
look good?

Spimman
May 14th, 2012, 06:45 AM
Indeed it does, I can't wait to see it tonight. I know I have my hopes up that at Barney's wedding we'll actually learn something substantial about the Mother, we'll see...

I'm hoping they stop stringing us along next season and actually show Ted and "the Mother" meeting, dating, falling in love and all of that!

RoK
May 14th, 2012, 09:26 PM
Saw the finale tonight. It was good. I like the baby's name, though I kind of already figured his first name.

Mavin Wait-For-It Eriksen

I like the door story that they told Lily to distract her from the pain. Funny. All and all, good episodes.

LT. COL. John Sheppard
May 15th, 2012, 02:27 AM
Lily Aldrin: He Naked-Muggered You?
Barney Stinson: Im Not Gonna ask where he's keeping the gun
Ted Mosby: Are You Sure It Was A Gun?

LT. COL. John Sheppard
May 15th, 2012, 02:28 AM
Marshall Erikson: Ranjet, screw gregor's take us to Coney Island
Ranjet: Screwing gregor's going to Coney Island

LT. COL. John Sheppard
May 15th, 2012, 02:28 AM
Barney Stinson: My Favorite 2 fish are the sucker fish and the blow fish

mr_kennedy
May 15th, 2012, 03:42 AM
I really enjoyed the season finale :) surprised about who the bride was but then i guess like ted said we shouldn't really be surprised

LT. COL. John Sheppard
May 15th, 2012, 03:42 AM
when was finale on? (in Aus)

jelgate
May 15th, 2012, 09:07 AM
I really enjoyed the season finale :) surprised about who the bride was but then i guess like ted said we shouldn't really be surprised

I saw it coming a mile a way. It was kind of obvious giving the way the stories have developed recently. That was the only downside. I was cracking up the rest of the hour. I loved the jokes comparing Lily to a horse

Spimman
May 15th, 2012, 09:46 AM
M: At least an 8 Ted

T: What is this?

M: Your problem and what Marvin left in his diaper are both a soft 2. :lol:

Ukko
May 15th, 2012, 10:15 AM
Wait For It...

Spimman
May 16th, 2012, 06:46 AM
News about whether next season will be the last (http://www.vulture.com/2012/05/himym-barneys-bride.html?mid=nymag_press)

You can only do so much planning for next season, though, because you don't know whether it's the final one.

You've hit upon a big issue for us. This is were business meets art. Right now, it's about actor deals and negotiations, and things we should know more about in the next few months. We're already breaking stories [for season eight] now, and it's tough not knowing if we're writing one or two more seasons ... it will affect what we're doing next year. So the hardest part is not quite knowing.

If you and Carter had the power to make the choice between eight or nine seasons, which would you choose?

It's going to be heartbreaking whenever it ends. Could it be a great ending after eight seasons? Yes. Could it be a great ending after nine seasons? Yes. But I won't say whether we're leaning one way or the other. When we were launching the show, we always thought eight seasons would be great for what we were trying to do. So eight would be awesome. But we just came off our best ratings year. We still think we have great stories to tell. I don't know. It's hard to say good-bye. I'm hoping we'll know soon, and whatever happens, I think we can wrap up the story in a great way. But if season eight is the last one, I'd want to announce it by [the time of the TV Critics Association summer press tour in July], and tell people, "Watch these last 24 episodes."

jelgate
May 16th, 2012, 07:08 AM
From a ratings standpoint I can't consider cancellation. The show is one of CBS highest rated shows. I suppose production values could be getting high. Thats is what kills a lot of the more populat shows. I really would like it go more then 8 seasons. I can see them doing Barney's wedding in the season but I really don't want the series finale to be just Ted meeting his future wife at Barney's wedding. I would like to see some time of development showing that relationship grow

Spimman
May 16th, 2012, 08:03 AM
I guess we'll find out if Jason Segel was just saying he was done after season 8 to get more money or if he is actually done.

Currently making $90K-120K\episode (http://have-you-met-ted.com/2009/how-i-met-your-mother-stars-see-raise-extended-contracts/)

If we use Seinfeld as a comparison I wouldn't doubt the CBS offers the cast triple what they're making now to do one more season.

LT. COL. John Sheppard
May 16th, 2012, 11:18 PM
From a ratings standpoint I can't consider cancellation. The show is one of CBS highest rated shows. I suppose production values could be getting high. Thats is what kills a lot of the more populat shows. I really would like it go more then 8 seasons. I can see them doing Barney's wedding in the season but I really don't want the series finale to be just Ted meeting his future wife at Barney's wedding. I would like to see some time of development showing that relationship grow
i know for a fact many people i know in Aus and NZ have stopped watching because they fell the show drags on and none of the episodes have anything to do with finding the Mother. Tho i'll never stop watching

LT. COL. John Sheppard
May 16th, 2012, 11:19 PM
So... What should we expect for S8?

Spimman
May 17th, 2012, 05:58 AM
i know for a fact many people i know in Aus and NZ have stopped watching because they fell the show drags on and none of the episodes have anything to do with finding the Mother. Tho i'll never stop watching

Have overall ratings fallen in Aus\NZ? In the US ratings are as high as ever (or even higher).

jelgate
May 17th, 2012, 01:27 PM

And we should care why? Your circle of friends and family has almost no impact on how long the show goes on. I look at the show at another angle. The search for the mother is just a plot line. Its not the main focus of the show. Its about the interaction of the gang

LT. COL. John Sheppard
May 18th, 2012, 01:49 AM
And we should care why? Your circle of friends and family has almost no impact on how long the show goes on. I look at the show at another angle. The search for the mother is just a plot line. Its not the main focus of the show. Its about the interaction of the gang
just saying

LT. COL. John Sheppard
May 18th, 2012, 01:52 AM
Have overall ratings fallen in Aus\NZ? In the US ratings are as high as ever (or even higher).
not sure about over all , but me and most of the 28 teachers and staff (+ my mates and some of theirs) all met at the bar on Monday to watch it so thats about 40-odd people

jelgate
May 18th, 2012, 07:06 AM
Do you know how statisically significant 40 people are?:P

aretood2
May 18th, 2012, 07:20 AM

28 teachers means that 28 individuals of that sample size are to similar (they like children and teaching and have a similar work environment). So that actually reduces the significance as well as the size itself. Sorry, couldn't resist :o

LT. COL. John Sheppard
May 19th, 2012, 08:35 PM
fascinating

Spimman
May 31st, 2012, 11:38 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqpPFT-F-bs&feature=autoplay&list=PL7747790899F71DD4&index=13&playnext=4

Really funny and well done!

mr_kennedy
September 24th, 2013, 04:04 AM
Season 9 Premier was pretty damn good heres hoping we get a great finale season

Kilgharrah
September 24th, 2013, 06:00 AM
Meh overall, but I liked having the mother in real scenes not just a sneak peek.

aretood2
September 24th, 2013, 01:47 PM
I thought that was tomorrow :(

jelgate
September 24th, 2013, 02:01 PM
Thier is always the Internet

aretood2
September 24th, 2013, 02:18 PM
*hears religious choir music* Fascinating.

Spimman
September 26th, 2013, 11:20 AM
I thought the first two episodes were both really funny. Lily and the mother on the train was hilarious and the Robin\Barney cousin thing was funny too. The desk clerk continually making comments about Ted, all the decoration in Barney's brothers room. In both episodes, Marshall was the least funny but there were a few funny moments.

What is everyone most looking forward to this season?
The final slap? I hope so!

mr_kennedy
September 26th, 2013, 03:10 PM
Yeah :) the finale slap, don't they need to tell the goat story something still?

and i hear that this season takes place over only a few days where barney and robin get married, bryan cranston is suppose to return as druthers character i wonder how they will play out

mr_kennedy
September 26th, 2013, 03:12 PM
i thought it was funny when lili tackled ted haha, i also really liked lili's moments with the mother and also ted's moments in the future :)

oh and the checkout guy was funny too

Spimman
September 27th, 2013, 06:36 AM
Yeah I'm unsure. The whole format only being the hours\days leading up until the wedding could throw a wrench in some things, but maybe we get some flash forwards and such...

Kilgharrah
October 1st, 2013, 11:01 AM
I was waiting for something more in the premiere. It wasn't quite what I expected. But it was still great.

I feel like time is not moving at all. Like we're being told everything second by second. I'm not against that. I mean The whole show moved slowly over the years, but not that slow. It'll get some time to get used to.

Episode 3 was a lot funnier and a lot more emotional as well.

In all 3 episodes, I liked the one playing Daphne (The woman Marshall hates and she hates him back). She's a really funny actress.

mr_kennedy
October 3rd, 2013, 07:31 AM
A small thing really

but i think it would be cool if barney (or Lili/Robin) played a game of HAVE YOU MET TED with ted (and its the mother)

mr_kennedy
October 7th, 2013, 09:41 PM
tele marshal: this place looks beaut *freezes*

barney: wait for it.......

:lol:

Morgania
October 8th, 2013, 01:28 PM
How long are the pre-wedding episodes going on?
I like them, but I also kinda wish they'd get on with it as well.

mr_kennedy
October 8th, 2013, 03:05 PM

I think its meant to run the course of the season or so i've heard

Spimman
October 11th, 2013, 05:13 AM

I think its meant to run the course of the season or so i've heard

Yeah, I think in the grand sceme of things this format isn't very successful on a season level. A few episodes maybe would be enough.

Morgania
October 13th, 2013, 08:55 PM
As a story being told to his future kids, it is rather long. And they should already know some of those things. (Like whom Ted's friends are married to.)

Gen. Chris
October 14th, 2013, 08:37 AM
Finally caught up on this...Thank you Netflix.

Spimman
October 14th, 2013, 09:07 AM
As a story being told to his future kids, it is rather long. And they should already know some of those things. (Like whom Ted's friends are married to.)

That in no way effects what the show is trying to accomplish. The show is basically a lot of short stories about how they all met, grew up, fell in love and become the people the kids grew up with.

mr_kennedy
October 22nd, 2013, 05:40 PM
I wonder if Ted is going to break down at this wedding :lol:

Spimman
November 25th, 2013, 06:53 PM
Worst.Episode.Ever.

Morgania
November 28th, 2013, 11:06 AM
Well, that was just ridiculous. Can they move things on already??

aretood2
December 5th, 2013, 05:22 PM
Old Ted is a really really really really long story teller. Those poor kids!

Morgania
December 6th, 2013, 12:00 PM
And why the long story about all the women Ted dated? Surely the kids know who their mom is.

Spimman
December 6th, 2013, 12:12 PM
The show name is just a device used to tell the overall and episode based stories.

aretood2
January 4th, 2014, 04:48 PM
The show name is just a device used to tell the overall and episode based stories.

Still, he is telling them the whole of the episode based stories, it fits his character though. That amounts to a true never ending story...Though I am glad the nonesene with Robin has finally been put to rest.

mr_kennedy
January 5th, 2014, 06:02 AM
maybe his always really drunk when he gets to telling the story of how he met there mother but then goes off and tells some other story that he thought was really cool at the time lol

Ted Mosby: *wakes up in the morning* OK this is going to be the day when i finally tell my kids how i met there mother, *gets drunk before telling the story* *wakes up next morning*........ CRAP

:lol:

mr_kennedy
March 25th, 2014, 02:08 AM
soo last episode next week, no more How I Met Your Mother after next week

nilo2207
March 25th, 2014, 04:37 AM
I was so disappionted with this ep... seriously, that T/R stuff AGAIN? (although today it came from the other side) She was being illogical and just unable to pick the right examples... GAH

I'm kind of glad it's ending, all the worrying about stuff is becoming a little too much. On the other hand I'm really sad there won't be any new eps to look forward too, my tuesday morning will feel so epty!

Morgania
March 25th, 2014, 08:06 PM
I liked the show, but some plots went on too long. Looking forward to seeing how they will wrap everything up next week.

Spimman
March 27th, 2014, 11:28 AM
Glad the entire last hour isn't a long wedding, guess we'll get an hour of a good wrap up episode...hopefully!

mr_kennedy
March 31st, 2014, 11:48 PM
So no more HIMYM :( but i quite liked the series finale i think i could re-watch the show at somepoint down the track

Morgania
April 1st, 2014, 01:12 AM
Saw the finale. Um, okay.

We had a whole season of a wedding just have them get divorced? Ted's kids telling him to ask out somebody they call 'aunt' is kinda weird. What was the deal with fate lady at the train stop? Who did Barney impragnent?

mr_kennedy
April 1st, 2014, 01:35 AM
Saw the finale. Um, okay.

We had a whole season of a wedding just have them get divorced? Ted's kids telling him to ask out somebody they call 'aunt' is kinda weird. What was the deal with fate lady at the train stop? Who did Barney impragnent?

The Whole time with the old lady i was like that's Ted's innerself telling him to go for it :lol: :lol: :p

We'll Robyn isn't really related to Ted's kid's but yeah it was kinda weird tho

It wasn't revealed who Barney impregnated during his "perfect month", but i'm sure there's been more then just one woman out there that Barney has impregnated i'm actually surprised it didn't happen sooner

jelgate
April 1st, 2014, 07:27 AM
Its not uncommon for kids to call friends of parents uncle and aunt if they see those people a lot. I used to call my mother's friends aunt and uncle just because I saw them so much. It was just for easy association when I was little and something we just associate.

Overall I was enjoyed by it but I definitly thought it was a sad finale.

nilo2207
April 3rd, 2014, 08:03 AM
I really hated it, they ruined the whole show for me!
I really don't understand why they would cling to their 8 year old ending and ruin everything just to get back to that...
:mad:
:(

jelgate
April 3rd, 2014, 08:20 AM
Really? You can't understand why writers would tell the story that they wanted to tell. The finale seems to be really polarizing. People love it or they just downright hate it. At least that is my impression over the Internet

Spimman
April 3rd, 2014, 10:41 AM
Overall I liked the ending ok, the episode has a whole was good. The main thing that bothered me was the years after the Robin\Barney divorce where the friends all drifted apart.

nilo2207
April 4th, 2014, 07:05 AM
I can't understand why the writers would reverse the 7 year character development just to be able to show the ending they wanted years ago. o me it was completely unnatural, didn't fit with what they have established character-wise in the last 6 years.

Britta
April 5th, 2014, 02:34 AM
Warning! Inbound wall of text! I just have to get my whole point across.

I really hated it, they ruined the whole show for me!
I really don't understand why they would cling to their 8 year old ending and ruin everything just to get back to that...
:mad:
:(

I can't understand why the writers would reverse the 7 year character development just to be able to show the ending they wanted years ago. o me it was completely unnatural, didn't fit with what they have established character-wise in the last 6 years.

The story was heading here all along, that's why it started with Ted meeting Robin. I don't see how it goes against character development either. Do you think they should have thrown out the ending they intended all along just to appease the fans? What about artistic integrity? You may not agree from that philosophical standpoint but allow me to explain my interpretation of the finale's more contentious plot points.

The Marriage, or There and Back Again

Robin and Barney were great together, up to a point. Much like Robin and Ted in the past, Robin and Barney were driven apart by their own priorities. They hated being apart, but couldn't be together without one of them sacrificing their dream so they called it quits. Love isn't always enough on it's own. This is not a reversal of character development, both have learnt that they can't skate by on chemistry.

Why then was the wedding weekend drawn out over the whole 9th season? A lot more happened! Lily was pregnant again, Ted let Robin go, and it immediately led to Ted finally meeting Tracy. It also appears that, despite her love for Barney, Robin started to consider that Ted may actually be the one for her.

The Playbook 2 - Electric Bangaloo

Barney no longer had a reason to be a better man, so he tried to enjoy the single life the way he always had by sleeping around. Shortly after Robin and Barney's first relationship ended, Barney attempted the Perfect Week. This time he attempts the Perfect Month. The girl from Day 31 gets pregnant, giving Barney a daughter.

A daughter gives Barney a new reason to be better. He was determined to be the father he had never had. Barney has not reversed in character development. He had a rough patch after the divorce, can you blame him? He has grown from a complete man-child to the person who is capable of having a loving relationship.

You can't always get what you want...

Tracy was the perfect woman for Ted. After spending a long time clinging to the idea that Robin was the one, Ted met Tracy and fell in love like never before. At this point I believe he stopped thinking of Robin as anything but one of his best friends. No part of him believed he would be happier with Robin. This may have been made more clear if a certain scene hadn't' been cut from the finale, but it was certainly implied.

Robin expressed the idea to Lily that Ted was the one she should have been with but it was too late. Ted was completely happy with the love of his life, Tracy, and two kids. There was no chance Ted would ever leave Tracy for Robin.

Tracy got ill and died. This didn't come out of nowhere, it was hinted at in "Vesuvius" when Tracy made a comment about mothers missing weddings and Ted got teared up. She told him not to be the man who lives in his stories, but to create new ones.

... But if you try sometimes, well you might find, you get what you need

When Ted starts telling his story to his kids in 2030, Tracy has been dead for 6 years. They have all had time to come to terms with that. Some viewers wonder why Tracy's death was skated over. The way I see it is that Ted is telling the story to his kids, not the viewers. The kids already know about their mother's illness and subsequent death, and hardly need to hear the whole painful story all over again.

As Ted's children deduced, Ted is not really telling them about their mother. The point of the story, as indicated by where it began, is to explain how he's in love with Robin again. While she can never replace Tracy, her and Ted really did have fun together. Furthermore, the main obstacles that got between them are no longer there. Robin has had her career and settled back in New York. Ted has kids, and has spent ten wonderful years with his perfect woman.

Ted and Robin are both in completely different points in their lives, and are no longer looking for the same things they once looked for in relationships. Who's to say they couldn't be happy together? Who's to say they shouldn't try? Tracy moved on from her dead boyfriend Max in order to be with Ted. This wasn't an insult to Max's memory, so why should Ted moving on be an insult to Tracy's? Ted ending up with Robin doesn't mean that Robin was actually the one instead of Tracy.

A touch of realism

Many viewers wanted a fairytale ending where everybody lived happily ever after. They dislike the show's more realistic ending because they go to TV to escape from their lives. That's not a bad thing. Everybody loves a bit of escapism at times. The show could have ended with Tracy living, Robin and Barney together, and everything perfect. Instead they chose to continue a long standing theme from How I Met Your Mother.

Time and time again HIMYM has taught us that we can't cling on to good times past. Even when it seems like all the good times are over we have the keep going and make new good times. Even after losing his perfect woman who he will never stop loving, Ted was able to find love again. Even the romantic in him had survived, as demonstrated by him going to Robin's apartment with the Blue French Horn.

Some do not see this as moving forwards but, rather, as moving backwards. They believe that Ted was in love with Robin all along and is just running back to her. I believe he fell back in love with her after grieving Tracy's death. Ted's kids indicated that Robin had been regularly coming over for dinner. Ted was in love with the new Robin who was ready to settle down. He was glad they hadn't stayed together before because, if they had, he would never have been with Tracy.

Theory of Love

Finally, does a person only ever get one great love? Tracy really loved Max, but then she really loved Ted. The fact that Ted could never truly replace Max didn't hinder a perfectly happy relationship. Sure Robin and Ted aren't as freaky compatible as Ted and Tracy but, as Ted said himself:

"But love doesn't make sense. You can't logic your way into or out of it. Love is totally nonsensical. But we have to keep doing it, or else we're lost and love is dead and humanity should just pack it in. Because love is the best thing we do."

Sure Robin can't be the raising a family type, that's a big part of why they couldn't work before. That doesn't matter anymore. Ted's had all of that. Robin wasn't enough for him before, but she is now. Robin couldn't fully reciprocate Ted's feelings in the past, but now she can. They both get to be happy again.

Isn't that a more touching story? It got through to this jaded heart.

P-90_177
April 5th, 2014, 05:26 AM
Excellent post Britta.

I whole heartedly agree. Plus if you again look at it from the point of view of a story being told to his kids over the course of...well what I bet is several hours... He does mention Robin A LOT. To his kids it's basically just going to sound like:
"well before I met your mother I first met Robin who I fell in love with on our very first date. Eventually we got together but we were in different places in our lives so we split up but I still loved her a lot despite everything else that happened... But that's ok kids because without her I wouldn't have met your mother."

I actually wouldn't be surprised if this ending wasn't the original intention of the writers, and I think the final season could have been done a lot better (I haven't been a huge fan of the format really) but it has been obvious since the first episode that Ted and Robin have chemistry, and I think all the ways they tried to make it seem like they don't in subsequent seasons (focussing on their differences and Robin's immaturity for example) kinda came across as forced.

Britta
April 5th, 2014, 05:37 AM
Thanks! I'm fairly certain it was what the writers originally intended. Robin and Ted's problem was never a lack of love or chemistry, it was timing and priorities. Having him live happily forever after with Tracy after starting his story with the night he met Robin would have been pretty cheap in my opinion. As for being upset about her being yanked away after how great she turned out to be, I would imagine that's much like how Ted feels.

I admire the writers more for having the guts to go through with it after the fans reception to Tracy.