PDA

View Full Version : Conan the Barbarian Discussion/Appreciation SPOILERS

Gate Traveller
June 22nd, 2010, 06:51 AM
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/First-Official-Photo-Of-The-New-Conan-Is-Online-19153.html

Above is a link to view the first photo from the CONAN reboot starring the actor formerly known as Ronon Dex, Jason Momoa!

I guess there have been some photos but they were small and blurry, this is the first full, clear shot of what he looks like in the role. If u find this interesting check it out and read the article too, its short. It'll be nice to a former SG star in a major motion picture.... Good Luck DEX!

GenieinaZPM
June 22nd, 2010, 06:52 AM
I definitely can NOT wait!!

GenieinaZPM
June 22nd, 2010, 06:53 AM
Oh wow....just clicked the link....he looks so different without the dreads!!!

jelgate
June 22nd, 2010, 07:00 AM
http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/72802-Jason-Momoa-scores-the-new-Conan-the-Barbarian-film!

Sue_Jackson
June 22nd, 2010, 09:55 AM
Oh....my! :eek: He looks ever HOTTER! :D I'm definitely seeing this movie! :D

magictrick
June 22nd, 2010, 10:30 AM
Wouldn't even recognize him

LtColCarter
June 22nd, 2010, 10:56 AM
Wouldn't even recognize him

Same here...without the goatee he looks totally different! :D But its still a good different! :D

Lt. Jeffer
June 22nd, 2010, 12:50 PM
Same here...without the goatee he looks totally different! :D But its still a good different! :D

this makes him younger now i will definetely watch this show :D

AnnieS
June 22nd, 2010, 12:58 PM
Will defenitly be on my MUST SEE movie list for next year!!!

Pharaoh Atem
June 22nd, 2010, 03:41 PM
Will defenitly be on my MUST SEE movie list for next year!!!

for stargate fans...

Replicator Todd
June 22nd, 2010, 03:49 PM
for stargate fans...

And fans of the Conan comics and Fantasy in general. ;)

Pharaoh Atem
June 22nd, 2010, 03:51 PM
And fans of the Conan comics and Fantasy in general. ;)

but to the everyday person who doesn't know jason it's going to be hard sell.

Replicator Todd
June 22nd, 2010, 04:20 PM
but to the everyday person who doesn't know jason it's going to be hard sell.

The movie? Sure people may not know who Jason Momoa is, but it is Conan, more people who know their fantasy or read comics avidly know who Conan the Barbarian than you or I could realize. I'm sure the movie well sell for some people.

Phantom6
June 22nd, 2010, 07:32 PM
I can't wait for this movie. Jason's going to do great.

Gate Traveller
June 23rd, 2010, 05:34 AM
The movie? Sure people may not know who Jason Momoa is, but it is Conan, more people who know their fantasy or read comics avidly know who Conan the Barbarian than you or I could realize. I'm sure the movie well sell for some people.

Its a an action classic movie remake, take it for what its worth. As for people not knowing who he his, well Movie sites have been reporting on the Conan remake for some time and have let users know that Jason Momoa from Stargate Atlantis was Conan. (While show was still on air)

The big issue with this right now is how Momoa (Or Ronnon Dex) Will compare to Arnold!

LtColCarter
June 23rd, 2010, 06:27 AM
Its a an action classic movie remake, take it for what its worth. As for people not knowing who he his, well Movie sites have been reporting on the Conan remake for some time and have let users know that Jason Momoa from Stargate Atlantis was Conan. (While show was still on air)

The big issue with this right now is how Momoa (Or Ronnon Dex) Will compare to Arnold!

Well, we'll be able to understand him when he speaks...and he looks better! ;)

meo3000
June 23rd, 2010, 08:08 AM
We know Momoa can simulate a great fight, we know he can actually act (compared to Arnold). I know we cant see much on the picture but his body looks more defined. A lot of people around the web are pissed its not a big muscle man who cant act (read WWE) who got the role, but im sure the movie is gonna be a hit. Apparently, this Conan is gonna be more like in the books

Momoa is gonna be a Hollywood action star after this so i guess unless he doesnt mind the pay cut, we wont see him in the SGA movie.

Phantom6
June 23rd, 2010, 08:24 PM
We know Momoa can simulate a great fight, we know he can actually act (compared to Arnold). I know we cant see much on the picture but his body looks more defined. A lot of people around the web are pissed its not a big muscle man who cant act (read WWE) who got the role, but im sure the movie is gonna be a hit. Apparently, this Conan is gonna be more like in the books

Momoa is gonna be a Hollywood action star after this so i guess unless he doesnt mind the pay cut, we wont see him in the SGA movie.

Apparently the Conan movies we got before were actually based on the creators OTHER work "Kull the Conqueror" instead of his Conan stories. Interestingly, the Kevin Sorbo movie "Kull" was based on a Conan story.

LtColCarter
June 24th, 2010, 06:42 AM
Apparently the Conan movies we got before were actually based on the creators OTHER work "Kull the Conqueror" instead of his Conan stories. Interestingly, the Kevin Sorbo movie "Kull" was based on a Conan story.

:lol:

Gollumpus
August 16th, 2011, 11:06 AM
So, anyone (else) planning on seeing this?

From what I've seen, there looks to be a lot of cliche, slo-mo Matrix-like effects for the 3-D crowd. Production values on the sets don't look too bad. And then I saw this (note: it's a bit gory for those who are squeamish):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg0Q92r6Fk8

Once again, not too novel an idea, but it was fairly well executed. Hopefully, it can come up to the level of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBGOQ7SsJrw

regards,
G.

Admiral Mappalazarou
August 16th, 2011, 11:11 AM
The first reviews have come through quite favourable about this film, which surprises me. I expected it to get mauled.

Sp!der
August 16th, 2011, 11:36 AM
I am definitely gonna watch it and if only to see Ronan on big screen! Hope Jason moma is gonna get his success, I wish him much luck!!

chrono trigger
August 16th, 2011, 12:06 PM
i will watch as i tend to watch anything stargate sg1/sga actors are in.:o

Egle01
August 16th, 2011, 12:26 PM
So, anyone (else) planning on seeing this?Don't have exactly high hopes, but definitely plan to check it out. :)

Hyndara71
August 16th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Surely. As Howard-fan I have to watch this adaption.

Teddybrown
August 16th, 2011, 01:22 PM
It looks good, but I probably wont have time to go see it in the cinema.
Ill watch it when its out on DVD.

Everlovin
August 17th, 2011, 04:29 PM
If I manage to get the money together, I'll be watching it!

Gollumpus
August 18th, 2011, 09:50 PM
Oh dear, looks like the reviews for this flick are not all that good. I'll still be seeing it, but I'll wait for the crowds to die down.

regards,
G.

magictrick
August 19th, 2011, 07:56 AM
Oh dear, looks like the reviews for this flick are not all that good. I'll still be seeing it, but I'll wait for the crowds to die down.

regards,
G.

Well I don't think anyone was expecting this to be a five star movie :P As long as it is an enjoyable popcorn action flick it should be fine.

Gollumpus
August 19th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Well I don't think anyone was expecting this to be a five star movie :P As long as it is an enjoyable popcorn action flick it should be fine.

Yeah, I'm willing to give a flick a break even if the critics don't like it, but from yesterday to today the critic reviews are as low as they were before and the audience reaction has dropped by 25%.

regards,
G.

Adventurous
August 19th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Much as I adore just watching Jason Momoa move, this one sounds like grist for the Neflix queue.

AnnieS
August 19th, 2011, 11:44 PM
I went to see it today. And all I can say is DAMN JASON MOMOA IS ONE SEXY SEXY MAN!!!!

I was actually really good. And I say at least see it on the big screen in 3D at least once!!

Wyrminarrd
August 20th, 2011, 03:24 PM
I went to see it today. And all I can say is DAMN JASON MOMOA IS ONE SEXY SEXY MAN!!!!

I was actually really good. And I say at least see it on the big screen in 3D at least once!!

How were you actually really good?:jack_new15:

I just came back from seeing it in 2D and I rather liked the movie. This is hardly a masterpiece of cinema but even so it was well worth seeing.

Given the pace of the movie and the editing I would have thought that seeing it in 3D would be annoying.

the fifth man
August 20th, 2011, 09:57 PM
I have seen so many movies at the theater this summer, I will probably have to wait until this one comes out on DVD.

TheRandomOne
August 21st, 2011, 05:06 PM
Well guys this movie did not even come in the top three at the Box Office

Wyrminarrd
August 21st, 2011, 05:21 PM
Shame, the movie wasn't were good but it was still an ok summer popcorn flick and I wouldn't have minded a sequel. I guess the odds on that happening are next to none.

the fifth man
August 21st, 2011, 07:25 PM
It is a shame this isn't doing very well.

TheRandomOne
August 21st, 2011, 10:50 PM
This was a bad weekend to release any new movie. Did studios really think that parents & adult teachers would drop everything they are doing to get ready to go back to school tomorrow ? Since pretty much anyone not back in school goes back tomorrow. This was a terrible weekend for new movies

jfby
August 22nd, 2011, 03:04 AM
I recommend it ... to girls. Because Jason Momoa is damn hot (even though too much muscles, I prefer lean muscles). The movie is not that good, it's entertaining that's it.

Admiral Mappalazarou
August 22nd, 2011, 05:27 AM
Yep. Reviews have since gone to hell after that first day. Nevermind.

AnnieS
August 22nd, 2011, 10:38 AM
How were you actually really good?:jack_new15:

I just came back from seeing it in 2D and I rather liked the movie. This is hardly a masterpiece of cinema but even so it was well worth seeing.

Given the pace of the movie and the editing I would have thought that seeing it in 3D would be annoying.

Sorry, mean't to say "IT" was actually pretty good lol.

AlbinoMonkeyC
August 22nd, 2011, 07:08 PM
How many of you were making really bad Stargate comments during the film?

johndoe4880
August 23rd, 2011, 09:52 AM
I saw this movie and thought it was pretty good too.

I read a Script to it and the script that i read Really diffrent from the movie.

johndoe4880
August 23rd, 2011, 09:55 AM
Was Jason Momoa to blame for Conan's failure to conquer the box office?

That resounding thud you heard this weekend was the sound of a Cimmerian dropping like a stone as the Conan the Barbarian remake rounded up a mere $10 million in box office receipts over its opening weekend. The film, which cost $90 million to produce and debuted on some 3,000 screens, is a flop by any measure, and now it's time to point some fingers.
One could argue that the world was simply not ready to revisit the world of Conan, or that the new flick bore too little a resemblance to its Schwarzeneggerian predecessor. But some pundits are placing the blame squarely on the beefy shoulders of the guy playing Conan, Jason Momoa, who they believe didn't have the profile to carry the movie, especially when compared to a wrestler or someone with an already-built-in fanbase.

An unnamed Lionsgate exec defended the choice, saying:

"There's so much history with this character and this brand they needed someone who could both really 'own' Conan (making him feel relatable for this generation), but also who offered continuity with what fans already know and love. Because there's no competing with Arnold, Jason's performance bypasses all of the comparisons, playing the character in a very different way than Arnold did and instead taking inspiration from the written source."

What do you think? Was Momoa to blame for Conan's failure, or did the former Khal Drogo carry an otherwise weak film?

Source http://blastr.com/2011/08/was-jason-momoa-to-blame.php

Wyrminarrd
August 23rd, 2011, 04:04 PM
No, Momoa was good in the role, much better than some wrestler would have been. I think that the 3D is to blame for the movies lack of success, I saw the movie in 2D and liked it but would probably have liked it a lot less in 3D as there are a lot of quick cuts and fast pans in this movie.

the fifth man
August 23rd, 2011, 06:36 PM
Jason should definitely not be blamed for the failure of this film. I am sure he did a fine job in the role.

johndoe4880
August 23rd, 2011, 08:14 PM
I agree with all of you I really didn't know where to post this article so i figure to post it here but i do agree with you folks that he wasn't to blame.

mandogater
August 23rd, 2011, 10:11 PM
I watched Conan today with only one other person there which totally suprised me. I really don't get the bad reviews. Summer action flicks never have much of any plot and lots of action and explosions. This movie had action, action, and more action. Did I forget to mention the action? Maybe it's just that sword fights are too old fashioned for critics now?

johndoe4880
August 24th, 2011, 06:00 AM
Stan Lee Suing Producers Of Conan The Barbarian For Rights And 100% Of The Movies Profits!
Stan "The Man" Lee is reportedly suing the producers of the recent movie, claiming that his company 'Stan Lee Media' still own the rights to the character and were obtained by Nu Image/Millennium Films illegally...

Legendary comic book creator Stan Lee is suing the producers of Conan the Barbarian for 100% of the 2011's profits, amid claims that the rights to the character were stolen from his company over a decade ago. According to a report over at the New York Post, the company he founded in 1998 ("Stan Lee Media") obtained the rights to the character in 2000.

The lawsuit was filed in LA on August 19th, and states that the company's bankruptcy should have stopped anyone else from purchasing the rights, especially as it's claimed that a former lawyer for Lee's company made an illegal deal for the rights to be transferred to Nu Image/Millennium Films, who produced the recent 3D flop. The transfer of Conan is rendered void because back in 2002, "the shares of Conan Properties and all other assets of SLMI were part of a bankruptcy estate and protected from unauthorized transfer by the automatic bankruptcy stay."

Basically, the lawsuit demands restoration of rights over the franchise and full movie profits. What this would then mean for the future of the character is uncertain. However, after the disappointing financial debut of the movie at the US box office, it's unlikely we'll see Conan again all that soon either way!

NOTE: As has been pointed out below, Stan Lee is no longer associated with "Stan Lee Media," but due to conflicting reports, it is currently unclear whether or not he is actually involved with this case

source http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/joshw24/news/?a=44968

shipper hannah
August 24th, 2011, 09:24 AM
I watched Conan today with only one other person there which totally suprised me. I really don't get the bad reviews. Summer action flicks never have much of any plot and lots of action and explosions. This movie had action, action, and more action. Did I forget to mention the action? Maybe it's just that sword fights are too old fashioned for critics now?

I hardly think that's the reason the movie is getting terrible reviews. Action and explosions don't make a good movie. Story, script and acting are far more important.

Legendary comic book creator Stan Lee is suing the producers of Conan the Barbarian for 100% of the 2011's profits

Assuming it makes a profit..

Did anyone seriously think this was going to be good?

johndoe4880
August 24th, 2011, 09:36 AM
Assuming it makes a profit..

Did anyone seriously think this was going to be good?

indeed

knowles2
August 24th, 2011, 05:09 PM
I do not see how they can blame a actor for a flop of the movie, plenty of movies success with unknown actors.

In the UK I have not seen a single advert for the film, not even sure if it is out yet. If anything to blame the lack of adverts is probably the biggest. An may be the congested summer, there a lot of big hits coming out this year, with much bigger franchises and fans.

If it true that they are being sued for profits then it would make sense for the studio behind this film to make sure the accounts register a break even or a slight loss for the movie that way they pay less in the court case.

johndoe4880
August 24th, 2011, 06:00 PM
I have seen tv spots Green band and red band tv Spots and even red band and green bad trailers.

Augest 24th is sposed to be the release date for Conan in the UK.

they have a website on the facebook Page of Conan Form the USA

https://www.facebook.com/ConanTheBarbarian?ref=ts